Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Ugh... Great minds thinking alike in the fan fic world  (Read 38583 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
Re: Ugh... Great minds thinking alike in the fan fic world
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 11:49:20 PM »

lol washer name Tonja?
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 11:51:24 PM »

The first story is 60 chapters and its pretty long, but if you're REALLY looking for something to read I'm not going to discourage you.

Naw, 60 chapters isn't that bad :P  It'll give me something to read while I'm bored in class wait for other things to be updated :)
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 11:51:44 PM »

LOL you know, it might have been. Ironically enough.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 11:52:15 PM »

And I admit I draw inspiration on things I read too. For instance ALTOS was greatly influenced actually by BMS. You wouldn't think that off the bat, but I was actually really intrigued by what Julie did with keeping Claire and Nick apart for so long and Claire was with Jamie and Nick was with Laureen, yet there was obviously feelings there. Of course I'm choosing to take that scenario with my characters being involved with different people and take it a step further into what would happen if the main characters actually gave into those feelings.

And see, I would never know that was inspired by BMS.  A lot of people do that.  In TV shows and whatnot, it's a common tactic to keep the it couple that everyone wants together apart as long as possible.  That's what keeps people interested.  Once they get together, you have to find new sources of conflict to keep it interesting; if you just have it be all sunshine and daisies once they're together, it gets really boring after awhile.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 11:54:43 PM »

LOL Mare, I remember you talking about that Shadow Grim story.  I guess that's where they say imitation is the highest form of flattery.  And if it's a case where the second story is not well-written and doesn't get finished, well, then, who really cares?  What would piss me off is if someone deliberately ripped off a story of mine and then got all kinds of acclaim for it, like more than mine did.  In all honestly, that would just BUG the crap out of me!!  LOL
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 11:56:28 PM »

The first story is 60 chapters and its pretty long, but if you're REALLY looking for something to read I'm not going to discourage you.

The first story is Under my Skin and the sequel is A Little Taste of Sin.

And sorry for the shameless plug  :-[ I bet Dee is proud lol

Quite. lmao
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 11:57:38 PM »

LOL I can tell you there was one on my Brain Candy site. She had contacted me and asked me to host her and then as I was reading her story it was a knock off of Shadow Woods. She even called it something like OMg what did she call it? AH! I can't even remember, Shadow Grim or something like that. I said "uh...you might want to change that title because it might appear you are copying my story." I knew she wasn't going to stick with it anyway because I can kind of just tell. And sure enough after about three chapters of Shadow Grim she was never heard from again. loll

I hearted that story. <3 Seems kind of blantant to rip of though. And I totally agree with Kelly, was it Tonja? lol

lol Did I ever tell you I was going to draw fanart for it? lmao
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 11:57:43 PM »

And see, I would never know that was inspired by BMS.  A lot of people do that.  In TV shows and whatnot, it's a common tactic to keep the it couple that everyone wants together apart as long as possible.  That's what keeps people interested.  Once they get together, you have to find new sources of conflict to keep it interesting; if you just have it be all sunshine and daisies once they're together, it gets really boring after awhile.

Actually LOl I've been meaning to ask you about that because I've gotten SOOOO much crap from my readers that  (Sakabelle you may want to skip this post if you plan on reading UMS) OMG Alyssa and Nick aren't together. I'm going to stop reading! It's frustrating because they don't want to hear about them NOT being together, yet they could never work out unless they had that chance to be with other people. They needed that time apart to grow up a little bit. And I agree sunshine and daises would drive me nuts!

Teri and I were actually just talking about this the other day. We feel like angst is a dying genre because readers don't want to read anything reflecting any kind of pain because its "depressing" but I think that it takes that deep dark emotional pain to become the best person you can be.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 11:59:36 PM »

LOL Mare, I remember you talking about that Shadow Grim story.  I guess that's where they say imitation is the highest form of flattery.  And if it's a case where the second story is not well-written and doesn't get finished, well, then, who really cares?  What would piss me off is if someone deliberately ripped off a story of mine and then got all kinds of acclaim for it, like more than mine did.  In all honestly, that would just BUG the crap out of me!!  LOL

I would get soooo bothered by that. lol

Good thing is, no one reads enough of my stuff to want to rip them off in the first place. lol

Let's see what happens if I keep my romance on track. Backstreet x sorority girl may become the new cliche story. lmao
~*Dee*~

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 12:01:14 AM »

Wheww! I'm glad that most authors seem to be pretty cool with the whole "same idea different place" thing. Makes me feel a lot more at ease. See I knew you girls would reassure me!

I don't know, I have a hard time with this. I'd like to think of my stuff as a little more orginal but I don't mind if people have similar ideas, it's hard to tell if someone is ripping you off (unless their name is Tonja) I guess the stories I'm more proud of I'd be put off if I read something similar.

Teri and I were actually just talking about this the other day. We feel like angst is a dying genre because readers don't want to read anything reflecting any kind of pain because its "depressing" but I think that it takes that deep dark emotional pain to become the best person you can be.

LOL, I try NOT to end my stories with sunshine and daises... I am so anti happy endings I'd throw everyone for a loop if something did end happy. And yes I HAVE written a happy ending.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2008, 12:02:31 AM »

I will always prefer angst to fluff.  I got crap from my readers too, but at the same time, it did keep them coming back for more.  (Well, most of them.)   The thing is, I didn't purposely do that just to keep the readers' interest... it was more to keep MY interest.  Because like I said, I prefer drama to fluff.  I had fun with the fluffy scenes that are in BMS, but when it came time to break up Nick and Claire, I was SO ready to do it!  And then, of course, I was ready to get them back together way before I actually could, but if I had tried to write another story with them together the whole way through, I would have just gotten bored again.  And I would have come up with more sources of external conflict, most likely resulting in physical pain for one or both of them, because that's just what I do LOL.  But it was so overdone in those stories already that I knew I just needed to STOP.  I have a whole plot outline for a third story written out, after getting some ideas from readers, but it's so over the top that I kinda always knew I would never write it.
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2008, 12:06:24 AM »

LOL, I try NOT to end my stories with sunshine and daises... I am so anti happy endings I'd throw everyone for a loop if something did end happy. And yes I HAVE written a happy ending.

LMAO, DEE, don't listen! No taking notes right now!  HAPPY ENDINGS!!! HAPPY ENDINGS!!! HAPPY ENDINGS!!!! YAY HAPPY ENDINGS!!!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2008, 12:07:10 AM »

I feel like maybe I'm the same way, lmao. Everyone has to die before I'm happy. lol
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008, 12:08:11 AM »

And I would have come up with more sources of external conflict, most likely resulting in physical pain for one or both of them, because that's just what I do LOL.

I'm only fifty chapters in and this made me giggle my butt off. lol
~*Dee*~

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2008, 12:08:26 AM »

LMAO, DEE, don't listen! No taking notes right now!  HAPPY ENDINGS!!! HAPPY ENDINGS!!! HAPPY ENDINGS!!!! YAY HAPPY ENDINGS!!!

Well my happy endings to me are the ones that end sickly sweet. I don't mind endings where everyone is not dead and things work out, but maybe not in a way they wanted. I suppose... *tries very hard not to shrug*
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15