- Text Size +
Anael practically raced back to her dorm room with the cheerful news. Anael had not found it hard to get used to the realities of Heaven. Heaven was pretty much shaped like Earth, only it held extra advantages for each generation that arrived. Everything was clean and had a fresh scent to it. No one worried about disadvantages, because everyone was treated equally. No pain or hate flowed throughout the Heavens. Everyone knew everyone else, and was loved. No one worried about cleaning or other grueling chores. Heaven was a time of rest and purity.

Heaven was divided and shaped like several towns with each person's own living quarters. Teenagers would live in the dorms while they waited for someone else from their family to join them, or if they had no one else. The elderly had their own section away from the nosiness of teenagers' music and parties. The children were brought under the loving care of specific angels, keeping the children from being scared or lonely. Anael usually helped out there whenever she had a chance - after all - she had been attending classes to become a Guardian.

Anael let the images of her home fade as she raced up the stairs of her dorm. She couldn't wait to tell Brea the good news. She was so excited that everyone leapt out of her way as she ran up the stairs of her dorm room. She apologized briefly, but continued her mad dash. The others just laughed, knowing Anael had some sort of good news, but Anael couldn't bother to share with them. She had to get to Brea.

Luckily, she shared her room with Brea. Both girls loved the colors blue and purple. Therefore, they decided to decorate the dorm with that fashion. Brea's side was mostly covered with blue, some small splashes of purple. Brea's personality was wilder than Anael, and held the most resent fashion design. Anael had her side mixed with a large amount of lavender purple and a fair amount of blue. Anael had settled with the classic themes and gentleness she loved about the country.

Brea was already in the room, luckily. The older teen was sprawled out on the girls' thick white carpet. She was lazily thumbing through the latest issue of Seventeen. The girls still received magazines in Heaven, so they could continue to be updated. God even allowed His Angels to dress in the appropriate fashions as long as it was white. Anael was thankful for that.

"Hey, Anael, what's happening? Gabriel condemn you to Hell yet?" Brea joked as Anael threw herself onto the giant waterbed of her own. Anael felt delight course down her body as she beamed a smile at Brea. She began to bounce on her bed with anticipation of the news. Brea raised her dark eyebrows in curiousity. "Well, he couldn't have sent you to Hell, no one could be THAT happy about Hell!"

"NO!"

"Oh, before I forget! Joanna called us. She said you're supposed to meet her at six for your evaluation. To make sure you're okay on the one year anniversary of your death. It's common practice up here. She calls everyone on the day of his or her death... They tell their story, then they're fine," Brea told Anael quickly.

"That doesn't matter!" Anael grinned.

"What happened? Christian ask you out on a date?" Brea teased.

Anael made a face, "I would rather kiss the Devil's butt."

"I'll talk to Gabe."

"Brea!" Anael complained. Brea always had a way of changing the subject. "I have really important news and all you do is keep teasing me! That's not very nice! I have to tell someone before I burst! This news is so important that it's going to blow the silver feathers off your wings!"

"What is it?" Brea laughed.

"I'm going to be a Guardian!" Anael finally burst.

Brea's jaw dropped open, "What?!"

"God finally picked me!" Anael screamed, jumping off her waterbed and falling onto the plush carpet with Brea. She thrust the folder out to Brea for proof. Brea's dark eyes widened with surprise again. "I can't believe it! I really thought Gabe was going to nail me to a cross! But God wants me! You're going to be my look-out and I get to go back to Earth! Gabe said so!"

"Dude, I'm all for it!" Brea squealed. "Who did you get?"

"I don't know! I ran all the way back here just to tell you!"

"Well! Open it, girlie!" Brea shouted. Anael grinned incessantly as she opened the golden folder. The folder sprayed bright light around the room as Anael gently slid the silver papers from their folder. She quickly scanned over them and noticed the photo of her lost soul. Anael was quite taken by the photograph.

The man was definitely one of a kind. He was a rebel from the outside to the inside. He wore his black hair in short spikes, tipped with fire red coloring. His ears contained several piercings, along with his chin. Sunglasses hid his eyes from the world, as if he contained a secret. He pointed his fingers out toward the person of the photograph, tempting the viewers. A devilish smirk flashed against the photograph. He was handsome.

"He's a rock star..." Anael murmured, glancing at the information.

Brea groaned with jealousy, "How come you get the good guys!"

"He's not good," Anael groaned back, shaking her head. "He's into drugs, sex, gambling, booze, everything that God basically doesn't want His people to do. My goodness, this man is bad news! Everything in the Ten Commandments and beyond the Ten Commandments -- this man has broken every single one of them!"

"Ouch, how come Big Guy gave you such a tough one?"

"I don't know," Anael sighed heavily. She thrust the papers back into her folder. Brea immediately jumped up from the carpet. Anael stood up and placed the folder in her backpack. She sighed again as she threw the backpack onto her shoulders. Anael said nothing more as she walked toward the door. Brea grunted with frustration at Anael's quietness.

"Where are you going?" Brea inquired.

"Library, I have to look up some stuff. I get shipped off at twelve tonight. You going to be there for me?" Anael asked hopefully. None of her family had died recently. Only her distant family remained in Heaven, and she spoke with them occasionally, but it provided nothing to her aching heart. Everyone in her immediate family was still living on Heaven without her. The only person she had was her best friend, Brea.

"Sure, Babe. I wouldn't miss this even if God offered me a chance to date His Son!" Brea joked.

"Thanks!" Anael answered with a heartfelt smile. She slipped out of the bedroom unannounced and unnoticed. She sighed again as she hurried down to the library. God never made mistakes, and Anael knew that much. However, there was an unsettling nature within her heart. God had chosen her for a good reason, but she just wished she knew what it was.