- Text Size +
Chapter 7 – Object of Affection

"Someone's in Heaven," Grace sang softly as she entered Kitra's guest room, watching the older woman sorting through a massive pile of new clothing. The younger girl smirked with knowing, collapsing on the large king bed as she just watched Kitra continue, having nothing else to really entertain her for the moment. AJ and Howie were in the kitchen cooking dinner and she had been shooed away because of her cast, though AJ had made sure to pinch her bottom discreetly before Howie could see. Grace tried to brush those thoughts away though, awed at how nonchalant Kitra was about the whole affair.

The shopping excursion with the men had turned very profitable in Kitra's sake, no only had she fulfilled one of her fantasies, but she also managed to get double the clothing from both men. She had no qualms about taking their money, especially when she thought about how in the long run their sex had cheated her. It was a quality of payback that Kitra could truly get used to. Having expensive pieces of clothing was almost as orgasmic as having sex with AJ in a public place... Almost...

"Well hello, look at all the clothes I got," Kitra began grinning as she made different piles of short skirts, short shorts and tight jeans along with tank tops, baby-doll shirts, t-shirts, and corsets. It had been very long since she had such nice clothes and didn't have to do much in order to get it. Free clothes and sex in a dressing room seemed pretty nice to Kitra.

"They are nice..." Grace approved, deciding not to mention the fact that most of her selection would be considered far skimpier than her waitress uniform or the other garments she used for prostitution. After all, this was Kitra. She was a wild child at heart. Nothing could persuade her from doing her heart's content. Not even Grace.

"The clothes you picked out where nice, too," Kitra commented, walking to hang some shirts in her walk-in closet.

"I really didn't want them," Grace sighed, turning on her back as she allowed her head to hang off the bed. Her long brassy blonde curls swept down to the floor like a silky curtain as she watched Kitra. Howie had nearly pulled off her arm as he looked around the clothing store for her. She had only made a few select choices, not wanting to spend his money. But, when Howie discovered her sizes, he snuck back to buy her a huge variety of clothing, setting them in her temporary room while she slept. She had yet to say anything to him, absolutely falling in love with the jean jacket he had selected for the colder Florida nights. It just didn't seem fair. "Besides, you hate how a dress. You call me a damn tomboy-bum all the time."

"Well you are a tomboy-bum, but who says you shouldn't get some decent brand clothes that last longer than a month?" Kitra quipped, coming back out to hang up the skirts.

"I didn't earn the money to pay for those clothes," Grace answered, carefully stretching her legs as to not aggravate the healing wounds. The stitches had already absorbed into her system, leaving just the left over scars that would hopefully fade.

"Can't you ever accept gifts?" Kitra groaned, rolling her eyes, taking the pants and shorts.

"He shouldn't be buying me gifts. He hardly knows me," Grace argued, rolling onto her flat stomach. She narrowed her bright green eyes toward her best friend, knowing this was the easiest fight she could hope to win today. Because, if she even started to have this conversation with Howie, he would find some way to cause her to cave. Like the way his dark brown eyes shimmered in the faintest of light... She was really starting to hate the man...

"Never look a gift horse in the mouth," Kitra quoted, giving Grace the same look she was receiving.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Take advantage of an opportunity that looks good."

"I would have been happier if he just propositioned me for sex like a regular asshole," Grace huffed, turning again to land on her back, staring at the ceiling. She immediately started to pick at the plaster incasing her right arm, hating that she was having such trouble trying to block all these new emotions. Sometimes she wished she could drown out the sorrows with alcohol and other recreational drugs like Kitra, but it only seemed to intensify the mess.

"Ooh my favorite subject - sex," Kitra laughed as she finally finished putting away all her clothes.

"And obviously your best subject," Grace groaned as Kitra tackled her on the bed, immediately straddling her younger friend's hips.

"I always got a-pluses," Kitra grinned, quickly pulling her pale blonde locks into a ponytail.

"Congratulations," Grace mimicked sarcastically.

“You'll be serious when I tell you all about my excursion with McLean yesterday in the dressing room--"

"You fucked McLean without being paid?" Grace interrupted, her emerald eyes widening with disbelief. "How long have you known this man... Maybe eight hours? Willingly giving yourself without any profit? This has got to be a new record for you, Kit."

"It may have been a record, but damn... I haven't been fucked like that since... well... ever!"

"Why? Because you didn't get paid for it?"

"No, because I didn't have to fake anything."

Grace rolled her emerald eyes as she covered her face, trying her hardest not to laugh at Kitra's antics. "God, you're horrible."

"I'm only stating the truth," Kitra leaned down and began tickling Grace's sides.

"Kit finally hit the big 'O' of orgasms!" Grace laughed feverishly, immediately squirming beneath her friend's hands. She was highly ticklish, her entire body sensitive to tender touches and caresses, not that she found them often. All she managed to acquire during life were hard slaps and rough back hands.

"Damn right and I'm hoping to get more soon! How do you think I got so many clothes? The big 'O' wasn't one-sided," Kitra giggled as she continued her torture.

"So, that's your plan?" Grace giggled. "Fuck the entire Backstreet Band for overwhelming riches and your chance for a private condo?"

"Hey, why not?!"

"Whatever floats your boats of O's," Grace gasped from within her giggles, attempting her best to get away. But things seemed extremely hopeless with her right arm disabled in a cast and sling.

"Oh, it floats my boats of O's alright. When he had me pinned against the mirror with my leg up--"

"Are you two having fun?" Howie suddenly announced amidst the conversation, leaning against the open doorway. His dark brows were raised with obvious interest as both girls glanced up from the floor in their somewhat awkward position. Grace's cheeks were a rosy pink from giggling as she heaved for ragged breaths, Kitra still pinning her tightly though they seemed to have fallen from the bed.

"Yeah..." Grace heaved, rubbing her good had across her feverish cheeks.

"Kitra was explaining her plan of Backstreet world domination..."

"One down, only four more to go," Kitra cackled with a humorous grin.

"Backstreet world domination?" Howie questioned in obvious confusion.

"She promises she can give you all the best orgasms of your life... Apparently, she already turned Mr. McLean into a quivering ball of human juices," Grace explained, continuing to wiggle in attempts to free herself.

"All I need is a half hour to make your dreams come true!" Kitra leaned back and allowed Grace to stand up.

"And she means it," Grace assured, glancing up at Howie in small daze as he extended his hand to her. She stared at it a moment, before realizing he was offering to help her up.

"Every word of it," Kitra grinned and stood up as Howie helped Grace. "So, what's up, Sweetheart?"

"Dinner's ready," Howie explained as he heard the chimes of his doorbell.

"I GOT IT!" AJ bellowed.

"Who the Hell..." Howie trailed off as he let the girls leave the room before following them.

"J! Thank God you finally invited me! I've been dying to see her since my last wet dream!"

Grace bit down on her bottom lip as she heard an echo of several voices, causing her body to tense dramatically. She yelped in surprise as Kitra immediately pushed past her to greet whoever had arrived. But, she hesitated greatly. She didn't know if AJ had cooked up some disgusting scheme that might cause the girls to get hurt. He had been quite forceful in his gestures with her and almost unbelievable when it came to Kitra. So, Grace turned quickly in attempts to get away, forgetting that Howie was behind her. "Shit!"

"You alright?" Howie raised an eyebrow as he stumbled back from her impact. "It's just Nick, he can't hurt a fly. He's just more idiotic and brass than AJ."

"I know Nick..." Grace assured, hoping no emotion passed from her angelic face. "I just wanted to get a baggy t-shirt or something--"

"Hey, D! Are you hiding the other girl in a closet for your personal use at night or what?! I want to see her!" Nick's voice interrupted.

"RACIE! YOUR FAVORITE CUSTOMER IS HERE!" Kitra giggled for emphasis.

"Told you that I knew him," Grace sighed, knowing there was no way she could even escape through a window. Nick was by far one of her best paying customers next to AJ. Only, he also loved to go back into the VIP room where he had a more personal encounter with Grace. It seemed each week he would stop by for the usual treatment, sometimes bringing AJ for double the pleasure. It didn't seem fair that she was being cornered, but she had to remind herself that life wasn't fair anyway. Tugging apprehensively on her form-fitting, gray wife-beater and scrub bottoms in attempt to conceal herself, she stepped out of the hallway.

"That's more like it," Nick grinned as he caught view of Grace.

"It's good to see you again," Grace replied as politely as possible, bracing herself for whatever. Nick was so unpredictable at the club that Grace's bodyguard was sometimes paid to look the other way.

"Mmm... definitely better than just good to see you," Nick licked his lips as he checked her out.

"Thanks..." Grace answered, smiling as sweetly as she possibly could. She glanced off toward the side to see Kitra standing next to AJ, gesturing toward Nick with obvious emphasis. Grace resisted the urge to scream, knowing what Kitra wanted. Grace had to play nice with Nick if she though she was getting her job back at Devil's. She swallowed her broken morals. "What? No touching? If that isn't a change from the usual Nick Carter charm..."

"Naw, I figured that for once I wouldn't tread on Howie's property for once unless I was given permission," Nick shrugged, offering his 'infamous' smile that made girls faint and scream his name.

"Right..." Grace trailed, shrugging her sleek shoulders.

"Why don't I introduce myself then since everyone else seems too acquainted," Brian suddenly announced, not liking the dark menacing look forming in Howie's eyes. He immediately cleared his throat and stepped toward Grace, making sure to push Nick away as he smiled and offered his hand. "I'm Brian."

"I'm Grace," she responded, gently shaking his hand.

"It's very nice to meet you."

"Likewise."

"Are you and D dating?" Nick voiced allowed as Howie attempted to usher everyone into the dining room. He couldn't keep his eyes away from Grace's alluring body, enjoying even the sleek way she had perched herself on a chair. He could only think about all the nights spent in Devil's Playground, knowing he would have to excuse himself to Howie's bathroom later on to release some tension. He was just hoping that maybe he could excuse Grace into the bathroom with him.

"Excuse me?" Grace whispered as she paled, Kitra burying her face against AJ's shoulder to keep from laughing hysterically.

"Are you and D dating? Because if he is and willing to share--"

"We're not dating," Grace interrupted with bewilderment, wondering what Howie had decided to grow so quiet since his friend's arrived.

"So that means you're available to--"

"No!" Howie burst.

"No what?" Nick questioned in obvious surprise. "She just said you two weren't dating. And we've been pretty hot together--"

"If she wants to, then fine. But don't you be forcing either of these girls into something they don't want. Neither work at Devil's anymore and they have their own minds."

"You're not working at Devil's anymore?" Nick hissed in shock toward Grace. His entire face crumpled into a pathetic pout, as if Howie had just crushed his beloved pet. Only, when Grace shrugged, he whined, "Then can you at least walk around topless so I won't miss you too much?"

"Sure, how about I just strip naked, lay on the table, and let you eat off me?" Grace quipped sarcastically, spearing a green bean aggressively with her fork. She didn't know which was more aggravating, the fact that Howie didn't claim to defend her as if he liked her or the fact he had decided without her that she wasn't going back to the Devil's Playground. It was so complicated.
"Nick stop being so disgusting," Howie snapped, reaching over to smack him upside the head. "You have no right to talk to a woman like that!"

"Excuse me!" Nick yelped in shock, immediately reaching to cover himself from any more blows. "She's the one that volunteered to strip naked for me! You're just fucking jealous that she won't for you!"

"You obviously aren't familiar with sarcasm, jackass."

"And you obviously can kiss my ass," Nick retorted, not really having a clever cover to rebuttle. He sulked deep into his chair as he crossed his arms tightly over his broad chest. The verbal sting of Howie's chiding caused a huge bruise against his ego. So, he looked to strike Howie where he knew it would hurt. Where AJ had already proved it would hurt. "Just ask her how much fun we've had together, D. I remember licking at least twenty one body shots off her. She had a cute little laugh when my tongue tickled her--"

"If you want this plate of hot mashed potatoes to go down your pants and burn off your baby dick, please don't stop," Howie growled with aggravation, gripping the lip of the dish that held the steaming food.

"Welcome to our Dysfunctional family," AJ chuckled toward Kitra, clinking their wine glasses together.

*~*~*


"Hey gorgeous," AJ rasped as he leaned over the back of the couch Kitra was occupying, placing a warm kiss on her exposed shoulder. When she glanced back and smiled, AJ moved to seat himself beside her. The dinner conversation had been far more amusing than he anticipated. Nick had continued to make references about his brief flings with Grace at the Devil's Playground, causing Howie's usually sweet temperament to switch to what AJ considered a volcano. So, AJ had attempted to amuse himself further, allowing his hands to drift down Kitra's body, playing with the delicate folds of her womanhood. At one point, she cried out with a small orgasm, causing Brian's eyebrows to raise. AJ had done his best not to laugh, simply licking his fingers and toasting the chef. In the end, Nick had been thrown out of the house before dessert and Kitra excused herself to release the tension AJ's hands had caused. Howie was now clearing the table and Grace had ventured outside for some kind of refuge, Brian volunteering to go out and visit with her. AJ knew that he had a few minutes to spare, but wanted to get out of the Dorough household before Howie was finished. He had been to blame for the disaster and AJ had no doubt that Howie's Latin fury would be released on him three-fold of the explosion that Nick had received. "I have to get going."

"You mean after what you did to me at dinner you're just going to leave me here?" Kitra pouted, trailing a manicured fingernail up his inner thigh.

"I'm a dead man if that bastard gets out of the kitchen and I'm still here," AJ chuckled, running his fingers lightly over her bare shoulder before following the outer curve of her right breast. He could honestly say that he had never met a woman quite like her. Kitra's sexual appetite was absolutely astounding and all AJ seemed to think about now was finding another way to pleasure her.

"I'd protect you," Kitra quickly straddled his hips, wrapping her arms loosely around his neck.

"I'm sure," he grunted, sliding somewhat down the couch to accommodate her presence. He then hiked her skirt a little, allowing his hands to rub against the inside of her thighs. "But I caused a shit load of trouble tonight."

"I'll have to agree with you on that," she leaned down and nibbled on his neck. "You should be more nice to Howie, though. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be here right now. Grace, either."

"What did I do to D? Nick was the one macking on Gracie-Cheeks--"

"You invited him over when you know damn well how he is with Racie."

"True... But I invited Brian and Kevin, too. Kevin is just too dickheaded to show up... So, I should at least get points for Brian," AJ suggested, leaning to nestle his face in the cleavage of her warm breasts.

"Well maybe, but you still lost some by inviting Nick," she chuckled, running her fingers through his locks. "I still don't want you to leave me, Mr. McLean."

"Then come with me," AJ invited, kissing the sweet crevice between her breasts.

"Where would we be going?" she shuddered slightly.

"My home..."

"All alone with no interruptions?"

"Alone with no interruptions and a lot of toys," AJ promised, trailing the tip of his tongue from the crevice of her breasts toward her neck where he could suckle. "And tomorrow I'll get you all dolled up for a party."

"Mmm… Oh shit... a party? Where is it?"

"It'll be at my house, where we can lock ourselves away for more uninterrupted fun if we decide," AJ continued to entice, sucking on her earlobe as his hands tender massaged her breasts.

"How can I say no? Mmm... We need to go to your house now..." Kitra moaned softly, grinding her hips against his.

"That's what I was trying to tell you in the first place," AJ groaned as he leaned to nip at her bottom lip. With great ease, he simply lifted her from the couch. She immediately wrapped her legs around his waist, leaning to press the hottest kisses against his neck. He turned to catch Howie entering from the kitchen and grinned. "See you later, D!"

"Wait a minute you--"

"Tell Racie I'll be home the day after tomorrow. Bye, Howie!" Kitra blew him a kiss.

"Wait--"

"Hey, D," Brian interrupted as he returned from the beach, leaving Grace alone so she could do her daily walk down the shoreline to think. He grinned with approval, never noticing AJ escaping with his prize. If anything, he was more excited to speak with Howie, gently patting his shoulder. "Grace is a real sweetheart."

"Yeah, I know and--" Howie turned to see AJ already gone with Kitra.

"Damnit."

"What?"

"AJ left."

"With Kitra?"

"Yeah--"

"Are you upset with the fact that he left and you couldn't yell at him for Nick or are you upset that he left with Kitra and is probably up to no good?"
"Can I pick both?"

*~*~*


Grace released a soft yawn as she carefully padded through Howie's dark hallways in her bare feet. She had tried sleeping that evening, but her emotions tangled her dreams into horrible nightmares. First she worried about Kitra, frustrated that the woman would just leave without evening saying goodbye and not call to give Grace the slightest hint that she was still breathing. Then there was all the wise cracks Nick kept referring to during dinner. Each word had been like a damp whip cracking against her skin, especially when she noted the unfamiliar emotion lingering in Howie's eyes. She was ashamed that he had to hear such details about her, though, that was a mystery in itself. She kept reflecting back to the kiss she had given him in the store. The feeling of his soft lips underneath hers had thrilled her in a way she had never felt. Yet, neither had made much mention of that day. And, Grace believed after Nick's disastrous mouth, Howie would be throwing her out the next morning. All hope seemed to fade when she reached the living room, only to discover a shadow on the couch.

"I'm sorry!" she immediately blurted as Howie looked away from the fireplace. She had thought he was sound asleep and truly hadn't meant to disturb him. She turned from the living room, fully intent on hiding in her guest room. "I'll leave you alone--"

"No, please don't. Come here, I wanted to talk to you anyway," Howie interrupted, patting the spot on the couch next to him.

Grace hesitated as she watched his hand, wondering if it were capable of curling into a powerful fist. She felt her mouth dry as her stomach immediately clenched in fear. Gulping softly, she settled her good hand against her stomach to calm it, just studying him in the soft glow of the fire. "Talk to me about what?"

"Everything... anything. Come on."

"If it's about Nick--"

"Grace, I'm not going to hurt you."

"I know--"

"Then please sit down?"

Grace exhaled her nervous breath, knowing Howie had given her no reason to fear him. Yet, from previous abuses, she couldn't help but be slightly worried. She attempted a step toward him, running her good hand through her messy honey curls. Then it struck her, how to keep his hands busy. "Did your three sisters teach you to braid?"

"Yeah, they made me practice on their dolls until I got good enough to do their own hair," Howie replied, looking confused. "Why?"

"Could you braid mine then?" she asked, smiling shyly as she held up a long spiraled honey curl. "I hate having my hair in my face and Kit kind of abandoned me tonight..."

"Of course," he smiled warmly as she sat down beside him. He turned her so her back was facing him and he gently started to part her locks into three sections. "I'm sorry Kit left you."

"I'm used to it," Grace promised, closing her eyes as she felt Howie's fingers run through her locks. He then quickly started to twirl them into the correct fashion, forming a long singular plait of honey. "With her working... I just wish she'd remember to pick up a phone or something... Why aren't you sleeping, though?"

"Just feeling restless, I guess. Have a lot on my mind."

"Because of us?" Grace guessed when he finished, securing the end with the tie around her wrist. When he gently tugged to signal he was finished, she turned to face him, her emerald eyes practically glowing with the soft embers of the fire.

"No, because of Kevin, AJ and Nick..." he trailed off, sighing heavily.

"Oh..." Grace trailed, biting affectionately on her bottom lip. She didn't know whether to prod into his thoughts or not. She usually hated talking about her emotions, especially the emotions she couldn't even identify within the past couple of days. And, with her heart feeling so heavy, she couldn't help but have difficulty reading Howie's thoughts. "I'm sorry?"

"It's not your fault. Kevin's a conceited asshole whose only concern is our reputation, Nick is a freaking idiotic horndog and AJ is spiraling out of control but I can't do anything to stop him."

"So... Do you want to talk about it?" she questioned softly, almost bashfully. She hesitated for a moment when he grew silent, deciding to take some kind of initiative. Carefully, she eased her body behind his on the couch. He tensed for a moment and she started to rub his shoulders, hoping he'd relax.

"It's just a lot of drama," he replied, his head hanging down as she worked on his muscles. "Kev didn't think me saving you girls was a good idea because we would have gotten bad press if someone leaked it from the hospital... he doesn't even care about AJ's partying anymore. He doesn’t want to help him."

"Kind of frustrating when you feel like the whole world is riding on your shoulders... Especially when your best friends depend on you land it's life or death," Grace agreed softly, knowing that Kitra was starting to slip again. It was frustrating to battle with her best friend, especially since she was older. Kitra was hardheaded and could be thoughtlessly cruel at times, but Grace loved her so much.

"It is and it kills me that I can't do anything to help him... it'll be my fault if he crashes his car, OD's or--"

"It's not your fault," Grace quickly interrupted, leaning forward so she could lock their contrasting gazes. Gingerly, she ran her fingertips down the side of his face. "What Mr. McLean does is his own business. You can intervene as much as you want, but in the end, it's going to be his choice. All the blame will rest on him and his bad judgments. Not on you. Not when you're doing everything and anything to help him."

"I just wish he would listen to me," Howie sighed again, resting his forehead against hers.

"And I wish Kit would listen to me, but we know they won't."

"So, what do we do?"

"Keep telling them that we're here and wait until they decide what's right for them," Grace suggested, continuing to brush her fingertips down the sides of Howie's face. She knew she was heading into dangerous territory, but she couldn't help it. Howie's soul was screaming out to her and her heart was echoing.

"And that we pray it won't happen too late?"

"Yes... unfortunately."

"This is the part of you both that I wish Kevin would see. All he sees is your old profession."

"Well, it's kind of hard not to see us as what we were," Grace sighed, pulling away from his body as soon as Howie generalized his comments about Grace into 'both of the girls.' She leaned back against the arm of the couch, tucking her good arm underneath her tank top in pseudo-pocket. "Look at Nick tonight, its natural--"

"It's not natural to treat women like that," Howie disagreed. "You're not an object, you're a person."

"We are women who took his money to pleasure him in any way he saw fit. I don't blame him--"

"Don't. He still has no right to treat you like that."

"What does it matter?"

"Because you shouldn't think that it's okay."

"It wasn't like he was insulting your girlfriend or anything. Why get riled up for nothing? He was just making some cheap jokes about me being a stripper. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I'm glad that it's all he did. There's a dark and scary place out there without your rose-tinted glasses, Stranger."

"Grace--"

"You shouldn't be mad at him."

"He's an asshole--"

"He's your friend."

"Why are you defending him?"

"Why aren't you defending him?"

"Because he's an asshole?"

"I guess..." she sighed, unable to deny that her heart had been wishing it was something more than that.

"He is an asshole and he had no right to talk to you the way he did. Regardless of your past, you're still a beautiful woman and you should be treated like that."

"Thanks..." she whispered, pulling her knees to her chest to hug.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah... Why?"

”I was just making sure," he leaned back and wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

"What are you doing?" she was quick to question, her body practically burning with desire as he drew her close to his side.

"Holding you... is that okay?"

"I guess..." she trailed in confusion.

"Are you sure? I can move back--"

"No!" she blurted, which immediately caused a rosy hue to burn against her cheeks. The feeling of being tucked against him was inviting. For the first time in her life, she actually felt safe. And, the warmth pulsating over her body caused her to fall into a sleepy ecstasy. She didn't want the feeling to end. But, her sudden jump caused her to feel moronic. "I mean--"

"Then I'll continue to hold you," he smiled, kissing her cheek as he tugged her closer. It felt like bliss finally having someone like Grace in his arms and he wasn't about to let go.