- Text Size +
Chapter 30 – Spiteful Rewards

"What the HELL is that kid doing?! Why is he throwing all the damn plays! Does he realize we're LOSING! We never loose!" Coach Hanson burst from the benches, throwing his Tartan hat to the ground. He furiously stomped on it as Brian purposely fumbled, allowing North to take control of the ball. It was close to the end of the game and Tartan was just struggling to stay afloat. Oriana had done her best to develop the cunning plays to divert North's attention, but Brian made sure to foul every play. Otherwise, Oriana's plays would have been absolutely beautiful, offering yet another shut out. But, now, Tartan would have to face their first loss of the season.

"I am so sorry, Coach," Oriana whispered in horror, watching Brian fumble to tackle a North player. In turn, the North player dashed down the field, hurriedly slamming into a touchdown. Oriana groaned as Coach blurted a flurry of curses. Oriana looked down in shame, shaking her head. "Coach, damn, I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault, Riley. Not your fault at all! That damn Richardson is throwing this game and he will get benched for this!" Coach ranted, pulling on his fiery red hair as more and more plays were being blown by Brian. "That's it! TIME OUT!"

Oriana winced as the crowd erupted in a hiss of boos while Tartan did their best to drag themselves in. Brian looked almost too pleased with himself, practically skipping to the benches. Oriana immediately jumped up, moving to stand next to Coach Hanson. She didn't want the team to erupt against her. She would save that till the end of the game. She did her best to busy herself, flipping through her binder of plays with one hand.

"COACH, WE'RE DEAD! THERE'S NO WAY TO FUCKING RECOVER THIS SHIT!" Ace roared as he chucked his helmet into the benches, causing a tray of drinks to tip over. His cheeks were flushed with heat and smudged with dirt as he glared to Oriana.

"Don't even think about blaming Riley for this and you will not yell at me like that!" Coach ordered, yanking Ace towards the group by his jersey. "And you won't blame Riley for this, because her plays should have us shutting out North right now!"

"Coach—"

"Richardson! What the Hell are you doing out there?! You're throwing all the plays when they should work like clockwork! May I remind you that the only reason you got Riley's position is because of her injury? I could easily bench you for the rest of the season if you keep playing shitty!" Coach interrupted, rounding on Brian.

"I'm not throwing anything," Brian defended, puffing out his chest with denial. "Riley's plays just aren't cutting it!"

"They cut it at all the other games, and may I mention the one where you still played at Williams! Now get your head out of your ass, or you're benched! End of story!" Coach reached over and smacked Brian upside the helmet. "Do you hear me?!"

"Yes, Coach," Brian gritted, slightly thankful he still kept his helmet on.

"You blow one more play—"

"I get the point!"

"Guys... I think I got a play," Oriana announced quietly, obviously reverting into her shy nature. She didn't want the boys to hate her forever, so she kept a soft spoken voice. She glanced down to her book as everyone silenced for a moment. "I mean, I know we're not going to win. But we can get our dignity back, right?"

"What do you have, Ori?" Luke asked, standing by Oriana.

"Just what we've done before with Williams and they never saw it coming..." Oriana trailed, having Luke hold up the play book for her. She hurriedly pointed out the play to the others, making sure to hold their attention briefly. "24's their fastest runner, so they're obviously going to send 24 in for a quick score. And they'll send their biggest and baddest into protect him. So, do our bulldozer again with Luke behind them. Plow through and hit 24 low, he'll fling the football upward, Luke can catch it and run like Hell..."

"I think we can do it as long as Richardson doesn't fuck it up again," Gabe growled, glaring over at Brian.

"I haven't been fucking anything—"

"What do you call the play, Ori?" Luke interrupted.

"Luke Run Like Hell And Save Our Asses?" Oriana questioned with a shy smile, causing the others to actually laugh.

"Sounds like a good call. Everybody know what we're supposed to do?!"

There was a chorus of agreement.

"Alright, let's do it!"

"Don't fuck up!" Ace hissed, slamming on Brian's chest before hurrying out to the field with the others.

"Fuck you," Brian muttered, hurrying to follow.

"Coach, no offense, but this is the last play of the day. If something happens and things get screwed up... Do I have permission to rush out? Because, I don't want to be underneath that bashing..." Oriana murmured softly as she sat next to the coach, watching the plays being called. Her heart started to hammer within her chest, fearing Brian's next moves.

"I would recommend that, because I will be chewing out Richardson's ass until my face turns blue if things get screwed up," Coach replied, placing a hand on Oriana's shoulder. "Your plays were great, Riley. It's just that someone decided to not go by them."

"Nah, my plays weren't that good. We should have let you call the shots. I wasn't made to be a Junior Coach, Coach," Oriana tried to joke.

"Oh, stop being modest. We won every game before that with them," Coach chuckled a little, tugging on one of Oriana's braids. "You're a great Junior Coach."

"Yeah, well, I learned from the best Coach, you know, Mrs. Coach," Oriana teased faintly, feeling proud that Coach Hanson gave her the compliments that he did. It gave her a sense of pride, because she had seen Coach Hanson as a father-figure for so long.

"Yeah, you're— God, start praying, Riley. The ball is about to be snapped."

"Somehow I think God got boosted out of this awhile ago..." Oriana sighed, watching the ball immediately sail back to number 24 just as Oriana had predicted. She then watched Luke and some others form into her play, hurrying down to crash into the group protecting 24. The football hurled upward and Luke went to grab it, but Brian hurriedly bashed right into Luke, causing both to stumble to the ground. Another from North stumbled to grasp the ball, immediately pitching backward. Another touchdown for North — Tartan had been destroyed. "Damnit," Oriana cursed.

"RICHARDSON! DAMNIT, I TOLD YOU NOT TO SCREW UP THIS PLAY! YOU'RE BENCHED! DONE! YOU'RE NOT PLAYING ANOTHER GAME FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON!" Coach Hanson roared, kicking the other tray of drinks. The time ticked down to seconds and before they knew it, the game was over. Tartan had been crushed by North for the first time in school history. "EVERYONE GET YOUR DAMN ASSES IN HERE NOW!"

"Coach, I'm bucking out, okay?" Oriana whispered, immediately jumping to her feet.

Coach Hanson waved a hand to Oriana and continued to yell at Brian as the team staggered towards the sideline. "THAT WAS THE MOST BLATENT ATTEMPT TO BLOW A GAME THAT I'VE EVER SEEN! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU, BOY?!"

"GET THE FUCK OFF MY BACK!" Brian roared back, causing Oriana to jump. Coach Hanson boiled with a thick anger, immediately peeling various curses toward Brian and the rest of the team.

"I am so out of here," she breathed, immediately racing up the bleachers. Most everyone from Tartan had already left, leaving a staggering few within the stands. The band just stood shocked as Oriana hurried upward. She couldn't handle the guys blaming her for the massive defeat. She felt so guilty for breaking her arm and causing the first loss in Tartan history.

"Ori! Wait!" Luke's voice called for her. She pretended not to hear and continued her climb up the bleachers.

"RILEY! STOP YOUR ASS FROM MOVING!" Lou shouted, laughing a little. "We want to ask you something!"

"Oh, Lord, I'm going to get dog-piled and break another arm," Oriana wheezed, hurrying faster toward the band area. She noticed Teagan coming towards her, unable to decide if she would block her escape or not. "Check you at the house, Gabby!"

"Duckie, wait! The team isn't going to hurt you!" Teagan replied, running after Oriana. "They stopped me before the game and they're not mad at you!"

"Did you not just see that huge defeat? Man, they're going to be out for my blood..." Oriana trailed as Teagan finally managed to stop her. She turned in a circle, trying to find Alex and Howie. She paused for a moment, finding Howie and Alex huddled by a group of giggling girls. Oriana's face drew blank, watching as a girl laid her hand on Howie's shoulder while leaning into him. "Gabbers... Um... Tell me what this feeling is... It's like sickness mixed with anger and betrayal...and sadness... But definitely a lot of anger..."

"Jealousy?"

"Is that what it is?"

"Yeah..." Teagan looked over towards Howie and Alex and immediately groaned. "Duckie, those girls are hollow plastics and Howie can see that. He just doesn't want to be mean to anyone, you know that."

"Yeah, he sure doesn't want to be mean..." Oriana trailed sadly, watching Howie release a hearty laugh from one of the girls' jokes.

"Duckie, stop it! He loves you and would never hurt you!"

"Yeah, I know—"

"FINALLY!" Luke cried, throwing his arms around Oriana from behind. She shrieked in surprise as he picked her up into a fierce bear-hug. "We've been trying to catch you for what seems like forever! Where do you get off running like that?"

"I was trying to find Howie and I found him... Then I was trying to get away from my bloodshed. I am so sorry about the game, Luke. I can't believe my plays went to shit so fast. I should have done something. I shouldn't have broken my arm. I'm just so sor—"

"Okay, you can stop that apology right now. You didn't make shitty plays, they were brilliant! Richardson fucked them all up because he's so full of himself just because he got your position when it was out of default," Luke interrupted, clamping a hand over her mouth. "None of this was your fault. And if you disagree, you're going into the mud. Alright?"

"Okay," she squeaked.

"Good," he kissed her cheek before setting her down. "You're coming to the club with us tonight, right?"

"Club?" Oriana drawled in confusion, furling her brows together.

"The club. You know, dancing? What we always do after games?"

"Oh!" Oriana's blue-green eyes lit with an intense excitement, causing Luke and Lou to chuckle. She immediately hugged Luke fiercely as he picked her up into a bear hug again. "You and me dancing! Dude, can we check out The Ice House? I heard the have a lot of salsa mixes! I'm dying for some salsa remixes along with the usual! Please?!"

"Anything you want, Ori. The night is ours to forget this rotten game!" Luke laughed, spinning them in a tight circle. "The Ice House it is!"

"I freaking love The Ice House! We better leave Dee at home because I'll be dancing with you ALL night!" she squealed with excitement, eagerly kissing Luke's sweaty cheeks. She seemed to forget all about Howie for that moment, energized just by the thought of dancing with the football gang.

"Dee and Ella have this big project due in English, so they won't be able to come," Luke replied, finally setting her down on the ground. "Meet you there in about an hour?"

"Definitely, enough time for me to go throw sweat-pants... Um a really hot pair of capris and a tight tank top on?" Oriana changed, noticing the look in Luke's eyes.

"Good," Luke kissed her cheek and turned to Teagan. "You and the band are invited too, like always."

"Yeah, we'll be there, if Oriana actually lets Howie go," Teagan laughed.

"Why would Howie care, he's got his groupies to entertain him tonight," Oriana groaned.

"Duckie!" Teagan scolded. "Stop talking like that, I mean it!"

"Sorry," Oriana winced, recoiling from Teagan's scolding. She glanced to Luke, shrugging her shoulders. "I'll see if he wants to come."

"Alright, cool. See you ladies in an hour!" Luke and the team ran off to the locker room, each of them swatting Oriana's behind as they left.

"So, you're going to get all pretty for us tonight, Duck--"

"TEAGAN! TEAGAN, GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE!" Brian's voice yelled from the field.

"Excuse me, my boyfriend bellows," Teagan grunted in disbelief, obviously not looking forward to this. She had watched the entire game and was absolutely hysterical. She couldn't believe that Brian had been so callous with Oriana's plays. It was just petty.

"Don't hate him too much," Oriana sighed, gently hugging Teagan. "I'll see you at the house and we'll go to the club together?"

"Yep, I'll be there... Brian may come back with just a severe limp for ruining our record," Teagan agreed, kissing Oriana's cheek before heading down the bleachers.

"TEAGAN!"

"I'm coming, damn!"

"Damn," Oriana groaned simultaneously for her best friend, watching Brian immediately release a tight string of hysterics for her. Not wanting to see the damage, Oriana turned to see Alex returning with a fistful of numbers. "Oh, Lord, Doctor Mambo strikes again."

"Hell yeah! The girls here are much nicer than the ones at William's. Howie's trying to get the plastics off him, so don't be jealous."

"I am—"

"Yeah, that's like saying Brian didn't screw up the plays on purpose."

"Are you looking to walk home tonight?" Oriana threatened, pulling her keys from Alex's pocket. She struggled to hide the crimson coloring of her cheeks, just wanting to hear Howie's opinion on hating the girls. "Because I have no qualms about leaving your ass here and not inviting you to the Ice Box."

"Okay, I’ll be quiet. Just let me come to the Ice Box," Alex whimpered.

"Yeah, that's what I thought. Will you get your gear so we can leave? Luke wants me to dress up and meet at the Ice Box in an hour. So, let's go!"

"Going!" Alex replied, running back to the bleachers as Howie was coming towards Oriana. He looked rather annoyed as the girls back where he was shouted good-byes.

"I hate plastics," Howie groaned, resting his head on her shoulder.

"You looked quite entertained for the time being," she drawled, doing her best not to sound too jealous. She had never experienced such a test of emotional endurance. She swallowed the rest of her bitter words, just reaching to run her fingers through Howie's curls. She felt a small twinge of delight run through her system as the girls scowled at her.

"I only looked entertained so they would finally let me leave. All they talk about if how the uniform makes them look fat, or the hats make their hair all messed up. Then they try to tell me jokes and... I'm too nice when it comes to talking to people and it always ends up with the plastics talking my ear off," Howie sighed heavily, closing his eyes for a moment as he felt Oriana's fingers in his hair. "What did the team talk to you about before you came over here?"

"Before or after they wanted to slaughter me for the horrible game?" Oriana mused, still feeling quite guilty. The entire school would feel the impact of the defeat come Monday. She had no doubt that rumors would fly about her, yet again.

"Why would they slaughter you? Brian screwed up all the plays. It wasn't your fault we lost—"

"Yeah, right," Oriana murmured, kicking the ground with her favorite Adidas sneakers. She glanced up for a moment, noticing Alex get caught with yet another group of girls. She had to smile; Alex was definitely right, he had something that the girls at Tartan loved. She could only hope that the girls always latching on to Howie would fall into Alex's clutches. Trying to brush those thoughts away, she continued to run her fingers through Howie's sweaty curls. "I liked your solo tonight..."

Howie glanced up into her eyes with a faint blush on his cheeks. "You did? All I could hear was sour notes and off beat—"

"Oh, please, I've listened to enough of the band to know what a trumpet solo's supposed to sound like. You were perfect," Oriana immediately chided, pulling away from him.

"Well... thank you. I still think your plays were awesome. We would have killed North if only Brian had pulled his head out of his ass and not screw it up."

"My plays were weak. The other team spotted them a mile off. I didn't need Brian to prove that they weren't high quality," Oriana sighed as Howie plucked the red binder from her hands and slipped it into his backpack for her.

"If they weren't good, I don't think Coach Hanson would have used them through the whole game," Howie disagreed with a click of his tongue.
"Are you going to insist on arguing with me till you get me to claim my plays kick ass?" Oriana wondered with a tired smile.

"Yes, m'am," Howie replied, wrapping his arm around her waist.

"Figured," Oriana groaned, allowing him to draw her next to his side. She swallowed another bout of anger as the girls passed by Howie, offering giggles of a seductive quality. Each reached out to run their hands down the length of his arm as they passed, alerting Oriana that they were still on the prowl. She tensed dramatically, almost willing God to strike them dead. "I don't think they like the fact that you decided on a completely backward girlfriend instead of a high-quality girl like them..."

"You think they're high-quality? Baby, they're more fake than a Barbie doll and twice as dumb," Howie dismissed the thought with the wave of his hand. "I'm with you because everything about you is pure and beautiful."

"Yeah, I guess," she sighed softly, shifting her attention to see Alex acquiring yet another batch of numbers. She rolled her eyes, knowing Alex would indeed have a fun time at the club tonight. "So, what am I doing with you, Mr. Dorough? Dropping you off at home?"

"Nah, I don't feel like going home," Howie made a face. "What are your plans?"

"Just going out with the guys," she replied casually, figuring Howie wouldn't be too interested. It was just a simple dancing club with a few from the football team to shake off the defeat. Nothing extravagant, but some might disapprove because of her cast.

"Oh. Is this one of those 'team only' kind of things?"

"No, whoever wants to come is fine."

"So, I would be allowed to come along?"

"Well, yeah, of course, but you don't even know what we're doing," she laughed, resting her head against his shoulder. She was starting to feel the familiar ache of the broken bone, knowing she would need to dose up on a pain killer before leaving for the club. "You would be walking into a Satanic Worshipping for all you know."

"Somehow I doubt you all are Satan Worshippers," he chuckled, kissing the top of her head. "Then again... dressed all in black, the human sacrifice... it would definitely be a learning experience—"

"We just might make you the human sacrifice if you're not careful," she threatened.

"Alright, alright, I get the hint."

"Mmmm, I don't think you do," Oriana laughed, turning to offer the sweetest kiss to the flesh of his throat.

"W-Well, how is one chosen to be the sacrifice?" Howie stuttered, feeling his body flush at the simple note of affection.

"I can't share that secret," she replied with an unusually seductive smile that caused Howie a familiar ache of wanting.

"Why not?"

"Because, then I'd have to kill you before we could make love during the human sacrifice," she teased quietly.

"Oh... yeah, I don't feel like dying before we were able to make love," he smiled, pulling her lips to his for a soft kiss.

"You're something else," Oriana murmured against his lips, unable to keep from laughing. Something about the conversation felt so right in her heart, even if her brain condemned such actions. She quickly offered another kiss before pulling away while retrieve her lanyard of keys. "We've got to get going. I've got an hour before I have to meet them."

"Can I come along?" Howie asked, keeping her close to his side.

"Would you like to know what we're doing before you eagerly offer your services?"

"As long as it's not human sacrifices, I'm in."

"So, if we decided to go jump out of an airplane, you'd join in?"

"I've always wanted to try it."

Oriana's blue-green eyes grew wide in shock as she immediately turned, causing him to run into her. She stumbled just a little, but he quickly caught her by the waist to stabilize them both. She laughed softly, immediately reaching out to brush her fingers down his cheek. "You know what, you meet us at the airplane, and I'll just boogie on down to the Ice House."

"The Ice House?"

"Don't you check out any of the older teenage clubs in town?" Oriana questioned, furling her light blonde brows. Her and Teagan were always popping in and out of clubs during the growth into their teenage years. Then, when Oriana hit high school, every Friday night was considered a club night with the football team, good football game or bad football game.

"Depends on what side of town you're talking about. Alex and I usually go to Tabu or Thunder," Howie shrugged with a good-natured smile.

"You should have just went to William's," Oriana groaned playfully, realizing those clubs were attentively the only clubs she refused to attend because of the William's population.

"I can't help that my best friend used to go there," Howie laughed.

"You're telling me that in all those years that you liked me, you never figured out that I was always hanging at those clubs, and never figured that you would go there just to scope out the competition?" she teased, playing off an arrogance that one never associated with Oriana.

"Are you comparing me to a common stalker?" Howie gasped.

"You've really never been to any of those clubs?"

"Never."

"Well, would you like to go to one tonight? The Ice House just opened up a few weeks ago, pretty popular with the football team. Killer beats and they always have salsa mixes on Friday nights. Luke and I freaking love the salsa mixes, gives us chances to practice what Maggie's always telling us."

"I'd love to go. Maybe if I can rip you away from Luke for a few minutes, you could show me some of those salsa steps," Howie agreed as they reached the Hummer.

"Why? Think you could teach me a few moves?" she mused as Alex came running with his equipment and another batch of phone numbers. He pretended to leap into the back of the car as if escaping a huge explosion.

"Maybe," he kissed her deeply. "Maybe not. We'll just have to see."

"I think I love you," she whispered softly as he turned to get into the passenger side.

"What did you say, Ria?"

"Nothing..." she quickly murmured, loosing all nerve to actually admit it aloud. She hurriedly fumbled to open the large door, finally climbing inside the massive vehicle. Her cheeks flushed a sharp crimson color, knowing that she had stepped over the boundaries. She couldn't tell him that she loved him.

"Are you—"

"CHICKS! DUDE! CHICKS!" Alex interrupted from the backseat, greedily rustling through all the lists of numbers.

"You're pathetic," Oriana groaned, watching some of the papers flutter to the floor of her Hummer. "You're nothing but a common Gigilo!"

"I can't help that girls like my charm!”

"Yeah, well, Mr. Snake Charmer, maybe you can find one of these girls to take you."

"Can't you?" he whined.

"I might be late for my Luke," Oriana laughed.

"You're not going?" Alex asked Howie.

"I never said I wasn't—"

"Then why are you going to let her go just to dance with Luke?" Alex fired with a hint of protectiveness. He only wanted to see his sister with Howie. The idea of Oriana dancing with Luke and their already tight friendship only seemed to shoot warning lights through Alex's skull.

"Stop before you even start. I'm going to the Ice House and I don't have any problem with her and Luke dancing," Howie replied, rolling his eyes.

"Well, you freaking should!" Alex hissed, noticing Oriana focusing on driving, seeming to space out from the entire conversation. "You don't want her to get all hot and heavy with Luke at some club, grinding on him, do you?"

"They're best friends! Jeez, Alex, calm down. Luke has Dee and Oriana has me. It's not like they're going to start an affair or something."

"You're telling me you're not going to be jealous when she's down Mack'ing it hardcore with Luke, grinding on him for all she's worth?"

"No, because it's dancing and nothing more. Out of all the players on the team, I trust Luke the most."

"But—" Alex swallowed hard as Howie gave him a short glare. He shrunk back a little like a chastised child. "Sorry, D. I just... I know that you're really good for her... And I don't want you two loosing each other you know? We're already having a hard enough time with Brian..."

"I know," Howie sighed heavily. "But there's one thing I know for sure, and that's I don't have to worry when it comes to Luke and Oriana. Alright, man?"

"Okay..."

"So, you coming to the Ice House with us?"

"Yeah, a lot of the girls said that's where they're heading tonight," Alex replied, glancing at all the numbers in his hands.

"Who gave you numbers?" Howie asked curiously.

"Lacey, Paige, Joanne, Linda, Cindy..."

"Want the ones I got?" Howie groaned, reaching into his pocket to withdraw some numbers.

"Dude! I'll pay you fifty bucks!" Alex exclaimed with excitement.

"You got numbers?" Oriana groaned in disbelief, finally paying attention to the conversation. She finally understood why it hurt Howie so much to have the football players constantly comment on Mac. Damnit, Howie was her boyfriend, not their piece of meat.

"I told them I had a girlfriend and they insisted on giving them to me anyway," Howie made a face as he threw the pieces of paper back to Alex. "I guess being made out of plastic makes you deaf as well as dumb."

"Did you tell them that this girlfriend knows how to play football and has no problem throwing them into the mud when they're wearing Prada?" Oriana gritted, unable to hide her jealousy.

"No... but I will definitely mention that next time.”