Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: NC-17 Stories Have Plots!  (Read 42930 times)

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment
Re: NC-17 Stories Have Plots!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 04:58:37 PM »

You're compring fanfic to Ivy League Universities? I personally got rejected from an Ivy League University, Yale if you wanted to specific one... Applying to an Ivy League University is in another league than writing a fanfic.

I'm assuiming that the reason you started writing fanfic is because you enjoyed it, not for your future or if you wanted readers. If you started writing fanfic just to get readers, then you're lacking in what the essence of it is. If you started writing for yourself, then you should be appreciative that the number of people who read your work do in fact read it.

You totally didn't even get my meaning. It's the elitest attitude. No I didn't start writing for recognition but you know what other stories that have been recognized, mine are just as good as theirs and I'm just upset that mine won't be recognized because someone believes they're so righteous and can tell that a story isn't good just because of the genre or the rating. that's the TRUE ivory towerism in this. If you like the genre I like ooh then you get to be recognized and put on a pedestal. That's how it makes us feel.
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

Tri

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 05:00:18 PM »

You're compring fanfic to Ivy League Universities? I personally got rejected from an Ivy League University, Yale if you wanted to specific one... Applying to an Ivy League University is in another league than writing a fanfic.

I'm assuiming that the reason you started writing fanfic is because you enjoyed it, not for your future or if you wanted readers. If you started writing fanfic just to get readers, then you're lacking in what the essence of it is. If you started writing for yourself, then you should be appreciative that the number of people who read your work do in fact read it.

That's not what we're saying...  Or at least not what I'M saying.  (Teri's speaking for herself, obviously.) 

I've been writing since I COULD write.  Short stories, novels, plays, poetry, et cetera...  The work I post online is all Nick Carter fan fiction.  I write primarily for myself - to let out feelings, express ideas, and for enjoyment.  I write from experiences I've had.  I write about things I enjoy.  My main female characters are usually based off of me (in the Hearts Don't Lie series, the female lead is almost EXACTLY like me).

I'm very appreciative of the readers I have, don't get me wrong.  I'm just trying to break down the stereotype, like I said.  If I don't get anymore readers out of it, that's fine.  I just don't think it's fair to be put in a category like untouchables rather than be evaluated for the level of literature I write.  THAT'S the point I'm trying to make.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 05:01:43 PM »

I've read your stories (and i promise i'll review eventually) and normally i don't like fantasy fan fic but you know i gave it a chance and i was pleasantly surprised! And you know if I hadn't I would have missed out on some particularly good writing because i stepped out of my comfort zone and decided, you know what screw my comfort zone I need to try something new! And it's people's unwillingness to even give a story a chance is just what's pissin' us all off. I've read stories where Nick gets sick and normally no I don't like them but in the instance of BMS it works and is an amazing story and I found that out because I put my ascinine thoughts aside and made up my own mind by finding out for myself what the story is like instead of "OMG NICK GETS CANCER EWW!" or "omg there's sex in this story and it's in more than one chapter ew!" it's all about saying "okay i know how i feel about this genre but maybe this story will change my mind about that"

Unfortunately, the majority of fanfic readers want a certain type of story where they get the ending they want with the characters they like included.

You can be outraged if you like, but the fact is, it probably won't change anything.

Backstreet Boys fanfic has at least a decade of foundation. What's popular is generally static. That's just the way it is.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Tri

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 05:03:24 PM »

You totally didn't even get my meaning. It's the elitest attitude. No I didn't start writing for recognition but you know what other stories that have been recognized, mine are just as good as theirs and I'm just upset that mine won't be recognized because someone believes they're so righteous and can tell that a story isn't good just because of the genre or the rating. that's the TRUE ivory towerism in this. If you like the genre I like ooh then you get to be recognized and put on a pedestal. That's how it makes us feel.
Yeah, I'm not trying to get readers either.  That isn't what this is about.  I just want people to stop ASSUMING what my story is about without reading it.  I'm trying to enlighten people for the good of all writers.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 05:03:47 PM »

Really all we're trying to do is break the stereotype placed on us by another thread. The stereotype created by people who have NO idea what the genre is all about. Or would even get off their high horse of elitest-ness and give a story out of their comfort zone a chance. Its ignorance and it's assuming something that's true for a small portion of the genre but not all. And you know what happens when you assume something.
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."

Tri

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 05:05:01 PM »

Really all we're trying to do is break the stereotype placed on us by another thread. The stereotype created by people who have NO idea what the genre is all about. Or would even get off their high horse of elitest-ness and give a story out of their comfort zone a chance. Its ignorance and it's assuming something that's true for a small portion of the genre but not all. And you know what happens when you assume something.
LOL, Teri...  I totally held back on saying that in my last post!  :D

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 05:07:21 PM »

Yeah I figured but i've always been taught NEVER to make assumptions and when I see that going on it drives me insane.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 05:16:05 PM »

I'm a firm believer in reading everything I can get my hands on, and after I've seen the quality of writing then I make my decision. I don't write fantasy cuz yeah I'd totally suck at it, I don't have the talent for it. I write, comedy, drama, angst romance fics because it's what I know that I can write those and have it come out the way I desire it to be.

I'll give you a prime example of how prejudging something before you even try to give it a chance makes you ignorant.

I had all these preconceived notions when I first started writing about what a fic should be. However when I started posting on fiction-girl.org back in the day I was quick to realize how wrong I was. There are millions of ways and ideas to write with. Some have been used before some haven't. It's all in what you make of it. And yes there's no excuse for poor writing but that's not what we're complaining about. We're disheartened that our hard work and dedication to the craft get bashed because we write in a genre or rating that certain people refuse to even give a chance to. And it's those certain people who decide who gets recognized. And honestly that's like saying you're not good enough writer without even have read a THING they've written. Or saying "I won't read Stephen King because he writes horror" yeah it's a personal preference and thats ok but why deprive yourself of finding a good story or maybe even saying "you know it's better than i thought it would be."

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »

Let's take a look at the genre outside of fanfic. Is NC-17 Romance a highly read genre? No, it isn't. So it's not just in fanfic.

I realize you're just trying to go against stereotypes, but the fact is that stereotypes are rampant and it happens inside and outside of fan fic. And I know trying to go against stereotypes is difficult and I know how you must feel, but it happens.

The important thing is that there are people who look past that and read what you write.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Jamanda

• Fledgling
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 05:19:07 PM »

Nicksgal, must you be so negative? Sorry to be rude, but you're not even trying to comprehend what these young ladies, Trina and Teri are trying to say.

They're not asking for you to read their work with happiness. They just want a fair chance. I'm not sure if you recognize this or not, but Absolute Chaos is very similar to a community. We are a community. In a community, things needs to be equal and fair or everything will be chaotic.

For example, there shouldn't be a featured story section due to that everyone is not given a fair chance. How hard is it to be fair or cut out the section? It's not that big of a life changing event! If the United States can allow women a right to vote then we certainly can come together in choosing the best form of literatures.

In my own opinion, I do not think that the featured stories are even chosen fairly due to that [I'm assuming, yes, it's bad to assume, I apolgize] only one or a few people are in on which story should be featured. Shouldn't the whole website be apart of it? I really don't think the admins here or whoever picks the features stories read every single story on here. Where's the poll at? I don't see us reviewers getting a chose in who has the best work around here.

It's just...assumin g and putting labels on something shows that you have a negative attitude. Their just asking for you to see the other side and give all genres a fair chance. They're not saying that you have to like the genre or the story, but it's based on the literature work and the quality, not if totally one-hundred percent addicted to it.

Tri

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2007, 05:20:12 PM »

I'm a firm believer in reading everything I can get my hands on, and after I've seen the quality of writing then I make my decision. I don't write fantasy cuz yeah I'd totally suck at it, I don't have the talent for it. I write, comedy, drama, angst romance fics because it's what I know that I can write those and have it come out the way I desire it to be.

I'll give you a prime example of how prejudging something before you even try to give it a chance makes you ignorant.

I had all these preconceived notions when I first started writing about what a fic should be. However when I started posting on fiction-girl.org back in the day I was quick to realize how wrong I was. There are millions of ways and ideas to write with. Some have been used before some haven't. It's all in what you make of it. And yes there's no excuse for poor writing but that's not what we're complaining about. We're disheartened that our hard work and dedication to the craft get bashed because we write in a genre or rating that certain people refuse to even give a chance to. And it's those certain people who decide who gets recognized. And honestly that's like saying you're not good enough writer without even have read a THING they've written. Or saying "I won't read Stephen King because he writes horror" yeah it's a personal preference and thats ok but why deprive yourself of finding a good story or maybe even saying "you know it's better than i thought it would be."
Very well said, Teri!  You don't know if you like something until you try it, I always say.  Or until you read it, in this case. 

People like having their comfort zones, I know that.  I also know that people can be intimidated by reading certain things at first for whatever reason (fear of the unknown, perhaps).  I've even known people that don't like to read things that they know they don't have a talent for writing about.  But please, those of you reading this, don't judge an entire genre before you DO take the time to read the individual stories.

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2007, 05:21:15 PM »

Yeah that's exactly what we're outraged about, that certain people won't even give us a chance because they're too elitest and judgemental to even try something that maybe out of their comfort zone. Honestly that's like saying "oh you've got the grades and the talent to go to harvard law school, but ohh you're not good enough." it's Ivory towerism and it's unfair and not right. There shouldn't be a featured story of the month or awards IF everyone can't be in the running because of a few select people with prejudices making the decisions.

Okay, not trying to argue with you because I agree that people shouldn't assume things about a story just because of it's rating. But I think you also need to keep in mind that this is a site that is intended for people of all ages, so we in general do not feature NC-17 stories because that means that those who are under age are not allowed to read and discuss the stories--and yes I *have* had parents contact me about this. I have had to argue with numerous people about whether or not I should even have NC17 stories on the site at all. I fight for the right of ya'll to keep posting. In fact it's part of the reason I started this site in the first place--fanfiction.net decided at one point that they would not allow any NC-17 stories at all, so I opened this site for a place where those who wrote them would still have a place to write, and those who read them can still have a place to read.

There is a reason why we don't generally feature NC-17 fics. It's not because they're not good enough to be featured, it's because the featured stories are being discussed and we have lots of people in the discussions that are underage.

So please keep that in mind when you're getting upset about NC-17 not being featured. If you want to post an alternate R-Rated version to be featured at the same time so that younger readers can join in without me potentially getting my rear chewed out by a parent, by all means I welcome you to do so.

(And just so you know, they will be considered for any awards, etc. Just not for the Story of the Month/Featured Discussions...)

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2007, 05:21:29 PM »

Brilliantly put Jamanda! Thank you for your input!!

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2007, 05:24:09 PM »

Okay, not trying to argue with you because I agree that people shouldn't assume things about a story just because of it's rating. But I think you also need to keep in mind that this is a site that is intended for people of all ages, so we in general do not feature NC-17 stories because that means that those who are under age are not allowed to read and discuss the stories--and yes I *have* had parents contact me about this. I have had to argue with numerous people about whether or not I should even have NC17 stories on the site at all. I fight for the right of ya'll to keep posting. In fact it's part of the reason I started this site in the first place--fanfiction.net decided at one point that they would not allow any NC-17 stories at all, so I opened this site for a place where those who wrote them would still have a place to write, and those who read them can still have a place to read.

There is a reason why we don't generally feature NC-17 fics. It's not because they're not good enough to be featured, it's because the featured stories are being discussed and we have lots of people in the discussions that are underage.

So please keep that in mind when you're getting upset about NC-17 not being featured. If you want to post an alternate R-Rated version to be featured at the same time so that younger readers can join in without me potentially getting my rear chewed out by a parent, by all means I welcome you to do so.

(And just so you know, they will be considered for any awards, etc. Just not for the Story of the Month/Featured Discussions...)

No offense I really see your point but why are you letting parents tell you what should be on your site? That's simply ridiculous. It's yours and our first amendment rights to post whatever we want, if they don't like it, put a parental block on the site. Catering to the whims of people who don't even know what the site is about is simply irresponsible to the authors that post here which without us you wouldn't have a site to begin with.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2007, 05:25:54 PM »

Chaos have you even read any NC-17 stories on your site? Like mine or Tris? for example? I'm assuming not because then you'd actually see that we focus more on plot than what your preconceived notions of NC-17 stories are. Maybe you need to open your mind a bit and see for yourself instead of assuming one thing and insulting other people's writing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12