- Text Size +
Chapter 9 – Taking Her Stand

Brian's spirits slightly dampened as he entered the spacious conference room, immediately noticing the splitting of their friendship circle. AJ and Nick were off to the side, joking and laughing at what Brian knew was some dirty joke about Grace and Kitra. Kevin was sitting in the middle going through various paperwork for their upcoming tour, though Brian knew he was probably eavesdropping on AJ and Brian. Then, finally, Howie was off to the side, somewhat lost in though as he concentrated on something in his hands. The smile on his face was priceless, though, causing a spark of curiousness to flare in Brian. Balancing his large plate of food from the lunch their producers and managers had provided, he walked to take a seat next to Howie. "How's my Gracie, D? She ever figure out when she's actually going to take me up on that date to play with Tyke?"

"Hmm? Oh, hey Brian," Howie looked up and smiled as Brian sat down next to him. "No, she hasn't said anything about that yet, but I can ask when I get home if you want."

"She also has to play a game of basketball with me when she gets that cast off," Brian continued, noticing a considerable change in his friend's dark brown eyes. Since his disastrous romances with women Brian purposely forgot to name, Howie's eyes had turned dark and mournful. He was depressed with life, never bothering to carry an optimistic attitude that he was known for. And his adorable smile that their fans loved to comment about had faded into a mere ember of what it used to be. Yet, now, Howie seemed exuberant, practically glowing with the freshness of life.

"I'll remind her."

"Good... so what's happened since I came over? You seem... different."

"Nothing..." he promised, though he couldn't keep the silly smirk from his face.

"Nothing?" Brian laughed, rolling his eyes. "Then tell me what you were looking at."

"It's a seashell," Howie replied, turning his hand sideways so Brian could see. It was light blue, small and delicate but strong with calcium from the ocean waves. "Grace gave it to me last night."

"Why'd she give you a seashell?" Brian asked honestly, flopping his plate of food between them on the coffee table.

"Something to hold onto when I'm doubting something or myself. She said a shell only starts out weak but with determination it gets stronger with each wave that hits."

"She's a really smart cookie," Brian whistled with observation, unable to hide the cheeky smile spreading on his face. Grace couldn't have possibly been any better of an influence on Howie. She was extremely intelligent and a complete contradiction to the stereotypes that followed exotic dancers. It amazed Brian that she could connect so deeply with Howie, especially when others had been struggling to reach him for months.

"She is, Bri... she really is. I haven't felt this happy since... ever. I'm really glad she's in my life," Howie nodded, placing the shell back in his pocket before reaching over to grab a couple of carrots to munch on.

"So, that means your anxious to tell me about what happened since I haven't been to visit lately, right?" Brian egged, gently bumping against Howie's shoulder as he avoided Kevin's light green eyes.

"You're too nosy sometimes."

"True, but does that mean you're going to tell me?"

"Bri..."

"You know you're dying to tell someone," Brian sang, biting into the sandwich he had fixed. In essence, Brian really was the only person he had on his side. Kevin was dead set against even glancing in Grace's direction, much less hearing about Howie's blooming relationship with her. And AJ and Nick treated her like some sexual object for their pleasures.

"I hate it when you're right," Howie chewed on a carrot, trying to frown but just ended up smiling again.

"I love it."

"Figures... well, you know how I feel about her, right?"

"Captivated?"

"Just about."

"Okay, I got that part. What happened next?" Brian asked as Howie took some more vegetables.

"Kitra left to spend some time at J's place--"

"You had Grace to yourself?" Brian interrupted with an awed gasp, as if he had just met Superman.

"Yes--"

"What happened?"

"If you stopped interrupted me like a little kid, I could tell you," Howie pushed on Brian's forehead.

"Spill!"

"We went for a walk on the beach one night. Grace was worried about Kitra and I thought it would take her mind off things."

"You and those romantic beach walks," Brian sighed, oblivious that another pair of ears was listening in.

"Hey, I like them and so does Grace."

"I didn't say there was anything wrong with it," Brian laughed, "But, c'mon, what happened?"

"We just started talking about everything and before I could think about what I was doing... I kissed her."

Brian was silent for a passing moment as if he were absorbing the information. His light blue eyes studied Howie's facial features, trying to judge if the man was serious. But, Brian knew better than to assume Howie wasn't telling the truth. He was almost like the second golden boy of the group. His jaw agape, Brian shook his head in disbelief. "What'd she do?"

"Kissed me back," Howie gave a silly smile, stuffing the last bit of celery into his mouth.

"So, she feels the same about you?"

"You know how she is about sharing her feelings, but... I'm guessing since she kissed me back and we've gotten closer ever since... yeah, she does."

"How does that work then?" Brian asked in confusion. "Are you a couple or... You two just kiss all the time now without any labels...?"

"We're taking it slow."

"Which really means you haven't said a word about anything to her."

"I don't want to scare her, Bri."

"Besides, why ruin things when you're getting free smooches," Brian chuckled, knowing Howie was doing the right thing by Grace.

"You're funny," Howie groaned.

"I know," Brian answered with a lopsided grin. "But, is it really serious for you? Your feelings for Grace, I mean..."

"Yeah, they are. I just don't know how to bring them about to her..."

"You'll figure out a way. You always do."

"Why can't the other guys be understanding like you?"

"Because I'm one of a kind," Brian sighed with pleasure, leaning back on the couch as if he were God. He closed his eyes for a moment, before popping them open with surprise. "Here's the ultimate question, D!"

"Uh-oh... I'm afraid to hear it--"

"Do you love her?" Brian questioned seriously, ignoring Howie's venture into sarcasm.

"Huh?" Howie's jaw dropped.

"Do you love her?"

"Why would you--"

"Because you know if you do or not and I'm curious as to how far I need to go to protect this relationship for you."

"I... I do love her. People think it's not possible considering Grace's past and how long I've known her, but I still love her."

"She deserves someone like you to love her," Brian agreed with a happy grin, patting Howie's shoulder. "Everything is going to be absolutely fantastic between you two. I promise."

'Not if I can help it,' Kevin thought angrily as he turned away from the conversation.

*~*~*


Grace smiled sweetly to her boss as she excused herself from his office, her large check tucked securely in the back pocket of her jeans. He had promised her a large increase in salary if she promised to quickly return after the cast was removed from her arm. It seemed that the business had taken a large plummet when Grace was so rudely yanked from the line-up. Not that she was conceited, but she understood as she glanced to the stage to see Ginger working on of Grace's original routines to Twisted Angel. It was amusing to say the least as the woman attempted to flaunt every asset of her aging body, unable to offer the seductively innocent qualities that Grace naturally exuded. But, those thoughts were brushed away when she turned to see a familiar person rising from Evan's reserved seating in the corner. She concentrated on the tall, dark man for a moment, frowning when she realized it was Kevin Richardson shaking hands with the man that had nearly murdered her. She had every intention of stalking over to the table and popping Howie's friend in the mouth when the bartender bellowed.

"Angel-Cheeks! Get your ass over here! I'm making your favorite! On the house!"

Grace sighed as she turned away from Kevin's deceitful tactics. She slid herself onto a barstool next to the old bartender that had almost became like a father to her over the years of working. She offered a sweet smile as he slid Kitra's check toward her along with her share of the tips. She noticed the bills were thick this months, knowing the girls must have parted with parts of their wages to help out their friends. "A virgin strawberry daiquiri for your favorite dancer?"

"Anything for you," the man smiled, immediately working on Grace's request. "How's the arm feeling?"

"Sore," Grace admitted as she pulled her long honey locks over her right shoulder. She curled her index finger around one single spiral, studying George's technique as he added fresh strawberries to the mixture. Grace absolutely detested the taste of alcohol, so George was constantly mixing special drinks for her. But, her mind immediately turned as she glanced over her shoulder to see Kevin moving toward the exit. "How long as that guy been here, Georgie?"

"You mean McLean's friend? Oh, I'd say an hour or something. Real asshole, acted like he was better than the rest of us," George replied, turning on the blender for a moment. He turned it off and poured the drink into a long, slender glass. He garnished it with another strawberry and slid it over to her.

"What was he doing here anyway? Doesn't seem like the type that'd let Big Ol' Ging slap her boobs in his face," Grace scowled, biting into the sweet strawberry George had dusted lightly with sugar.

"Asked... no, more like demanded where Kit's pimp was and left in the middle of me asking if he wanted a drink."

"Maybe he needs a date," Grace laughed at the idea, her emerald eyes twinkling in an impish manner that caused George to release a belly laugh.

"I think he just needs to get that stick removed from his ass... then again, he seems to maybe like that a little too much," George chuckled, nodding towards her glass. "How's the daq?"

"Absolutely the most wonderful thing that I have ever tasted," Grace boasted, motioning for George to bend so she could deliver an affectionate kiss to his bald head. "You spoil me rotten, Papi! And, I owe you a night on the town, just call me up to wrangle your rug-rats."

"I will, because Rachel has been bugging me about us getting out of the house for just a night," George grinned, gently pinching her cheek.

"Good thing your kids love me," Grace laughed, motioning for a cocktail napkin so she could scribble down the number to her cell phone.

"Better for me because then I don't end up killing them--"

"You should write that number down for me, Gracie," another voice interrupted.

"I thought I smelled rotting teeth," Grace grimaced as she pushed the napkin toward George, immediately recognizing the voice. Her entire body tensed as she turned to catch the oily eyes of Evan checking out her slender curves. She did her best to maintain a sweet deposition, deciding to breeze right past him. She reached over the bar to kiss George one more time as he handed her the usual to-go mug of her virgin strawberry daiquiri. She made him promise to call this week about babysitting, attempting to slip past the man that had caused so much damage before George got fired.

"Now is that the polite way to greet your boss?" Evan's face broadened with a sickening grin, placing his arm out so she couldn't leave. "Don't you try to leave while I'm talking to you, Gracie. I thought you would have learned your lesson... Kitra, too. I heard that dried up, useless bitch survived. Won't be too long before she comes crawling back--"

"First of all, you're not my boss. Second of all, Kitra's done with you. She's got another job that pays three times the pennies you were throwing into her condom box," Grace snapped, pulling Evan's arm down away from her chest. "So, would you let me leave before George gets fired for nailing your ass to a cross?"

"George wouldn't--"

"Oh believe me, Evan, I have no qualms about doing that," George crackled his large knuckles, a menacing look crossing his light eyes. "I've got the cross and nails all ready for you."

"Asshole," Grace breathed, pushing hard on Evan's chest so he stumbled backward. She gave a small thank you smile toward George, moving toward the exit at a fast pace. Only, when she was free from the building, Tony, Evan's body guard, stepped right into her path. He was obviously postponing her departure for his boss. Grace cursed underneath her breath as she attempted to get past the large man. "Don't you monkeys ever go on vacation?!"

"Evan pays us enough that we don't have to," Tony sneered, grabbing her shoulders with his huge hands. "Now, you ain't going anywhere without talking to him, Sweetheart."

"Didn't know I had a fucking appointment," Grace replied with a dark scowl. Her entire body tensed with Tony's hold as he pulled her toward the side of the building, away from where George might be tempted to look. And, sure enough, Evan appeared a few moments later, looking quite pleased with himself.

"I knew I could count on you, Tone. At least you're good for something," Evan stood inches away from Grace, his fingers lingering around her curves. "Now we didn't finish our conversation, Gracie. If you learned anything from Kitra, it's that I end things, not you."

"I'm not like Kitra, Evan. I'm not going to take your shit--"

"Oh yes you will, because I know you and Kitra are staying with Dorough. I can easily find you."

"Your point?" Grace scoffed, attempting to act as if the thought meant nothing to her. She moved to step away, but Evan quickly caught her. He slammed her back hard against the brick wall, pressing his own body against hers with a sexual stir. She winced as he appropriately grinded, reminding her of why men couldn't ever seem to be trusted. "Damnit, Evan--"

"How would you like to wake up one morning and find Kitra's head along with lover-boy Dorough's boiling in a pot in that expensive kitchen of his? To walk into their bedrooms and see their bodies skinned like a deer? I can have that happen, Gracie. Don't doubt me," Evan growled, grabbing her chin roughly and making her look into his disturbed eyes.

"What makes you think I give two shits about them?"

"I can see it in those oh-so-pretty eyes of yours. You may have a tough act, but it's given away in those emerald-blues--"

"What do you want, Evan?" Grace interrupted curtly, trying to pull away from his grasp. But, the further she tried to dismantle herself from the slimy embrace, the harder Evan pushed her against the wall. She could feel the small bulge of his manhood pressing against her inner thigh, causing her stomach to coil in tight knots of sickness. She just wanted to go home. To Howie.

"Besides you--"

"Just fucking tell me already so I can leave."

"I was really hoping that you had come to your senses, Sweetheart," Evan answered with a leering grin, allowing his hand to slip inside her peasant top to finger the soft comfort of her right breast. "My customers are begging for a chance to saddle up and ride you... Of course, I'd really need to go first so I can report customer satisfaction--"

"I'm not your whore, Evan--"

"Then I need reimburse for the damage you did to my john. Spend the evening with me and I'll never bother your little Kitty-Cat again," Evan volunteered, his hand trailing along her leanly toned abdomen before slipping just a breath inside her hip hugger jeans.

"How much money did you lose that night?" Grace questioned, arching her back in disgust in attempts to get away from his rough fingers.

"He was going to pay me a thousand just to have Kitty-Cat for four hours but since that was fucked up--"

"What if I could get you the money?"

"How?"

"If you would get your fucking paws off me, I could get you the damn money," Grace acknowledged, hating that she was resorting to paying the man off.
"How?" Evan repeated, pulling away from her slightly.

"I just got our pay checks from Devil, which he just slips into bills for me anyway. Plus the tips that George gave me. And..." Grace trailed with a jaded sigh as she walked toward her car, slipping inside. She pulled open the back wall of the glove compartment to reveal the nine hundred dollars AJ had given her for Howie's lap dance. Dejectedly, she handed over all the money as she was reminded yet again of the problems Kitra caused. "That is well over a thousand dollars. Enough to fix the john accident and keep you well supplied with whores for the next few hours. Can we please call it even?"

"Hmm... I don't know..." Evan looked over at his bodyguard. "What do you think, Tony?"

"If it fixes everything, boss, I'd take it," Tony shrugged his broad shoulders.

"Take it or leave it, Evan. What's your choice?"

"Kitty-Cat is in the clear," Evan finally agreed, snatching the money from Grace's soft hand. He leaned down inside the car, snapping a bruising kiss against her neck. "But I'm still going to get you in my bed, Gracie."

"It's not going to happen," Grace pulled away from Evan's grasp.
Evan just laughed, tapping on the hood of her car. "Whatever you say, Gracie. Tell Kitty-Cat I've got a fresh supply of good stuff whenever her nose starts itching again."

*~*~*


Kevin exhaled a disgusted breath as he opened Howie's front door in time for Kitra to come breezing by. She was humming happily to herself as she pushed her large breasts higher into the scarlet red corset wrapped around her thin form, obviously looking to make them pop as she skipped down to AJ's expensive car. The faint smell of perfume wafted around Kevin, making his stomach churn tightly with disgust. He hated that Howie was harboring such women of ill repute. The man was far too naive to handle this type of situation. The women would only cause him heartache in the long run, especially Grace. After taking a visit down to Devil's Playground to speak with Evan, Kevin was horrified at just what Howie was falling in love with. He knew that AJ would eventually grow tired of being able to have a stripper without the dues, but Howie would fall hard. Kevin had to stop it, before he embarrassed himself and the group. They were touring in just a few short weeks. It wasn't a time for a mid-career crisis and Kevin had to make sure of that as he walked into the living room. He immediately frowned when he noticed Howie scurrying to hide something from his view. Something he was doing for Grace, obviously.

"Howie, I need to talk to you."

"What more do you have to say, Kev? I swear if I hear one more selfish word out of your mouth, I'll have to kick you out," Howie frowned as he stood up.

"I want to talk about you," Kevin answered, attempting to peer at what Howie was doing. He needed to know how serious this relationship was intertwining within Howie's heart. By listening to his conversation with Howie, Kevin had already started to worry. He didn't want Howie to get hurt.

"There's nothing to talk about--"

"There's a lot to talk about," Kevin disagreed, pushing Howie back onto the couch. He then took a seat beside his 'younger brother,' clasping his hands tightly against his knees. "I need to know what you think you're doing with Grace."

"It's none of your business--"

"The Hell it's not my business. Do you realize how much jeopardy you're putting our reputation under? Or how you're risking getting hurt again by a woman?"

"Did I not say that if one selfish word came out of your mouth--"

"I went down to Devil's Playground, Howie," Kevin interrupted yet again, his light green eyes fiery with annoyance that Howie wouldn't listen. "I talked with Evan Rodgers. Kitra and Grace's Pimp and you have got to listen to me for once. Damnit, D, you're playing with fire."

"Grace's pimp?" Howie started to laugh at the ridiculous accusation coming from his oldest brother. "What the Hell have you been smoking?! Grace wasn't a prostitute, only Kitra!"

"Grace didn't work daily, but she did put in some time with Evan. In fact, a lot of time with Evan. He's pissed that you took the girls in. More importantly, pissed that you're messing with Grace. That's his girlfriend, Howie. And, he's killed men for even looking at her without permission. You need to get her the Hell out of this house. Not to mention the fact that she beat the snot out of some man. She's violent and not worth your energy."

"Oh, you have got to be kidding me. Evan's the one who almost killed the girls!" Howie continued to laugh, covering his face for a moment to compose himself. Kevin was going too far and it was getting annoyingly funny. "Grace is not his girlfriend, so before get your facts right before coming to me--"

"Evan wants to kill you, how about that, D?"

"I'd like to see him try."

"Damnit, Howie, he has no qualms about hurting you. He wants Grace back now. And I told him that he could have her."

"Excuse me?" Howie stopped in mid-laugh.

"That he could have--"

"Where the HELL do you get off saying that?! That's not your fucking choice!" Howie snapped, his eyes beginning to blaze.

"It becomes my fucking choice when my little brother is so obsessed over a girl that only paid attention to him because my other little brother tapped her with a nine hundred dollar tip. She isn't worth the danger that you're getting yourself into right now. She's a violent girl that's only going to hurt you ten times worse than anything. I mean, honestly, do you think you're going to start a relationship with her? Call her your girlfriend? And how will you introduce her to everyone, Howie? This is my girlfriend that gave me and my best friend a lap dance. It was love at first sight! You can find better girls. Hell, Kristen and I can introduce you to a nice girl."

"It's not your choice, Kevin. It's mine and mine only who I want to see! I could name off plenty of girls in your past who haven't been Miss Perfect, but I keep things in the past where they should be! If I get hurt it's my own damn fault and you can't do anything about it," Howie stood up, his body tense. He couldn't believe the gall Kevin had to talk to him like that. "Get out of my fuckig house. Right now."

"I refuse to stand at your grave sight laying a rose on your casket, Howie. She has to leave," Kevin insisted, rising to meet Howie's standing. Only, since he was over six feet, he practically towered over Howie.

"You don't have a say in this."

"Evan isn't joking, Howie. He wants Grace home now."

"How many times do I have to say this? She's. Not. His. Girlfriend."

"He doesn't give a shit about labels. You already told us what happened when the girls upset him. I don't even want to imagine what he's dreaming of doing to you at this moment. He wants her back and that's final. She's leaving, Howie. Today."

"This is my house and you can't control anything in it! They're my guests and neither are leaving."

Kevin was about to respond out of anger, but the argument was broken by the sound of a door opening. Sure enough, Grace slipped inside, looking completely exhausted. She played nervously with the edges of the sling holding her cast. Her emerald eyes were dark with worry, obviously thinking about Evan's haunting message about hurting Howie. Only, she had no words to voice as Kevin immediately stepped toward her, towering over her already broken form. "You need to get your things packed. We're done playing house. You're leaving. Now."

Grace glanced up into Kevin's darkening hazel eyes and bit down hard on her bottom lip. Her entire body tensed as if he might strike her with his thick palm, hating how men always seemed to dominate her. She swallowed the lump in her throat as she met his nasty gaze. "I don't have anything."

"Kevin, get the fuck away from her, she's not leaving!" Howie strode towards Kevin and pushed him away from Grace. "Leave her alone!"

"Evan wants you to go back to your own world, Grace. And, to protect Howie, I want you out of this house. Don't make this harder than it is. I thank you for keeping him company and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, but this party is over," Kevin insisted with dark tones, quickly reaching to grasp Grace's upper arm to pull her closer so she'd get the idea. "It's time to wake up."

"Don't act so damn noble," Grace growled, yanking her arm away from him. The threats from Evan and dark glares of abhorrence from Kevin were enough to fill her body with disgust. She immediately became defensive, playing her game of survival. She mentally wrapped her bleeding heart in a protective stone shield, refusing to let him lead her. She would go willingly. "And, don't you dare assume that Evan is my world when you don't know a damn thing about me. I didn't always live in Florida and I didn't grow up in a strip club in a prostitution gold mine."

"I talked to Evan and he wants you--"

"I never was and never will be Evan's property. He was Kit's pimp and tried to get me but it never happened. How dare you come to me like this when you only know Evan's side? You have no right and you need to step off me right now."

"And what side could you possibly have Grace? What could be so different from Evan's story? You didn't almost beat a man to death?" Kevin actually laughed. "Sugar coated cream where you're an innocent victim in all of this? How you're really a good girl with sugar plum dreams?"

"Don't you dare patronize me. I am not some high school drop out. In fact, I'm a high school graduate with straight A's the entire school year. I was in advanced classes, not to mention graduated in the top ten percent of my class. I lived on a tiny farm in the mountains of Kentucky, right by the lake. God, I loved that lake so damn much. Momma couldn't pull me out of it. But, things happened and I couldn't stay. Maybe I was to blame, fine, but damnit, I'm not trash!" Grace snapped.

"Oh, please--"

"I came to Florida and Kitra found me. She took me in when it was pouring outside. I hadn't eaten for days because all my money was spent on getting a damn bus ride the Hell away from Kentucky so I could actually survive. And, yes, I started working at Devil's Playground as a stripper. But what about my job is so fucking different from yours? Don't you stand up in front of thousands of girls screaming your names, dancing sexually, and stripping off your clothing? Or, is it because your singing that makes it so damn different? Should I sing along to my songs? Or maybe I should be a man? Because then I wouldn't be flashing my tits that is considered so damn heinous compared to you ripping off your shirt to show your muscular chest while girls throw condoms on stage. Who's really the piece of trash, Kevin? Huh?"

"Don't you compare my job to yours--"

"I just did and now you can't think of a damn thing to say, can you? Why don't you figure out the full story before making accusations to a person you've never met. I'm a fucking human being just like you. I have feelings and I need a place to stay. Howie has been sweet enough to take me and Kitra in, which I am eternally grateful for. But if anyone has a say in whether I go or not, it's Howie. Not you. So, like I said, step off me right now."

"You--"

"Oh, and the man I almost beat to death? He was raping Kitra."

"Not--"

"I came out from giving Howie that expensive lap dance that all you men seemed to constantly focus on and Kitra asked if I could help her with her rounds that night. I refused because, fortunately for a nasty stripper like me, I hate sex. She got mad and stormed off. I wanted to just go home, take a long bath, and eat some of my leftover Dominos pizza. But Heaven forbid that I should be a normal person. I heard Kitra screaming that man was beating her mercilessly and, yeah, I kicked the shit out of him. Kitra saved my life when I came here. I wasn't going to let her die because some man couldn't respect her because of her choice of jobs. Evan was upset that I made him lose a lot of money and he wanted me to work the corner to make up for it. But I refused because I actually have morals. Morals that my mother taught me. So, he beat and raped me and Kitra. That's the damn fucking truth. So, again, step back up off me before I ram my cast down your throat."

"Howie, is she telling the truth?" Kevin glanced at Howie, who still looked angry.

"What do you fucking think?

Kevin felt his ego deflate dramatically as he glanced back toward Grace. All the hateful words flowing from her usually smiling lips bit at his skin like a sharp steel whip. Immediately, he felt foolish for his actions, knowing that his own father must have been turning in his grave. Grace had just confessed to living on a farm in Kentucky, his hometown. He may not have approved of her occupation, but she had made several good points.

"Why don't you just leave and think about what I've said?" Grace suggested with a sickeningly sweet sarcasm. "Because there's no way you're recovering from this."

"I..." Kevin tried to speak and sighed heavily, walking around Grace and towards the front door.

"How many assholes would you like to bring into my life, huh? Because I think I've passed the limit before I have to start consulting Satan on my life!" Grace groaned underneath her breath as she looked to the ceiling. Gingerly, she rubbed her throbbing upper arm where Kevin had yanked and then the bruising bite on her neck from Evan. Hadn't she suffered enough from childhood? Wasn't her father enough pain?

"Grace? Are you okay?" Howie finally voiced as Kevin left the house.

"I'm fine. I'm just fucking fine," she gritted, immediately fumbling through her empty pockets in search of her keys. She needed to take a drive; she needed to get away.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know he was coming--"

"Yeah, no one ever does. Just leave me alone, alright? I need to think," she interrupted, finding her keys. She turned and headed out of the house.

"Grace, wait--"

But it was useless.

She was gone.