- Text Size +
Chapter Thirty Two

I was happy. Happier and more relaxed than I could ever remember. Kevin had left late last night admist many more kisses. I let out a soft sigh, admiring the way the carmel and mocha blended in my drink, when I heard an excited little squeal.

"MOMMY!"

I looked up just in time to see Jake break out into a run. I put my cup down and opened my arms. His smile instantly reminded me why I loved him so much. I squeezed him tightly.

"Hey buddy, did you have fun?"

"Yeah-HUH!"

I looked up. Nick was almost to us; Jake's bag was slung over his shoulder. His middle finger on his right hand was heavily wrapped in bandages.

"What happened?"

"Dad-dee tried to bowl with my ball but he has fatty fingers," Jake said. "He broked one."

Nick gave me a lop-sided smile. "Yeah, it wasn't my finest moment."

"Long weekend?" I guessed. Nick laughed.

"A great weekend," he amended. He gave me a long look. "You look...happy." He sounded surprised.

"I am," I said lightly. Jake was doing impatient little jumps at me. I scooped him up. "I had a wonderful weekend."

"Didja miss me?" Jake asked. I tickled his armpit. He burst into loud, spit-lobbing laughter.

"I missed you bunches!" I said enthusiastically.

"What did you do?" Nick asked. I smiled.

"I mostly just stayed at the hotel and just had some me time," I said. It wasn't a total lie; I just didn't think mentioning my surprise visit from Kevin was any of his business.

"What did you guys do?" I asked.

That was all Jake needed. I heard about Mickey Mouse pancakes, bowling, his Lightning McQueen bed and his subsequent bedwetting incident. Nick's eyes danced with amusement.

He hadn't been scared off. Jake kissed my cheek.

"Mom-mee you gotsta meet Lauwen. She's real nice."

Nick looked at me. I looked at him. It was getting harder and harder to hate him. Time and proximity was wearing away some of the animosity I held. When I looked at Nick, I saw Jake. The love residing there trumped the ill-will.

"I'd love to meet her next time," I said.

"She'd like that too," Nick said quickly.

Nick and I made small talk for a few minutes; Jake jumped in whenever he could. As I juggled him to my other hip, I stared up at the departure screen.

"Can I call you after the cruise and talk about custody?" Nick asked. I looked at him. "I'd like to figure out a schedule that we both can live with," he added.

I exhaled. This had just been the first weekend. My big problem was going to be passing through the time when I didn't have a dark-haired knight to distract me.

"Okay," I said.

The time to begin the ordeal of flying back to Chicago was nearing. I smiled.

"Have a good time on the cruise," I added. Nick laughed. "It's going to be crazy. But thank you, I will."

He leaned towards me, his lips puckered. My heart jumped into my throat. I felt like a fool when he kissed Jake's cheek.

"Love you buddy," Nick said softly. Jake reached over and gave him a big smack.

"Love you dad-dee!" Jake chirped.

Nick handed me Jake's carry-on. There was a second of awkwardness; Nick actually gave me a quick hug.

"Be safe," he said. I started to back up. I nodded like a bobblehead.

"We will. Bye."

"BYE!" Jake yelled.

"BYE!" Nick yelled.

"SEE YA WAIT-ER!"

"After awhile, crocodile!" Nick shouted.

Jake giggled. His head snuggled onto my shoulder.

"Cwocodile," he repeated. He sighed. "I missed you, mommy."

I smiled and kissed his mop of blonde hair.

"I love you, Jakey."

He yawned. "Yup." I laughed. Life was good.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Life sucked. I knew exactly what Shay had felt like watching me take Jake. The sight of her carrying Jake away killed me. I would have gladly changed wet sheets forever (okay, maybe not FOREVER) if I could have gotten a few more days with him. Or a whole week. Or a month. Or--

The throbbing in my finger seemed to get more prominent. My pain medication had totally worn off. I rubbed my neck.

I wasn't going to cry.

Shay had looked so relaxed, sitting there smiling into her cup. I had expected a frantic reunion. Instead, she had seemed practically carefree.

It was the look of a woman in love. Or at least in lust.

Something told me Kevy-kins had paid her a visit.

I walked back to the car mumbling under my breath. I felt bad, but in all honesty, I didn't trust Kevin. It just seemed improbable that a man who had his act together could just get up, divorce the woman he had been with forever, leave a son he adored, and just pick up on a whim and become Mr. Movie Star. On top of that, Kev was all about health and nutrition. I couldn't count the times he had bitched me out because I had gone on a midnight Mickey D's run. Shay wasn't the type to go hiking up a mountain.

By the time I got back to the car, I was settled into my pissy mood. Lauren rolled the driver's side window down.

"I don't like that look."

"Jake's gone, Kevin's an asswipe, and my finger's fucking throbbing," I said. I walked around the car, yanked open the passenger door, and hopped inside.

"Jake leaving sucks, I can agree on that one. I'll get you some Advil for your finger when we get home. But why is Kevin an asswipe?"

I opened my mouth to spew all the nasty thoughts I was thinking, but I thought twice. I didn't think that Lauren would appreciate my obsession over Kevin and Shay's relationship. I knew it shouldn't matter, but...

"Do you think she's obsessing over you sleeping with me?" Lauren asked. She had her eyes glued to the windshield as she pulled out of the parking space.

"Do you know how many girls obsess over me sleeping with you?" I asked.

Lauren snickered. "You mean how one night with you ruins a girl for all over men?"

I grinned. "It does?"

Lauren laughed. "You're good...but not that good. I'd crawl under the covers with Beckham any day."

"I'm sorry but why the hell do you want a guy that's good with playing with balls?"

Lauren reached over and took my left hand. She gave it a squeeze.

"Why don't we go home and make up for last night? I'll show you how good I am at playing with balls."

I suddenly didn't feel so pissy anymore. I brought her hand up to my lips.

"Deal."