- Text Size +
Chapter 3 – Charming Little Lady

“Explain this to me again, AJ. He wants to do what with a baby who isn’t his?” Kevin repeated in obvious doubt, pacing around the private room the hospital had secured for Howie. The final three band members, Kevin, Brian, and Nick had arrived at the hospital with fear. AJ’s phone call hadn’t been the clearest conversation, so terrible thoughts surfaced while they hurried to their friend’s aid. Kevin, the oldest, he had arrived fearing the absolute worst. He assumed that Howie was lying upon his deathbed, but was knocked flat on his face with the shocking news of Howie’s quick adoption. He had never expected to hear such a fanatical idea from Howie, the levelheaded thinker of the group.

“I already told you,” AJ groaned, tugging on his thick raven locks. Howie had traveled to the NICU just before their friends had arrived. They hadn’t expected them there so soon, so Alex didn’t mind waiting around in the private room alone. But, when the others had arrived, AJ found himself in a state of panic. Kevin had attacked like a vicious bulldog as soon as he heard the news. And since Howie was nowhere in sight, AJ was left to deal with the brunt force of the rage. “Howie found the kid in the dumpster, Kev. No one was going to help her! No one heard her but Howie! So, she would have died without Howie. He just wants to help—”

“Just wants to help? What the Hell does that mean? Don’t you understand? It’s a big job, AJ. A kid is a huge responsibility!” Kevin finally burst, unable to bury the emotional fury over Howie’s stupidity. Nick and Brian cleared their throats in attempts to speak, but Kevin released a disgusting glare causing them to shrink back in their seats. Kevin refused to give any of the younger men leeway to speak in the issue, because he decided that they all felt the same. “For goodness sake! What about our fans? Did that ever run through your heads? Like what the Hell are we going to tell them? What’s he going to do with the kid on tour? How the hell are you going to make sure this child is healthy, secure, and loved?”

“Kev, give AJ a break!” Brian voiced, trying to cut the younger man a break. It wasn’t fair that AJ was being battered for Howie’s decision.

“For real—” Nick tried.

“No! I want to know what the Hell—”

“Kevin, please stop, we’re going to do just fine. I’m sorry to say that you can’t stop me from doing this. I’m not leaving her behind. I promise you that I can make it work,” Howie called softly, interrupting the heated discussion before it could escalate into a physical war. He seemed completely relaxed as he walked into the room with a small pink bundle. He had heard all the objections while he waited in the hall with his new daughter. He understood Kevin’s anger at his wild decision, but he wouldn’t be swayed. She needed him.

“Howie—”

“Kevin, just do me a favor. Just hold her for two minutes and tell me she doesn’t deserve us,” Howie commanded softly, handing Kevin a precious bundle. He wanted them to realize the importance. Though, he knew that the odds were with him as Kevin brought the child close to his chest. The infant had a unique spirit that captured her unsuspecting caretakers like a sweet bewitchment. Every nurse had fallen in love with the tiny bundle, unable to pass her incubator without kissing her tiny nose. So, Howie assumed it would be the same way with his friends. Allowing the infant to work her magic, he simply folded his hands across his chest and leaned against the wall to study his friends’ reactions.

“She’s… She’s so tiny, D…” Kevin finally murmured in shock as he held the child away for a better view. Like Howie had hoped, Kevin was completely mesmerized by the child’s watchful jade eyes. Kevin naturally cooed softly as he watched the small infant stifle a tiny yawn, bringing her fists to her face for comfort. Kevin found it hard to resist the smile toying with his lips as he ran his free hand against the little blonde curls pinned beneath a pink bow. “Howie, she’s darling, but we’re forgetting the facts. She’s not yours—”

“Kev, no one wanted her.”

“And what if someone comes looking for her?” Kevin pressed, offering the newborn to Brian. Kevin understood Howie’s noble intentions, but the implications behind them could be hazardous to the entire group. Being in the limelight of America could be cruel and merciless if the right rumor spread. Howie was putting the entire group’s career on the line – a line that not many dared to cross.

“She was in a dumpster, Kev—”

“I know—”

“No, you don’t,” Howie argued with obvious contempt. He stepped toward the older man, his eyes dark with concern. No one would ever be able to understand what he saw that night. “She was covered in mountains of garbage and filth. It was a miracle that I even found her within that disgusting trash, because she seemed to blend in because she was wrapped tightly in Wal-Mart bags. The bags were tainted with her blood as she screamed for help. Don’t you understand? Whoever gave her life was trying to kill her in the same instant! One of those bags was wrapped around her head… I had to tear through it just so she could breathe…”

Kevin fell silent over the revelations that Howie had offered in confidence. He couldn’t bring any words to his mouth as he turned to watch the three youngest men with the willful infant. She was now cradled in Nick’s arms with Brian and AJ holding her tiny hands. They each exchanged amused smiles as the two holding her hands blew raspberries upon her palms. The tiny infant’s eyes peeked open in surprise at the surround sound, actually offering the starts of a faint smile, causing the boys to laugh in return.

Kevin was shocked at the sight because AJ was actually smiling, which was a rare find since he was still recovering from his suicidal breakdown just months before. It had been so long since they had completely connected as a true family. Since releasing their last album, they had started to part ways. But, here they sat, united by such a tiny bundle of love. It was as if they had a clean slate to fix the broken foundation of their musical family.

“Howie, I can’t—”

“What do you guys think of her?” Howie called, interrupting Kevin’s final thoughts. Howie decided it would be best for the entire group to offer their say before Kevin made his decision, because Kevin’s verdict could completely shatter their entire existence as a band. Howie refused to be swayed on his choice to keep the infant, so he would have to part ways if Kevin declined her in their lives.

“Kev, she’s adorable. She’s the prettiest baby I’ve ever seen. And her eyes are so soft and seem to drink everything in. She’s so curious about life… And I don’t think I’ve seen anything so tiny before,” Brian called in a hushed tone, not wanting to rouse the newborn from her slumber.

“Can we keep her?” Nick pleaded quickly, making his choice known in an instant.

“She’s not a puppy!” Kevin groaned, tugging hard on his raven locks, realizing that he was the only one standing against this union of father and daughter.

“Kev,” Howie tried to protest softly. “She’s—”

“What’s her name?” Kevin interrupted with a rough bark.

“Huh?” Howie deadpanned in surprise.

“What’s the name of the first Backstreet Daughter?” Kevin rephrased with a soft smile.

Howie stood silent for a moment, drinking in Kevin’s thoughtful words. Finally realizing that Kevin accepted the first daughter of the tight-knit family, Howie beamed a proud smile and offered the official birth certificate for viewing.

“Jillian Luz Dorough.”