- Text Size +
Anael shook with nervousness as she stood behind the blazing pearly gates. In a few moments, she would be shipped back to Earth to help a lost soul. Her mind began to second-guess her abilities. Did she really have the energy and knowledge to save another? Was she so sure of herself that she could help another? Did she want to really provide help?

While Anael’s mind toiled with doubtful possibilities, Brea acted as if it was nothing but Anael knew better. The job was a lot harder than it sounded, especially when the person was extremely stuck in his devilish ways. The man was as stubborn as a mule. He would fight the entire way, Anael knew that much. She continued to pray to God that He would guide her through this mission and help her. Without God’s love, she would fail.

“You behave while you’re down there. God doesn’t want you there for a party. You have a job to do, remember that,” Brea teased as she hugged Anael tightly. Gabriel was hurriedly scribbling some last minute accommodations for Anael when she arrived to Earth. It was approaching her departure time. Brea smiled mischievously. “Remember, I’m always a rub away on your locket. Then as soon as you give it a rub, I’ll appear. Got that right?”

“Yes m’am,” Anael answered nervously.

“You’ll be fine,” Gabriel insisted with a dismissal wave of his hand. He gave a gentle nod, noting that Anael’s hands were shaking terribly. “Do you want the details on the case? Or am I just supposed to send you down to Earth without a clue?” Gabriel’s eyes seemed lighter than usual. Anael began to wonder if he ever smiled. “Your lost soul is named Alexander James McLean. He works for a group called the Backstreet Boys.”

“Gabey, I think she read all this in the folder“”

“Brea, do you want to be warmed up by a very full oven?” Gabriel threatened, although Anael noticed the glimmer of mischief in his eyes. Brea made the sign of the cross and stepped back, her silver wings folded over her body. Anael rolled her eyes, seeing that only Brea’s face showing. “Anyway, you’re aliases is going to be your middle name, Grace-Anne Lupe. You’ll be Mr. McLean’s band manager. I assume that you’ve already studied your role and know what is expected?”

“Yes, sir,” Anael mumbled as she nodded.

“Remember that we’ll be periodically checking in with you. I can’t watch you all the time, but I will have direct contact with you when I decide so. As will Brea. Just remember that you have God on your side. And I’ve given you the power for God’s divine touch. It creates one miracle for whatever you desire. It only works once and is open for emergencies only. Got that?”

“Yes.”

“Stop drilling her!” Brea smirked as Gabriel gave her another dark look. Brea rolled her eyes, waving her hands for Gabriel to step back. He did so and signaled for the Guardian Angel to open the massive gates. “She’s checked the hand book, she knows she’s the band manager and she knows that she’s working for a foxy man in need of some Godly coaching. Let her go now!”

“Any other questions?” Gabriel asked, ignoring Brea.

“Oh! I forgot to meet with Joanna!” Anael groaned as she slapped her forehead. Brea winced as a red mark appeared against Anael’s delicate skin. Anael ignored the pain and glanced up at Brea with fear, knowing that Joanna hated when her clients missed appointments. It was her first check“up since her death. She had to go! It was a must. “What will I tell Joanna? I had to be there!”

“It’s okay! She’ll understand,” Gabriel chuckled, admiring Anael’s sensitive nature.

“Seriously?”

“You’re on God’s mission, she’s not allowed to object.”

“That’s true...” Anael answered as she chewed on her bottom lip hesitantly.

“Any other questions?”

“How am I going to fit into their whole scene? I mean “ have you arranged that they’ll know exactly who I am?” Anael asked, still curious to how she was going to fit in. She never understood that part of the task. Her divine teachings might get in the way of the social rocker atmosphere. She wondered if they’d even accept her as she was.

“Their last manager was fired because Mr. McLean didn’t get what he wanted from her. So, God has arranged for you to take her place. They have your résumé and know you‘re coming. They‘re just setting up for another tour, so you‘ll meet them at the first venue and take it from there. So, everything is planned for you.”

“Thank goodness!”

“Are you okay now, Anael?”

“I’m Grace“Anne from Raleigh, North Carolina, silly!” Anael answered, slipping into her southern accent. She had been raised there and still had her thick accent when she forgot to cover it. It was a sweet touch to her heavenly attitude. She gave a smile as Gabriel laughed again.

“You’re ready! You’ll be dropped off in the exact location of the venue, in the style of clothing Brea picked out. Thankfully, she has taste. Thomas had the last girl and she looked like a wreck. But when you come back you’ll have your beautiful wings.”

“I can’t wait for that.”

“Neither can anyone else.” Brea smiled. “Have fun, Anael!”

“Thank you!”

“Good luck!” Gabriel answered as he opened the gates.