- Text Size +
Chapter 28 – Heaven Comes Crashing

“Mama!” Jillian giggled with delight, toddling as fast as she could across the soft grass of the backyard before her father could catch her. Her ever growing curls bounced playfully within her high ponytail as she released shrieks of delight, making sure that her father stayed far enough away from her as she continued to escape. They had been playing in the underground wading pool Howie had installed specifically for Jillian and she wanted her mother. Only, when she had asked for her, Howie started to tickle her mercilessly. So, after wiggling her tiny body free from her father’s hands, she went running in what she hopes would be salvation. Her emerald eyes glittered with sheer delight as she closed in on her mother, who was sitting at the nearby picnic table with her aunts and uncles. They were taking time to celebrate and enjoy Jillian’s first birthday. In fact, most of the fun had just come about watching Jillian play with her new toys and demolish her first birthday cake. Though, Keveney swore that most of the icing had ended up in her ears, nose, and on her face more so than her mouth. She was a beautiful child and a joyful addition to the family. “Mama! ‘Elp!”

“Jillie Bean!” Keveney giggled, scooping up the wet child just as Howie took a spill at her feet. He skidded further than he had intended, practically pushing his body underneath the chair. Both girls shrieked with obvious surprise as they tipped slightly in the chair, but Howie reached to catch the legs before they flipped backward. Keveney blew a huge breath of shock as she stared down at her lover before glancing at her wide-eyed child, shaking her head in disbelief “You and Daddy are trouble makers, Jillian Luz!”

“Des,” Jillian agreed, clapping her hands in triumph as Howie pulled himself up from the usually perfect lawn, though his body had seemed to leave an imprint in that patch of grass. Forever to remain a funny story in their inner circles.

“I thought it was called the terrible twos, not the outrageous ones,” Stevie interjected with a roll of her blue-gray eyes, unable not to laugh at the cuteness of the situation.

“Consider her sources of adulthood,” Kevin chuckled with earnest, removing his hand from Ashley’s in order to motion to Howie and Keveney as they tickled the little girl, blowing raspberries on her small potbelly. The little girl pealed sharp squeals of laughter as she squirmed, never bothering to attempt to get away, because she loved every minute of it. She fit perfectly within her parents’ arms and everyone knew it.

“You’ve got a point…” Stevie trailed with a laugh.

“But you can’t name a sweeter picture!” Ashley instantly chided, smacking her boyfriend’s large shoulder. She was thrilled to have been invited to the small birthday celebration, having no problems taking off work and flying out to Florida. In fact, she had taken several days off in order to spend the week with Kevin, who promised it would be a wonderful vacation. Of course, Ashley didn’t bother to tell him that every moment with him was wonderful, no matter what.

“And she’s got a point,” Brian answered.

“Let’s get out of here before they start squabbling,” Kevin murmured, reaching to grasp Ashley’s hands again to pull her up. Ashley glanced to Stevie and Brian in obvious question before simply shrugging her shoulders, hurrying to meet Kevin’s stride so they could take a dip in the pool.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Brian questioned in bewilderment.

“It means you two argue, constantly,” Keveney emphasized, catching the end portion of the conversation as Howie finally helped situation Keveney and Jillian in the chair. She offered a smile of thanks to her lover, reaching to take his hand into hers for a kiss when he settled in the chair beside her. The giggles slowly died from Jillian as she leaned to select some carrots from Keveney’s plate to nibble on. The bright orange food seemed to attract her as she settled back into Keveney’s arms, offering her one baby carrot before hording the rest for herself.

“We do not argue constantly!” Stevie instantly defended, smacking Brian’s hand away as he motioned to interject. “We are the perfect loving couple.”

“When Brian doesn’t object to the Queen’s rule,” Keveney mused.

“Brian! Tell her she’s lying!”

“Er…” Brian’s color paled as he glared toward Keveney, knowing he was caught. “Thanks a lot, Kevie.”

“And you call Jillie Bean and me trouble makers?” Howie chuckled into his girlfriend’s ear before playfully nibbling on it and kissing it.

“We’re just a family of trouble makers,” Keveney agreed with a shiver of delight.

“A small family of trouble makers.”

“Don’t even start on that.”

“What?” Howie played coy.

“You--”

“Mama, Icky!” Jillian interrupted out of no where, standing on her mother’s lap to pull at her bikini strap. It took only a few moments for the little girl to pull her mother’s attention away from her father. And, when it was all devoted to her, Jillian gestured toward Nick, who was playing aimlessly with one of her new toys. Specifically, it was the soft plastic dolphins that squirted water. As a Floridian child, water and bath toys were always a must for any birthday. Though, Jillian seemed less than pleased that Nick was taking her toys.

“You want one?” Nick asked, catching Jillian’s attention

“Des,” she pouted.

Nick grinned wickedly, squirting a stream of cold water at Jillian. “Here!”

“MAMA!” Jillian shrieked, her lips puckering into a perfect ‘o’ of surprise as she went rigid, squinting her eyes at the splash of coldness.

“Nick!” Keveney instantly scorned, bending to wipe the water away from her daughter’s face. Jillian was less than pleased with Nick’s cruel trick, whimpering as she turned to bury herself into her mother’s arms. Keveney stood to hold and shush the girl’s whimpers, glaring as Nick laughed hysterically over the situation. Howie looked as if he might reach to smack the younger man, but Keveney caught his arm. She offered him a look to tell him that just desserts were in effect. Howie nodded briefly, leaning back in his seat as Keveney snuck a dolphin from the table, perching herself and Jillian behind Nick.

“Ba’, ba’, Icky,” Jillian sniffled.

“Mama will get him back,” Keveney promised softly, holding up the dolphin for Jillian’s view.

“Mama?” Jillian whimpered with question.

“Watch,” Keveney whispered, squeezing the dolphin to make a stream of water hit the small of Stevie’s back, who was still arguing with Brian.

Stevie turned slightly to see Nick continuing to play with the dolphins. Her eyes narrowed as she growled with obvious annoyance. “Nick!”

“What?” Nick questioned in surprise.

“Don’t do that again!” Stevie demanded, returning to her argument.

Jillian clapped her hands over her mouth to smother a giggle, liking what had just happened. “Mama!”

“You do it,” Keveney suggested, giving the dolphin to Jillian.

Squirt.

“Nick!” Stevie yelped.

“What?” Nick responded.

“Knock it off!”

Squirt.

“Nick!”

“What?”

“I’m not playing with you!”

Squirt.

NICK!” Stevie finally exploded, jumping up from her chair. She charged at Nick, though it took him a few minutes to realize that he was in trouble. Once she was just about to reach and grab him, he fell back in his chair, scrambling against the lawn to run. He attempted to stumble to his feet in order to run, but Stevie caught hold of his swimming trunks. And, with a hard yank, she not only gave the young man a wedgie, but tossed him into the deep end of the pool.

“DAMNIT, STEVIE!” Nick heaved when he surfaced, completely baffled. “WHAT’D YOU DO THAT FOR?!”

“I told you to stop squirting me!”

“I didn’t!”

“Who else would have done it?!”


“ALL ME, MAMA!” Jillian giggled hilariously, clapping her hands with joy that she had finally gotten Nick into trouble.

*~*~*


“Guess she had a good birthday, huh?” Howie chuckled softly as he stepped lightly down the stairs and into the living room to find the two favorite women in his life resting on the couch. Both looked exhausted, their eyes simultaneously drooping as they attempted to concentrate on the Disney movie. Though, they were allowed to rest, because after kissing everyone goodbye, Keveney had hurried Jillian upstairs for a bubble bath. Howie had heard Jillian giggling throughout the entire bath, knowing Keveney had been playing some sort of silly game with her. Then, once she was cleaned from the chlorinated pool water and various blades of grass and other earthly materials sticking to her wet body; Keveney had dressed her in the most comfy of pajamas. The two then sprawled out on the couch with the end portion reclined, Jillian lying on Keveney’s stomach as she sucked milk from a sippy cup.

“She had a very good birthday,” Keveney agreed with a sweet smile, running her fingers through Jillian’s slightly damp curls while Howie took a seat beside her. The birthday party had ended a few hours earlier and it had been a wonderful success. Everyone had enjoyed themselves immensely, maybe for the exception of Nick when Jillian got into trouble. But, everyone else had found that entertaining. And, just like they anticipated, Jillian had been spoiled rotten by everyone in the family, but they wouldn’t have had it anyway.

“I’m going to have to build a whole new room to hold all her new toys.”

“I have no doubt about that.”

“I could add you a special room while we’re at it.”

“I don’t need a special room.”

“Because the bedroom is special enough?”

“And here I thought my sister was just joking about the whole ‘Latin Lover’ persona,” Keveney laughed as Jillian shifted in her arms, dropping the sippy cup between her mother and father. She then turned onto her stomach, resting her head on her mother’s chest, obviously listening to the steady beats of her heart.

“What, you didn’t think I was suave?”

“Awkward was more like it…”

“I’ll remember that,” Howie warned as he noticed Jillian’s eyes droop further until they finally closed. He smiled softly as he leaned forward, gently rubbing the toddler’s back as he pressed a few kisses to her cheeks. “Someone’s ready for bed.”

“Yeah, me too,” Keveney murmured, arching her light blonde brows when she caught Howie’s smoldering eyes.

“I love you so much, Kevie,” Howie whispered, leaning forward to kiss her softly.

“Mmm, I love you,” Keveney moaned softly, moistening her bottom lip when they parted slightly. “I’ll put the baby to bed.”

“Alright,” Howie agreed as they both stood. He noticed Jillian’s eyes pop open slightly from the motion. “Goodnight, Sweetheart.”

“Ni-ni,” Jillian yawned.

“Happy birthday, Sweetheart,” Howie cooed, leaning in to give Jillian birthday kisses. Only, she shied away and pressed her face into the crook of Keveney’s neck. Once she was hidden, Jillian furiously shook her head as Howie pulled back in surprise. “No goodnight or birthday kisses for Daddy?”

“No,” Jillian declined, shaking her head.

“Please?”

Jillian shook her head harder.

“Kevie, tell Jillian to give me kisses,” Howie pouted.

“Jillie Bean, kiss Daddy g’night,” Keveney encouraged the little girl, but she gave Keveney the kisses instead. Keveney smothered a laugh as she watched Howie’s face contort into a look of shock at Jillian’s stubborn defiance.

“Jillian Luz…”

“Mama ‘iss.”

“Then I’m going to give Mama birthday and goodnight kisses, too,” Howie warned with a soft laugh, poking his little girl to elicit a tired smile from her. So, he thought he had her approval as he leaned to kiss Keveney, but found Jillian’s small hand pushing on his chest. “Jillian, you said--”

“Mama my,” Jillian insisted, pushing herself up in Keveney’s arms to give her another see. “My Mama. No Dada.”

“You little--”

“Get ready for bed,” Keveney interrupted with a knowing smile, leaning to kiss Howie’s cheek before taking Jillian upstairs.

“I really hope she grows out of that,” Howie sighed with a chuckle, moving throughout the house to make sure that all the lights and appliances were shut off. He could hear the soft sounds of Keveney’s lullaby floating softly throughout the house and he couldn’t wait to curl up close to her. They had been steadily moving her things into his home and it was starting to fit together. Everything seemed so perfect. So perfect in fact that Howie was considering asking Keveney for her hand in marriage. She had been teasing him for so long about that ‘big honking rock’ that he decided it was time to deliver on that promise. He loved her so much.

But, those thoughts became sidetracked when he came back into the living room to find a purple envelop on the threshold of his front entrance. Furrowing his dark brows with confusion, he bent to retrieve and open it. Confusion settled as he pulled out a birthday card, never prepared for the words that lay inside:

Mr. Dorough,
I saw what you did and I want my baby back. You took her from me a year ago and I miss her. If I don’t get her back by the end of the week, then I’m going to the media. I already have a lawyer and we have no problem causing Hell. My number on the bottom. Call it tomorrow by 2pm and let me know where I can pick up my baby or I make your life so shitty you’d wish you never saw my baby. Oh, and can you give her a kiss from her Mommy, she probably misses me.