- Text Size +
Chapter 23 – The Perfect First Date

“Hurry, Brian, please!” Stevie begged with annoyance, yanking harder on her boyfriend’s hand to pull him into the slowly opening elevator. She didn’t understand why he was being so obstinate today, though she had cut their date dramatically short when she realized Howie and Keveney were going out in about an hour. She would have been perfectly happy with the date, except Howie had called Brian to ask him to place Keveney in a taxi to send to a specific location. It seemed that Howie had spent the entire day scouting a perfect setting for his first date with Keveney in Virginia, only he was coming up short with original romantic ideas. Going slightly insane because Howie thought he was failing Keveney and Brian was useless in consoling the older man, Stevie stole the cell phone to access the situation. She then promised to go back to the hotel to get Keveney prepared, promising that everything would be perfect.

“This is one of those rare opportunities that Backstreet Boys get when we actually have a day off from a hectic tour schedule. A rare opportunity to have a special entire evening out that you’re always complaining about not having with me,” Brian slightly whined, collapsing back against the elevator as Stevie hurriedly tapped on the button for the top floor’s penthouse. They had only finished dinner and Brian had been quite anxious to spend the rest of the evening alone with her. Their relationship had blossomed like a beautiful rose blooming inside the warmth of spring. But, yet again, Stevie had changed the plans like she was known to do.

“But this will be Kevie’s first date in…forever!”

“Forever? You’re telling me that a twenty one year old woman as beautiful as your little sister hasn’t been out on a date in forever? Forever implying what in your mind, Stevanie Holly? Probably about two weeks in beautiful girl time-zones.”

“First off, Mr. Littrell,” Stevie growled protectively, reaching to yank him upward by the silk tie wrapped around his throat. “Jillian is seven months old and Kevie fell in love with Howie the first time she saw him. So, add those seven months to the two previous years when she was hauling ass through her Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree program at the same time… My sister has been off the market for far more than two measly weeks and I resent that stupid beautiful girl time—”

“I get the point!” Brian squeaked, leaning to brush his lips against hers in hopes to quiet her feisty growl. This couple was as diverse as the opposite ends of the polar ice caps. Stevie was serious and sarcastic compared to Brian’s playful comedy. Yet, it seemed to work well, because whenever fire and water mixed, one would create a passionate steam.

“Are you sure?”

“Do I get to kiss you again?”

“Always.”

“Then, yes, I’m sure,” Brian promised, reaching to pull her against him by the waist. He then quickly brought his hands up to capture her face, enticing several more kisses to her sweet lips before the elevator doors opened. He then released her, knowing full well that she’d be yanking him through the hallways to the penthouse doors. And, she did exactly as he expected while hollering for her little sister.

“Kevie!” Stevie continued to call, hurriedly sliding the keycard into the lock until a green light blinked. She then pushed her entire body into the thick door, stumbling inward to find Keveney holding Jillian as she spoke to Nick and AJ frankly in the living room. She was dressed in a pair of black capris and a light lavender halter top that exposed her delicate body to much of the Backstreet Boys’ delight.

“If you make one more lousy bet on me scoring tonight with Howie, I’ll be forced to—”

“DROP THAT BABY!” Stevie hollered, bursting into the living room with her fingers folded into two accusing pointers.

“But she won’t bounce like that catch phrase says…” Keveney trailed softly in a peculiar surprise, turning to catch her sister’s gaze.

“Keveney,” Stevie groaned with contempt, reaching to pluck Jillian away. She knew her sister far too well and had to work against her to ensure a perfect date for Howie. After all, Keveney never seemed to dress up for important events. She was much happier cruising around in comfortable clothing until the big date occurred, not bothering to change despite whatever she might have been doing previously. Dancing, playing basketball, babysitting, working… It didn’t seem to matter to her what she looked like. But it mattered to Stevie, who had become far too accustomed to the smell of sour milk when Keveney arrived home from a long day of work. “Don’t you smell that nasty odor? Do you really want Howie remembering your first date while he’s changing Jillian’s diaper?”

“Well, it’d be a unique impression—”

KEVENEY!”

“What?” Keveney laughed, “No one will change her but me—”

“Nick will,” Stevie interrupted, causing the tall blonde to glance up from his game system with a raised brow. He looked as if he might object, but Stevie glared sharply toward him with critical blue-gray eyes that actually caused AJ to shiver. Brian had already warned them of her feisty temper and Nick had met with that temper when he broke into Brian’s private bathroom to deliberately flush the toilet while she was showering. “Won’t you, Nick?”

“Yeah, let me go get the stuff,” Nick mumbled, rushing into his bedroom.

“Damn…” Keveney whistled, obviously impressed with her sister’s show.

“Just do me a favor and be on your best behavior tonight,” Stevie returned toward her little sister, holding Jillian outward from her own good clothing as the child babbled happily. “Howie is a great guy and you deserve a great guy. He adores you very much, so—”

“Don’t be myself?” Keveney guessed with a slight smirk.

“Yes!” Stevie returned with excitement, figuring that her sister was agreeing with where her statement would naturally trail. But, after a small moment of question, she furled her dark brows when she realized what Keveney had first said. “God, no! Keveney Marie Moore, I can’t believe that you would think that I wouldn’t—”

“I’m kidding! Jezz, I’ll be you—”

KEVENEY MARIE—”

“Give me the squirt!” Nick interrupted, causing the natural sibling rivalry to fall into heavy snorts of laughter. He had traveled into his bag of toiletries, covering himself tightly in cellophane wrap and then his bright orange rain gear. He wrapped a handkerchief around his mouth and nose, and then shielded his hair with AJ’s expensive cowboy hat. Long rubber gloves were stretched onto his large hands as he completed his look with brightly colored squirt guns. He looked like a clown version of the HazMat (hazardous material) team. But, Nick didn’t find it quite so funny as he threw his hands onto his hips with a growl, “What is so damn funny?!”

*~*~*


“I’m sorry this is such a boring date…” Howie finally confided with a depressing sigh, glancing toward Keveney with shame as they walked down an isolated portion of the moonlit Virginia Beach. He had spent the entire day trying to elaborate a perfectly romantic and imaginative date, but ended up coming out with the barest essentials. It seemed so dreary compared to what Howie imagined the beautiful Keveney’s love life to be. After all, he wanted something to compliment her and, Lord, did she look elegant and gorgeous that evening. She may have been dressed in plain, normal clothing, but Howie imagined her to be a hidden goddess from the first time he laid eyes upon her. The ocean air seemed to agree with Howie’s assessment, playfully blowing through her twirled golden blonde locks until they layered delicately around her heart shaped face. Her light violet eyes glistened with what Howie imagined to be the secretive gems of the ocean deep. And, like usual, Howie really couldn’t keep his eyes from traveling downward. Her curved body seemed to purr seductively underneath the sleek contours of her form fitting lavender top and tight black capris. Her bare feet wading slightly into the shoreline even seemed to beckon to him as perfection.

But, with all the inspiration exploding from the gorgeous woman, nothing creative leapt from his usually romantic heart.

So, with much disappointment, he could only concoct to lay out a candlelit picnic that complimented the soft white glow of the full moon and twinkling stars. After enjoying some of her favorite foods - a royal feast of chilled Pepsi, cold meatloaf sandwiches, macaroni salad, and chocolate dipped cherries for dessert - Howie suggested they take a walk along the beach. He could only hope that something spectacular would happen on the shoreline to make this memorable, but hope was fleeting as they slowly walked next toward one another, not even touching in the slightest manner.

“Dorough, what are you talking about?” Keveney actually laughed, finally glancing toward the unusually somber man beside her. She had actually been having a lovely time with Howie. Each time she glanced into his smoldering eyes, she found herself falling harder in love.

“This date…”

“What about it?”

“It’s so horribly boring.”

“Excuse me?” Keveney slightly choked, feeling her heart practically crack in two at his disdain. “Why would you ask me—”

“No!” Howie blurted in horror, knowing she had taken it in the wrong direction. He shook his head furiously in hopes she would understand. “I didn’t mean you, I mean me planning this disaster.”

“So you think it’s a disaster?”

“No, yes, I…” Howie exhaled a disgusted sigh, turning again to reach to take both of her hands into his. “I just wanted it to be perfect for you. I wanted to sweep you off your feet and make your heart skip beats like mine does every time I look at you…”

“Howie…” Keveney trailed with a curious smile, stopping him in the wet sand so they sunk slightly. Her eyes glistened with a fresh mist of appreciative tears, but she didn’t bother to rub them away. No man had ever treated her with such adoration before, not that she had time to date anyway. She had been waiting for the perfect man. In her heart she actually believed she had been waiting just for Howie. “Let me tell you something. This is the sweetest, most perfect date that I have ever had. I couldn’t imagine a better night or a more romantic night... Especially not with someone I love as much as I love you.”

“I… Really?”

“Don’t tell my sister, but I really dig this romantic junk. Especially when it’s from your heart.”

“So…” Howie trailed with a somewhat shy smile. “…You love me?”

Keveney laughed with amusement, leaning inward to press a gentle kiss to his now grinning lips. “I’ve loved you for the past seven months. I was just waiting for you to make a move. Didn’t Evie tell you that I process flirting like a guy processes flirting?”

“Well, I couldn’t imagine a more perfect way for you to tell me,” Howie disagreed, reaching to wrap his arms tightly around her body. “And, I couldn’t imagine a more perfect way for me to say I love you back.”

“Howie…”

“I love you,” Howie repeated with a warm smile. He felt her shiver with excitement as he pulled her closer to his own body. The waves were finally starting to lap coolly at their feet as moonbeams caressed their bodies, reflecting their love off the ocean waters. And, with the perfect romantic scene set, Howie tipped her chin gently so he could prove his tenderness and adoration with an earth shattering kiss.