Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Poll

Which Fairy Tale would you prefer to write about?

Cinderella
- 3 (8.6%)
Snow White
- 2 (5.7%)
Sleeping Beauty
- 3 (8.6%)
Peter Pan
- 4 (11.4%)
Hansel and Gretel
- 5 (14.3%)
Little Red Riding Hood
- 4 (11.4%)
Robin Hood
- 4 (11.4%)
Jack and the Beanstalk
- 3 (8.6%)
The Gingerbread Man
- 1 (2.9%)
Beauty and the Beast
- 6 (17.1%)
Aurura and Aimee
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: July 21, 2013, 07:22:15 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Fairy Tale Challenge  (Read 79440 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Fairy Tale Challenge
« on: July 11, 2013, 05:30:03 PM »

When I was going through the old question threads, compiling questions, I got a kick out of this post from Mare about a fun-sounding fairy tale challenge.

I was laying in bed when I thought of this question so I got up and put my computer on before I fell asleep and forgot all about it lol That's dedication!

Anyway, since we've been talking about niches and what we think defines who we are as writers, my mind went to an idea for a challenge. To take a fairy tale like The Three Little Pigs for instance and anonymously write our own versions of it and then people would have to guess who wrote what just based on our styles and what we would do to the characters etc... like if I wrote it, I would focus mainly on their brotherly bond as they all fought the evil wolf. If Julie wrote it I'm pretty sure one of them would end up dying of swine flu? If Rose wrote it, one of the pigs would end up as bacon and be eaten by the others, Lore and Steph might have them accidentally transported to another universe, Saka Steph might have the black sheep angsting about the situation, Tracy might have a psycho pig move next door, Karah might have a female pig move in etc... but then after I came to the realization that everyone would say "YAY that sounds like fun!" but no one would actually do it! (besides Tracy and maybe Steph) I figured it would make a pretty great question instead, so here's the question after that big lead up! lmao

Pick a fairy tale that you think best matches up with yourself and your 'niche' and explain why.

I think in my case it would be The Three Little Pigs. You have the brotherly bond. The older one is stubborn and shakes his head at the younger two until he's needed by them at the end to rescue them from the wolf. It's tailor made for me lol

So, what about you guys? For fun you can also name some fairy tales you think other writers would pick as theirs.

And now I can go back to bed lmao I'm such a dorky loser!

It was fun just thinking of an answer to this question, but the actual challenge Mare suggested sounds pretty fun, too, and you know I'm not a challenge person!  I am an elementary school teacher, though, so I love a good fractured fairy tale LOL.

Would anyone be interested in actually doing something like this?  If so, there are a couple of ways we could go about doing it (maybe more, if you guys have other suggestions).  Per Mare's suggestion, we could either decide on a well-known fairy tale, like The Three Little Pigs, that we would all write our own versions of that best fits what we're known for writing, or we could each write our own BSB fanfic version of a fairy tale of our choice.  Or we could combine those ideas and each try to Backstreet-ize the same fairy tale, while putting our own twist on it.  I would just suggest we not do The Three Little Pigs, since Mare already came up with some awesome examples of what we'd each do it with LOL.

Let me know your thoughts on which way you'd want to do it.  If we decide we want to all write the same fairy tale, we can discuss which fairy tale then.

EDIT:  Looks like this is a go!  Here's the challenge:

• You are to write your own version of Beauty and the Beast, starring the Backstreet Boys, which fits into your writing "niche."  It should be the type of story you are known for writing - see the quote from Mare in my original post for examples.

• To add to the challenge, you will post your story anonymously on the site, and we will try to guess who wrote each tale, based on your writing style and the type of story you wrote. Mare has created an account that we can all use to post the stories.  The username is "challenges," and the password is "acbsb."  When your story is done, just log in to that account and post it.  After the challenge is over and we're all done guessing, you can add yourself as a co-author if you want it to show up on your account.

• There is no word count limit for this challenge, but since fairy tales are traditionally short, it should be a one-shot, not a novel.

• The deadline to post your story is August 31.  That gives you over a month to write it.  After that, I will compile a list of all the challenge entries here, and we'll start playing the guessing game!  Until then, don't post any guesses, and don't let us know when you've completed the challenge, or you might give it away.

Here is a link to the traditional version of Beauty and the Beast, if you want to read it for reference: http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/beauty.html  Feel free to use anything from the Disney movie or other versions, too.  As long as your story is recognizable as a twist on Beauty and the Beast, anything goes!

Challenge Entries:

Shorty and the Deceased (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11123)
written by RokofAges75

Unintended (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11124)
written by Carter-Orange

Judy and the Beast (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11126)
written by Mare

Prisoner (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11127)
written by DelphinaCarter

Beauty and the Backstreet Boy (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11129)
written by RokofAges75

Brian and the Beast (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11130)
written by Carterkid

My What a Guy (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11132)
written by Julilly

Nick and Belle.... (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11146)
written by Alexsgirl_ritz

Beauty & The Extra-Terrestrial Beast (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11150)
written by Carter-Orange

Code Name: Beauty (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11157)
written by Purpura Lipstick

The Beast's Beauty (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11158&warning=4)
written by Mamogirl

Blondie and the Beast (http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11161)
written by Rose
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 09:00:43 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Fairy Tale Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 06:43:47 PM »

I forgot about this one! LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:09:25 PM »

Me too!  It made me laugh so much last night, though.  There are a lot of funny moments in those threads; I should have compiled those too LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:10:35 PM »

LOL maybe on another night when you're bored!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 07:25:21 PM »

LOL maybe on another night when you're bored!

Ha, we'll see!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »

I like this! I could use a challenge to kick me in the butt. I say we do something like the Bus Crash challenge forever ago. Where we take maybe only a small list of fairy tales (or even just one) and put our own personal and backstreetized spin on them.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »

I'd probably try to Backstreet-ize Little Red Riding Hood.  I'd keep Little Red, of course, but make her a mature young woman asked by her parents - one of whom would be one of the guys, perhaps - to visit her grandmother. On the way, she meets the "wolf", perhaps another of the guys, who is either a werewolf or as one of Webster's definitions "a man forward, direct, and zealous in amatory attentions to women" or he's just called "Wolf". Wolf travels with Little Red for a while, or just misdirects her or something while he heads to grandma's. I'll probably have her meet up with at least one other of the guys on the way, maybe one tries to persuade her not to take the trail she eventually chooses - thus meeting up with the wolf - and maybe she meets the woodcutter, or whatever he really is, before she gets to grandma's, and he shows up again and rescues her from the wolf at grandma's.

Or maybe I'll modernize/sci-fi Little Red. Can you see Little Red as a bounty hunter? LOL :P
"What's life without a few dragons?" Ron - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day which says, 'I will try again tomorrow.' - Author Unknown

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."  ~Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 10:16:32 PM »

Ooh I am down for this. Need to get my muse in gear.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »

Besides The Three Little Pigs, the only other one I could see me doing is Hansel and Gretel. lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 12:05:30 AM »

So are we thinking each of us pick our own fairy tale and Backstreet-ize it?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 04:32:51 AM »

I have no idea lol

If we all picked the same one or we picked different ones, the only one I could see myself doing is Hansel and Gretel but I'm also not sure I would do it, so it really depends on everyone else. I do think we should Backstreet-ize them though. Throwing them in as the main characters would be a lot more fun to read and write I think.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 04:38:24 AM »

Yeah, I agree about Backstreet-izing them, especially if we're all going to choose different ones... which I'm fine with.  I'm thinking of doing Sleeping Beauty.

I love Hansel and Gretel; that was always one of my favorite fairy tales.  Please include some cannibalism!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 06:37:20 AM »

I think we should make a list of the most well known ones and have people choose from that.

So...

Cinderella
Snow White
Hansel and Gretel
Little Red Riding Hood
Sleeping Beauty
Peter Pan

I know I'm forgetting some but I haven't been to bed yet!

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 06:40:18 AM »

I'd say if we're choosing our own, let's let people choose whatever they want.  If it's one of the more obscure ones that everyone might not know, they could post a link to the original - I think most of them can be found online.

Are we going to allow duplicates, like more than one person tackling the same fairy take, or limit it to one person per tale?
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 06:43:06 AM »

Okay, you make a good point about just linking to the obscure ones.

I feel like we should allow duplicates. One of the coolest things about the Bus Crash challenge was seeing how it was one idea but everyone went somewhere different with it. We really do need another "Same Plot, Different Author" challenge.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12