- Text Size +
Chapter 8 – Warming Kindred Hearts

“Again, it was a real treat to meet you, Keveney,” Kevin enthused yet again, fumbling to stay afoot as Howie ushered his friends to the door. Kevin thought to jibe at Howie for practically throwing them out of the house, but they understood Howie’s itching need to banish them from his home. Needless to say, all the boys had been quite impressed with Keveney. Not only was she a delectable beauty, but an intelligent, interesting, and vivacious woman, but she had stolen their hearts in a mere instant. And as much as Howie enjoyed watching his suave friends make complete idiots of themselves in front of Keveney, he found a jealous twinge flaring within his heart. He almost thought about complaining that he had found Keveney first, but figured it might sound territorial. He just wanted to spend time with Keveney alone, not within the heat of competition amongst his friends. “We hope to see you soon.”

“It was a pure pleasure, Kevin,” Keveney responded politely, shifting Jillian’s slumbering form in her arms. Jillian released a contented sigh, moving her head so her cheek pressed against Keveney’s soft shoulder. The boys could almost imagine Keveney being Jillian’s mother since she had affectionately cared for the infant since arriving.

“Will you be here often?” Brian questioned eagerly, his light blue eyes sparking with excitement.

“Well, that’s what I’m here for…” Keveney trailed with an impish smile.

“And if we should need you for other services, such as our own personal needs, like a sponge bath… Is there a personal number I could use?” Nick trailed with a seductive smirk, running his fingers haphazardly through his light blond locks as Howie gave them the final boost out the door.

“It was fun guys! See you later!” Howie blurted with horror, finally slamming the door shut in embarrassment. He hurriedly leaned against the door for support, heaving ragged breaths as his cheeks lit with a deep fire. Howie couldn’t believe that Nick had pressed his seductive moves on Keveney that he usually tried when he was in a drunken state at a local bar. Keveney wasn’t a piece of meat for their enjoyment!

“You have…unique…friends,” Keveney decided with a small laugh after a few moments passing, gently bringing Jillian to her chest to sleep. She softly rubbed the infant’s small back while easing herself into the rocking chair. Despite the men’s strange qualities in passing their sexual interests along, she found them delightful because of how loving each man was with Jillian. They took their time to express their love for the abandoned infant like they were all her fathers. It gave her such hope that all humanity was not lost in the sea of despair painted upon the television news, even those men were bizarre.

“They’re definitely unique, but that’s being extremely kind,” Howie chuckled, thankful to finally be alone with Keveney. He loved his friends like brothers, but hated the Jekyll and Hyde transformation that formed them into hormone-ridden teenagers around the beautiful women. So, Howie’s jealousy quickly flared when they switched their charms upon the lovely Keveney.

“Well, I figured I had to be kind to friends of a potential employer,” she teased, briefly glancing down to check on Jillian’s docile state. The child seemed completely content nestled against the soft swell of Keveney’s bust, gently suckling on her fingers as her eyelids drooped. Keveney had already fallen in love with the small family, so she was naturally excited to help. Yet, she planned to offer her services free of charge. Such a Good Samaritan as Howie could not be taxed for his glorious deed to raise such a defenseless infant.

“And a potential friend,” Howie quickly added.

“Well, then, as a potential friend I refuse to take any money whatsoever for the help you may need with this beautiful child—”

“But—”

“No, Howie,” Keveney interrupted with a firm tone in her usually sweet voice, proving she was quite headstrong when need be. She gently ran her fingers against Jillian’s soft cheek, keeping her violet eyes locked on Howie’s form. “I want to be just a friend who helps her friend out because it’s the right thing to do. I’m not strapped for expenses. I make great money working every other night and weekend at the hospital. Nurses are in such great demand that I’m making enough money to keep me very comfortable.”

“I don’t feel right—”

“Look, if you insist, my payment can be a great home-cooked meal at least once a week with you and Jillian. You see, my sister tends to burn everything that she puts her hands on... So, dinner is less than nourishing. Besides, I really admire what you’re doing with Jillian. People like you and my parents are an honest blessing to God’s abandoned angels.”

“So, I did hear right?” he questioned softly, not wanting to startle the woman. He had spent several sleepless nights contemplating Keveney’s last words spoken the night he first asked for help. He had almost started to believe that he was hearing things when Keveney announced she was adopted. She had been so well adjusted into life and Howie had a hard time believe someone could give up such a loving person to the cruel world. Not that it truly mattered in his eyes. He just wanted to be there for her.

“Yeah, I’m adopted,” she answered simply, not needing any further detail in his question. Her words were crisp and spoken with the soft tones of her melodious voice, offering no bitterness or anger. “My natural mother was really young when she had me. I guess she was really scared about having a child, so she gave birth and dumped me off at some remote location. Thankfully, someone found me not even an hour afterwards and took me to the nearest hospital. The hospital then released me into the adoption agency. My parents, the Moore’s, thought that they could only have one child and had a hard time conceiving that one child. So, they adopted me, but still ended up having children. Almost like a gift from God for taking me into their lives.”

“God, I’m so sorry,” Howie breathed, fascinated by the bittersweet tale of Keveney’s early life.

“I’m not. God had a purpose for doing what He did.”

“So, you’re not bitter?” Howie asked incredulously, finally admiring Keveney’s strength amongst other things. Given the circumstances, Howie would never think to scold her if she were spiteful against the maliciousness of humanity. But that was hardly the case when looking into her lovely eyes. Keveney was cheery and dazzling with an infectious smile, almost like a pure ray of golden sunshine plucked by God Himself.

“How could I be bitter?” she asked honestly, gently swaying within the rocking chair to keep Jillian settled. “I absolutely love my life and have no regrets. My best friend is my older sister, Stevie. I confide everything in her and not once in my life did she ever call me the ‘adopted’ sister. I was always her flesh and blood, her companion, and her life. My parents love me just as if I had been birthed from their love. I’m their little girl and I’ll always be their little girl. And my little siblings are a complete riot. I love them with all my heart, even if they blame their mischievousness on learning it from me. I just couldn’t have asked God for anything more… Except the chance to bond with Jillian and you.”

“The feeling’s mutual, Keveney,” Howie enthused with a faint blush adding to his already rosy cheeks.

“Please, call me Kevie.”

“Kevie?”

“Yeah, you know, my nickname?”

“Ouch,” Howie groaned with a laugh, pretending his heart had burst from her sarcasm.

“I still love you,” Keveney cooed, causing a thick silence to quickly settle amongst the two adults. She carefully shifted, feeling the sparks jump from his gorgeous eyes and scorch the depths of her heart. Keveney shifted her gaze; it felt so natural to express her love to him. She blushed, deciding to clear the tension before their friendship could become tainted with sexual aggression. “So, when do you want me over again?”

“Anytime you want,” Howie gulped, thinking about asking her to stay permanently.

“Then you won’t be able to get rid of me!”

“Good!” Howie responded, licking his dry lips. “But I do have a favor to ask.”

“Shoot.”

“A music columnist is coming over to interview me with Jillie next week. The guys have insisted that I have to do this interview by myself, but to tell you the truth, I really don’t care if they were here or not. But you… I’d feel a lot better if you were here to help me get her ready and keep me calm.”
“Moore for Music is coming to interview you?” Keveney asked with a knowing laugh.

“Yeah, that’d be the very columnist! So, would you please come over to keep me calm?”

“I’d love to,” she retorted, already brewing the mischievous havoc she could cause in her sister’s life.