Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36

Author Topic: Question of the day part 10  (Read 89245 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Question of the day part 10
« on: July 23, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »

Just thought I'd start a brand new thread since the other one was well over 700 posts.

Julie just asked:

Have you ever crossed that line in your own writing, either by taking it over the top or writing something you swore you would never write?

In reference to taking things way over the top in the drama category!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 10
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:00:03 AM »

Yay, new thread!  We were chatty in that last one!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:05:40 AM »

Yes we were but chatty is good! I'd rather chatty than dead! lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:14:49 AM »

Have you ever crossed that line in your own writing, either by taking it over the top or writing something you swore you would never write?

I don't think I have in terms of things I would never write, the only things that I consider really off limits are killing existing BSB kids (not fictional ones) and writing about real life drama as it's happening and I haven't done either of those things.

In terms of drama, I have. I had Nick rescue "Steph" from a burning down basement, only for her to get smakced in the head with some falling woodbeam, get amnesia and forget that she confessed her love to him. So dumb lol.

I'm also going to answer a few older questions and attempt to play catch-up from last week!

395. Is there any story of yours that if it was read, you'd be afraid to be judged solely by that story?
Probably What Becomes of the Broken Hearted, as it's still on my AC profile solely to show how much I think I've grown as a writer. Plus I was really proud of it at the time of writing it and it's one of the first stories I ever finished. I don't have the heart to take it down, but I sort of hope no one ever reads it and seriously thinks that's how I still write!

396. On AC, go into your Account Info and Reviews Received and look at your stats.  What is your highest-reviewed story?  How about your lowest-reviewed?  Why do you think these two stories got the amount of reviews they did?
Highest is Forever Like This at 235... I honestly don't know why that has so many. I'd say it was because it was a romance-drama starring Nick, and maybe it's because of the amount of ust in it, waiting for the characters to hook up. It's sort of weird to me considering that when I was writing it I had zero intention of posting it.

Lowest is a tie between two one-shots, Rogues of the Sea and I Close the Door at two reviews each. The first because it's a really short AU starring Nick as a pirate (I think... I don't even remember) I wrote it as a challenge and because it's so far our of my comfort zone it's really not my best work. I Close the Door is in Kevin's POV and doesn't star any of the other guys, so that's probably why that one is low.

397. Do you base the number of reviews a story has (yours or someone else's) on how good or bad it must be?
I do and I don't. If it has a high number of reviews then I might be more inclined to check it out, but once I start reading the number of reviews doesn't keep me around. I might look at some of the reviews to see what people are saying about the story and who is reading it, honestly. Plus, like I said before Room 317 trended on twitter, and I hated it. I only finished reading it so I wouldn't be completely out of the loop in that fandom.

398. Do you let awards influence what you read? If you had a choice between reading something that had no awards and something that did would you choose based on that? How important is it for your stories to win awards or does it not matter one way or the other?
Same as the review answer - I might be more inclined to check it out but it doesn't sway me that much. Of course it would be nice for my stories to win awards and I'm so happy that I have some, but especially since I've now started over in a new fandom I don't place a lot of emphasis on it. Doing that will only lead to disappointment .

399. What are the first five stories that pop into your mind when you think of popular stories and have you read them and enjoyed them?

Oreos for Breakfast
Broken
With The Band
Where Can We Go From Here
Signal to Noise

I've read all of them except for Signal to Noise! And I really did enjoy all of them - for a while Oreos was the only fanfic I was following, because I didn't know about AC. I thought it was the only one out there! I shamelessly loved it though and I re-read it multiple times while waiting for updates lol. I'm sure if I went back and read it now I'd still enjoy it, if just for the nostalgia of it.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

usako

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 09:32:22 AM »

I think I've crossed the line when I started to write my first "rape" story. But I don't think I've ever crossed that line because, before posting, I'm always asking myself or my friend if it's too much or not.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 09:43:03 AM »

I don't think I ever really took things over the top that much. I guess sometimes I feel like I hit my limit when it comes to dark with It Stays but I can't really say that I've written anything too out there drama wise. There's a lot of stuff going on in my Scars story and Whatever the Night but the action is divided pretty evenly between all the boys so it's not one person getting all the grief. I am an equal opportunity drama queen! :) LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 10:03:17 AM »

My most over the top (serious) story is my old girl band story, Through Thick and Thin, which sounds a lot like that Room 317 story in terms of the drama that happened.  There was a car accident that killed Leighanne and one of the girls' boyfriends, which then led to her hooking up with Brian.  One of the girls got cancer, and another one had an eating disorder.  The fourth girl had a baby with Howie who died of SIDS.  I'm sure there was more that I can't even remember LOL.  And the worst part is that all of those things happened to the girls; I didn't even torture the Boys too much, except when it would tie back to the girls.  Ugh!  That was a looong time ago, though, back when I enjoyed reading stories like this and that plane crash one too LOL.

These days, I try to limit myself to drama that is realistic to the situation I've put my characters in - like Mare said in the other thread, a ripple effect off of the main problem in the story.  I may have toed that line in BMS, but with the exception of the car accident and their relationship drama, everything bad that happened to Nick and Claire in that story could be tied back to their cancer treatment.  That was how I justified it.  Curtain Call may have come close to the line just for being really depressing, but I actually backed off and didn't write some of the options in my outline to keep it from crossing that line.

That said, I started a new novel last week that makes Curtain Call look like a comedy, and now I'm trying to work on this Beauty and the Beast story for the fairy tale challenge, which is even worse.  If either story actually makes it online, you will know that I no longer have any "line" or standards.  I will have gone from a drama queen to a drama whore.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:04:56 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

usako

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 10:10:25 AM »

I will have gone from a drama queen to a drama whore.

Remember that you're part of the Angst group. LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 10:13:23 AM »

Remember that you're part of the Angst group. LOL

LOL True!  I may ask your opinion on this new one if it gets to the point where I'm considering posting it.
~Julie

usako

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 10:16:05 AM »

LOL True!  I may ask your opinion on this new one if it gets to the point where I'm considering posting it.

You're welcome! It will be an honor  :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 10:28:14 AM »

Lol drama whore

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 11:19:48 AM »

Hey guys. Not answering any questions. Just wanted to say hey. :)

PS: I just opened Google Docs for the first time in.... well, a long time, so I think that's a valid excuse for not answering questions.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »

Yay! :)
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 12:07:52 PM »

Yay! Yes it is!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 01:03:04 PM »

Cool! hopefully it's to write and not just because you forgot what it looked like! LOL
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36