- Text Size +
Chapter Two: Deep Wounds


"Goddamnit! Stephanie Holly Baker! GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW, YOU'LL BE LATE FOR SCHOOL!" a voice roared up stairs, startling a young girl, who was in the process of pulling on a faded jean jumper over a pink Day-Glo t-shirt. The man bellowing was her tempermental father, who always started the morning with a cup of coffe generously flavored in either brandy or whiskey. Her mother was, as always, nowhere to be found. She made sure to leave before her husband awoke for her job at the airport cleaning planes. Slipping on her pink Barbie backpack, Stephanie took a deep breath and headed downstairs to the kitchen.

"Sorry, Daddy. I had to find my jumper for school--"

"Hurry up and eat your stinking breakfast. I don't want any of your stupid excuses," her father interrupted, already reeking of alcohol as he threw a plate of poptarts onto the table. She quickly pulled out a chair and sat down, picking up the hot food.

"Yes, Daddy. I'm sorry," she apologized again, quickly eating as to escape from his clutches. Maybe she would only get away without being a sharp slap or more insults.

"Pathetic for a second grader," he mumbled, pouring more amber liquid into his coffee cup before opening the morning paper.

"I'm not pathetic," Stephanie tried to defend herself, swallowing her breakfast.

"What did you say?" he asked quietly, looking up from the paper.

"I said I'm not pathetic--" she was silenced with a quick but fierce backhand from her father. Tears pooled into her eyes as she cupped her flaming cheek.

"Don't even think about crying, you brought that on yourself. Haven't you learned not to talk back?! Stupid wench," he growled, disappearing behind the paper. "Get your ugly ass out of here, I don't want to see you."

"Daddy--"

"I'll give you something to really cry about if you don't leave right now."

"Bye, Daddy," she stood up and ran out of the house, tears streaming down her cheeks as her father's insults ran through her battered mind. Every slap, every word and every glare broke her small heart into pieces. She finally stopped at the 'treehouse' she had built with her best friend Ana Lord so they could hide out, which was a small shack in the back of an alleyway. They had known each other since they were in diapers and were going through the same kind of pains at home, which is why they built the treehouse, to escape everything. Opening the door she immediately curled into a ball in the corner, sobbing loudly. "Everyone hates me..."

"Stephie? Are you in here?" a voice called as the door opened again. Stephanie looked up to see Ana walk into the treehouse and over to her. She quickly wiped away the tears, sitting up. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing..."

"He hit you, huh?"

"No--"

"Uh-huh, he did," Ana disagreed, frowning openly.

"Don't tell, Ana. I was being bad and made Daddy mad."

"Stephie--"

"Please, Ana. Best friends keep secrets, right?"

"Yeah..."

"Thank you."

"Welcome... we've got to get going or we'll miss the bus," Ana replied, helping Stephanie stand up.

"Okay. Can I come over for dinner again?"

"Momma says you can whenever you want. Remember?"

"I know..."

"Come on, let's go." the girls linked hands and left the treehouse, heading towards the bus stop for their first day of second grade.

~*~*~*~

"Don't even give me that 'I'm not hungry' bullshit. You haven't eaten in the past three days!" Ana disagreed with a frown as she and Stephanie sat down at a table in the cafeteria. The other ninth graders were quickly filling in the large room, talking obnoxiously loud and throwing food. The last day of school was creeping up on them and soon it would be time for high school.

"Ana, please. I don't want to fight," Stephanie sighed heavily, opening her water bottle. She took a long swig, killing the painful cramps in her stomach as screams for food echoed through her body were drowned. "I'm really not hungry."

"Just because your dad calls you fat doesn't mean it's true," Ana snapped back, picking at the lasagna on her styrofoam tray. She watched Stephanie go on starving stretches that lasted weeks until she finally gave in and ate some food. Then the cycle would start all over again. Stephanie was starting to look more like their health class skeleton, MT, instead of her best friend. Her skin was pale with dark circles under her weary blue-gray eyes that were partly hidden by glasses. "You were never fat!"

"You know, I never get on your case when there's a day you don't feel hungry. Can't you do the same for me?" Stephanie changed the subject, drinking more water. Sure, her father constantly poked at some fat on her sides and said she needed to lose weight. But he was right, so who was she to disagree?

"That's because I eat like normal people. There's never been a day when I'm not hungry," Ana rolled her eyes in annoyance, holding a sporkful of food in front of Stephanie's mouth. "Just have a bite, Cocci. Please?"

"CT, no way. You're going to make me puke," Stephanie shook her head, pushing away the food. Scars from her past of cutting with a razor were revealed, but Ana refused to notice them. Stephanie promised she had stopped and Ana believed her.

"I swear to God, if you don't eat I'll--"

"You'll what? Tell my mom? She doesn't give a shit about me; she never has. My dad is the one who tells me I need to lose weight, so you won't get far with him, either. You really have no room to talk because when your dad is in town, you come to my house with bruises and you refuse to eat--"

"Don't even, Cocci. This isn't the same thing."

"How isn't it the same thing? Just because you have that hardass front doesn't mean you don't hurt inside."

"I don't hurt on the inside... he doesn't do anything to me--"

"Yeah, right. Black eyes and fat lips come out of thin air now? Oh, wait, that's the door, right? Your lies can only go so far with everyone else and I can see right through them. I know your real dad hurts you."

"Cocci, don't..." Ana trailed off, biting her bottom lip as her eyes actually brimmed with tears. Talking about the insults and injuries her biological father gave her was something she hid deep in her heart. Unless it was Stephanie and she could dig them out easily. It was just easier to think it never happened and not let any man get close to her besides her step-father and little brother.

"CT... I just want you to understand that we both cope in different ways... I'm dependent on you when I'm in pain. You, on the other hand pretend that nothing is wrong and act tough all the time."

"I don't want to talk about this anymore. But you need to start eating again," Ana quickly changed the subject, shaking up her milk before opening it.

"And what if I don't want to eat?"

"Then I'll tell Dr. Lipetzski!"

"What the Hell is our prinicipal going to do? Tie me down and shove food down my throat?" Stephanie groaned, chugging down more water. She wasn't stupid, she knew starving herself wasn't healthy. But it was the quickest way to lose weight and escape the ridicule of her father and other classmates. "Just let me do what I want, okay?"

"It's not okay! Cocci, you're killing yourself!"

"Then at least I'll be skinny when I die--"

"Which will hopefully be soon so we don't have to look at your fat ass anymore!" a voice sneered, interrupting the heated conversation. The girls turned to see it was none other than the most popular girl in their ninth grade class, Holly Turnquist. "Starving yourself, Baker? That's good! Just a few more weeks and you'll really resemble MT."

"Holly, don't you have some random guy to fuck during lunch today or did they all realize how diseased you are?" Ana countered, standing up from her spot. She was at least three inches taller than Holly and was on the school's football team. "Get out of here and leave Steph alone."

"Oh, and you're going to make me? I'm so scared of the dyke who plays football!" Holly mocked, flailing her hands as her cronies nearby snickered. Stephanie's thin face turned beet red as she tugged on Ana's t-shirt.

"Ana, stop. You're just stooping to her level--"

"My level is way above either of yours, so back the fuck off. You don't see anyone wishing me dead like you," Holly turned and swiftly smacked Stephanie across the cheek. "Do you, Baker? Nope, because I deserve to live!"

"You fucking bitch!" Ana growled, lunching for Holly.

"Ana, no!" Stephanie attempted to stand up and pull Ana away when a force pushed her from behind. She pitched forward, her head connecting with the edge of the table bench. Pain exploded in front of her eyes as she continued to fall onto the floor, everything going black.

"Break it up! I SAID BREAK IT UP!" A lunch supervisor shouted through a bull horn as other separated Holly and Ana. The students were still laughing and cheering as Stephanie lay under the bench, knocked unconscious. Blood from her head wound pooled around her thinning blonde locks.

"She started the whole fucking thing! She was saying that Stephanie needed to die and-- Cocci! Where's Cocci?!" Ana pulled away from the adult's grasp and ran to their table. She gasped as she found her best friend on the floor. "Who did this?! Who pushed her?!"

"I did and I'll do it again," Holly's boyfriend, Tony, smirked proudly, crossing his arms over his narrow chest. Being the most popular guy dating the most popular girl didn't always promise common sense. Another supervisor suddenly clamped a hand on his shoulder and he gulped. "I mean, I didn't do it!"

"Too late, Rosario. I heard it all," a rough voice answered, looking up at his co-workers. "Take Roasrio and Turnquist to the principal's office. I'll bring Baker and Lord to the health office."

"Why isn't she going to see Lipetzski?! She tried to punch me, Vruno!" Holly screeched, pointing viciously at Ana.

"There's a difference between starting a fight and protecting a friend," Vruno replied, nodding to the woman with the bull horn. "Bring them to the office, Mary."

"This isn't fair! BAKER, YOU'RE GOING TO GET IT!" Holly fought against Mary's grasp as she and her boyfriend were dragged to recieve their punishment.

"You're going to be okay, Cocci. Just hang in there," Ana soothed, running her fingers across Stephanie's forehead as Vruno picked up her limp body and they walked out of the cafeteria.

~*~*~*~

"GRADUATION! HELL FUCKING YES, TOMORROW'S GRADUATION!" Stephanie shouted at the top of her lungs. She was standing outside on the secluded porch at Ana's house, a Long Island Ice Tea in hand. Ana and the entire football team had decided to throw a party the night before graduation which of course included alcohol. The house was thumping with bass and rock music. "GOOD-BYE TO ALL THE BITCHES AND ASSHOLES AT TARTAN HIGH SCHOOL!"

"You could wake up the dead with the way you're screaming," a voice chuckled.

"Holy shit!" Stephanie turned around to see it was one of her few aquaitences from DECA, Ryan Claughtery. "You scared me!"

"Sorry, my bad. I guess you're a little excited about Graduation tomorrow?" Ryan chuckled, walking over to help her down from the chair she had decided to stand on while she shouted.

"Excited would be an understatement," Stephanie giggled, swallowing half her drink quickly. She burped loudly and covered her mouth with another giggle. "Excuse me! I think I'm a little drunk right now."

"A little drunk would be an understatement," Ryan mocked her, causing them both to laugh. He reached out and cupped her cheek. "You know, I'm really glad that you got help for your anorexia. You're too pretty to be that skinny like you were in tenth grade."

"Ryan? What are you doing?" Stephanie whispered, her back tensing at the gentle touch. With all the smacks and punches she had recieved over her lifetime, a touch like his was something she never experienced unless it was from Ana.

"Am I making you nervous?"

"Yes... no! I mean... I don't know--"

"I really regret not stopping Tony before he pushed you that day... That was really low of him," Ryan interrupted, his fingers now trailing over her nose and jawline. He reached with his other hand and placed it on her bare shoulder. Ana had conned her into wearing a revealing red tube top and tight fitting black flares.

"Not a big deal. Just got a scar on a temple from it," Stephanie mumbled, looking down at her feet to get away from his piercing eyes.

"Hey, there's no need to be shy. It's just me, Ryan. Come on, look at me," he called softly, placing his hand under her chin. She brought her head back up and their eyes locked. "There's a girl."

"Ryan... I... you... why... how?"

"Shh... no need to talk," he leaned in and softly pressed his lips against hers. He heard her sigh and wrap her arms around his neck. Everything was going absolutely perfect and soon he would be getting what he wanted.

"Ryan... wait," Stephanie broke the kiss, panting slightly. Her heart was beating fast as excitement with a twinge of fear. Something didn't feel right to her, but she couldn't put a finger on it.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I've just never had someone kiss me like that. Why didn't you say anything sooner?"

"I was nervous," Ryan shrugged his shoulders, looking bashful. "I didn't want you to turn me down."

"I would never turn--"

"I had been hoping you wouldn't."

"Ryan, I just... I don't know, it makes me nervous," Stephanie stumbled to explain, wringing her hands.

"Being nervous is perfectly normal, Steph. It's okay."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Don't you trust me?" he replied, slightly aggravated by her hesitance.

"I do, but--"

"Less talk, more kissing. Come on, Baby. You know you want to," Ryan almost demanded, crushing their lips together. Stephanie was shocked at the force which was different from moments earlier but she unwillingly went with it. He grasped her hips and pulled her close to him, his lips now latched onto the soft skin of her neck. He sucked and bit hard, causing her to yelp in pain. "Be quiet, do you want someone to walk in on us?"

"No..." Stephanie whimpered as he pushed her towards the comfy bed that Ana had brought out onto the porch so the girls could tan. He immediately climbed on top of her, his hands pulling on the hem of her shirt before ripping it in two. "Ryan, don't! That's too far!"

"Shut up! You want this just as much as I do!" Ryan growled, quickly punching her in the jaw and stomach to weaken her protests. He unzipped her jeans and pulled them down as she thrashed and cried out. Frustrated, he pushed a hand against her throat and cut off her voice. "Shut up! Stupid bitch!"

"Ryan--" she croaked, clawing at his hand to release her as she heard him undo his jeans and belt buckle. "N-NO!"

"You're going to cooperate and do whatever the fuck I say, you stinking whore! Now be quiet--"

"What the HELL is going on here?! GET OFF HER!"

"This is none of your business, Lord!"

"I don't fucking think so! That's my Cocci, now get off her!"

"She wants this--'

"CT... help me..." Stephanie tried to shout, but Ryan's hand was still at her throat. She attempted to sit up and he immediately punched her again.

"LEAVE HER ALONE!" Ana bellowed, launching herself onto Ryan's back. She grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and yanked as hard as she could. He fell backwards onto his backside, the patio actually thudding under his weight and Ana's strength. "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE!"

"She brought it all on herself, just like Holly said she would--"

"What's the trouble out here, Lord? We could hear you all the way in the basement," James, the captain of the football team, questioned as he and a couple of other players walked out onto the deck. His eyes grew wide at the sight of Stephanie, who was sobbing and bleeding on the tanning mattress. "Holy--"

"Get this piece of shit out of here. He almost raped Cocci," Ana interrupted, launching Ryan towards her fellow teammates. He looked at the guys who were even larger and probably stronger than him and tried to run around them. But they quickly grabbed his arms, pulling them up behind his back and walking him into the house. "And call the police--"

"No! No police, CT. I'm fine," Stephanie choked out, attempting to cover herself with the torn shirt. Tears came to her eyes, mentally kicking herself for being so stupid as to think someone would really want to do anything but hurt her.

"Cocci, he tried to fucking rape you! And Turnquist was a part of it! That's called attempted rape and conspiracy," Ana made Stephanie look into her blue-green eyes and sighed heavily. "You can't let them get away with this."

"It's my choice. I don't want to call the police, okay? Please, don't push me into anything... haven't I been through enough?" Stephanie sniffled, burying her bruised face into Ana's shoulder and sobbing loudly.

"You have been through enough and I wish you would put an end to it by calling the police," Ana wrapped her arms around the older girl, kissing the top of her head as she rocked them back and forth. Her heart panged with sorrow and guilt as she listened to her best friend break down right in front of her. If only she had checked on them sooner to make sure things were going alright, it might have been prevented.

"Nothing can make my life any better... it just gets worse... please, all I want now is to be held," Stephanie whispered, clutching onto the football jersey Ana had slipped on over her tank top to protect herself from the chilling Florida air.

"Then that's just what I'll do."