- Text Size +

The airplane terminal was loud and busy as people were flying to their families.

“I really freaking hate flying during Christmas time.” Nick grumbled from where they were waiting to board their plane.

Brian, Kevin, and Howie, who had been talking about what to get their kids for Christmas, rolled their eyes at him. AJ, who had just gotten off of the phone with this divorce lawyer, said,

“Me too, Nicky.” AJ wasn’t in the best of moods lately. Rochelle had taken two month old Ava, left, and filed for divorce after she found out AJ had kissed a girl on their last tour.

“Stop being sour pusses you two,” Brian said. “You guys are coming over for the rest of this month and are joining us for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, remember? Leighanne is making a ton of food and Bay is expecting his two favorite uncles to be happy.”

Nick and AJ stuck their tongues out at him and smiled. They liked hanging out with Brian, Leiganne, and Baylee. The Littrells never got tired of them and they were the most supportive. They were there when Rochelle took off on AJ and when Lauren left Nick. True, Lauren and Rochelle left because Nick and AJ were all but cheating on them in front of their faces. But it still tore up AJ and Nick inside to know that the women that loved them the most left them.

The boys were on their way home from New York City. They had just got done shooting another commercial for Old Navy. They all were taking the same first flight to Atlanta. Nick, Brian, and AJ would of course get off there and go to Brian and Leighaanne’s house. Kevin would be going back to L.A. until January when they started their next tour in London. Howie was going back home to Florida. Leigh was due to pop out the next baby boy Dorough next week.

“Hey, Nicky.” Kevin said, pulling him out of his depressed stupor. “How is Aaron’s Broadway show going? We didn’t get a lot of time to catch up yesterday.”

Nick shook his head to clear it and said, “It’s going well. They’re giving him some time off next month so he can work more on his new album.”

“That’s cool that he’s making music again.” AJ said as it was announced that it was time for them to board their plane.

 As they got to their seats, Nick asked Kevin, “Hey, Kev. Can we switch seats? I want to talk to AJ.”

Kevin looked at Brian, who Nick usually sat next to, shrugged, and said, “Sure, fine with me.”

As they switched seats, AJ looked at Nicky with a confused look on his face. As he sat down, AJ asked,

“What’s up Nicky?”

“I want to talk to you about girl problems.” Nick said, a little embarrassed. “You’re the only one who can really understand. The other guys are just so happy in their marriages.”

AJ understood. They both were going through bad breakups. AJ clapped him on his shoulder and said, “Anything you need, Nicky. I’m here for ya. You know that.”

“Yeah, I know.” Nick replied as the plane took off. “That’s why I wanted to ask you something.”

“Anything, Nicky.” AJ said comfortably. “Ask away.”

“Do you think it’s too early to start talking to other girls so soon after Lauren broke up with me?” Nick asked nervously, blushing a little bit.

AJ thought carefully about how to answer. It was a rare occasion when Nick asked for advice, or when he sounded nervous, or when he blushed. So this must mean that this situation was really important to him.

Finally, AJ answered, “Well, Nicky, ultimately the decision is up to you. You know your heart and your mind. But to me, I think three weeks is plenty of time to start talking to other girls. Maybe not have a full blown relationship, but talking to them, yes.”

Nick smiled and said, “Thanks AJ. That means a lot.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, are you already talking to another girl?”

Nick blushed again, and said, “Yeah, kind of. I’ve been texting an old friend. I kind of like her, but I don’t want to tell her yet.”

AJ pounder his shoulder, smiled, and said, “Nick, you fog. Already back in the game! So, who is this lucky lady?”

Nick blushed again and cleared his throat, internally uncomfortable. He scratched his arm and said, “I’d rather not say. I want to see where it goes from here.”

That wasn’t the entire truth. The real reason Nick didn’t want to mention to AJ who the girl was, was because it was Rochelle. He didn’t mean to start having these kinds of feelings for her; it just happened. She was upset that AJ was cheating on her and she texted him for friendly advice. That’s all it was supposed to be, but they’ve continued texting even after she took Ava and left AJ.

“Are you okay, Nicky?” Brian asked from across the aisle, jerking Nick out of his trance. “You look worried about something.”

“I’m okay Frick, just tired.” Nick lied to his best friend.

Brian could sense Nick wasn’t being entirely truthful, but he figured he was still upset about Lauren, so he smiled at him and said, “Okay, Frack. Why don’t you doze off? I’ll wake you up when the plane lands.”

“Thanks Frick. I think I’ll do that.” Nick replied as he closed his eyes. He was out in seconds.

AJ and Brian looked at each other, rolled their eyes, and laughed at Nick. It was usually Howie who could fall asleep anywhere at will.

“I think this Lauren situation is getting the best of him.” Kevin said quietly to Brian, looking at Nick with deep concern in his eyes.

Kevin has always been protective over his four younger brothers, Nick especially. He hated when they were in any kind of pain.

“I think so too.” Brian said concern in his voice for his best friend. “I hope this holiday away with AJ and I help him out.”

“I don’t think AJ is doing well either,” Kevin said, shifting his concerned gaze over to AJ. Next to Nick, AJ had the biggest part in Kevin’s heart. AJ looked up to him and always asked for his support.

“I know,” Brian sighed. “I just hope this holiday and then the tour helps them both. I know Leighanne is concerned for them.”

“Well, I think being out of L.A. for bit will help them both.” Kevin said, turning his gaze to his cousin. He could tell Nick and AJ’s pain was taking its toll on Brian as well. Brian was the most sensitive of the group, and stressed out when one of the other boys were going through a tough time.

Brian sighed again and closed his eyes. “I hope so. They deserve to be happy.”

“I know Bri, I know.” Kevin said, patting his cousin’s shoulder. “We’ll get them through this. We’re all a big family and we can get through anything together.”

Nick jerked awake when Brian started to shake his shoulder.

“Calm down Frack.” Brian chuckled. “The plane landed. It’s time to get off.”

Nick shook his head to clear away the sleep. He stood up and stretched, everything in his body popped and cracked.

“Jee, Nicky.” AJ chuckled. “You’re getting old, huh?”

Howie chuckled from behind them. Nick stuck his tongue out at both of them and as he grabbed his carry-on bag, said, “Oh, shut it you two. I’m still younger than both of you.”

Nick gaffed and sprinted off the plane after Brian and Kevin. When they were all off the plane, they headed toward the luggage claim. When they got there, people were already grouped around it, so they had to wait awhile to finally get their luggage. When they finally got it, AJ, Nick, and Brian turned to Kevin and Howie, who each had one more light to their respected homes.

“I’ll see you guys in January.” Howie said, hugging each of his brothers.

“Tell Leigh and James we said hi and that we miss them.” AJ said when Howie hugged him.

“I will,” Howie said. “Goodbye guys.” He grabbed his luggage and headed toward his next flight.

“Nick, AJ.” Kevin started, warning in his voice.

“We know, we know.” AJ and Nick said in union.

“Stay out of trouble.”

“Don’t bug Brian and Leighanne too much.”

“Don’t teach Bay anything bad.”

“Okay, okay.” Kevin said, rolling his eyes at them. “Just be good and don’t get into too much trouble.” He hugged them both and then grabbed his luggage. “Good luck with them, Bri.”

Brian laughed as Kevin headed toward his next flight as well. “Come on guys. Leighanne is probably waiting for us outside. We don’t want to keep her waiting.” Briand said as he headed toward the airport doors.

Nick grunted and said, “What Frick, are you scared of your wife?”

Brian looked behind him as AJ and Nick started following him and said, “You’d be afraid of her too if you’ve ever actually seen her mad, Frack.”

AJ laughed at the look on Nick’s face as they stepped out into the bright Atlanta winter light. Leighanne and Baylee had managed to get a spot right outside the door and were waiting outside the car for them.

“Daddy!” Baylee yelled, running to Brian and hugging him hard.

“Bay! I’ve missed you buddy.” Brian said, emotion coloring his voice as he hugged Baylee back.

AJ looked on with envy as Leighanne went to hug Brian as well. Envy because up until a month ago, AJ had his own baby to hug and love, and then Rochelle took that away. He looked away quickly, tears in his eyes. Next thing he knew, Baylee was hugging his waist.

“I’ve missed you Uncle AJ! Are you staying for a while?” Baylee asked, getting excited.

AJ looked down at him, hugged him back and said, “Yup. Uncle Nick and I are going to be here for a while.”

“Yay! I can show you guys my karate!” Baylee said, his eyes lighting up.

“That would be awesome.” Nick said as Baylee hugged him. “You can show us your mad skills.”

Everyone laughed at that and the other people waiting for their rides looked at them like they were crazy.

As they stopped laughing, Leighanne smiled and said, “It’s nice to have you guys around. Not let’s get out of here before we start a Backstreet Boys fan riot.”

They all looked around and noticed that people were realizing who they were. They looked back at each other and scrambled into Brian’s car. They didn’t want a frenzy to start at the entrance of the airport. They know personally how bad that could turn out.

“So, how did the commercial shoot go guys?” Leighanne asked as she put the car in drive and started out of the airport parking lot.

“It was okay, kind of cold though.” Brian said from the passenger’s seat.

“Kind of cold?” Nick snorted. “We were freezing our nuts off!”

AJ snorted with laughter and Brian and Leighanne yelled, “Nick!” Baylee just looked confused.

“What?” Nick said, amused as he turned his phone back on. “I was just stating a true fact. We were freezing our nuts off!”

AJ snorted with laughter and Brian finally joined in. Leighanne snorted in disgust and rolled her eyes at them. Baylee looked more confused than ever.

Nick had zoned out quickly after that. When he turned on his phone, he saw he had a text from Rochelle. His heart beat picked up and blood rushed into his ears. He opened it and his eyes almost popped out of his head.

“Are you okay Nicky C?” AJ asked, concerned. He had noticed Nick’s eyes almost pop out of his head.

“Yeah,” Nick said blankly, trying to find a way to reply. “Fine.”

Rochelle had sent him a topless picture and said, “Nick, I think I love you.” His junk had instantly started to rise, so he quickly out his coat over it. He needed to get to Brian’s house and into the shower quick, so he could take care of his business.

He quickly texted her back “I think I love you too.” Before AJ could look over and she who he was texting.

“Texting your mystery girl?” AJ teased, not knowing just how sensitive this situation was.

“Nick’s got a mystery girl?” Brian whirled around in his seat at the news.

“Yes and yea.” Nick said slyly. “I’ll tell you all about it when we get to your house, Frick.”

“You better, Frack.” Brain demanded, a little joke in his voice. “I want to hear all about it.”
“Well, while you two dofuses are catching up,” Leighanne started, making fun of her husband and his best friend. “AJ and Bay can help me make dinner.”

“Yeah, Uncle AJ!” Baylee piped up. “We’re making shrimp, spaghetti, and hamburgers.”

AJ, Brian, and Nick drooled. They all loved home cooked meals, especially Leighanne’s cooking.

“Sounds good to me.” AJ said, messing up Baylee’s hair and smiling. This could be just what he needed to finally start getting over Rochelle. Maybe he’s take a page out of Nick’s book and start talking to other girls. Dating used to be easy for him, it shouldn’t be that hard to get back into the game.

“You two don’t mind sharing a room do you?” Leighanne asked him and Nick as she pulled off of the freeway. “Our other spare room is under renovation at the moment. We found mold in it.”

AJ made an ‘ew’ face as Nick said, “Nah, it’ll be fine. We’ve shared rooms before, right Bone?”

AJ nodded in agreement and said, “Right Kaos. It won’t be too much of a big deal, Leighanne.”

“Yeah, and we promise we won’t destroy it like the other rooms we’ve shared!” Nick said jokingly. That is if AJ doesn’t find out about Rochelle. Nick thought to himself.

They all laughed at that as Leighanne pulled into their driveway. When she got the car into the garage, Brian said, “Home sweet home.”

“It’s about time you get to enjoy it too.” Leighanne said as she turned off the car.

Both Nick and AJ made noises of disgust at their mushiness and bolted out of the car with their stuff, Baylee not to far behind them. Leighanne and Brian laughed at the three of them and then kissed swiftly before they got out of the car themselves.

“Let’s go bring our stuff inside.” Brian suggested. “So Frack can tell me about this mystery girl and AJ and Bay can help Leighanne with dinner, because I’m starving.”

They all dragged their luggage into the house by the side door connected to the garage. As AJ, Brian, and Nick brought their stuff upstairs, Baylee went to wash up and Leighanne went to get dinner started. As they dropped their luggage in their shared room, Nick asked AJ,

“Do you want me to put your stuff away while you’re helping Leighanne?”

“Nah,” AJ said. “I’ll do it afterwards.” He put his luggage on the right side of the king sized bed.

“Okay,” Nick said, smiling at AJ, something stirred low in his groan. Huh. Nick thought to himself as he started to put his stuff away and AJ left the room. That was weird.

Before he thought anymore over it, Brian came in and sat down on the bed. As Nick put his last piece of clothing away, Brian said,

“So, Frack, who’s this mystery girl of yours?”

Nick sighed and sat down. His brain was so confused and muddled with his feelings for Rochelle and with whatever just happened between him and AJ. He took a deep breath and said,

“Frick, I’m so freaking confused right now, it’s not even funny.”

“Well, tell me Frack, and maybe I can help.” Brian said, comfortably.

Nick took another deep breath and closed his eyes. Slowly, he let out his breath and began. He told Brian everything. How he and Rochelle had been texting and how he had developed feelings for her. He even told Brian about the topless text she sent today. He took a pause and debated about telling his best friend about the weird, but exhilarating feelings he just felt for AJ. Nick decided to tell him. When he got done, Brian’s jaw was dropped and his face had a look of deep confusion on it.

Nick looked at his best friend and sighed. He closed his eyes and asked in a horrified whisper, “I messed up big time didn’t I Frick?”

…..

Chapter End Notes:

The next couple chapters will be in different point of views of the boys'. I hope you enjoy!