Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: BANNERS ON THE SITE!  (Read 27013 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
BANNERS ON THE SITE!
« on: December 29, 2006, 09:10:27 PM »

Good day everyone!

I hope you're all doing well, and don't worry, you're not in trouble...yet.

:)

This is just a reminder to all of those people who have banners posted in their story summaries on the site. To be perfectly blunt, they're too big. Banners need to be cut down in size because people who are on dial up have to struggle through the recent updates since the most frequently updated fics all seem to have very large banners to go along with them. Also, some folks use 800x600 resolution on their small computer monitors so a 300x600 banner takes up a lot of page space.

Your best bet for this, if you don't want to modify your banner, is to put your banner as it's own introduction chapter so that people who would rather not spend the time downloading graphics don't have to.

This isn't mean we don't want you to make them, please keep making your wonderful banners, but please keep them small, or post them as a chapter.

300x300-ish = decent banner size
640x480-ish = TOO BIG.

Don't think I didn't measure them all  ;)

IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR BANNER IN YOUR SUMMARY THEY ARE TO BE NO LARGER THAN 300x300 (or 600 max if you want to go shorter but longer, or taller but narrower so 150 x 450 is good...) The filesize should be no larger than 30-40kb tops! Please avoid .png and .bmp if possible--those tend to have a much larger filesize than .jpgs and .gifs!

If banners don't start getting smaller, they'll be removed until they find a new home on a separate page, or become happy little tiny versions of their former selves.

Thank you for your time,

The Mods.

Added on 1/9 (Happy Birthday AJ!)

READ ME!!!!

Lately people have not  been following the rules sooo....The first time you do it, we'll delete the banner and it will say *mod edit due to banner size. The next time you do it, we'll delete the entire story. That means reviews and all!

Sorry but I know Julilly and I are tired of having to go through these stories to delete the banners of people who aren't bothering to read the site rules.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 06:36:13 PM by mare »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: BANNERS ON THE SITE!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 09:23:50 PM »

also to add one more thing...

All awards and nomination banners need to be taken completely off your summary pages. Feel free to mention all of your accolades in the summary if you'd like but the graphics themselves need to be removed.

My suggestion is to have a page just for those things, any awards your story has won or any nominations your story is up for. Some of the summaries are taking up almost a page just because of all the graphics.

Thanks a lot guys!

~ The mods
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 09:56:20 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:19:14 PM »

Hey guys!

I updated the AC news and mentioned that the announcement about banners has been up long enough that we are now just going to start removing the ones that are too big without prior warning. Just a heads up for that.

So please don't add the banner back on if it suddenly disappears, which has happened a few times already. Chances are it's gone for a reason and it'll just keep being removed.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a banner nazi, but it's not fair to everyone else who are actually following the rules and resizing their images.

Thanks!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 06:46:22 PM »

Just letting you know I have been going through stories and removing banners if they exceed 600 kg? mb? whatever it is lol. I am being nice and letting the 345 x 300 type banners slide but once you get close to that 700 mark i'm deleting them.

I'm also deleting the awards if they are on the summary page.

I am reminding you because for a few of them, the summary was actually contained inside the banners so just be careful about that. I'm being very random when I check but if you are on that front page for recent stories or story of the moment I am going to get you lol

I feel like I need to add a muahhahaha there!  >:(  :)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 08:23:07 PM »

Muahaha would be very appropriate there, put the fear in them! lol

Since you brought it up I would also love to reiterate that when your banner has been taken down, that is not a sign that you should immediatly put it back up.

I even did the niceity of sending a few people notices letting them know their banners were too big and the overly large graphics were reposted overnight. I will just keep deleting them. It's not annoying to me, it's sport, I can go on forever! lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 09:08:37 PM »

^ lmao same here.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 06:33:10 PM »

bumping so you can read the new addition to the banner rules! :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 09:58:32 AM »

One other thing for any newbies out there. Please do not put your banner in the actual title because whenever you update and it shows up on the most recent page, it'll throw off everyone's front page.

Thanks!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 06:01:13 AM »

Just putting the big red dot by this thread again because it seems like a lot of people are making banners the size of my head once again.

We go for a long time without having to say anything and then it seems like i'm removing banners on a daily basis. LOL

Please read the rules!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 02:59:08 PM »

And she has a big giant head people... so imagine how big the banners are!
~Maple Jellybean~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 05:28:29 PM »

LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 06:53:17 PM »

Guys, just so some of you know, I am cracking down on banner size. Being extremely anal about it because they've gotten out of hand again. Just wanted you to be aware because if your banner is over 600 even if it's only 601, i'm going to be removing it. You might want to go fix them now before that happens.

First rule of teachers: If you threaten to do it, you have to follow through and because people haven't been following the rules i'm doing it. Just giving you a heads up.

BSB-Chick-101♥

• Captain of Commotion
  • I've got it bad...and I've got it good!
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 01:57:55 PM »

Mare, are you a teacher?

AND, people people! If you have a banner, just shorten it! It's not that hard!!! ::)
Um, not really much to say. Hi?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 02:36:29 PM »

Yes, she is
~Maple Jellybean~

BSB-Chick-101♥

• Captain of Commotion
  • I've got it bad...and I've got it good!
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 05:24:09 AM »

Awesome! I'm in collage in training for a nurse! :o
Um, not really much to say. Hi?
Pages: [1] 2 3