- Text Size +

Howie sat in his favorite chair, facing the sliding gkass door that overlooked the ocean. He was in shock. He was glad that Leigh had to take little Howie and James to the doctors. He couldn't deal with the many questions this would bring on. He had just gotten off the phone with Brian twenty minutes previous and he'd been staring blankly into the ocean ever since.

How could AJ and Nick do that in Brian's house? Howie thought to himself. And then how could Nick just walk out like that?

Howie shook his head and stood up. He couldn't be like this when Leigh brought the boys home. He went to the kitchen to grab a beer, hoping it'd help clear his head. Brian had also told him that AJ was getting back together with Rochelle. As he sat back down and took a swif of his beer, Howie started to think to himself again.

What the hell is going on in this world of ours? He shook his head again as he heard the front door open. He stood up again to greet his wife and sons. James came running in and jumped into his arms.

"Daddy, guess what?" James asked with a smile.

Howie readjusted James on his hip and responded, "What baby boy?"

"Howie is nice and healthy." James squealed with happiness as Leigh pushed little Howie into the living room.

He smiled at James and said, "Oh yeah? And what about you?"

"I'm healthy too, daddy!" James giggled, hugginn Howie around the neck.

Howie smiled at James again, put him down and went to go hug Leigh and Little Howie. Baby Howie giggled and smiled as he picked him up.

:He was such a good boy. He didn't even cry once during the check-up!" Leigh said as she leaned in to give him a kiss.

"That's good," Howie said with a smile, totally memorized by his giggling, healthy baby boy.

For a few moments, Howie let his troubles of the past hour escape his mind. Then his phone  rang. He quickly handed little Howie to Leigh and quickly went to get his phone off of the coffee table.

When he picked up his phone and looked at the caller ID, Howie sighed in relief. It was only Kevin.

He quickly answered and said, "What's up, Kev?"

.....

AJ went back upstairs after breakfast to pack so he could catch his plane back to LA. Brian and Leighanne were shocked when he told them that he was going back home.

Brian even asked on concern, "Are you sure, Jay? We don't mind you staying here for as long as you need too."

Just as Leighanne was about to agree, AJ assured them that he was going to be fine.

Back up in the guest room, as AJ zipped up hislast piece of luggage, Baylee walked in quietly with tears in his eyes.

AJ caught sight of him, knelt down to his level, and with worry in his voice, asked, "Bay, are you okay buddy? What's wrong?"

Baylee just looked at him for a second, then burst out, "Everyone's leaving Uncle AJ! First Uncle Nick, now you. You guys were suppossed to stay here for Christmas!"

As Baylee finally burst into tears, AJ took him into his arms, and as reassuringly as he could, said, "Baylee Thomas Wylee Littrell, it's not your fault at all. Uncle Nick has some stuff he needs to work out and I have a family too, remember? How 'bout this, since I don't leave for another four hours, we can hang out. And I'll be sure to send you the best Christmas present ever."

Baylee nodded into his chest and said, a little shaky, "Okay, Uncle AJ. But you still love me, right?"

AJ held Baylee out at arms length so he could see him properly as he said, "Of course I still love you, Bay. I will always love you, no matter what happens. You know that."

Baylee hugged him and said, "Thanks, Uncle AJ. You're the best."

.....

Brian, Leighanne, and Baylee sat in shock as AJ went back upstairs to pack.

"Daddy," Baylee said in a scared voice. "Is Uncle AJ really leaving?"

Brain looked at his son, who had tears in his eyes, and frooze. He didn't know what to say to Baylee. Luckily, Leighanne was there to come to his rescue.

"Yes baby, he's really leaving, but that doesn't mean he doesn't love you, okay?"

Baylee looked between his parents a few times, then jumped away from the table and quickly ran up the stairs, tears still in his eyes.

"Baylee!" Brian and Leighanne yelled after him.

Brian sighed and closed his eyes in defeat. He was having the worst week ever and he didn't know just how much more he could handle before he completely lost his head to the madness.

He felt Leighanne get up from the table and leave the room and still did not open his eyes. He couldn't face the reality that was right in front of him until he was calm and he knew it wouldn't strain his heart, which already had enough problems.

He faintly heard Leighanne coaz Baylee out of the guest room and back downstairs. Brian relaxed a little at that. He only opened his eyes when Leighanne came back into the kitchen after getting Baylee to watch some TV.

"How's he doing?" Brian asked her as she sat back down at the table.

"Which one, Bay or Alex?" Leighanne asked back with a slight smile.

Brian took that as a good thing and said, "Both, I guess. I'm worried about them both."

Leighanne chuckled and said, "I think Bay is feeling much better than Alex is, espcially after what he just pulled up in the guest room."

Brian sat up straight and said sharply, "What did Baylee do?"

"Calm down, Bri." Leighanne said, keeping her head. "He just cried a little, fake I might add, and he made ALex feel a little guilty. Even got AJ to say the words 'I Love You'."

Brian's jaw dropped in surprise and Leighanne burst out laughing at his expression.

"What's so funny?" AJ asked, suddenly coming back into the kitchen, making them both jump. Leighanne even squealed a little.

"Alexander James McLean!" Leighanne said sharply. smaking his arm. "Don't you ever scare us like that again! You'll give us both heart attacks."

AJ chuckled and said, "You know I would never do that, Leighanne, cause if both you and Bri had had heart attacks, I would have to take care of Bay and I'm sure that wouldn't help you guys get better at all."

Both Brian and Leighanne laughed at that and then Brian said,

"Damn right it wouldn't help us get any better, you prick!"

AJ smiled, stretched, and got up.

"Well, I'm going to go watch TV with Bay before I leave," he said as he made his way to the living room.

Brian and Leiganne smiled and tried to hold in their laughter, but failed miserably. It was a light, fun atmosphere the last few hours AJ was there.

When he went to catch his plane, they each gave him a hug in turn. Before he stepped through the open dppr, he looked at Brian and said,

"Stay safe, Prick. I'll be sending your gifts in the mail soon.”

.....

Chapter End Notes:

Once again, sorry for the delay of the upload. I hope you enjoy it.