- Text Size +
Chapter 19 – I Love You

"You are absolutely going to have a heart attack, Kitty," AJ promised with a bold streak of pride, cupping his hands over Kitra's eyes as the elevator doors finally opened. After an entire day in the tour bus, they had finally arrived at their first destination. A brief set up of the hotel rooms was in order, then they would need to leave immediately for the venue. Adrenaline raced through AJ's body as he thought of the first show of the new tour. Getting on the stage always seemed to set his mind at ease. For the longest time, that's the only place where he felt comfortable. Yet, now with Kitra by his side, AJ was able to face reality on and off the stage. He owed her the world and intended to make good on the deal.

"A heart attack over a hotel room? That would make an interesting obituary..." Kitra trailed off with a giggle, though she was just as anxious to see where they would be staying.

"Maybe a heart attack over what we'll do in the hotel room?" AJ seductively suggested, planting a kiss against the side of her neck while leaning to slide the appropriate card through the locking mechanism of his room. He could already hear the various sounds of his band mates settling in, knowing he'd have time for some fun.

"Okay, that is something to seriously think about," Kitra licked her lips while AJ led her into the lush room.

"That's what I thought, too," AJ decided, easing his hands away from her eyes so she could take in the full glory of the room. Since their rise to stardom, the boys were now allowed to have their own private rooms on the top floor of the hotel, which joined into a suite with their own kitchenette and living room. To say the room was fancy would have been a vast understatement. It was larger than any apartment the girls had ever had in their lifetime, completely furnished with rich, wooden furniture and creamy layers of soft fabric. The atmosphere was warm and inviting as their feet sunk into the rich carpet, their luggage piled neatly at the doorway. There was even a veranda attached to the side so they could view the in-door and out-door pool.

"Oh... my... God..." Kitra whispered, placing a hand over her chest as she scanned the room over and over. Surely this was the wrong place.

"Do you need mouth to mouth?"

"Will you be giving it?"

"Like I would let another guy have an opportunity with you," AJ huffed as Kitra gingerly stepped into the room, brushing her fingertips over the smoothly polished surfaces of the room in sheer amazement.

"This just... you... and I... in this room?" Kitra stopped at the veranda, gazing out towards the city limits. It was so hard to believe she was actually there.

"This is our room," AJ confirmed with a raspy laugh. "And they only get better as we keep touring."

"Alex, I... this just seems so surreal. It's so beautiful."

"So you like it?"

"Like it? I love it! It's amazing."

"You really deserve the best, Kitty," AJ promised, rifling through their stacked luggage to locate a specific suitcase. Practically ripping it open, he offered her a package. He had gone to considerable thought in formulating the perfect gift for her, hoping she'd enjoy it. He knew from their late night talks that she hadn't been lavished with gifts at all during her lifetime and she loved them. So, he couldn't resist.

"What's this?" Kitra took it into her hands and smiled brightly. She always wanted to be spoiled but never had the chance until she met AJ. It was a nice change of pace in her life. "Pretty soon I'm going to need a huge closet like yours to keep all my stuff."

"I'll take that into consideration," AJ promised as she hopped onto the bed, eagerly tearing into the pretty paper. He truly adored the way her stormy blue eyes lit into the crisp shade of a beautiful island's lagoon as the excitement built in her system. And when she revealed a large tablet and series of expensive artistic tools, he decided to speak. "When we get to the venue, you pretty much have a boring wait until everything is set up and the show is almost ready to begin. So, I thought I'd buy you some supplies so you could work on your clothing designs. I've seen you doodle on napkins during dress rehearsals, I think it could really turn into something. Maybe by the time we're home, you'll have enough to create a line to show off..."

"Alex... I've always wanted something like this for God knows how long. They're perfect for my sketches," Kitra's mind clicked and she looked back up at AJ in surprise. "A line? All my own? You mean, like a clothing line?"

"You're damn good at what you do. The gowns for More Than That, they're your honest to God own creation. Pure scratch and I couldn't have imagined anything more beautiful. So, when we get back, I'm going to franchise your work. Your line. It's something we can do together."

"You're too damn much for me sometimes," Kitra sniffled, looking down at her new supplies. "You know that, right?"

"And you deserve it, you know that, right?" AJ retorted simply, leaning down to kiss the top of her head.

"I guess once in awhile I need a little reminder," Kitra cupped his face in her hands and brought them together for a simple kiss.

"I'll always be here to remind you," he promised, affectionately rubbing her shoulders as he accepted the kiss. His words were simplistic, but the meaning ran so deeply in his heart that he hoped she understood. He needed her more than he had needed anyone in his entire life. She gave him the will to quit drugs and alcohol. She gave him the will to live without depression.

"Yeah? Do you promise?" Kitra whispered, gazing deep into his chocolate brown eyes that were no longer hidden behind sunglasses to block the redness that came from the drugs and hangovers.

"With everything I finally feel in here," AJ promised, holding their hands against his heart.

Kitra felt a breath catch within her throat and it hardened as a chill ran down her spine. It took only a moment for her to realize the implications of his words and their hands on his practically pounding heart. She recognized the look in his eyes, the same look that reflected in her heart that she drown with her dwindling stash of deadly powders. Only, before she could muster a reply, there was a sharp pounding on AJ's door, causing her to jump.

AJ groaned with a small laugh, "That'd be their way of saying to get my ass in motion. Sorry to pull you away from paradise, Sweet Thing."

"Th-that's okay. Work before pleasure," Kitra managed to offer a smile as they both stood.

"And we'll definitely soak up the pleasure after the first show," AJ promised, leaning down to kiss her deeply.

"Mmm, I can't wait," Kitra found herself moaning as someone knocked again. "They're not very patient, are they?"

"Neither are you," AJ chuckled, tugging on her hand. "C'mon, I don't need Kevin chewing on my ass."

"Go on ahead of me, I got to freshen my make-up. I'll be right out," Kitra replied, kissing his hand before letting go.

"Don't take too long, I might miss you," AJ sweetly replied, smiling before ducking out of the hotel room to catch up with his band mates.

"Oh, finally," Kitra breathed in relief as she rushed into the bathroom and locked the door behind her.

She fumbled with her purse, dumping the entire contents into the large sink. She wasted no time with those meaningless items, needing to rid herself of the sting. Her emotions were growing too strong and she refused to become a victim again. She ached for a quick rush that made her forget. Hurriedly pulling away the layer of fabric lining the inside of her purse, she snuck her hand into the secret pocket to withdraw two small folded pieces of paper. Just a little rush to help her survive. Just a little.

*~*~*


Brian whistled to himself as he exited the private dressing room, tugging apprehensively on the leather trench coat adorning his body. For the start of the show, Kitra had suggested the boys wear black and blue to signify their new album. Only, the black had turned into leather, causing Brian some slight discomfort. He had just finished whining to his wife, who had simply laughed at his dismay. So, Brian decided it might be best to warm up and break out the leather. And, those thoughts slightly intermixed as his noticed Howie an open area flooded with their costumes, crew, and various equipment needed to proceed with the show. He couldn't help but wonder what had happened last night between his best friends. So, Howie was stretching his already limber body as Brian approached with a broad comment, "Do you feel like a giant condom? Or is it just me?"

"Say what?" Howie stopped stretching and burst out laughing at his band mate's comment. Brian just had that timing where something so random turned into something hilarious.
"Do you feel like a giant condom or is it just me?" Brian repeated with a wickedly sheepish grin. He motioned toward Howie's leather trench coat layered over his electric blue t-shirt depicting a silver eagle which was messily tucked into his leather pants. "This stuff is just not too liberating..."

"Unlike a condom, you can break in leather. By the time we do our third concert, it won't be as bad," Howie shook his head, trying to control his laughter. He reached over and took a long drink of water. "I just hope you didn't call Leigh and tell her that."
Brian's face immediately fell, "What makes you think I did that?"

"Because I know you that well."

"I needed some sympathy, okay?"

"You actually said it to your WIFE?!" Howie began rolling on the floor, laughing hysterically. The giddiness always came out right before a concert and Brian wasn't helping.

"Hah-hah-hah," Brian announced dryly, stepping down on his friend's stomach to stop him from rolling. "You're not that funny."

"I'm not the one who told my wife I felt like a giant c-c-condom!"

"And I'm not the idiot rolling around on the floor, laughing like a little girl," Brian commented, attempting to keep Howie still. But it proved useless as the man broke free and Brian landed on his backside. His light blue eyes widened in surprise as Howie released a tighter fit of laughter. "You're in a really good mood..."

"I always get like this before a concert, you know that--"

"Not this giddy..." Brian emphasized with a shake of his head as his lips curved into a devilish grin. "Gracie-Babe told you, didn't she?"

"Told me? Told me what?"

"Don't play dumb," Brian laughed as he held his hand out to help Howie upward.

"I have no idea what the Hell you're talking about," Howie raised an eyebrow as he stood.

Brian quickly glanced sideways, locating Grace easily as she spoke with Kevin. And, when he looked back to meet Howie's gaze, his smile instantly faded as his cheeks blushed with natural embarrassment. The vacant look in Howie's eyes said it all, causing Brian to groan inward. He had just hoped with all his might that Grace would have mustered the courage. "Damnit..."

"Brian, what did you do now?" Howie questioned with the same tone that Leighanne, his mother and Kevin used quite often when he assumed too much.

"Nothing--"

"Bullshit."

"It was something that Grace was supposed to do--"

"Supposed to do? You better spill right now--"

Brian whimpered pathetically, "I can't."

"You can't? What do you mean, you can't?"

"I kind of promised..."

"You little--"

"You're telling me nothing fantastic happened between you and Gracie last night? She didn't say anything? She didn't show you anything?"

"We talked about things and she gave me a massage... what else was supposed to happen?"

"Things?"

"...Corinne... and what she did to me."

Brian studied Howie for a moment with confusion, shaking his head with disbelief. Not knowing about the rape, he just assumed Howie meant the horrifying break-up. "Damnit, D..."

"What did I do now?"

"Not you, I mean her. She's such a brat..."

"What do you mean?" Howie groaned with annoyance.

"I can't say anything, I promised her--"

"I'm one of your best friends!"

"So is she--"

"Are you actually going to keep this from me?"

"I was kind of hoping..." Brian trailed as Howie backed him into the wall, causing him to hold his hands up in defense.

"Do you really want to finish that sentence?"

"Howie..."

"Brian, please."

"What?"

"Tell me."

"I can't! I promised!"

"Do you realize how hard this relationship is? I need something to go on... So I know that I'm really doing the right thing by her. I love her so much, I just--"

"Need to tell her that."

"Brian--"

"You know she doesn't have the courage to talk about her feelings just yet. You need to take the first step."

"But--"

"You asked for my help, D."

"I know, but--"

"That's all I can tell you--"

"There has got to be something more--"

"Howie... Honestly," Brian sighed, glancing around carefully to make sure no one would overhear. He felt badly for the man. After all, Howie was trying so damn hard to make Grace understand love and it was easy to see that he thought he was failing. Brian wanted to instill hope, to let Howie know that things were going wonderfully. That he could relax around Grace, finally. But, he didn't want to betray Grace's trust. "...She needs to hear that you love her. She hears everyone else telling her that you love her, but you haven't said it directly to her. I think that confuses her the most... Other than that, she enjoys you so much, Howie. You're all she can talk about once you get past her walls."

"Really?"

"Well, of course. You just need to tell her."

"Thanks, Brian."

"Oh, and that journal she's always scribbling in..."

"Yeah?"

"She let me read some of the stuff in it and, God, it's amazing..."

"What does she write?"

"Anything that comes to her mind really. Poems, short stories, even some doodles. But, her lyrics..."

"She writes songs?" Howie murmured, glancing over at Grace for a moment who was still talking to Kevin.

"Beautiful and powerful lyrics," Brian confirmed. "Some of the newer ones are about you."

"Me?"

"You," Brian confirmed, noticing that Kevin had finally disappeared from Grace's side. She looked somewhat lost for a moment, finally seeking out a mirror to examine her outfit. Only, the look in her emerald eyes was unmistakable as she wrung her hands tightly together. She was frightfully nervous. "And that's exactly who she probably needs right now."

"Me?" Howie repeated again, following Brian's gaze. "Me... she looks so nervous."

"She looks like she's about to pass out."

"Gracie..."

"Talk to her. She needs you."

Howie wanted to protest, but Brian gave him a gentle shove in her direction. The budge seemed to propel his movement, causing him to walk toward her. She was oblivious to his approach, however, too concentrated on studying her appearance. Howie had to admit that Kitra had a flare for finding the most gorgeous clothing that seemed to explode within Grace's natural sex appeal. For the first set of songs, she had been given a pair of low riding leather pants complimented with a backless, silver halter top. Her usually curly strawberry locks had been ironed and fixed into a messy bun with several locks framing her delicate face. Her creamy peach skin glistened with the right amount of shimmer, complements of makeup, but she naturally glowed to Howie anyway. A small tinkling could be heard within the silence of her stare as the silver bracelets wrapped around her arms clanked together with her nervous hand movements.

"Why did I ever try out? I can't do this in front of all those people. I'm going to screw up, get fired and fall on my ass," Grace muttered to herself, chewing on her bottom lip.

"An angel never falls during her graceful dance," Howie murmured, though his voice sounded like a gunshot in Grace's ears. He winced as she whirled around in shock, almost falling backward into the large mirror. He quickly reached to grasp her shoulders, saving her from what would have been a bloody fall. "Gracie, are you okay?"

"I... Holy shit," Grace wheezed, her nerves far too frazzled as she trembled within Howie's grasp. She was terrified as the chants for the boys began to grow louder than before while thousands of fans filtered into their seats. She had never had such a large crowd watch her before and barely had the self esteem to realize she would dazzle them.

"Take a deep breath and calm down. You're going to make yourself pass out," Howie began rubbing her bare shoulders.

"I don't remember how to do that..." Grace whispered softly, her emerald eyes still widened with great apprehension. She clasped her hands tightly over her exposed abdomen, feeling the coolness of her belly button ring with the dangling fairy charm. But the cold did nothing to soothe her as she studied Howie's dark eyes, thankful he had found her.

"Baby..." Howie chided softly. "It's like normal breathing, only longer, and remember it's continuous..."

"I don't know what made me think I could do this," she confessed, tapping her hands nervously against her trim waist. "Not once have I danced in front of thousands. Just a couple dozen drunken guys who just wanted to see my skin instead of how I moved... Not that anyone will be watching me here, but I don't want to disappoint you and--"

"You're not going to disappoint me because you're going to do everything perfect, I promise. You're a fantastic dancer and I have so much faith in you," Howie kissed her softly as to not disturb her make-up.

Grace frowned, not too convinced by Howie's sweet kiss. "You have too much faith."

"There's no such thing."

"Stranger--"

"You can do it, Gracie."

"I'm scared."

"It's okay to be scared. You just can't let it control you," Howie framed her face with his hands so he could look into her eyes.

"Stranger..."

"You're going to be fine, Gracie. Trust me, alright?"

Grace carefully moistened her bottom lip, wrapping her hands delicately around his wrists as he continued to cup her face. "I trust you."

"Good," he finally smiled as they kissed again.

"I'm starting to think you might be my Knight in Shining Armor. You keep on rescuing me..."

"And I'll always rescue you," Howie vowed, rubbing their noses together in an Eskimo kiss.

Grace actually giggled in surprise, "Howie!"

"What?" he chuckled, doing it once more.

"That tickles!" she answered, attempting to pull away.

"Well it got you giggling, so get back here!" he pulled her closer to prevent an escape.
"That was your goal?" she guessed, her cheeks flushing a soft crimson as her arms curled safely around his neck, knowing there would be no escape.

"Laughing always helps me relax; I thought it would help you, too."

"Relaxing is not part of my vocabulary right now."

"Gracie."

"I'm trying?"

"You're going to be great."

"We'll find out soon enough..." Grace trailed, stepping closer into his embrace if it even seemed possible at that point. "But shouldn't you be with the boys instead of conversing with a backup?"

"Ahem. It's called conversing with my girlfriend," Howie corrected softly.

"Your girlfriend..."

"That's what you are, right?"

"Yes--"

"Alright, lovebirds. I hate to break this up, but we've all got to warm-up," Kevin spoke up, breaking the sentimental moment.

"That means I have to go play with other boys," Grace attempted to tease, knowing she'd miss Howie's arms throughout the two hour show.

"You're not funny," Howie teased back, ticking her nose with his.

"Howie," she giggled, attempting to scowl.

"You can't do an angry look," he chuckled, kissing her again as they parted to practice.

*~*~*


Kitra had to smile as she weaved through the barrage of female dancers hurriedly pulling on their gowns for the More Than That routine, wanting to locate her best friend. The boys were currently singing All I Have to Give, so it gave the girls a chance to perfect themselves. Only, Grace looked completely baffled as she flipped through her rack of costumes, obviously not able to locate her costume. The nervous energy that had dissipated once she stepped onto the stage now reappeared with a strong wave that looked as if it might drown the young girl. She repeatedly continued to flip through her outfits, not understanding how she could miss something so important. Kitra had to laugh softly, already holding the gown in her hands. She had wanted to surprise her best friend.

"Racie, what's wrong?"

"I'm a complete idiot!" Grace groaned inwardly, immediately whipping around to face her best friend. Her emerald eyes were slightly teary with frustration, not understanding how it could have just disappeared. "I lost my costume..."

"You lost your costume? How can that happen?"

"I-I don't know. I thought it would be here with everyone else's and... and... Kit, I can't find--"

"Your costume," Kitra interrupted, holding the beautiful fabric up for Grace to see.
Grace blanked as she studied the beautiful dress that had been presented to her as if she were Cinderella. It had to have been one of the most beautiful creations Kitra had ever designed. It was a long dress with a delicate empire waist falling into a handkerchief style skirting with a double layer of light chiffon to give the appearance of elegant gliding. The silk fabric was the lightest shade of lavender to compliment her light peach complexion. It was beautiful and Grace had never owned something so elegant.
"That's not mine..."

"Oh yes it is. I had to fix yours after Draeger ripped it, remember? I just made some more additional touches," Kitra laughed again, pushing the dress into Grace's hands. "Now go change!"

"Mine was green--"

"Was. Now it's lavender. Stop arguing and change, you don't have a lot of time left!"
Grace looked like she might argue, but Kitra pushed her in the direction of the changing area. She seemed to follow through with the motions, taking the gown with her. Kitra had to laugh as the other girls came fluttering by, bending down to fix and prep the girls. Then the boys came flooding into the changing area, hurriedly throwing on their next costumes as a cute video was shown to give the performers a small break. Kitra seemed lost in her own world till AJ bent to deliver a quick, sweaty kiss to her neck while throwing on his elegant black suite. "Did you give her the gown?"

"Baby! You scared me," Kitra gasped softly, turning to see AJ right next to her.

"Sorry. Did you give it to her?"

"Yes and she didn't think it was her dress. I swear, she would have argued about it until the concert was over."

"She's a sweetheart," AJ chuckled, pressing another kiss to the side of Kitra's face. "And you were a sweetheart to do it for her."

"She's my Racie. I would do anything for her--"

"MY COSTUME DOESN'T FIT!" Corinne's voice suddenly shrieked, interrupting the entire conversation as she rushed up to Kitra with a accusatory finger launched into the younger woman's face. She was seething with absolute anger as the dress hung around her upper thighs, unable to even pull it up over her thicker waist. Grace was tiny compared to all the other dancers, so Kitra just fixed the hem to torture Corinne. "What the fuck did you do to it?!"

"One too many burgers at McDonalds, Corinne?" Howie asked simply as he stepped toward Kitra, allowing her to help tuck in his dress shirt.

"That bitch did something to my costume! I know she did!" Corinne roared, her pointed finger turning into a balled up fist. Kitra paid no attention to the furious woman, continuing to adjust Howie's shirt.

"Hey, it's not my fault that you keep gaining weight. Tima always tells you to keep your ass out of buffets--"

"What's the problem?" Fatima suddenly asked, moving toward the sound of elevated voices. Only, no one had to answer her questions as she noticed Corinne's costume problem. Her dark eyes widened in shock at the revelation, narrowing her gaze at the mean spirited dancer. "Corinne... How many times have I told you that you need a strict diet?"
Corinne sputtered with disbelief, "Grace eats like a damn cow!"

"Racie is paper thin and needs to gain the weight that your constantly telling her she needs to lose! That's why she's been dropping weight like crazy!" Kitra suddenly burst with defense, refusing to let Corinne manipulate the situation. Grace would not be put on the sacrificial alter.

"Excuse me? You've been telling what to Grace? That's why she's been getting so thin!" Fatima clenched her jaw in hopes to keep her temper in control. So many times she had been tempted to strike Corinne but managed to keep it from happening. "When Grace joined the troupe she was the perfect body type! How dare you mentally abuse one of my dancers!"

Corinne's jaw fell in absolute disbelief as she glared critically at Kitra. "I don't say a damn thing to Grace!"

"You're a filthy liar!" Kitra snapped back.

"Kitty," AJ warned softly, reaching to draw her backward before Fatima could reprimand her, too. They have given Fatima enough information to hang Corinne, so they had to back off.

"Alex, she--"

"Let Tima handle this."

"I only see one solution. Kitra needs to let out some of the seams to make the dress fit," Fatima tugged on her long braids in pure frustration.

"There's not enough time. We have about three minutes left until the next song," Kevin disagreed with a shake of his head.

"Damnit," Fatima seethed.

"Why doesn't Racie-Cakes take over Corinne's solos?" AJ suddenly invited as Grace appeared in from the back. Her face furled into a look of purely innocent confusion as she glanced between the members of the small group. "She knows the entire dance by heart, including everyone's parts. She helps the girls when they get lost during rehearsals and there's enough space between her own solos and Corinne's solos to make it perfect."

"Huh?" Grace squeaked slightly as everyone's gazes shifted to her beautiful form, making her extremely uncomfortable.

"Racie could easily do it!" Kitra agreed with excitement.

"She does know all the routines..." Fatima trailed off in thought.

"Grace hasn't let us down yet and I don't think we have any other solution. She can do it," Kevin replied.

"Wait a damn minute! Don't I have a say in this?" Corinne objected, shooting a deadly glare towards Grace with the dress still stuck around her thighs.

"NO!" the boys, Kitra, and Fatima answered.

"I want you to give that costume to Kitra so she can properly fix it, then I want you to go straight back to the hotel and wait for me. We're starting you on a strict diet and having a conversation about what you've obviously been doing behind my back, but right now I want you out of my damn sight. You disgust me, Corinne," Fatima demanded.

"This is such fucking bullshit! I didn't do a damn thing to anyone!" Corinne tried to defend herself while pulling on her costume with no success. It was apparent the combination of Kitra hemming it too tight and the attempts to pull it up was making it hard to get off.

"Now, Corinne, or I might have to permanent suspend you from this tour," Fatima threatened.

"If I could get this damn dress off--"

"Corrine--" Fatima narrowed her dark black eyes as if she would like to strangle the older woman. She raised her hand as if she might do something, but some of the girls hurriedly pulled her away to help with the dress. Turning away from the sight, Fatima took several deep breaths before gazing at Grace. "Are you willing to take on the two parts? For me? Grace, we can't do this without you..."

"If you want me to..." Grace trailed softly.

"Want and need. Oh thank you, Grace! I know you won't let me down," Fatima hugged Grace tightly.

"I think you trust me too much," Grace squeaked with a shaky breath, accepting the hug and even the sloppy kiss.

"You've done nothing but the best so far. I have complete faith in you!" Fatima pulled away and ran off to spread the change of dancers.

"You are a conniving whore," Grace spoke freely to her best friend once Fatima was out of sight. It didn't take a genius to recognize her own gown on Corinne's somewhat plump form.

"Conniving, yes. Not a whore. I prefer the term 'bitch'," Kitra grinned triumphantly.

"You're absolutely horrible," Grace groaned softly as she pulled her long locks over her shoulder, preparing to show Kitra her back so the zipper could be secured. Only, she felt a pair of warm hands on her delicate skin and instantly recognized the smell of Howie's faint cologne. "Can you zip me up?"

"Of course," Howie complied and gently zipped up the dress. He kissed the nape of her neck with a smile as she turned around. "You've been doing great out there. I knew you would be."

"You're not supposed to be watching me."

"Too late."

"Stranger--"

Howie leaned toward her to whisper gently in her ear. "You enchant me, Gracie."

"Howie..." Grace murmured as she turned a dark shade of pink.

"You dance like an angel and I can't help but watch whenever I can."

"Start paying attention to your fans," Grace demanded lightly, though she couldn't help but be pleased with his words. It meant that he wanted her and only her. That she was his healthy obsession and no one else's.

"I do, but when you're onstage..."

Grace smiled softly with appreciation. "Thank you."

"No, thank you for trying out for the troupe," Howie brushed his lips against hers.
"And, as a thank you gift, I want you to go out and gouge yourself on pizza after this show," Kevin softly interrupted, though he hated to do so. It was the first time that Howie truly loved a woman in several years. The first time he was happy and Kevin hated to intrude on that.

"We could find a Pizza Hut together!" Kitra announced brightly. "You and me!"

"Pizza Hut? But it has all those carbs and fat--"

"Which is exactly what you need, just like Tima said. C'mon, Racie, how long has it been since we've had pizza?"

Grace attempted to pull away from Howie's grasp and divert the entire conversation. "I can't eat like that--"

"You can and you will. Gracie, it's scaring me to see how thin you're getting. It's not healthy. Please, will you start eating more? For me?" Howie asked in a slightly pleading tone.

"And when Kevin can't lift me because I'm as fat as a cow?"

"Gracie."

"Sorry..." Grace exhaled slowly, dropping her gaze.

"As soon as this is over with, you're going to get a shower, get comfy, and we're going out together. We need girl time anyway," Kitra decided, breaking all the tension.

"But Howie--"

"Howie is going to spend time with us guys," Brian and AJ spoke up with matching grins.

"And Brian's taken so you know we're not chick hunting," AJ added on.

Grace grimaced with a rueful smile as she glanced to Howie. "Do you mind?"

"I don't mind if you do."

"Howie--"

"Go and have fun with Kit tonight. Pig out, watch horror movies and chug Pepsi."

"You're too good to me."

"You deserve it."

"No, I--"

"BOYS! MORE THAN THAT! GET YOUR ASSES UP THERE!" Fatima shouted from an unknown location.

"Yeah, get your asses up there," Grace teased lightly, fixing Howie's tie gingerly.

"I'll see you up there," Howie grinned, kissing her once more before he and the guys ran towards the stage.

"I love you!" Grace called without thought, moving toward her position beneath the stage.

"Oh my God! Racie! You just said 'I love you'! To Howie!" Kitra jumped up and down with excitement.

"Huh?' Grace blanked in surprise, turning on her mechanical lift beneath the stage's trap door to see that Kitra had followed her.

"You just told Howie you loved him!"

"I..." Grace bit down hard on her glossed bottom lip with absolute horror, actually drawing a drop of blood. "...Oh God..."

"I'm so proud of you!"

Kitra may have been proud, but Grace was absolutely mortified. She hadn't meant to say a word about her adoration for him, but, somehow it had slipped without warning. She never could control her emotions when they overpowered her stoic nature. Her blood seemed to run cold as she tugged angrily at her straightened locks. "Did he hear?"

"I don't know--"

"That wasn't supposed to happen!"

"Why not?" Kitra raised an eyebrow in confusion. "You love him, there's nothing wrong with that. He should know because he loves you!"

"Not once has he told me that he loves me, Kitra. Not once. And I'm the idiot that just blurts it like some drunken fool? God, I'm an idiot."

"Just stop and think about this. You told him that love doesn't exist. That making love doesn't exist. Do you think he will say he loves you before he can get you to believe otherwise?"

"The music is cuing up, Kitra--"

"Just listen to the song they're singing. Howie's singing it to you."

"Kit--"

"Just listen," Kitra replied as Grace was lifted up towards the stage.