- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Two

-- One Month Later --

"I'm not comfortable with this."

Shay looked way more put together than the last time I saw her. After putting me off for a month, she had run out of excuses why I couldn't see Jake. I was hovering in the doorway to her apartment. Both of us had our arms crossed.

"Okay, I understand that for now. That's why I had Lauren stay at the hotel. But Shay, I did come back. I want him to know he has a dad. I want to get to know him.

Shay sighed. A perfect spitcurl bounced against her cheek. "Nick, this is going to change Jake's whole life..."

She trailed off. I knew it was on the tip of her tongue to say it was going to change her life as well.

"Please," I whispered.

Shay lowered her head. "Come in."

She stepped back and I walked in. I heard a mechanical voice in the other room.

"Jake!" Shay called.

A minute later my mini-me ran in the room holding a Buzz Lightyear doll. He tucked it under his arm and looked up at me.

"You came BACK!"

I smiled and knelt down. "Yeah, I did," I said. I reached into my jacket. I pulled out a donut with sprinkles. Jake's eyes got huge.

"Is that for meeee?" he squealed. I nodded. He grabbed it and took a big bite. When he pulled back, both sides of his mouth were covered in chocolate.

"Jake, what do you say?" Shay asked softly.

"These spink-les are amazing!"

"Jake."

His eyes twinkled. "Thank you!"

I laughed. "You're welcome."

I looked up at Shay pleadingly. She looked pained.

"Jacob sweetie, Nick came here so that we could talk to you." Jake took another big bite of donut. He bounced from leg to leg. "Did I win the lotto-wy?"

I seriously wanted to hug him. I never expected to be the paternal type, but just thirty seconds around him made me want to fix him dinner, give him a bath, and read him a story.

Shay motioned to the couch. I walked over and sat down. Shay picked up Jake and put him on her lap. He leaned back into her chest and kept munching on the donut.

My heart started to beat faster. I wiped my sweaty palm on the side of my jeans. I felt ridiculous getting so nervous in front of a little kid, but this was big.

"Jake, do you remember when you asked me if I was your daddy?"

Jake looked at me. His tongue darted out of his mouth and he started to catch the chocolate on his face. "Uh-huh."

"Well, I am your daddy."

Jake stopped licking for a second. He brought his hand up and sucked on the frosting stuck to his fingertips. The suspense was killing me.

"What do you think Jake?" Shay asked. She hugged him tightly.

"Hmm," Jake said. "The doo-nut was messy."

I felt a pang of disappointment. I wasn't sure what I had expected, but I guess I hoped for something a little more--

"Do you like me?" Jake asked. I studied his face.

"I do like you," I said.

"Why don't you live with me and mommy?"

I looked up at Shay. Shay bent down and kissed the top of his head.

"Sometimes mommies and daddies don't live together. Nick is mommy's friends. He knew I wanted a baby and he and I made you."

"So I'm a pwesent?"

I smiled. "You were a good present," I said.

Jake sucked his fingers again. He tucked his chin towards his chest; he had a little double chin going on.

"Are you gonna stay now?" he asked.

I ran a hand through my hair. "I wish I could," I said. "Do you remember when I said I have three houses?"

Jake nodded; I couldn't be sure he really remembered. "Well, my job is to sing. I have to travel all over."

"Can I come?" Jake asked.

"No," Shay said quickly. We shared a look.

"Maybe someday," I said. Shay's eyes hardened.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"Maybe someday," Nick said. My blood ran cold.

The thought of being without Jake for even twelve hours was terrifying. I couldn't imagine him on a tour bus.

"Do you like Buzz Lightyear?" Jake asked.

Nick laughed. "To infinity and beyond!"

Jake wiggled off my lap. He crawled over to Nick. He began to ask a million other questions. His curiosity had been cranked up full force. I leaned forward.

I had no idea where this was going to go. My greatest fear was that Jake would fall in love with Nick, Nick would get bored after the novelty of being a dad wore off, and I would have a heart-broken little boy on my hands.

Then there was the problem of Nick's girlfriend. Nick had actually had the audacity to ask me if she could come over. There was no way in hell I was going to have my son be some type of zoo attraction. Besides, I didn't want to see her in person. I had seen pictures. I knew she was some gym buff. Jake would want to know who she was and a million other things.

I couldn't handle it all. Not now.

"Look!"

I turned. Jake was holding his hair up to Nick's. He giggled. I forced a smile.

"You both have blonde hair," I said. Jake nodded. He sat down on Nick's lap and continued his inquisition.

I stood up and headed to the kitchen. I wasn't much of a drinker, but I poured a capful of Jack Daniels. It burned going down my throat. I sighed.

The sound of my doorbell broke me out of my daze. I put the bottle back up above the refrigerator and headed out to the living room. Nick looked at me.

"I'm sorry," he said. "Were you expecting company?"

"I actually have a babysitter lined up," I said.

"Well, I can watch Jake," Nick said.

"Yeah!" Jake said enthusiastically. "My daddy can watch me!"

I still wasn't sure how much Jake understood. He was always so happy-go-lucky.

"Uhm," I said. The doorbell rang again. I flipped the lock and opened the door.

Blake greeted me with a smile and a bouquet of flowers.

"For you," he said. I blushed. "Thank you."

"Blake's here!" Jake yelled. Half a beat later, Jake's hands pressed against my legs, he leaned over and smiled up at my date.

"Come meet my daddy!" Jake said happily.

Blake looked at me in confusion. I laughed nervously.

"I'm sorry. It's been a crazy day..." I said lamely.

I felt an arm brush against my elbow. Nick had gotten up off the couch. He stood at the doorway; his face was a mask of surprise.

Blake paled. Jake let go of me; he grabbed Nick's hand.

"This is mommy's friend, Blake!"

"Kevin?" Nick said thickly.

"Nick?" Blake whispered.

"Kevin?" I asked.

Blake (Kevin?) looked at me sheepishly; Nick just looked pissed.