- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty One

"She's not home. I left a message," I said. Lauren looked up. Tiny pieces of chopped tomato were scattered on the wooden cutting board.

"Do you think she's going to mind if I come along on your next visit?" Lauren asked.

I didn't know how to answer that. I didn't know Shay that well. My first inclination was that she was going to mind, but I wanted to stay positive for Lauren's sake.

"I don't know," I said honestly. It leaned over and grabbed a chunk of tomato. I popped it in my mouth as Lauren slid the pieces off the cutting board and sprinkled them into our salad. She picked up the large cheese grater and sprinkled a generous helping of parmesan into the bowl. I reached into the bowl and grabbed a hunk of lettuce. She slapped my hand.

"If you don't stop picking, we're not going to have a salad for supper," she admonished. I grinned and puckered. She leaned over the island and met me in the middle. I nibbled her lips greedily.

There was a thousand amazing smells. We had the salmon cooking in the oven, the salad was tossed in a light vinegarette, and some brown rice was simmering on the stovetop.

It was the perfect meal. Of course, I was content just sucking on my lady's lips, but Lauren pulled away and turned towards the oven.

I studied her form as she grabbed a mitt and pulled out the salmon. She lifted the aluminum foil and wiggled her fingers in the air.

It was sad that I knew every move she was going to make. Sad...and nice.

"If Jake does come for a visit, we have plenty of room," Lauren said. Her back was to me so I couldn't see her face. She couldn't seem to get the little guy off her mind.

"Sure," I said. "Someone said there's a zoo not too far from here."

Lauren had fallen in love with Tennessee during my recording sessions. Nashville was an awesome city; it wasn't as hoity-toity as L.A. and not so youthfully reckless as life in Florida. I kinda felt like Brian and Kev when I was here; I was more relaxed, more mature. Buying a house was a no-brainer.

I just wasn't sure how much time we'd actually get to spend in it.

"Here ya go," Lauren said. She set a plate down in front of me. I reached for the wooden salad tongs and added some of the mixture to my plate. I dug into my rice greedily.

I felt guilty when I thought back to how badly I had treated my body. Years of fast food and candy and total crap had made me what I was. I wasn't immune to splurging occasionally, but it was amazing how much better real food tasted when you gave it a chance.

"So what do you want to do tonight?" Lauren asked. She cut off a piece of salmon and speared it on her fork. She held her hand under her fork as she brought it to her mouth. She gave me a chipmunk smile.

"Well," I said. I took a sip of water before I dove into the salmon. "I was thinking we could turn on the hot tub for a bit. I could get naked and you could get naked and we can see how much trouble we can get into."

Lauren laughed. "It's cold tonight."

I loved when she had blonde moments. It made me feel better about my own screw-ups. I leaned forward. "We'll be in a hot tub, babe."

"Well, how will you keep me warm when we get out?"

My fingers tightened around the fork. "I think I can come up with a thing. Or two."

A bare foot pressed against the inside of my leg. Her toes brushed against my crotch. My jaw tensed. Lauren was loving every second. She laughed again.

"Then we have a plan."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"You have a funny voice," Jake said. He divebombed his nugget into a packet of honey. Blake laughed.

"I'm originally from Kentucky," he said.

Blake was gorgeous. Even a woman like me who didn't have time for a man couldn't help but notice. He was impeccably dressed. His long black coat was draped over the back of the booth. His dress sleeves were rolled up to his elbows revealing long muscular arms.

He wasn't wearing a ring, but my eyes were like a hawk. I could see that the skin on his ringfinger was whiter than the rest of his hand.

"I'm from Chicago!" Jake announced. Blake smiled. "Then you must like snow."

Jake nodded. "Yeah-huh! Mommy and me is gonna make a snowman THIS big!" Jake threw his arms open wide. As he did, he lost control of his nugget. It ended up hitting an old guy hunched over a ratty copy of this morning's paper. Mr. Scrooge turned around and frowned.

"Sorry," I said. I put my hand on Jake's arm. He reached for a new nugget like nothing had happened.

"What are you doing in Chicago?" I asked. Blake stabbed at his salad. I felt like a pig with my Filet o Fish, fries, and Diet Coke. I knew the Diet Coke thing was a big wash, but it seemed like everyone ordered a Diet Coke at McDonald's. It was the only way to make yourself feel better, I guess.

"I'm here on business," he said. I thought I caught a little bit of hesitation in his voice.

"Are you a President?" Jake asked. Blake chuckled.

"I'm an actor," he said. "I actually took some classes in Chicago. I was meeting with one of my mentors."

"My mom's an actress," I said. I grabbed a fry and stuffed it in my mouth. The mere mention of my mom created a desperate mental need to eat.

"Oh? Anything I would have heard of?"

"My mom stars in Heartbeat," I said. "Y'know, the soap opera?"

Blake nodded. "I've heard of it. My--" he stopped. "It's really popular."

I smirked. "Yeah, I know."

"Hey Mister?" Jake asked. He stabbed his fry in a huge pile of ketchup. He always made me open about twenty packets before he would start eating. Blake leaned forward.

"Yes?"

"Are you a daddy?"

Blake's eyes softened. "Yes, I am."

Jake looked surprised. "Where are they?"

"My son's in Los Angeles right now," Blake said softly. He looked at Jake for a long moment. Jake was oblivious; the topic was already lost on him. I feared I was going to be dealing with a MAJOR case of ADHD once he started school.

"It's funny," Blake said softly. "Your son looks so much like someone I know."

I reached over and ruffled Jake's hair. "He has one of those faces."

Blake picked his fork back up and speared a cherry tomato. "I guess so. He's a cutie."

I felt a rush of affection. I knew most of the credit went to Nick. I didn't think I had contributed many genes. I had only just squeezed him out of my vajayjay after three days of intense and excruciating labor. Nothing major, really.

"He's my pride and joy," I agreed. I nibbled at another fry. I felt watchful eyes on me. When I looked up, I was surprised to see Blake looking at me. His green eyes sparkled and crinkled at the corners.

Even though I didn't want to, I melted.