- Text Size +
Chapter 20 – Madness of Romance

“Evie, if you come at me with one more runway pose of possible date-wear, I think I might be forced to smother you with Jillian’s burp-rag,” Keveney announced dryly, wrinkling her nose in distaste as another garment was flung to the hotel bed. Obviously, Keveney thought that Stevie’s flurry of excited panic over a simple outfit was outrageous. The older sister had been rambling nonstop since Brian’s sweet offer at a date, constantly asking Keveney’s opinion of various fashion choices. Only, Keveney had no view point over any type of style. She wore whatever was comfortable, not really caring if it was cute, shapely, or if it even matched. But, that was the difference between the two women. Stevie wanted perfection for the evening, because what she felt for Brian was real. She didn’t want the casual fling that usually occurred between her and various men around Orlando. She wanted true love and could only hope it would entice Keveney to think about Howie in another beautiful light.

“Smother me with a burp-rag? Attractive, Kevie, real attractive,” Stevie returned, smoothing the pale pink baja sundress along her curved figure for a perfect fit. She stared intensely into the mirror at her reflection, deciding it was absolutely perfect to make Brian drool. The dress straps wrapped around her sleek neck for a halter style and attached to the v-neck drop of the neckline which was notched with a beautiful detailing. The soft fabric then wrapped around her body and ended with a whispered hem just above her knees. She looked like a true bohemian beauty with her glossy brown locks gelled into a sexy mess. Smiling, she glanced briefly to her little sister for final approval only to notice the deep frown. Stevie laughed, however, it was so rare to see that specific emotion plastered on Keveney’s face. If anything, the woman was always laughing hysterically at her foolishness. “Are you jealous?”

“No, I’m not jealous,” Keveney snorted, hearing Jillian grunt for attention. She glanced down to see Jillian holding out her arms from her perch on the soft hotel carpet. Immediately complying, Jillian was scooped and cuddled against Keveney’s chest with several quick kisses to elicit happy coos. Jillian babbled against Keveney’s shoulder, tilting to suck occasionally on her warm bottle. Since Howie and AJ had gone out early that evening, Keveney had the opportunity to baby-sit both Stevie and Jillian.

“So, you’re really happy for me?”

“Of course, Evie,” Keveney instantly answered, allowing Jillian to settle against her lap. Sweetly, she smoothed Jillian’s glossy curls while smiling at her sister. She couldn’t have been more excited when Stevie exploded about her dating prospect, but acting otherwise was so much more fun. “You deserve a love life.”

“Should I take that as an insult?”

“If you want—”

“Keveney!”

“Sorry,” Keveney laughed, shifting to hold Jillian to her chest as she stood from the large bed. Whenever drinking warm milk, Jillian always tired easily. So, Keveney swayed softly as she hummed into Jillian’s ear and it took only a few moments for Jillian to fall into a beautiful slumber. And, Stevie was quick to admire the moment for what it was. It seemed so natural for Keveney to hold Jillian against her chest, just swaying slowly with a soft lullaby vibrating from her lips to Jillian’s tiny ear, causing a tiny smile to spread across Jillian’s puckered lips.

“You’ve got a way with kids, Kevie,” Stevie announced into the quiet room, causing Keveney to drawl away from the perfect moment. She then watched Keveney gently ease Jillian into the opposite hotel bed, covering her with a beautiful multi-colored crochet baby blanket crafted by Howie’s mother. She made sure that the blanket was away from the child’s face and wrapped tightly around Jillian’s body for a snuggled comfort. She then bent to place a gentle kiss against Jillian’s forehead, causing Stevie to smile with approval. Keveney had always been nurturing to their younger siblings.

“And you’ve got a way with men,” Keveney admitted ruefully, glancing back to her sister. Her light violet eyes flickered with adoration for her older sister, obviously slightly envious of Stevie’s flirtatious abilities. “Bri really likes you.”

“You think?!”

“I know.”

“Really?”

“Yes, he’s been on the phone nonstop since you said yes.”

“You know what I know? Since you’re finally being sweet?”

“What?”

“That you have a way with Howie and all the guys you come in contact with. You have a way of oblivious flirting. You have such a sexual aggression that causes boys to drool; only you act like everyone’s your best buddy. But Howie wants more! If you would just take a step to him, we’d be bickering about what you should be wearing for a seriously steamy date.”

“You’re wrong.”

“Huh? About?”

“I wasn’t being sweet,” Keveney answered lightly, knowing exactly how to throw Stevie off her love life. She hated when they got into these heated debates about who Keveney should date. If anything, Keveney was more concerned about her career goals, even if she was desperately in love with Howie. For now, she was happy being in denial.

“Really?” Stevie snorted

“Yeah, I was just trying to soften the blow when I suggested that some outfits are better left on the hanger...”

“You…” Stevie whirled back to the mirror with a frown, giving Keveney the perfect chance to escape without any further debate on her love life. Immediately, Stevie’s mind started to rumble in a flurry of panic, unable to believe that Keveney could be so calculated and evil. She thought she had looked so perfect, but Keveney planted a seed of doubt. And, Stevie didn’t have the self-esteem to doubt her adorable little sister’s cruel intentions. “Damnit, Keveney Marie!”

*~*~*


“I could strangle Brian,” Howie seethed quietly when Brian had escorted Stevie for an evening of whimsical romance. He just watched with complete dismay as the door closed behind a round of laughter and giggles, actually causing Goosebumps of aggravation to prickle against his warm skin. It wasn’t that he was actually furious with Brian and developed some sort of twisted love triangle, but frustrated with his own insecurities relating to Keveney. Brian had only known Stevie for about two days and already had taken the initiative to ask her out to dinner. Howie had known Keveney for longer than six agonizing months; still, he hadn’t the courage to even press a kiss to her gentle hand. Although, Howie had managed to convince himself that his cowardice was appropriate, because Keveney was far too precious to him. He wanted no mistakes when he worked in the perfect and most enchanting kiss. Still, he envied Brian’s fearlessness. “Damnit, Brian!”

“Jillian’s down for the night. So, we’ve got many hours to struggle with how very much in love Brian and Stevie are going to fall. But, those hours of agony together cannot possibly compare to the disgust and turmoil to follow in the earning hours of next morning. Do you realize that I share a room with that wild woman? So, I’ll know whether or not she finally got that sex-thing out of her system. Because, if she doesn’t come home…” Keveney did a full body shudder as she exited from Howie’s bedroom where she had just laid Jillian to rest. She seemed completely oblivious to Howie’s ranting, more obsessed with her own ideas about Stevie’s steamy date. “But if she does come home… There’s a damn good chance that Brian will be following her into the bedroom for some nasty tainting of Bible laws… And, I doubt that I want to figure out whether that rumor about a butt tattoo is true or not... It might just escalate that good old fashioned sibling rivalry that I’ve been perfecting over the years!”

“Rivalry?” Howie was quick to reply. “Why?”

“Because I was invited on this tour first! I should have gotten first dibs on you boys. I should have been able to pick out which man I wanted to establish a torrent love affair with during this six month tour! Instead, she saunters her way onto a tour bus to first catch AJ’s attention and then Brian’s attention! There are two boys totally taken away from my pool of prince charming’s! It’s not like there’s a box anywhere that I can pour milk on and one instantly pops up!”

“Is that your way of saying that you were hoping to score a date with Brian?” Howie immediately questioned with a tight smile, trying to be as aloof as physically possible. Although, inside, it felt like a hideous ulcer was chewing through his entire abdomen with deadly speed. The very thought of her being interested in another man, let alone one of his good friends, was excruciating.

“Nah, he’s too perfect in my eyes…” Keveney trailed, making a face. “The original Bible Thumper… Or maybe I over-project a portion of his character in attempts to make him un-datable because my sister is infatuated with him…”

“So, you really do have an interest in him?”

“Hell no,” Keveney laughed, “If my sister likes him, then he’s obviously not my type of man. My sister and I have never had similar tastes in men. Such a tragic flaw, huh? Makes dating twice as hard, because I just can’t take her leftovers…”

“Extremely,” Howie trailed, arching his dark brows with a curious interest. He now began to wonder if she had eyes for anyone else on the tour. And if they had fallen onto the topic, it was easy enough to continue without seeming too jealous about her choices. “What about Nick?”

“Too cute.”

“Kevin?”

“Too damn old!”

“AJ?”

Keveney eyes widened as if Howie told her she had some fatal disease. “Please! He gets more ass than a toilet seat!”

“Then what do you like?” Howie laughed with relief.

“Not a walking STD, that’s for sure—”

“Keveney!”

“Sorry…” Keveney giggled, leaning back on the couch to study Howie’s profile. She reflected on her wants for a moment, analyzing Howie’s handsome features with a bemused smile. Instantly, the man of her dreams reflected back in her beautiful violet eyes. “Someone completely opposite of me, that’s for sure. Like, he can be quiet, reserved, and serious, but know exactly how to get loud and crazy to compliment me. I want someone to be my rock and always willing to hold me. He’s not afraid of cuddling me no matter who’s around or showing that he loves me like no one else. Someone like—”

“Me?”

Keveney offered a warm smile of surprise as Jillian whined from the bedroom for attention. She stood to kiss his forehead, knowing that Jillian always had the perfect timing when it came to interrupting Keveney and Howie’s intimate moments. “You’re absolutely perfect for me, Howie. Why else would I be willing to wait five years for all my voodoo dolls to work their evil charms on your girlfriends?”

*~*~*


“My God, you didn’t have to shell out all this money for our first date, Brian. Kevie and I were just kidding about the whole All I Have to Give… Okay, so I really do want spoiled rotten by the love of my life, but I didn’t expect you to pull out all the stops right away!” Stevie exclaimed, taking Brian’s hand as he helped her into the already bubbling Jacuzzi. She thought that her eyeballs were going to become sunburned because they had maintained a widened state since the date had started. Brian had rented an expensive yacht just for the evening. No one but the crew was allowed onto the yacht to dote upon the new couple during their romantic evening. They had spent the gorgeous sunset walking about the docks with fruity drinks melting against their palms while chatting softly about various topics. Now, Brian wanted them to stare at the beautifully starlit sky in the top deck’s large Jacuzzi.

“So, I am the love of your life?” Brian mused.

“If you keep playing your cards right…”

“Good. And you’re right, I didn’t have to do it, but I wanted to do it,” Brian explained boldly, allowing Stevie to first submerse in the bubbling liquid before he took his own seat. Instantly, he scooted close to her warm body so they could melt into one another. She looked mesmerizing under the dim lighting. Her red highlighted, brunette locks were glossed back with the water and her reading glasses missing from the bridge of her petite nose, allowing Brian to view her beautiful face without any hindrances. And, the one piece swimsuit with the sides missing to reveal her creamy skin drove Brian insane with a much needed passion. Finally, he was starting to feel all the fervor behind the love songs he sang every night to thousands of devoted fans.

“Well, I’m glad you wanted to.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yes, in fact I think you should do more things that you want to do, instead of things that you have to do. I think that’s the only really crappy thing about working in the limelight. You’re constantly told what to do and when to do it. But, you’re a person just like everyone else. You should have the freedom to do what you want, when you want.”

“Do you know what I want to do right now?”

“What?”

“This,” he murmured, tilting her face within his hands without the slightest warning. His hands were warm despite the cooler winds blowing against the top of the deck and his lips were just as warm. Their hearts instantly melted to compliment the sweetness of the kiss, causing Stevie’s eyes to flutter close with excitement. There was just a sweet tenderness their lips slowly parted, causing Stevie to blush with appreciation.

“Somehow, I didn’t imagine that’s how our first kiss would go,” she whispered, resting her forehead against his with delight.

“Why’s that?”

“Because I wanted to kiss you first,” Stevie explained, moving the deeper passion in their hearts behind their second, third, and forth kisses.