Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36

Author Topic: Question of the day part 10  (Read 89893 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 10
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 01:05:58 PM »

Cool! hopefully it's to write and not just because you forgot what it looked like! LOL

I was going to write then I realized I need to do a lot of reading to figure out what the heck I'm writing about LOL
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »

I was going to write then I realized I need to do a lot of reading to figure out what the heck I'm writing about LOL

Well, that's a good start! LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 05:41:33 PM »

Do you know something is going to be a one shot before you start to write it? Do you ever intend for your one shot to be a novel but then realize it works better as a shorter story? Or maybe it's the other way around. Have you ever written something you thought was only going to be one chapter and then decide to make a full blown novel out of it?

What are some of your inspirations when writing a one shot as opposed to a long novel?

Which of the two do you prefer to write?

Do you ever set chapter limits on yourself when writing? What about reading? Do you tend to enjoy reading shorter stories or novels?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »

Do you know something is going to be a one shot before you start to write it? Do you ever intend for your one shot to be a novel but then realize it works better as a shorter story? Or maybe it's the other way around. Have you ever written something you thought was only going to be one chapter and then decide to make a full blown novel out of it?
I always know before I start to write a new story whether it's going to be a one-shot, novella, or novel.  I don't think I've ever switched between a one-shot and a novel.  The most I've done is turn what might have started as a one-shot into a short story with several chapters instead of just one.  My pandaskunk story was like that; I knew it was going to be a short story, but it just worked better in parts, so I broke it up into ten short chapters instead of one long one.

Up until this summer, I had never turned a one-shot into a novel, but the new story I started writing last week is sort of a continuation of the slash one-shot I posted not too long ago.  I got the idea for the novel after I got the idea for the one-shot, and the reason I went ahead and wrote the one-shot was to see how that came out and how it was received before I decided whether or not to proceed with a longer story.  The jury's still out on the novel; I've written three chapters of it, but it's definitely in that "crossing the line" territory I talked about in my answer to the last question, so I'm not sold on it yet.

What are some of your inspirations when writing a one shot as opposed to a long novel?
These days, most of my one-shots are for challenges.  I've never been a big fan of writing them, but occasionally I will get inspired by a song or something (like a random flying pandaskunk in a Christmas music video), or I look at the calendar and realize April Fool's Day is coming up and I have no idea what to do for my site.  Six out of the eight short stories I've written in the last five years have been for challenges or holiday-related jokes.

I prefer novels because I like being able to really get into a story and let it develop over time, but it's fun to take a break from them and write a one-shot every now and then.  I love all of the one-shots I've written in recent years.

Do you ever set chapter limits on yourself when writing? What about reading? Do you tend to enjoy reading shorter stories or novels?
I don't set limits for myself, although I do like to end stories on nice, round numbers of chapters whenever possible, and I will put pressure on myself to make those goals.

As far as reading goes, I prefer reading novels to short stories for the same reason I prefer writing them - I enjoy being able to get into a good story and see how the characters change from the beginning to the end.  A good, long novel is like an epic, cross-country journey, compared to the trip across town you get with a short story.  Both can be enjoyable, but the payoff of finishing a novel is bigger and more rewarding to me.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 06:40:34 PM »

I was going to answer this as part of my writing process answer but as it's fitting I'll just answer here! Coming up with an idea that I know is going to be a one shot right away is easy - usually my one shots have less plot and are more of a scene. I find that a one shot is easiest to write and makes the most sense when the climax of whatever backstory has happened is the most important part, and the rest can be summed up in one or two paragraphs.

When I get an idea that needs to be a longer story as opposed to a one shot, I just seem to know it. First of all, the idea is really big and requires a lot more thought and exploration than the 2,000ish words that a one shot allows. That, and I get way more excited about big ideas and if I just wrote them as a one shot, I don't think I'd feel satisfied with them. I almost feel like they deserve more than just being a one off, like whatever that idea is deserves more attention than that.

That being said, I'm working on a story right now that feels like it should be a lot longer, but I'm trying it out as a one-shot with short snippets of scenes instead of each scene being longer and warranting the story to be split up into chapters. I'll see how it goes, because it's something really new for me.

Usually my one shot ideas come from something that actually happened. I'll hear or see something in an interview and think "I should write about that!" Like that picture Leighanne randomly tweeted of hers and Brian's wedding a while ago. I think Nick looked really happy in it, and for whatever reason I thought that was weird so I decided to explore that. I don't think I could have turned that into a chaptered story if I had wanted to.

When a big idea comes to me it's usually something that's a bit different, and that I know I want to explore even further. I knew for a long time I wanted to write a soccer AU, and I knew that it would have to be long because I'd have to give more backstory onto the different teams and the character motivations to make it interesting and to make it seem like these people were actually soccer players instead of in a boyband.

I honestly like them both equally! I like being able to devote time to an idea, but I like the instant feeling of accomplishment that a one shot brings lol

Not really. I used to try to get my stories finished around 20-35 chapters, but in the past year I've written two stories with 40+ chapters so that's kind of out the window. I just write and the story ends where it ends, I try not to draw it out too long. When I was writing Where You Are I thought it was going to be around 30-35 chapters but it ended up being only 25 because it felt right to end it around there.

Again, not picky with reading one shots or novels. As long as it's good and has a plot/characters I enjoy I'm cool to read either of them.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »

but I like the instant feeling of accomplishment that a one shot brings lol

I so agree with that! LOL It's nice to be able to check that "complete" box on something and have a finished story, all in one chapter!
~Julie

usako

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 01:35:16 AM »

Yes, I definetely know before writing if it's gonna be a shot or a novel. And it has happened both way: the story I'm writing now it started as an one - shot but then I realized that it would end up being 30 pages long so I decided to divide it in three chapters. The fact is that I'm still not able to stop myself into writing: if it was for me, I would tell everything about a particular story.

It depends. Usually it's something related to what happens to the boys, like a particular interview, or a video, or a scene from the concert. It might be a song or part of it, like right now I'm dying to write something related to "Breathe". Once I wrote this little shot after watching Nick's video chat and hm saying that he missed Brian a lot.  :D

I love both. The one shot because I can complete them quickly. lol But novel are so much better because you have all the time and space to create characters and the plotline, see them move around the situations and the various dramas (lol). 

I used to set chapter limits but then I stopped because I never respect them. lol
As for reading, it depends. While my top favorite are really long novels, I admit that I have a soft spot for the one shot, especially if they are little scenes here and then.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 07:54:59 AM »

I always know when I am going to write a short story versus a longer one. Now whether it will be a novelette I usually don't figure out until I'm in the middle of the writing process, but at the most those usually turn into no more than 3 chapters. I'll do that if I feel like my word count is getting way up there.

I've never decided to make a one shot into a longer novel but I have decided to build a collection out of some of them like I did with the London based ones last summer (Scattered Pictures) and the outcome of a crazy fan's rampage. (Beautiful Girl) Or Nick and Kevin's relationship (A Symphony of Friendship)

Most of the time it has to do with some kind of special event, like most of you have said. For me, I tend to write one every year for Nick's birthday and usually one for April Fools. Most of the the ones I have written have been challenge stories or specific moments in time. I'm never inspired by songs though. Song fics don't do anything for me.  

I think I enjoy both but lately it's gotta be the short stories. Less stress. You say what you want to say and that's that! LOL

I don't ever consciously do it, but looking back on my novels, it seems like I tend to end things at around 40 - 45 chapters or less. Very rarely do I tend to go over that.

I don't enjoy reading things with a ton of chapters. I think I find it overwhelming. If I'm reading as it's being updated that's different but if I click on it and it has more than 50 chapters, I actually do take the time to decide if I want to make that kind of commitment. LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 07:57:58 AM »

Looking back on your novels, go check and see how many chapters each one is.

What is your longest one?

What is your shortest one?

Obviously do not include your one shots in this answer! LOL

Going along with that, is your longest one the one with the most reviews? And your shortest the one with the least?

What about read counts? (even though I HATE those! LOL)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 08:41:49 AM »

I'm only including finished novels that are on AC for this.

What is your longest one?  By My Side (202 chapters)

What is your shortest one?  Secrets of the Heart (25 chapters)

Going along with that, is your longest one the one with the most reviews? And your shortest the one with the least?
Nope!  I think if I had posted BMS on AC as I was writing it, it probably would be my most-reviewed story, but that honor goes to Curtain Call.  BMS only has 299 reviews.

Secrets has 135 reviews.  My least-reviewed novel (and also one of my shortest) is Identical with 5 reviews for 27 chapters, which I posted all at one time several years after finishing the story on my site.

What about read counts?
My longest story is not my most read.  BMS has 41,260 hits, while Broken (my most read) has over twice that.

On the other hand, Secrets actually is my least read novel with 2,894 hits.  That is interesting because Identical, which is also a Brian story of about the same length and only has 5 reviews, has 5,535 hits, and I know it's not from me clicking on it because I can't remember the last time I even looked at that story LOL.  So there's a case of a lot of people reading (or at least clicking) and not bothering to review, maybe because the story was already finished.  I posted Secrets as I was writing it, so I had a small but loyal following who left reviews for every chapter.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »

After looking at my read count stats, I'm going to add a few follow-up questions to Mare's.

If you go to View Your Statistics under Account Info and then click on your number of stories (next to "Author of"), you can click View Chapters at the top and see the stats for each individual chapter you've posted.

Which of your novels has the highest average read count per chapter?  Is this also your most read novel?  Most reviewed?

How about the lowest average?  Is this your least read novel?  Least reviewed?

Are there any stories where you notice a significant drop in read count from the beginning chapters to the end?  Why do you think that is?

Do any individual chapters stand out as having an unusually high or low read count compared to the rest of the chapters in that story?  Why do you think that is?

What is your most and least read one-shot?

Were you surprised by any of these stats?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:53:56 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 12:17:08 PM »

Forever Like This - 42 chapters

Left and Leaving - 22 chapters

Going along with that, is your longest one the one with the most reviews? And your shortest the one with the least?Forever Like This has the most reviews, but Left and Leaving doesn't have the least - it's got 167 reviews which is somewhere in the mid-range.

They are very similar read counts, actually. That's kind of weird, given the review stats of them and that FLT has been on the site for a lot less time. Plus FLT had readers who weren't reviewing - I know because they'd let me know on twitter their thoughts about certain things.

Which of your novels has the highest average read count per chapter?  Is this also your most read novel?  Most reviewed?
In Pieces has the highest average read count, around 600-700 per chapter and this is also my most read novel. Makes sense, I think a lot of people knew me for that one when I first started posting here, and it was also a featured story. It's my least reviewed though!

How about the lowest average?  Is this your least read novel?  Least reviewed?
The lowest is actually Running Up That Hill! Some of those chapters don't even have 100 hits. It's not my least reviewed and I think the reason is that the people who enjoy that story are a lot of people on this forum, and obviously we are advocates for reviewing each other's work lol

Are there any stories where you notice a significant drop in read count from the beginning chapters to the end?  Why do you think that is?
Best of Both Words has a big read drop between chapters 20 and 21 and I'm sure it's because there was a year in between those two chapters. Forever Like This also has a big read drop after the chapter where Nick dies. Not surprising.

Do any individual chapters stand out as having an unusually high or low read count compared to the rest of the chapters in that story?  Why do you think that is?
Besides the drops I mentioned above the reads stayed pretty steady.

Most read is Slightly off Schedule with 469 reads, least is a tie between Rogues of the Sea and Picture Perfect.

I think it's sort of weird that Picture Perfect has a low read count, but the rest of it isn't that surprising.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »

Why I'd Do it All Again at 55 chapters

Comedy of Errors at 11

Yes, Why has the most reviews and Comedy of Errors has the least. Weird lol

Why does have the most and Comedy of Errors has the least.

Which of your novels has the highest average read count per chapter?  Is this also your most read novel?  Most reviewed?
A Million Little Things and nope it's not my most reviews or most read. It had 185 reviews which is about the average for my novels the read count was at almost 12,000 which kind of falls in the middle range of my stuff.

How about the lowest average?  Is this your least read novel?  Least reviewed?
Comedy of Errors has the lowest everything pretty much and deservedly so because it sucked lol

Are there any stories where you notice a significant drop in read count from the beginning chapters to the end?  Why do you think that is?
Sadly, all of my stories saw a big drop from the first chapter to the last one. I think it's normal for the first chapter to have the highest read count because people are curious and want to check it out to see what it's all about but the most noticeable drop is for Why Id' do it All Again. The first chapter has 940 and then the next chapter fell to 650. FAIL! LOL That's why I don't like to look at read counts they psych me out! All the others were pretty consistent with small spikes here or there.

Do any individual chapters stand out as having an unusually high or low read count compared to the rest of the chapters in that story?  Why do you think that is?
Just the first chapters.

The most read one is a story called The Words That Come Out of Kevin's Mouth at close to 700 reads. I don't even remember that one at all! I am actually going to go back and read it. LOL  The least read one is Summer at Elk Wood Pines. with a whooping 114. guess no one liked my banner!  :(

I was very surprised by A Million Little Things and it's read count. I had no idea. Wouldn't it be something else if people really did leave reviews for everything they read? LOL
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:12:30 PM by mare »

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 06:13:37 PM »

What is your longest one? All That Glitters - 63 chapters

What is your shortest one? Satin and Silk - 14 chapters (I didn't include incomplete novels)

Going along with that, is your longest one the one with the most reviews? And your shortest the one with the least? Yes, the longest has the most reviews. The shortest is tied with a few others for the least.

What about read counts? My longest does has the most amount of reads but I have a couple of novels with less reads than my shortest.

Which of your novels has the highest average read count per chapter?  Is this also your most read novel?  Most reviewed?   All That Glitters, my most read and reviewed novel

How about the lowest average?  Is this your least read novel?  Least reviewed? Not including incomplete novels, my lowest read count goes to Stockholm Syndrome but it's not the least reviewed - Satin and Silk takes that title.

Are there any stories where you notice a significant drop in read count from the beginning chapters to the end?  Why do you think that is? Hawk and a Handsaw, actually. It goes from an average of 186/chapter to 53/chapter. It's probably because it got not very good near the end after my four-year-long break. :P

Do any individual chapters stand out as having an unusually high or low read count compared to the rest of the chapters in that story?  Why do you think that is? History Repeating has a 1059 read count for Chapter 1, which is actually about 15 reads higher than the next one down, which is my most read story. I have no idea why that is. Someone kept hitting refresh? lol

What is your most and least read one-shot? They're all around the same - within 20 reads of each other, but my least read one is Sweet Charity - I think it was a birthday challenge. Most read is another challenge one-shot, Good Deeds Written On Snow.

Were you surprised by any of these stats? Not particularly lol Maybe by how many ppl read chapter 1 of History Repeating.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 08:52:57 PM »

Which of your novels has the highest average read count per chapter?  Is this also your most read novel?  Most reviewed?
Curtain Call has the highest average read count and is also my most reviewed story, but not my most read.  Broken is my most read, probably just because it has more chapters.

How about the lowest average?  Is this your least read novel?  Least reviewed?
Secrets of the Heart has the lowest average read count of my finished novels and is also the least read, but not the least reviewed.

Are there any stories where you notice a significant drop in read count from the beginning chapters to the end?  Why do you think that is?
As others have said, most of my stories have a drop from the beginning to the end, I think because people start reading and then don't continue.  The biggest drops tend to happen in stories where I may have started off strong with updating regularly and then stopped.  Song for the Undead, for example, was pretty consistently in the 400s for the first 75 chapters or so while Rose and I were updating it a lot, and then it tapered off to the point where the last few chapters we've posted still have read counts under 100.

Do any individual chapters stand out as having an unusually high or low read count compared to the rest of the chapters in that story?  Why do you think that is?
Curtain Call averaged about 500-1000 reads per chapter, but I noticed one chapter had 4157 reads!  And it wasn't the first chapter or the last chapter.  It was Chapter 61, right in the middle.  Other than being a "morning after" romantic chapter, there's nothing memorable about it, so I have no idea what happened there.  Some spambot action, maybe?  Then again, the chapter before it had over 1000 reads, which was 200-300 higher than all the other chapters around it, so maybe people just like re-reading sex scenes? LOL  Anyway, that was the one that inspired this question because it was so out there!

My most read is Watch Me as I Bleed, and least read is Unsuspecting Sunday.

Some of my older stories have more reads per chapter than I realized.  A lot of the older ones I didn't post on AC until they had already been up on my site for awhile, and I didn't get a lot of reviews on them because of that, so I didn't realize people were actually reading them on AC.  Broken only has about 1 review for every 2 chapters, but it's my most read and second-most favorited story.  Go figure!
~Julie

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36