- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Six

"It was so nice to see a movie that didn't have a princess in it for a change," I said happily. Kevin had let me pick the movie. Desperate for something meant for adults, I chose Due Date. I was glad I did; it was just the perfect, stupid movie I needed to see to get my mind off...things.

"The part where Peter got the contact buzz and got arrested was priceless," Kevin said with a laugh. His arm went around me, his fingers moving gently up and down my side. I laughed with him; there was something about him that made me feel totally at ease.

"Can I talk you into a coffee?"

The 'mom' in me was going to say no; the woman in me who was enjoying his touch nodded.

It's a proven fact that there is a Starbucks or another coffee shop on almost every corner in Chicago. We walked maybe half of a city block before the familiar sign appeared.

"I think it's going to snow," Kevin said. His breath fogged up the air in front of him as he opened the door for me. His hand brushed my back as I walked in. The line was short; it was an odd time of day. People were either working or too poor to afford Starbucks. I ordered a hot chocolate; Kevin ordered a coffee. We found our way to a little table in back corner of the store. I hopped up on the barstool, my hands comforted by the warmth emerging from the cup. I took a sip and relished the liquid chocolate sliding down my throat. I must have been a little too overwhelmed with the amazingness of it all; when I looked at Kevin, he was staring hard at me. I blushed.

"I like a good hot chocolate," I said awkwardly. He smiled. His fingers drummed against the cup in his hands. He leaned forward.

"It's not that," he said quietly. It was amazing how his deep voice seemed to vibrate even when he whispered. "You just look so beautiful with your face flushed from the wind and that smile."

Holy macaroni and cheese, Batman!

"I--phew," I said. I stared down at my drink. The whipped cream they had put on top was quickly melting into oblivion. Kevin's hand reached out and took my own. I couldn't help but look at him again.

"I love spending time with you," he said. "You don't know how much being around you helps."

"I can't imagine being away from Jake," I said quietly. "But I'm sure Mason knows what a terrific dad he has."

Kevin's eyes grew moist. The hand that had still been wrapped around his cup reached out and stroked my face. His thumb trailed down my cheek and ran a feathery soft trail aong my bottom lip.

I was in a trance. My hot chocolate was all but forgotten as he leaned over the table and kissed me.

It was the first full lip-on-lip kiss I had gotten from Kevin. After a month full of cheek and hand kisses, I wasn't prepared for how delicious his real kiss would be. I'm surprised I didn't explode right then and there; it had been too long and it was just that good. It suddenly seemed ridiculous that I was wearing a scarf; it was warm...hot actually. As the kiss slowed, he drew out three smaller kisses, practically taking me across the table with him I was so wanton.

Unfortunately, our lips did end up becoming two separate beings again. The look on Kevin's face almost brought me to my knees. There was no misinterpretation.

He wanted me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"But, Jake, buddy, look. Look how good Rondo is on the court. And Ray Allen and--"

"GO BULLS!"

Ugh, it broke my heart. I was sitting in Shay's living room with Jake on my lap and he was wearing (I shudder to even say it) a Bulls jersey. The Celtics and Bulls were playing against each other and my son (my son!) was rooting for the enemy.

The maintenance guy had come and gone. After going on and on for a half hour how he had never seen anything like it, he did two little things (I don't know what exactly) and the leak was fixed.

"I like how the men bounce the baskey-ball so fast," Jake said. He leaned forward and pretended to air dribble.

"Look how fast the green guys bounce the ball," I said.

"Noah bounces it faster! Mommy said he's the best."

I was going to have to have a serious talk with Shay. There was no way Jake could go through life rooting for the Bulls. It might take some time, but I was going to get my little guy in a green jersey by his fourth birthday.

"Would you like to go to a basketball game with me sometime?" I asked. Jake stopped air dribbling. His head fell back against my chest and he looked at me in surprise.

"We can sit on the bleachies?"

I smiled. "Of course. We can sit on the court."

I didn't bother to tell him we'd be sitting on the Celtics court when I made this dream come true. Little details didn't matter.

"COOL! I want a foam fin--"

"Ahh. Mmm. Shhhh."

There was a sudden burst of laughter. I leaned back and craned my neck as far as I could. I could see just the very corner of the door.

"Mmm."

I scooted Jake off my lap. He didn't seem to care about the noise coming from the hall; his eyes were glued on the players as they ran back and forth on the court. I walked around the couch and practically tiptoed towards the sounds. I heard a loud 'ooohhh' just as I rounded the corner.

The front door was wide open. Kevin's hands were on either side of Shay, faux-pinning her against the wall. His lips were busily sucking her neck.

"What are you, part vampire?" I blurted. Shay's eyes flew open. The flush that was spread across her cheeks was familiar. I had caused a similar blush before.

Kev didn't move as quickly as Shay. His head turned lazily and he grinned at me. It was a cocky grin.

"Did you get the shower fixed?"

I didn't want to talk about the shower. I wanted to talk about how they were making out like two teenagers with a little boy just feet away. Shay leaned into Kevin intimately and he dropped his arms. She gave him a gorgeous smile and turned to me.

"Did you get the shower fixed?" she asked softly.

My pride was at stake. I stood up straight. "Of course. I'm so glad that you both doubted me."

"You really fixed it?" Kevin asked in surprise.

"Of c--"

"The tubby guy came and he banged-ed on the wall a few times and got the drippies to stop."

We all looked down at Jake. He smiled adorably, lifted his jersey and started slapping his tummy.

"I want a hot doooooog!"

Shay moved towards the kitchen; Jake skipped happily behind her. Kevin smirked.

"When are you going to learn that lying gets you nowhere?"

I gritted my teeth. "When are you going back to L.A.?"

My question didn't seem to bother him. He closed the door. "I start shooting tomorrow."

"Where?" I asked. I had a feeling I already knew the answer.

"Right here. In Chicago. I'm going to be around for awhile. You're just going to have to get used to it."

My hands clenched into fists. It wasn't fair. I had shit I had to do. We were recording the new album, we had rehearsals for the AMA's for the whole NKOTBSB thing, and I had my solo album promotion to start thinking about. There was no way I could stay in Chicago.

Kevin was going to get to play house with Jake and Shay while I...

While I was left out in the cold.