- Text Size +

3 Months Later

Both Brian and Howie’s flights to L.A landed at the same time. After they each got their luggage, they met at the doors of the airport to catch a cab to Kevin’s place.

In the three months they’ve been apart, not one of them had heard from Nick. AJ was back with Rochelle and Ava and doing well.

Howie and Brian were going to be staying at Kevin’s house for the next two weeks. All of them (with the exception of Nick, because no one knew what was going on with him) were going to spend the next two weeks going over the tour schedule and trying to get ahold of Nick. They already had to postpone the tour by a few months because Kevin had gotten terribly sick.

As they got into the back of the taxi and headed towards Kevin’s, Brian took a chance on the wind and attempt to get ahold of Nick. As usual, it went straight to voicemail.

“No luck than?” Howie asked as Brian put away his phone.

“Nope, it went straight to voicemail again. I can’t believe he’s doing this. After all we’ve done for the ungrateful brat.” Brain said, his anger at his best friend finally boiling over.

“Bri, I know you’re angry, but there’s not much we can do until he realizes what a big brat he’s being.” Howie said, trying to give Nick at least a little bit of a chance.

“Howie, he’s 32! He’s had time to grow up. He’s not a kid anymore.” Brian snapped, still angry.

At Brian’s outburst, the taxi driver jumped and almost swerved into the car next to them, scaring both Brian and Howie out of their wits.

“Sorry,” Brian mumbled to the driver.

Howie sighed and rolled his eyes. “Brian, this is supposed to be a happy time. We’re on our 20th anniversary and we’re going back on tour. Don’t let Nick’s childness ruin it. He’ll come around, eventually.”

“You sound like Leighanne, Howie.” Brian snorted as the taxi turned off the freeway. “She said the same thing when he left.”

Howie smiled and said, “Well, she’s a smart woman. Good thing you married her than, Brian.”

Brian snorted and smiled in return. “I guess so, huh?”

Before Howie could answer, the taxi stopped in front Kevin’s house and the driver said, “Here we are.”

They paid the fair and got their stuff out of the trunk. On their way up the sidewalk, the door flew open and Mason came running down to them.

“Brain, Howie!” He squealed, jumping into Brian’s arms.

“Hey little guy, how are you?” Brian asked as he hugged Mason.

“I’m good. Guess what?” Mason asked brightly.

“What?’ Brian asked as Kevin, Kristen, AJ, and Rochelle, who was pushing Ava in a stroller, came out to see what was taking them so long.

“I’m going to be a big brother!” Mason squealed excitedly, reaching for Howie.

Howie took him and said, “Oh yeah? Are you happy?”

“Yes!!!” Kevin, Kristen, and Mason answered at the same time.

Mason smiled, slid down from Howie’s arms, and ran back inside.

“How are you guys doing?” Rochelle asked as they all followed Mason back inside.

“Good, just a little irritated.” Brian answered.

“Yeah, Brian scared the poor taxi driver and almost caused an accident.” Howie said brightly, like it happened to him all the time.

Kevin and AJ laughed, while Kristen and Rochelle had looks of shock and concern on their faces.

“What! Are you guys okay?” Kristen asked, freaking out.

“Yeah, we’re fine Kristen. No need to freak out. You’re pregnant, remember?” Brian said with a smile.

As AJ, Brian, Howie, Kevin, and AJ got settled in the living room, Kristen said,

“Well, we better be off.”

“Where are you guys going?” Howie asked as Mason came skipping into the living room with his shoes on.

“Kristen and I are taking the kids to the park and then to the movies.” Rochelle said as she readjusted Ava in her stroller.

“Indeed we are. We’re going to have fun and keep the kids out of your hair, for a little while at least.” Kristen said as they headed towards the door.

As soon as the door closed behind them, Kevin asked, “So, what are going to do about this situation that Nick has caused?”

They all looked at each other solemnly.

…..

Nick and Lauren aid in bed a good hour after waking up.

Lauren rolled over to look at Nick and said, “Love, I think it’s time to get out of bed. We can’t lie in bed all day.”

Nick wrapped his arms around Lauren’s waist and said, “Why not? I would love to lie in bed with you all day.”

Lauren kissed him softly and said, “Well, mister, fell free to be lazy, but I have things to do and people to see, so I’m going to go take a shower and get ready.”

As Lauren rolled out of bed and headed to the master bathroom that was attached to the bedroom, Nick watched her naked body move with a smile. The last three months had been the best of his life. He had been able to spend every day with Lauren without the stress and worry of doing things with the boys.

But I really do miss the pleasure of the singing and the fans. Nick thought to himself as he sat up and stretched. He checked his phone for missed calls and messages. Every time he saw one from any of his brothers, his heart ached. Nick really did hate what he did to them, especially since they were due on tour in two weeks.

He had a missed call from each of them in the last hour. I’ll call them when Lauren leaves. Nick thought to himself as he rolled out of bed. As he was searching the closet for something to wear, the bathroom door opened and cinnamon scented steam came rushing out. The next thing he knew, Lauren’s wet, naked body was pressed against his back.

Nick smiled and relaxed against his lover’s body. He heard Lauren sigh against his back.

“You smell so good, baby.” Nick whispered, turning around and embracing her.

Lauren smiled sweetly up at him and said, “Thank you, love. Now you should let me into that closet so I can get dressed.”

Nick kissed her softly and responded, “Of course, my love. I have nowhere to go, so I can wait to get dressed.”

Lauren smiled and gently pushed Nick out of the closet door. As Lauren took her turn finding clothes, Nick sat down on the bed and turned the TV on.

Nick scowled as Lauren came out of the closet with clothes in her arms and said, “Why is there never anything to watch this early in the morning?”

Lauren chuckled at him as she started to get dressed and said, “I don’t know! I don’t work for the Television companies.”

“Ooohhh…” Nick practically squealed as he stopped on a station. “It’s Doctor Who. I love Doctor Who! Thank God for British Television.”

“Oh my God, Nick, you’re such a nerd.” Lauren rolled her eyes at him and smiled.

“I am not!” Nick piped up defensively, eyes still glued to the television like his life depended on it.

“Yes you are, love. But I have to go now, okay?” Lauren teased as she put on a light jacket that matched her outfit.

Those words got Nick’s eyes off of the TV. When he looked at her, his heart skipped a beat with how beautiful she was.

“You look absolutely beautiful.” Nick confessed, finally speaking after about thirty seconds of just staring at her.

“Thank you, love.” Lauren said. “Now, are you going to come hug me before I leave, or are you going to just sit there, looking at me?”

Nick smiled, got up, and quickly strode over to his girl. He took her into his arms, and just took it all in. He never wanted to let Lauren go again.

As they pulled apart, Lauren kissed his cheek and said, “I’ll see you later, handsome.”

When she left the room, Nick finally started to pick out clothes. As he got into the shower, he finally decided that he was going to call one of the boys back when he got out.

I’ll call Howie. Nick thought to as he washed his hair. He’ll be less harsh than Brian or Kevin and I don’t know if I could talk to AJ just yet.

When he finally got out, he dried off and got dressed quickly. He wanted to make the call to Howie before he lost his nerve and chickened out. As he left the bathroom, his phone started to ring. He walked slowly over to it, terrified at who it might be. He sighed with relief. It was only Lauren.

“Hey love, what’s up?’ Nick answered the relief heavy in his voice.

“Hey, babe.” Lauren’s voice came through the phone a little breathless. “I think these plans are going to take a little longer than I originally thought, so I won’t be home until late tonight.”

Nick’s heart dropped and his disappointment showed in his voice when he said, “Okay love, I’ll see you when you get home.”

“Don’t be sad, Nick.” Lauren said, still breathless as though she were running or riding a bike. “I won’t be gone forever, I promise.”

After she hung up, Nick sighed and flopped on the bed, phone still in hand. He stared at it for a few moments, still debating whether or not to call Howie. Nick knew that both Howie and Brian were here in Los Angeles, getting ready for the tour. He also knew that he should be there with them.

Nick closed his eyes and thought hard about what he wanted to do, about how he really felt about being away from the boys this long without any type of contact.

He finally opened his eyes and dialed Howie’s number, praying he would answer. He finally picked up after the fifth ring.

“It’s about time you called back.” Howie said, a tiny bit of kindness in his voice.

“Yeah, I know. I’m sorry, I’ve really missed you guys and I need you.”

…..