- Text Size +
Anael yawned softly as she stepped out into the large living room. Her body slowly began to stretch and greet the lovely morning. The boys had rented a condo area from the hotel to stay for the weekend in Tennessee. Delicious smells of gourmet food awaited her in the kitchen. She felt her mouth water. She loved living in the lap of luxury. She thanked God every day for the chance to change a human life and live comfortably. She let her feet sink into the soft carpet as she walked over to retrieve a glass of orange juice.

“Hey, Grace“Anne,” AJ’s rough voice called out. Anael jumped with surprise, dropping the carton of juice into the sink. A stream of orange juice burst from the top of the carton and dribbled into the chrome sink. She whirled around in utter surprise to find AJ standing inches away from her. She wrinkled her nose in distaste as the smell of alcohol permeated the air.

“Good morning, Mr. McLean,” Anael replied coolly. She shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot. She nervously reached up to twirl a long strand of honey blonde hair between her fingers. She still didn’t know how to react around him. Whatever she did turned out to be wrong. She felt her heart hammer against her chest as she stared at AJ. His eyes were scanning her over, admiring the way her pajamas fit her body. She felt so dirty when he gazed at her like that.

“You should have gone out with me last night,” he whispered, leaning over her. Anael arched her back backward as he pressed his arms firmly against the counter, pinning her within his arms. She felt the sharp edge of the counter press tightly against her back. She held an urge to whimper as his glassy eyes glanced downward. Something was terribly wrong with this image. He had never done anything this extreme before.

AJ was admiring her beautiful body. He swayed from the uneasiness of being drunk. He had one too many drinks the past night. He was man enough to admit it, but Anael looked so beautiful. Her white silk pajama bottoms hugged against her curving hips and tied below her belly button. Her white tank top hugged her upper torso, and ended at her natural waistline. He felt himself grow hard at the sight of her beautiful light honey-colored curls falling around her heart-shaped face.

“Mr. McLean, you are definitely drunk,” Anael called out, startling him from his thoughts. His eyes narrowed sharply at her. Anael took a deep breath, watching him lean closer to her. The smell of alcohol grew stronger than before. Anael’s stomach began to churn in anticipation. She could feel AJ’s hot breath against her neck. “You need to go lay down. You boys have practice at noon this afternoon. That’s only a mere three hours away. Everyone is going to be disappointed if you don’t show up again. I’m going to have to start docking pay. C’mon, AJ! Please! You need to rest!”

“I need you in my room,” he whispered huskily.

“You need to sober up.”

“Come to my room. All women surrender to my touch, you just have to take a chance. I will make you love me, and I will make you feel things you never have felt in your life. I will make you turn into a beautiful woman instead of the Ice Queen,” AJ rasped, pulling her into his arms. She struggled to get away from him as his lips raced down her neck. He continued to slide his hands across her delicate body. Her skin burned with each grope. Her anger soared against her heart. She screamed in frustration, pushing him backward. He stumbled and fell to the soft carpet.

“What do you think you’re doing?! You’re acting like such a jerk! Get your head out of your butt for a moment and realize what you’re doing! You kill brain cells ev’ry time you come home plastered! What you’re doing is wrong. Can’t you see that?” Anael asked with a seething tone of anger in her southern drawl. Her sapphire eyes flashed with hurt and compassion. She trembled with worry as AJ sat there.

“Fuck you,” he hissed.

“You’re hurting everyone around you! Can’t you see that? Nick is terrified that you’re going to die somewhere and he has nightmares about it! Howie hates to talk about it, because he’s embarrassed. Kevin’s mad! Brian prays for you every night! Can’t you see they love you and you don’t need to drink to feel what’s already there?” Anael stressed.

“Fuck all of them. Nick wouldn’t care if I did die in a ditch, because more fans would flock to him. Howie never had the guts to admit anything “ he’s a fool. Kevin can piss himself as much as he likes ” I could care less. And the whole praying idea? Fuck that! Brian can kiss my ass! God doesn’t need me, and I don’t need Him!” AJ roared. He pushed himself off the floor and snatched the glass from Anael’s hands. He pushed her back into the counter. She winced in fear as he chucked the glass at her head. She felt the air whip by her face as the glass shattered behind her. Fragments of glass flew back at Anael.

“Oh, Lord!” Anael cried out in horror as pain soared against her body.

“Get this straight, woman. Don’t get into my damn business, and don’t ever tell me what I need to fucking do. You don’t need me, and that’s fucking fine. Don’t ruin what I got going. Just because you got a stick stuck up your ass doesn’t mean I have to get rammed up the ass like that, too. I’m not a homo. Got it?” AJ hissed as he turned and stormed into his room.

Anael fell to the floor in shock as his door slammed sharply. She could feel blood trailing down the back of her head. She was about to stand up, but things froze around her. The door that was opening stayed cracked, but nothing else happened. A flash of light entered her eyes. She blinked as she shielded her eyes. A blazing glory of golden wings spread about her. She glanced up to see Gabriel’s kindred face glancing down on her with sorrow.

“Are you okay?” Gabriel asked worriedly. His voice sounded like a faint echo in her soul.

“I’m fine,” she choked. She realized what was going on now. Gabriel had more power than Brea did. If he wanted to speak with her, he could freeze everything around them. Brea had to wait until Anael was alone to send a message through their orbs. She took a deep breath, reaching up to touch her hair. She winced, bringing back her hand to see it tainted with blood. She heard Gabriel make a disgruntled noise of worry. Anael felt tears trail down her burning cheeks. She was so embarrassed.

“You do realize that you are somewhat physically human when you’re on earth, correct?” Gabriel asked, kneeling down before her. Relief flushed through her system as his soft wings enveloped her body in a hug. A fuzzy warmth enveloped her body. She smiled at the feeling. A simple hug could cure everything. She felt touched by Gabriel’s gentle ways. He cared about all His guardian angels. God would be upset if Gabriel didn’t check up on them periodically.

“I guess I sort of did,” Anael said softly.

“Anael, child, you can die here, because that’s what they would expect if something happened to you. We can’t disrupt other human lives; it was God’s rule when giving humans free-will. I try to stop the pain if that happens, but sometimes I can’t get there in time. Please be careful around this man. Direct physical confrontations aren’t going to work with this lost soul. Can you try another approach?”

“What if I call him from a pay phone in Alaska?” Anael asked dryly, rolling her eyes.

“I love your humor,” Gabriel teased, brushing his finger under her chin. She looked up into his kind eyes. His face turned serious. “I know you can do this, Anael. Just keep at it and never let this man get the best of you. For the most part, you got him where you want him. Just realize he’s not as open to God as you are. You’ve got the fight and drive to do this. Don’t let him intimidate you. Alright, sweetheart?”

“I got it, Gabe.”

He groaned loudly, “It’s not Gabe!”

“Sorry,” Anael said with a sorrowful smile.

Gabriel sighed heavily as he stood up. His wing span doubled as the Heavenly lights filtered in around him. The golden wings lit up like the brilliant colors of a setting sun. A small smile thinned Gabriel’s lips. “I’ll make a deal with you, child. The second you come back from this mission with another follower of God, you can call me Gabe.”

Then he was gone.

“Grace“Anne!” Brian’s voice called out with worry as things melted from their frozen state. Anael looked up in time to see Brian kneeling before her. Worry etched the lines in his tired face. He held her face within the palms of his warm hands. He gave her a worried smile. “What happened? All I heard was a smashing of glass!”

“Mr. McLean and I had a disagreement about practice times,” Anael replied calmly, brushing the glass away from her skin. She winced as more blood began to flow against her skin.

“About practice?” Brian asked in confusion.

“Something of the sort.”

“What happened after that?”

Anael blushed, not wanting to comment on the sexual passes placed upon her. She glanced down at the glass lying about the soft carpet. Her blood had fallen against the beautiful carpet, tainting it. Anael sighed. “He got mad and threw the glass I had gotten for orange juice at me.”

“He threw a glass at you?” Brian asked with anger.

“It didn’t hurt.”

Brian quickly examined her head. He met her eyes with his light blue eyes. Tears seemed to form within them. Anael gave him a soft smile as he pursed his lips in sorrow. Brian’s compassion was overwhelming. “You’re bleeding, Anael. He made you bleed.”

“It’s only a scrape,” Anael defended.

“You have to be careful around him,” Brian chastised. He helped her stand up. He shook his sleepy head with worry as he took her into the bathroom. He sat her down and searched for the first aid kit. She smiled at his kindred spirit unfolding within him. Brian had a genuine concern for her well-being.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Littrell.”

“Grace-Anne, don’t even start that formal crap! I’m on a first name basis with you since our Bible study, remember?” Brian asked with a wry smile. Anael had to chuckle. Brian looked happier once she smiled. He leaned over and began to gather the slivers of glass from her thick curls. He glanced down at her. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“I’m fine.”

“Just do me one favor, Anael. Please make sure you’re not alone with him any longer. He used to be cool to hang around, but it’s different now. He has such a short fuse. Anything can make him angry, and from what time it is, I’m guessing he was drunk?”

“You guessed correctly.”

“He’s a fool, Grace-Anne,” Brian told her quietly, “A dangerous fool.”