Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Just a general pop in thread  (Read 78 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Just a general pop in thread
« on: April 03, 2024, 09:09:39 AM »

It's weird, but I can't find the thread we were posting in earlier. It just disappeared!  :shrug: So I thought i's just start another one.

Nothing much to say though lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Just a general pop in thread
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 05:27:05 PM »

That's so weird!  I don't see it either.  Must have accidentally gotten deleted.  Oh well... hope your day is going well!

The weather is a nasty wintry mix here, so I'm staying in and attempting to write all day.  I started this one-shot so I'd have something to fill the word count of my April Fool's story, and now I have to finish it before I can make much more progress on my novel.  I don't miss trying to balance more than one story at a time, but I guess it's nice to write something different now and then.  I've been writing about Kevin for the past three years, so it's about time I took a little break to write a Nick and Brian story.  Those two are probably glad I've mostly left them alone lately LOL.

How's your writing going this week?  Are your Funko pops providing you with plenty of inspiration? LOL
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 09:17:13 AM »

I must have accidentally deleted it. Not even sure how though.

We are expecting snow today and tomorrow but thankfully, not a lot. Although I don't really mind it as much anymore since I don't go anywhere ever.

Sometimes it's nice moving away from your main novel to write a short story about someone else. Did you get any comments on AO3? Did anyone actually read it that clicked on it with all those tags? LMAO

My writing is coming along. That's what I'm doing now, well after this. I have a whole routine. Shower, get onto my laptop and come here, check mail and then start writing. I love my little Funkos. Right above my Roys are my BSB IWITW funkos. If I wanted I could have them act this story out because Kevin and Howie are in it as well as David Wright. A Met that I also have a funko of! 

I kind of laugh now when I write because, as I've said before, these are both suspense stories and at the moment both of them have become very similar in that Roman has been taken hostage. So, in one I have a teenage version of Roman kidnapped by the MINE serial killer and in the other I have adult Roman taken hostage by the turks who took him in season 2 aka one of the storylines Jessie Armstrong decided to go nowhere with. Poor Roman.

I feel like it's Kieran's fault because before they decided on Kieran, that part was going to Jeremy Strong. He was originally written as an older guy with a wife and kid. Hence the wife and kid in the first few episodes of the show. When they went with Kieran, he took the character and ran in a completely different direction which I think flummoxed Jessie Armstrong resulting in Roman always kind of hanging in limbo a bit with certain things. So, there's some Succession trivia you didn't ask for. The reason I brought that up is because there was a lot of complaining on the Succession twitter about the lack of storyline for the hostage thing that happens in season 2, which you might not have watched. So, I thought, hostage? I'm there! But that leaves me with two very similar storylines and people probably thinking there's something wrong with me if they are reading both.

Hope your writing streak is still going strong! And I hope that some other people pop their heads in this thread as well. Dee came out of her hidey hole on twitter at the mention of Crumbl cookies which I loved. So maybe she'll come back here someday. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 02:35:44 PM »

Sounds like it's been a little crazy in NY lately!  I saw on Twitter that the Statue of Liberty got struck by lightning the other day, and today there was an earthquake?  Could you feel it up in Buffalo?  And now snow... and, in a few days, an eclipse!  This is starting to feel like the beginning of a disaster movie LOL.  Stay home and stay safe!

I did get some comments on my April Fool's story!  Most of them were from friends who knew full well it wasn't going to be a smutfest, but I did get one yesterday from someone I don't know who may have clicked on it because of the tags LOL.  They didn't say, and they did leave a kudo and say they were waiting for the rest, so I guess they liked it anyway.

LOL I love the thought of you acting out your fanfic with Funkos!  Now I want a stop-motion animation movie of them acting out a scene while you read it.

I'm glad you've found your new favorite victim in Roman LOL, but I do miss the days when it was Nick being abducted and tortured!

I hit Day 800 of my writing streak on Easter, so it's still going!  I've only been writing a sentence or two a day on The World Will Be Waiting because I'm trying to finish the one-shot, but I'm still writing daily.  I always make sure I open the novel first so I don't get distracted by the one-shot and forget.  I had a pretty good streak going prior to starting my current one, and the only reason I broke that one was because I got distracted by 00Carter when we resurrected that.  So I'm determined not to let that happen again LOL.

I don't know if you know because I don't think she ever talked about it here, but Dee had a baby in 2022!  I think that's the main reason she disappeared back down her hidey hole LOL.  I talk to her every once in a while, and she's going to Cancun, so I will see her there.  Hopefully she will eventually make her way back here and back to writing.  I loved how active the writing discussion was the last time she came back!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 09:42:53 AM »

Yes, it's been wild here in general. We were a little too far to feel the earthquake, but they did feel it in Allentown. We did get some snow over the last two days. I seriously think this all has to do with Trump selling Bibles. The Statue of Liberty, the earthquake, a total eclipse. It's all related somehow.  :shrug:

I love that you got a random reader from clicking on your story with that many tags! People on AO3 take their tags very seriously.

I really need a Connor Funko to properly act out my story although I guess I could just borrow one of the Boys for that one. I'm annoyed that the first wave of Succession Funkos didn't include Connor. So typical he just gets glossed over like that!

I have to admit that while writing the AU, I have on more than one occasion typed Nick's name instead of Roman's that I've caught while editing. And I've also had to fix a lot of D instead of calling him Howie because I never established that as his nickname in this story. People would be like and who the heck is this D person?

That's an incredible streak you're one. I think that's awesome! Are you still going to try to write while you're in Cancun?

I did know Dee had a baby because we are Facebook friends, and she had some pictures posted of her baby shower and random pictures of the baby when he was first born. I think it's a boy, right? it's nice she's going to Cancun. It seems like a lot of you guys will get to meet up while you're there. When you see her, tell her and everyone else to come back to the MB. I miss everyone!  :bighug:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 09:46:05 AM by mare »

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 09:04:40 PM »

Trump is the Antichrist, so it probably is all related.  It looks like you had a cool experience with the eclipse!  It definitely got a lot darker for you than it did here.  It still looked cool, but we only had like 90-something percent totality.  I'm just glad it was a nice, clear day so we could see it because it was cloudy and rainy all last week.

I've noticed that about AO3 readers and tags.  I'm sure I'm frustrating to them because I post vague summaries, only tag the bare minimum, refuse to tag major spoilers, and rarely give trigger warnings.  Sorry not sorry. 🤷‍♀️

That's weird that Connor wasn't included! You'd think all the siblings would be. I'm sure they'll release him at some point, though; they have Funkos for everything!

LOL I'm sure that's hard to switch to a new fandom and different characters after so many years of writing about the Boys!  I sometimes catch myself automatically typing "Nick" when I start a random word that begins with N out of habit - and I'm not even writing a Nick story.

I am definitely going to keep the streak going when I'm in Cancun!  And by that, I mean I'm going to get on Google Docs from my phone and add at least one word to my chapter each day LOL.  I can't write in public or around other people, so I doubt I'll get much more done than that.  But one word is all it takes to keep the streak alive, so that's okay.  It takes the pressure off.

Yes, she had a boy and named him Carter!  I will tell her!  I miss everyone too.  There are a lot of people going but, at the same time, a lot of people who aren't.  Most of the people I used to hang out with on the cruises, many of whom were from AC, are hardly even active in the fandom anymore, which makes me sad.  I guess it's normal for people to move on to other interests as they get older.  I've always been strangely loyal and consistent with the things I'm passionate about, so I don't really understand that.  Once I fall in love with something, I seem to love it forever.  And I've found that it's harder to maintain online friendships that were formed through one specific interest when that commonality is gone.  I'm still Facebook friends with a lot of people I've known online for decades now, but we don't really keep in touch beyond that anymore.  I'm glad you've stuck around all these years, even when you weren't writing.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 10:05:24 AM »

Trump is definitely the antichrist, and it makes me sick that there's a movie coming out about him this year. Starring Sebastian Stan. I mean he doesn't have a big enough ego. This is just something else he's going to use to get try to make it seem like America loves him. I hope it flops majorly and one of my Succession guys is starring in it and I still hope it tanks!

It was cloudy for most of the day here as well, but we would get an occasional glimpse at the whole thing before totality hit and that was really cool too! For a brief minute we were thinking of heading over to Niagara Falls to watch but when we saw the news and how many people were there, we decided to skip that idea. LOL

Hey! A word a day works!

I still don't fully understand the tag thing at AO3. I truly believe no one even bothers to read summaries over there. It's its own beast.

I know! It should have been Connor instead of Greg. Everyone keeps saying they release them in waves so I'm sure he'll be in the second wave of Succession characters along with Tom and Gerri.

I tend to get fixated on something for a long period of time then one day it fades, little by little, but I don't completely lose my love for things ever. I still heart Duran Duran and they were my very first obsession. I tend to hang on to friends more than the thing I was into when I became friends, which is why it does bum me out when people tend to move on from you when you leave a fandom. I'm not going to lie, I felt pretty much deserted by most of my BSB friends long before I really started to lose interest. More like as more and more events were going on and I wasn't going to any of them. Suddenly everyone had something more in common than I did. Now the only time I ever hear from a BSB friend is if I post something about them on twitter. Like I knew with absolute certainty you were going to read that long post I made yesterday but you would also be the only BSB person who would bother. It makes me sad, but such is life. I will always consider myself a member of the BSB fandom. I just don't see me going all gaga crazy about them anymore. Most of the friends I made through the fandom that have since left the fandom, I keep in touch with, ironically. including Kat and Amy from forever ago although Kat is still a very big fan. Amy not so much. I love that you hold on to things you love, it's a great quality to have. So, that's why I stick around here. Not so much for the BSB stuff but for you! and Steph and anyone else when they show up! lol.

When are you leaving for Cancun? Is it next week? Did you have to ditch school? Or is it a weekend getaway? I don't even know how long it is.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 11:11:52 AM »

They should have waited until Trump dies to make a movie about him.  Then they will have the full story, and he doesn't get to reap any of the benefits.  I will not be seeing that one.

I understand the purpose of tags is to find things you want to read and filter out things you don't.  That may be helpful in really big fandoms with so many stories that it gets overwhelming, but the BSB fandom is not that big on AO3, so I don't see the point in tagging much beyond the basics.  I still prefer summaries as a way to get an idea of what the story is actually about and see a snippet of the author's writing before I decide whether to click on the story or not.

Regarding BSB friends...  It's so hard to feel left out and left behind.  Even though I've been to a lot of the big events, I still know how that feels.  It's disheartening.  That's why I will always be in favor of the boys streaming events or doing whatever they can to include as many fans as possible in some way.  Even if they're not livestreaming it, I would love for them to record and release the 30 for 30 concert after Cancun.  That would benefit everyone.  I don't like the attitude I've seen from some people who are going that it should be exclusively for the fans who paid to be there in person.  That kind of mentality just further divides us and pushes people who can't go farther away from the fandom.

I appreciate you sticking around here for me and Steph and whoever else decides to pop back on.  Likewise, you know I'll always be around for you.  I think it helps that we have other common interests to talk about besides BSB.  That's what gets hard with some of these other online friendships - it's all based on conversation rather than experiences, so when you run out of common interests and things to talk about, it's harder to keep it going.

I do hope we can eventually meet in person someday and maybe go to a concert together like we'd planned to do in 2020.  Hopefully Kieran will make it easier for you to get out and about more.  How's that been going?

I leave for Cancun Thursday morning!  It goes Thursday through Monday, so I am using my three personal days and taking Thursday, Friday, and Monday off work.  I haven't missed a day yet this year, so I don't even feel bad about it.  It's going to suck coming back Monday evening and going straight back to work on Tuesday, but hopefully it will be worth it.  I wish you were going!

I hope you're enjoying your Succession rewatch!  I wish I could get into it the way you are.  I haven't even made it through Season 1!  To be fair, I haven't tried watching it in a while, but it didn't suck me in the way I was hoping it would after seeing you gush about it.  I haven't given up on it completely, but I also haven't felt compelled to watch an episode in a while either.  I really haven't watched much TV at all lately.  I've spent more time either writing or playing The Sims LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 09:12:08 PM »

I agree with you! It’s too early to be making a movie about Trump! Especially with an election coming up. I don’t get it!

The few fics I’ve read on ao3 I haven’t even looked at anything but the summary which should really be the first thing there but it’s at the very end. I feel like you have to actually click on the story to read the summary. So weird!

Yeah, I’m not sure why so many people were against the streaming. It’s not like it’s lessening their experience. They have nothing to lose. That’s why I made that student loan analogy way back when that was happening.i would love to meet up sometime. Even if it’s not a concert. We should all do a BSB meet up minus the BSB lol come to Niagara Falls it’s lovely.

I have a love/hate relationship with Kieran. I’m also still trying to get used to him. I haven’t really taken him for a real run around yet. The legs aren’t in place which means I’m using my legs to move him around. The first time I used him was for the eclipse. I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it. I still have to rely on my sister to get out of the house because she has to carry him down the stairs.

Ooh I bet these next few days are going to drag for you! But I’m glad it’s more than just a weekend. You might be a zombie on Tuesday but hey, maybe you can call in sick? lol have a great time!!

I’m loving my rewatch! I always catch little things I missed the first go round. I just finished episode 6 of season 1 again lol I hope you do decide to pick it back up. I noticed more people started giving it a try after it won all the awards. The second season & 4th were stellar but of course I loved the whole thing. On the whole I’m not really watching as much tv this year either. Besides succession. There seems to be such huge gaps between seasons now especially with the streaming shows.The Sims, I used to play that but I quickly got bored, but this was at the way beginning. I’m sure it’s more exciting now!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #9 on: Today at 04:23:49 AM »

Hi everyone :)

I see Wales isn't the only place getting terrible weather, it's been like winter here and rained almost every day for I don't know how long.  But hopefully that means a nice summer.  I can hope anyway lol.

I wish I was in Cancun seeing the boys, but I'll just have to look out for people's videos on YouTube.  Hope everyone there has an amazing time.

I've not been up to much really, saw the Amy Winehouse movie as couple of days ago, what a tragic waste of a life that was.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: Today at 09:21:33 AM »

Hi Steph!

Was the Amy Winehouse movie a documentary or a movie movie?

Seems like everyone is having a good time so far down there, it's only day one but still it was nice seeing everyone happy. My timeline on twitter yesterday was nothing but Cancun and Taylor Swift. lol