- Text Size +
Chapter Fifty One

"What kind of chance?"

Nick's eyes followed Jake as he crawled along a metal connecting bar from one part of the playground equipment to the other.

"I want the chance to see if we could work."

Yes. "I'm willing to try," I said softly. "But, I have to ask. Where does Lauren stand in all of this?" Nick didn't look at me, but I saw his lips curve into a smile.

"She's giving me time to make my decision," he laughed. He actually laughed. "She's a lot more like me than I thought."

"Well, sometimes opposites attract," I said. Nick turned and looked at me seriously.

"Very true."

"MOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYY!!!"

You know how people always go, 'But, I just took my eyes off him for a minute!'? I was suddenly living that scenario. Jake was on the ground, his voice like nails going down a chalkboard. Nick and I both flew to him.

"MOOO-HOM--MY!" Jake bawled. The tears were coming faster than his face cold hold them.

Nick noticed his wrist first. "Uh-oh."

Jake's wrist was turned in an unnatural position. He was holding his elbow which was bleeding badly, his little chest heaving. Nick scooped him up. I wrapped my arms around him, subsequently the both of them, and murmured into Jake's hair, trying to stay calm.

"It's going to be alright," I whispered. "You hurt your wrist, but mommy's here. Daddy's got you."

Jake lifted his head and sniffled. I noticed the dark tear stain spreading on Nick's t-shirt. He looked at both of us.

"My spaceship ran out of green beans!"

And he began to cry again.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"D-A-D-D-D-D-"

"Way too many d's, buddy."

We were sitting in the emergency room. They had just snapped Jake's broken wrist back into place (I almost fainted) and the cast was hardening.

I'm pretty sure it weighed more than his whole little body.

To pass the time, I was letting Jake help me choose what 'design' he wanted me to draw on his cast once we could write on it. Jake was doped from the pain medication. I had never seen him so calm. I watched his head lift and his eyes search for Shay.

"Mommy? My tummy hurts," he whispered.

Those three little words snapped her into immediate action. She managed to find one of those disgusting yellow mustard colored bedpans and push it under Jake's chin right before he spewed all over me.

"Oh buddy," I whispered. I pushed the crayons and paper out of the way, turning for some paper towels. I grabbed a handful and turned back around. Jake's chin quivered as he tried not to cry.

"This is the worstest day of my life," he whimpered.

Shay and I looked at each other. "It's going to be a long night," I whispered.

"You can go home," she whispered back. I smiled.

"I would, but there's one little problem."

Shay glanced back down at Jake. Obviously feeling assured that he wasn't going to upchuck anymore, she put the bedpan aside.

"What problem?"

"It's more Lauren's house than mine. We went 60/40 on it. So I'm kinda, well..."

"Homeless."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"This is only going to be for two nights," Nick assured me.

"Why? You don't leave for South America for a couple weeks, right?"

Nick smiled. "Our first concert's the 18th in Brazil. The guys all want to go down a week early. So I'm gonna go and mooch off Brian, drink virgin pina coladas with Howie, and cause general chaos with AJ."

"You don't have to," I said with a laugh. "You can mooch off me."

I watched him shake a blanket out over the couch. "No, it's okay." He looked at me, his blue eyes serious and thoughtful. "I guess it comes down to needing some Nick time."

"That makes sense," I said. "Lord knows I need some Shay time."

"But, you have Jake." Nick looked guilty.

"Jake's a therapeutic part of Shay time. He's my comic relief."

We smiled. The pain medication the ER physician gave Jake before we brought him home had practically rendered him unconscious. He looked so lumpy laying in bed with his cast.

As quiet as he was tonight; I was prepared for a VERY grumpy boy in the morning.

"I'll be back in the U.S. by April 15," Nick continued with a yawn. I handed him a pillow. "I'm doing a quick tour in Japan for my solo record."

I felt hopelessly clueless. "You have a solo record?" I gave him a teasing smile. "You sing?"

He rolled his eyes. "Very funny. And yes, I have a solo record. My second. Just me. Jake likes it."

"Jake's heard it?"

Nick laughed. "Yes. I'm instilling good music in our son."

He rooted around in his bag and pulled out an IPod. He held it out.

"Music to sleep on."

I took it. Falling asleep to Nick held some promise. Falling asleep with Nick help even MORE promise. But, maybe the songs would help me forget he was just in the next room.

Yeah right. "I'll give you my review in the morning," I said as he settled down on the couch.

"I look forward to it."

He wrapped the blanket around his broad shoulders and I reached over and flipped off the table lamp. I couldn't help but run my hand through his hair like I did with Jake's.

"Night, Nick."

His hand reached up and wrapped around my own. He brought it to his lips and kissed it.

"Night."

A half hour later, I was still wide awake, listening to the lyrics flowing through my ears. I knew I was probably smiling like an idiot, but I couldn't help it.

I think I’ll put my space suit on So I can jump into my rocket...

I suddenly realized why Jake had become obsessed with astronauts and rockets.

But I still hadn't figured out the green bean part.