- Text Size +
Anael woke up suddenly in the middle of the night to a bright light shining upon her face. The brightness had awakened her slowly from her peaceful sleep. At first, she batted it away, not wanting to be disturbed by such things. Then, the light continued to grow brighter, almost like a brilliant beam of moonshine. It shone like the sun, forcing Anael to awaken and squint. She sat up when it reached a brilliant blue, wincing at the powerful nature.

Anael whimpered as she sat up, rubbing her grainy eyes. She had fallen asleep crying for what was the third day of her mission. AJ had continued to make catcalls at her and be rude. His obnoxious behavior was getting the best of her. She loathed his arrogance, and detested his sexual innuendos. The boys had tried to apologize, but nothing could make up for AJ’s harsh realities. Constantly, she watched him bring women and alcohol into his room. Each morning she would awaken from a woman calling out in pure ecstasy. It was unbearable at times. Lucifer’s presence was all too real. It made her heart ache with pain that she had never felt before.

“Girl! I swear you sleep like a bear!” a voice yelled at her, growling with displeasure. Anael focused her eyes to gaze upon Brea’s soft image in the circular light. Anael’s face lit into a giant smile. She scrambled to the end of the bed where the sphere of light radiated. She was so glad to see someone familiar. “Girl! How are you?” Brea laughed, her image gently lapping like rivulets in a silent pond.

“Haven’t you been watching?” Anael questioned the ball of light. She needed no formalities with Brea. The two were too close in heart and soul to make casual greetings. Anael knew that Brea was trying to soften the blows of reality, but it was hopeless. Anael was in trouble, and Brea could sense that. Brea and Anael had a link that no other angels in the Heavens had.

“Every day, but I figured I could hear it from your own lips. It’s like watching my favorite Soap Opera. This stuff is completely crazy! You poor kid! I tried talking to Gabe about helping you out, but he won’t loosen up. He said that Big Guy picked you especially for this one. No ifs, ands, or buts!”

“Brea, he won’t even open up to me!”

“I disagree on that account,” Brea snickered.

“Care to clarify?”

“Those sexual innuendos are pretty open!”

“That wasn’t funny,” Anael scolded with a blush flushing her cheeks.

“You know I wasn’t trying to be funny.”

“Besides, Gabe would kill me for actually accepting them!” Anael spat back. She was annoyed by the amused expression on Brea’s face. Anael had thoughts about wiping the catty smirk upon her friend’s face. There was nothing funny about Anael wanting to succeed with this mission. Brea already had her wings, and was certified to help every person on Earth. Anael was going on a trial basis. It just wasn’t fair that her first assignment was so difficult. She felt her heart pound while Brea turned serious. “What if I can’t do it, Brea?”

“Some missions are longer than others.”

“But three days“”

“My first one didn’t open up until the sixth week.”

“Did God get angry?”

“No, because the ending was more profitable than getting mad.”

“Oh,” Anael replied softly. She gazed down at her hands which lay folded in her lap. She was so disappointed in herself. There were so many things to do to help AJ, but he wouldn’t budge. Her goals were slowly cracking against the pressure of the raging rivers. She wanted some sort of relief, but only found more complications.

“Anael, don’t get all huffy!” Brea scolded with a gentle laugh. Anael gazed into the ball, feeling somewhat relieved at the serious expression Brea held. “Honey, God waited a long time before He sent His son to the Earth. He can wait a little while longer for you to bring Mr. McLean back from the pits of Hell. He understands what you are going through. After all, He has millions of people on this Earth butting heads with Him constantly. At least AJ’s knows you exist. God is always watching you. Gabriel says that God is mighty proud of you. Don’t forget that, okay?”

“Yes, Brea.”

“Keep your chin up, okay?” Brea called as the light started to dim with a small flicker.

“Wait! You’re leaving me already?” Anael asked with frustration. The corners of her mouth drooped into a pitiful frown. “We haven’t even talked for a moment’s time! There’s so much I need to ask you!”

“Gabe didn’t even want me to give you a light!” Brea exclaimed. “I had to work even harder just to get him to let me do this. He’s such a pain in the rear-end! He wanted you to survive on your own for the first week. I don’t think he wants us to have any contact with you. You have to be someone they really expect to succeed in this job!”

“Brea, this isn’t“”

“Be good, okay?” Brea called as her voice became faint.

“I’m always good!”

“Anael, we believe in you.”

“I just hope that I can believe in me, too,” Anael whispered as she was surrounded by darkness again.

*~*~*

AJ watched as Brian tried to teach Anael one of the new dance steps they had just learned. It was their break time, and Brian always socialized with Anael at this time. AJ was surprised to say the least. Anael was a good learner, but AJ thought that Brian was wasting his time. Anael was a manager, not a dancer. He scoffed as he gulped down some of the harder liquor he kept in his water bottle. He loved the way the boys just cringed at him when he opened the bottle. They knew he had a problem, but never stepped up to admit the fact. So, AJ just continued in his destructive habits. He hadn’t a worry in the world. He felt like he could live forever. Nothing was stopping him from doing what he wanted.

“Brian! No!” Anael laughed as he did a back flip with ease. AJ watched her sapphire eyes grow wide with appreciation. He found himself drawn to her melodic laugh. Her southern voice sounded like thick golden honey. The way she tossed her thick blonde curls from side to side made AJ yearn for something more. AJ even found the way she bit her bottom lip with her teeth when she was nervous enticing. There was something so enchanting about her.

‘Knock it off, McLean,’ he found himself yelling in his brain. ‘She’s nothing but a righteous girl, and that’s obvious. She’s always wearing white “ the color of virgins! She probably wouldn’t even wear a mini-skirt without parental supervision. She also probably wears a metal chastity belt under her clothing with a dead bolt lock molded on! The girl is not for you. She’s not a rebel. She would never be your kind! Cut out the mushy shit and get on with some hard-core babes. At least they give out the shit you want!’

AJ found himself laughing as he finally moved away from the back seats of the venue. Anael was nothing but a wolf in sheep’s clothing. He made a vow to leave her alone, but not without a catch. He could manipulate her in the way he wanted. He could make her beg for hi, and he would. He vowed at that very instant to make her beg for his body. She would crave for his attention. She would come running to his room at night. Until then, he had plenty of over-aged fans to keep him preoccupied.

“Hello, boys!” AJ called with a chuckle of amusement. He knew that he would be getting his usual lecture from Kevin. He was about an hour late for practice. He took a long drag from his cigarette as he stepped onto the stage. He watched all the guys’ eyes follow his moves. Each frowned with a look of disproval. AJ quickly shrugged it off. He didn’t give a damn about anybody, but himself. They didn’t care what he wanted, either. So why should he bother?

“You’re late,” Kevin told him with a monotone voice. He stood with his arms crossed over his broad chest and a scowl set firmly on his chiseled face. Anael and Brian stopped dancing as they watched AJ give Kevin a look of hilarity. The look only seemed to infuriate Kevin more. “This is our job, Alexander“”

“And you should respect it like any other job. We have an obligation to these sorts of events. There is no way that you should get to slack off why the rest of us work so hard to maintain our delicate balance,” AJ mimicked in a thick voice. He had memorized Kevin’s lecture word for word. “Damn, Kev. I know this shit already, and what makes you think that the hundredth lecture would actually MAKE me listen?”

“AJ!” Howie barked with frustration. Howie was the most quiet individual within this delicate situation. He didn’t want to step upon any toes, but it was to the point of no return. Howie found his heart aching and his head pounding with disturbance. His heart was drawing a very thin line of acceptance. “You can’t do this. I mean ” you could break up the group with this nonsense.”

“You can’t fire me,” AJ spat. He always found a wedge to drive between him and the boys. It was easier to distance himself from their ways. He didn’t need anyone but himself to survive. He learned that the day his father left. He knew the boys no longer cared about him, so he wouldn’t care for them. He knew the way they worked, and he used it to his own sour advantage.

“But I can,” Anael said, stepping forward and away from the boys. She wanted to make it clear that she had the power in the situation. She finally found a way to take her position. She watched AJ’s eyes grow bright in surprise as he removed his sunglasses with utter shock. He stepped to her, matching her height perfectly. She narrowed her sapphire eyes at him, praying for the reassurance of God. She didn’t know any other way to handle the situation. It was time to fight fire with fire. One step forward, and AJ would take one step back. She just needed God to help her with this fight.

“Excuse me?” AJ asked roughly.

“I can fire you,” Anael repeated.

“You wouldn’t dare,” he scoffed.

“Try me.”

“I think I will. You’re bluffing! I practically make up this whole fucking group! You would fall apart without me! There’s no way that you could survive this shit without my fucking presence! The fans adore me, and you fucking know it. Nick can’t hold up all of their tastes!” AJ spat in complete rage. “I MADE this group what it is! You really want to risk the group’s future on me being late for one damn practice?”

“Yes, it’s a bet I’m willing to make,“ Anael threatened.

“You’re bluffing,” AJ growled. Anael felt her bones quiver with fear as fire burned beneath his dark irises. She could smell the bitter taste of alcohol on his breath. She narrowed her eyes, wanting this to end. She could hear the light breathing of each man behind her, wondering what would happen next. No one dared to step up against AJ, and that was obvious. Anael was placed back onto the Earth’s atmosphere when AJ pushed his chest against her. “Try it, Grace-Anne.”

“You either stay here, or forfeit a concert’s wages for the next month’s worth of concerts. If you still leave, I will cancel the show, disappointing thousands of fans. I will make sure that you are held personally responsible for the shutdown of this concert if you do not stay. The press will know, and your cover will be blown,” Anael said, reaching in and taking her cell phone from her pocket. She flipped it open, immediately letting her delicate fingers rest on the proper buttons. “Your call, Mr. McLean.”

Everything went completely silent. Anael could feel the tension thicken heavily within the room. Nick’s eyes shifted between the two opponents. Howie took a sharp intake of breath. Kevin was prepared to leap to the defense of Anael if it came to that. Anael’s stomach twirled with anticipation as her and AJ’s eyes met. He slowly opened his mouth as if to speak. Anael waited.

“Shut the fucking phone,” AJ hissed.

“Are you staying here?” she asked with surprise. She saw a small dent appear in his armor of anger and hate. Something had changed when she threatened him. Anael noted that money held a certain essence above AJ’s head. She found it amusing that he was so frightened of loosing money. It would probably be the only way to communicate with him for a while. She figured with a little coaxing, she might be able to get him to come to her.

“Why do you care?” he sneered.

“Because you are a part of this team.”

“To Hell with you.”

“Are you staying?” she asked again, ignoring his bold maneuver.

“What the fuck do you think?”

“I always said it was your move, Mr. McLean,” she replied sweetly.

“Fuck off, Miss High“and“Mighty,” AJ answered, walking back to the back of the stage. His shoulder briskly connected with hers, pushing her slightly off balance. Anael maintained her stance. AJ muttered a string of curses as he climbed onto the stage. He slammed his water bottle on the table and prepared to start his dance rehearsal. Anael’s body flushed with relief as the boys each shot her a look of pride. No one had been able to control AJ that way. She smiled, waving at them as she jumped down from the stage. The boys eagerly scurried to their dancing positions.

‘My wings are coming,’ she thought to herself with a glorified smile.