- Text Size +
Chapter Sixteen: One Big Family


"Are the pregnant women supposed to be cooed at like newborns or is this a new trend?" Tierja muttered to Ana, sitting down next to her on the porch swing. All of their friends and families were in town to celebrate a combined baby shower for both women. They had just finished opening presents and were now eating and catching up on life. It was fun and exciting but at the same time just a little annoying even for Tierja to be fawned over just because she was close to nine months pregnant and Ana right behind her at eight.

"I think it's part of the whole pregnancy phenomenon, but I still blame Howie wholly for this undue injustice," Ana answered, glancing over her friend to make sure no one had followed behind. Ana had just escaped the wrath of love from Howie's sisters and mother and decided that hiding outside was the best option. Not that she didn't adore Howie's family, she was just feeling suffocated with all the attention. Even her maturing daughter seemed to shy away from the attention, growing quiet inside her mother's abdomen and then shifting wildly with uncomfort when anyone would give them a moment's rest. Now, Ana slowly rubbed her hands over her swelled abdomen, trying to soothe her daughter.

"Undue in justice? You're having a baby," Tierja laughed, munching on some apple slices dipped in peanut butter. She didn't have the sister-in-laws that Ana had, but it was still a little overwhelming and she didn't blame her younger friend for wanting to escape. "It's not like there's more than one in there... then I would consider that an injustice."

"No, that would be considered a horror movie," Ana sighed, slumping slightly to allieve the cramping in her back. "Me with two daughters? Oh good, Lord."

"I think it would be Karma biting you in the ass, but I know better than to jinx you because I know you would kill me," Tierja leaned over and massaged Ana's lower back for a moment before handing her a slice of apple to munch on. "Only a month to go before you see the little girl, Trouble."

"Cadence Yvonne Dorough," Ana confirmed with a soft smile, knowing Howie was extremely excited that Ana had selected to give their first daughter his deceased sister's middle name. It was exciting to actually have a name for the child sleeping inside her, not to mention the fact that she'd be holding that same child shortly. She may have been terrified about being a first time mother to a daughter, but she was coming to adore some parts of her feminine whiles. She couldn't wait to fawn over her daughter.

"That's such a beautiful name. It's perfect for your first girl," Tierja smiled as well, kissing Ana's cheek. She and Kevin had decided to wait until the baby was born to see the sex and she was getting anxious for that day to come. She couldn't wait to see both their children running around and playing like their mothers had at the same age.

"She might as well have a girly name if she isn't going to have a girly mother..." Ana laughed, shaking her head.

"Oh stop, you're gonig to be girly enough for her," Tierja pulled on one of Ana's braided pigtails gently with a playful grin.

"At least you won't have to worry if you've got a girl--"

"Shush now," Tierja interrupted, rubbing her abdomen as her child woke up from their long nap. It was odd how it chose that time to greet its mother, away from all the guests and family members.

"You're the one who interrupted my hiding spot."

"And whose house are you at?"

"...That's not the point!"

"Oh yes it is--"

"I told you they would be out here," Kevin's voice halted Ana's reasoning as he and Howie walked outside. "Left us inside to handle all the estrogen by ourselves to seek their own salvation!"

"See what trouble you got me into?" Ana growled, pointed accusingly at her best friend. "You took my hiding place and now I got caught!"

"Hey! You got your own self into trouble, not me!"

"I hope you go into labor right now! Get amniotic fluid all over your favorite dress," Ana continued to threaten.

"Anastacia Grace, don't you dare jinx me!"

"I just did!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Neutral corners!" Howie placed his hands over the women's mouths.

"That's the hormones for you," Kevin chuckled with obvious amusement.

"I'll go back inside," Ana lamented as she attempted to pull Howie's hand from her mouth. She wrinkled her nose in distaste as Tierja shot her a nasty look. "I just wanted some fresh air."

"I'll go in with you," Howie helped his wife get to her feet and they walked back into the house. Both he and Ana cringed openly as his sisters squawked to get their attention.

"That is why I just have brothers and sister-in-laws," Kevin chuckled with true amusement, taking his seat beside Tierja. The obstetrician had already stated that Tierja could go into labor at any time, so he was just waiting patiently for the right announcement. More so, the shrill whine of Tierja when her water broke and ruined her expensive clothing.

"You have no idea how glad I am that you don't have sisters," Tierja rested her head on his shoulder as she finished her last piece of fruit and placed her hands on her abdomen. The child kicked softly, trying to get comfortable inside its warm bed. "I think this kid is more restless than I am."

"He or she is ready to come out."

"I just hate not knowing when it could happen," Tierja pouted down at her abdomen. "Don't break my water when I'm sleeping, y'hear? I hate washing the bedding enough--"

"Excuse me, I'm the one who washes the clothing and bedding."

"Okay, okay, it's to give Daddy a break with the washing."

"You're something else..."

"You love me anyway."

"Yes, I love you," Kevin kissed her softly before leaning down to kiss where their child lay sleeping. "And you."

~*~*~*~

"Trouble, are you still mad at me for disrupting your hiding spot at the baby shower last week?" Tierja asked softly as she settled onto the couch, resting her head on Kevin's lap to give her aching back a little relief. She had invited Ana and Howie over for a night of relaxing after a week of chaos with everyone in town for the baby shower and such.

"What makes you think that?" Ana asked in confusion as she tipped her cup to chew on some ice chips. She had been increasingly thirsty as the days passed and had to make twice the trips to the bathroom to relieve herself. She knew it was because her daughter was pushing on her bladder, but loved chewing on ice and drinking despite the risks. She had even claimed she'd insert her own cathetar if this continued much longer.

"I don't know, I was just asking--"

"Tierj, that was last week. Of course I'm not mad at you," Ana rolled her blue-green eyes playfully. "I think you're letting your hormones take over your emotions again."

"I still feel bad..."

"I think you need to give birth already, that baby is making you crazy," Ana sighed with a small laugh, popping the spoon of her fruit punch drink into her mouth.

"You're not the only one saying that," Tierja gazed up at her fiancee with an innocent smirk.

"What I do?" he teased, leaning down to kiss her softly.

"You got her pregnant," Howie chirped, coming out of the kitchen with the snacks that Tierja and Ana had requested, though a few had made him nausous. Sandwiches with peanut butter and pickles, french fries with chocolate ice cream... he was just glad that he wasn't eating it.

"My God, my husband's a genius," Ana exclaimed sarcastically, scooping another mixture of chipped ice and fruit punch into her mouth. She glanced at the snacks Howie had prepared and her stomach flopped for a moment. They didn't exactly look as appealing as they had when Tierja suggested them.

"That's because he has my snacks," Tierja grinned, attempting to sit up but failed. "Ugh... help!"

"Can I interject the beached whale reference or should I keep my mouth shut?" Ana asked with a mouthful of ice chips.

"Mouth shut!" Tierja grunted as Kevin carefully helped her sit up on the couch.

"You've always said that Ana was adorable," Kevin reminded his fiancee as Howie handed her the tray of snacks.

"Not when I'm the one being called a beached whale, she's not adorable," Tierja replied, smiling at Howie as she took the ones she requested and he sat down next to Ana on the opposite loveseat. "Thank you for making the food. How hard was it to make them?"

"You mean physically or mentally with my stomach flopping?" Howie teased as he offered Ana the remaining snack.

"No thanks, Bee," Ana whispered, motioning toward her ICEE of sorts. "I just want this..."

"Are you okay, Angel?"

"You way too sweet," Ana concluded as she rested her head against his chest. She held the cool, sweating glass against her neck, closing her eyes to savor the cold.

"Oh, this is so a Kodak moment," Tierja cooed as she took a couple pictures of her best friends in such a loving embrace with the brand-new digital camera Ann had bought them for the baby shower. "That's going in my special scrapbook."

Ana scowled at the flash, "Tierja--"

"Thank you!"

"Bee--"

"Can you make me a copy of that, Tier?"

"No problem."

"Bee!"

"What?"

"When Cadence is born, I'm taking her and leaving," Ana scowled, setting her drink aside to bury her face in Howie's chest. She was highly uncomfortable in the last stage of her pregnancy. She was afraid to sleep on her stomach and couldn't sleep on her back, constantly tossing and turning during the shifting nights. And, taking pictures of her just aggravated her further. "I'm moving in with Polly and leaving all of you."

"Oh, calm down, now. It was just a picture that we can look back when we're old and gray," Howie placed a few kisses on the top of her head, gently rubbing her back in a circular motion to soothe her. "Please don't leave me."

"No more pictures..."

"Tier, can you promise Ana no more pictures?"

"I'm sorry Trouble, I didn't mean to upset you. No more pictures, okay?" Tierja smiled sympathetically towards her best friend.

"No, Momma, no," Ana slightly whimpered, causing Kevin to chuckle at the innocently adorable nature she was exuding. Ana was definitely an oddball.

"Shh, Baby. It's alright, it's alright," Howie soothed into her golden locks.

"I'm tired," she explained, rubbing her face against his chest as she inhaled the sweet scent of his cologne. During her first trimester, the smell had actually made her nauseous. Now, she was thankful that she could enjoy it again. And, whining slightly always seemed to get Howie to hold her. She had never asked for help before in her life, but she loved Howie's affection. And she felt as if she needed it more with the ending of the pregnancy.

"You can rest if you want to. We're just sitting here talking and watching the fire," Howie's free hand began massaging her back, starting down low and gradually going up to her neck and shoulders before going back down again.

"No one blames you for being tired," Kevin spoke up.

"I do--"

"Tierja," Kevin quickly interrupted with a soft glare. "Don't tease her."

"Sorry..."

"Goodnight," Ana yawned, closing her eyes with her face still buried into her husband's strong chest. She knew he would protect her no matter what and it made her feel safe.

"Cadence is really draning her, isn't she?" Tierja asked once she was sure Ana had fallen asleep.

"Extremely," Howie sighed.

"Or is it the fact that it's a Cadence instead of Howie Jr. that's bothering her?"

"Do you always have to cause trouble, woman?" Howie groaned with annoyance. "We talked about it and she's fine with having a little girl first."

"I thought she was excited about having a little girl..." Kevin trailed, glancing at his fiancee as she grinned at perturbing Howie. "During the baby shower with Polly... They were going through her baby clothes and she was really excited about some of the cuter stuff..."

"She is excited about having a girl, but she's still a little scared she won't be... girly enough," Howie attempted to explain, glaring at Tierja.

"She was fantastic with your nieces last week though and your family spent a few days extra here at your house... She must have been beautiful with them..." Kevin continued, covering his fiancee's mouth to wipe the amused smirk off her face.

"She is and she was. She just doubts herself sometimes. It'll be okay once Cadence is born," Howie replied, rubbing his wife's stomach as their little girl moved slightly to get comfortable.

"It'll be wonderful with Cadence is born," Tierja promised. "And, Daddy must be getting excited, right?"

"Very excited," Howie finally smiled. "What about you two?"

"Estatic," Kevin was quick to announce before Tierja could pummel him.

"How many beatings did you go through?"

"Too many to count--"

"Very funny," Tierja growled, frowning.

"Absolutely hysterical, Darling," Kevin agreed.