Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Review Site  (Read 20369 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
Re: Review Site
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2007, 02:47:08 AM »

my thoughts are, that people are submitting their stories for critique. They want feedback on the story and the writing itself. Banners have absolutely nothing to do with how good a story is or how well it's written. I personally wouldn't judge or critique a banner at all no matter what because it's an entirely different area of expertise. I would have no idea what makes one good or bad. To me it's like a writer judging a painting or a painter judging a story... they just don't mix. I think we should just let the banners be and focus on the writing. Just warn the people if they are too big or something, but don't add or subtract points for it.   Just my thoughts... but then, I've never used a banner on any of my stories so...
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2007, 03:10:05 AM »

^ I use them too on my own site but more so people wil have something to click on to get into the story. lol I know it did work for Facelss for me. That graphic of the newspaper article is what drew me in and made me feature it on my site.
and we know how that went for me lol

I was totally thinking of Faceless. ;)   That story, when it actually worked on Jaydee's site, had AWESOME presentation LOL - cool graphics, plus that newspaper thing.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2007, 03:23:19 AM »

To me it's like a writer judging a painting or a painter judging a story... they just don't mix.

Well, guess I better give up both of my hobbies then... ;)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2007, 04:44:18 AM »

haha that's not what I meant :P  Maybe you're one of those lucky people that is good at both. I am definitely not. My creativity stops at storytelling. I would have no idea what makes a good banner and what doesn't. That's all I meant.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2007, 07:00:28 AM »

To be fair, I've actually never made my banners... Since Photoshop and the like are my enenmies, but I am starting to understand GIMP... though it's more a graphics coloring program than a photo manipulation prgram... But I did envision my banners myself... So I guess the original idea is mine, but te finished product is always someone else's... *feels bad*

Aww don't feel bad about that. Nine out of ten times it's mersey that makes my banners for me because I have the artistic mind of a five year old lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2007, 07:03:11 AM »

my thoughts are, that people are submitting their stories for critique. They want feedback on the story and the writing itself. Banners have absolutely nothing to do with how good a story is or how well it's written. I personally wouldn't judge or critique a banner at all no matter what because it's an entirely different area of expertise. I would have no idea what makes one good or bad. To me it's like a writer judging a painting or a painter judging a story... they just don't mix. I think we should just let the banners be and focus on the writing. Just warn the people if they are too big or something, but don't add or subtract points for it.   Just my thoughts... but then, I've never used a banner on any of my stories so...

Wow i'm so glad I read ahead before posting because I was going to say the EXACT same thing lol I think that's what my problem is for caring about a design of a story because in the end it can be the prettiest site in the world or the prettiest banner in the world but if a story stinks it stinks lol or the person could be a horrible graphic maker but yet when you click on the story it can be the most amazing thing ever. You never know lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2007, 01:25:12 PM »

Kelly (and Mare), I agree - I didn't really mean actually judging how pretty the banner was, cause that's really subjective and totally not fair - some people have expensive graphics programs that can make the good ones, and others don't.

The banner thing really just came from that example review rubric I posted.  When I was looking at the one I had gotten for Broken, the reviewer posted a ton of comments about my banner and how she thought it didn't fit with the story LOL.  It wasn't about whether the banner looked nice or not; it was just, does this banner relate to the story?

But then, should a story really lose points in its review because the reviewer can't see the connection between the story and its banner?  No LOL.  So yeah, I change my mind - if it's just going to be stories on AC, we might as well throw out the whole presentation category, banners and all.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2007, 03:45:04 PM »

Aw, but you aren't curious as to how different the stories look depending on what AC skin you use? :D

And Kelly, I can't make a banner at all, unless I sit down and draw it. :D And then it's gigantic, so....
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

bananaaddict

• Captain of Commotion
    • The Original Nick Chicks
« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2007, 10:22:08 PM »

I dunno... I like banners actually. They kind of give me a little insight to the story and in the case of romances or fics that are not centered around the guys only it gives me an idea of what the other characters might look like. And they look pretty lol. I'm a visual person though...

I agree.  I like to know what the author intended the character to look like.  Granted, if they are a good storyteller with excellent descriptive skills then you should be able to decifer what they look like, but pics always help.  Plus I'm a pic/banner junkie.  LOL

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2007, 10:27:10 PM »

I don't like giving points for banners... I think they are a nice bonus but not something to be included on a review rubric.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]