- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to those of you who reviewed Chapter 3! As promised, here is 4. As long as I get feedback, I will continue to post! lol :) So let me know what ya think! Thanks again, guys!
Chapter Four

“Would Mr. Kevin Richardson please come to the stand.” Mr. Williams ordered, standing in front of where Kevin was to be seated.

It was day three of the trial and it was the day where Brian’s friends were to testify in his defense. Brian swallowed, hoping that his lawyer could help him out. He hoped that his friends wouldn’t say anything stupid to make him look bad. All he wanted was for people to see that he wasn’t a bad person. He was being charged with some pretty malicious things though. Hardly anybody who was charged with such actions really had a chance, even if they truly were innocent. For once in his love, Brian prayed that his fame would get him out of this. Kind of like OJ Simpson. He felt guilty for wanting to use his stardom for this, but just maybe it would help him out.

As Kevin passed by Brian on his way to the stand, he pat his cousin on the back for reassurance. The Judge shot him a warning look and Kevin refrained from saying anything as he took his seat in his destined area. He had a certain confidence about him in the way he carried himself and the way he sat straight, his eyes fixed straight ahead. It was the type of confidence that just might help Brian out of this and make the room see that he was innocent.

“Kevin, how long have you and Brian known each other?”

“My entire life,” Kevin answered, “Litterally. He’s my cousin…only a few years younger.”

“As a child, was Brian short tempered? Did he get into a lot of fights?” Mr. Williams asked.

Kevin laughed, shaking his head, “Not once. Brian was a very kind child. Much like he is today,” Kevin emphasized, “He sang in the church choir, always did his homework. He’s always been sweet, trying to make peace in every bad situation. He’s always been a firm believer in the power of God, and was considered terminally ill as a child from a medical condition. His strong faith is what gave him the confidence to stay alive. He would never hurt another human being. He’s one of the rare people that has a kind heart. Brian would make every single person in this court room look like a bad guy. He makes me look bad.”

Mr. Williams nodded thoughtfully, and it was obvious that everybody else was taking Kevin’s words and view on Brian into account. Kevin glanced to his cousin and could see his eyes shooting him rays of thankfulness in their glow. His posture didn’t seem as tense. For the first time, his friend looked like he believed that everything would turn out okay.

“Did you ever see Brian and Julian in an argument?”

“Never. They were always so affectionate with one another. When we left on tour, Brian actually cried when he was leaving her behind. They talked every morning and night and his tone was always so soft and kind with her. I swear, those two were meant to be sole mates.”

“Thank you, Kevin. That’s all for now.”

Kevin smiled tightly as he made his way back to where he’d previously been sitting as AJ made his way up. Kevin only hoped that their rebel friend could talk in Brian’s favor and not slip up in foul language to make him look bad.

“AJ…” Mr. Settina started, the opposing lawyer taking his stand to do the questioning, “How long have you and Brian known one another?”

“Over twelve years. Ever since the Backstreet Boys foundation started.”

“What was the worst argument you’ve ever been in with him?”

AJ’s eyes darkened a little, but he forced out a chuckle, “Probably when he found out I was using drugs. The guys were all pretty upset. Brian was no different, but in another sense he was there for me a little more. He was the first to help me realize that I wasn’t beyond help. The others followed after him. Kevin was the one kicking down the damned door screaming obscenities at me.”

AJ could see anger flash across Mr. Settina’s eyes because he wasn’t making Brian look bad for Julian’s parents. He let out a frustrated sigh, yet kept up an image telling he was sure of himself. Much like many lawyers were.

“So you don’t find it odd that Miss. Edwards disappeared after their fight?”

“Um, well…I…” AJ fumbled over his words.

‘Especially since they were supposedly so close. And nobody has seen her.”

“I…I can’t answer that for you.” AJ sighed, “They were extremely close with one another, and it is odd. But I don’t think I would justify it as saying he’d hurt her.”

“But you do find it odd?” Mr. Settina pressed.

AJ sighed, “Yes.” He said dumbly, and he shot Brian an apologetic look after seeing the hurt and betrayal in his eyes. All of the praising work Kevin had done had evaporated in that instant.

“Thank you. That’s all.”

AJ took his seat again as somebody else was called up to the stand. Brian could hear whispering behind him and his heart broke with the words he was actually catching. Things weren’t going nearly as well as he’d hoped, starting out so greatly and with each person, taking a drastic turn for the worst. The highlight of the end was when Howie was called up to speak, taking away some of the damage. Just how much damage could be erased though, when it seemed the world was against him?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flashback
April 1st, 2005

Brian handed his duffle bag to the bus driver as he looked over at Julian standing at the sidelines. He smiled sadly at her, but she didn’t notice. His girlfriend was distracted with what was the most pitiful look of emptiness on her face. Thanking the driver, he took in a deep breath, looking around. It seemed that everything was in place and they were ready to get rolling. The other Boys were just standing outside chatting and taking advantage of their last minutes standing and stretching, preparing for hours on the road now.

Walking over to Julian, Brian realized that this was it. They had avoided talking about the tour as much as possible, but in the back of their minds, both of them had known that it was coming. And here it was. Their first show was for that night in the next state over. If they were to be there by four-thirty for setting things up and sound-check, Brian realized that they had to get moving, as much as he wanted to delay things and procrastinate. Julian had insisted on coming to see them off, and as happy as he was about that, Brian almost wished that she hadn’t. It was only making things harder on both of them.

“Hey there.” he greeted her softly.

“Hi.” Julian nearly whispered. It appeared that she was looking at him, but Brian knew her better than that. Whenever she was upset, she tended to look past him. Then there was the ever so slightly quavering of her chin as she tried her hardest not to cry. They stood in awkward silence for a few minutes, neither wanting to break the moment. It couldn’t be put off though, “I guess this is it, huh?” she moved her gaze so that she was looking in to his eyes, and it broke his heart at just how sad she was.


“I’ve got a few more minutes.” Brian replied honestly while trying to stay positive at the same time.

Julian smiled at his attempt, but as she did, a single tear finally escaped from the corner of her eye followed by several more. That was all it took for Brian to take a few more steps forward, embracing his girl within his arms. He nestled his face in to her neck, breathing in the sweet scent of her as he kissed her gently. It wasn’t long before Julian’s arms were around him as well and she was sobbing openly.

“It’s not so bad...” Brian tried to convince both of them, “This is just a mini-tour before the full blown Never Gone tour. I’ll be gone only a couple of months.”

“I know...” Julian sniffed, her voice hardly coming out, “Its just...you’ll be so far away and...”

“It’s not too late for you to go with me!” Brian enthused, “There’s plenty of room and I would love to have you with me. Please?” he gave his best pouty puppy dog face.

Julian laughed lightly at him, wiping a tear from her eye, “I wish I could, but I can’t. I have to work. I need the money. I have bills to pay.”

“I’ll take care of you.” Brian offered

Julian shook her head, taking in a deep breath to try and compose herself completely. As much as she wanted to just leave everything behind and go around the world with Brian, she knew that she just simply couldn’t. He was just making it harder by throwing the option on the table right before her.

“Wha...what’s going to happen to us?” Julian finally spoke her biggest fear out loud.

“Absolutely nothing.” Brian assured her, “We’re going to stay together, talk on the phone every day...write letters. Nothing is going to change between us. I promise.”

“But you’ll be around so many girls who are right there.” Julian pointed out, feeling comfortable enough to let this insecure side of her out.

“But none of them are you.” Brian assured her, “I love you, Julian. I want only you.”

Julian smiled as Kevin yelled out to Brian that it was time to go. She winced, realizing that the time had come. Brian yelled back that he would be right there and turned back to Julian one last time.

“I’ll call you tonight after the show, okay?” he promised.

“Okay.” Julian answered him, “Good luck and have fun.”


Brian embraced her once more, kissing her passionately on the mouth before pulling a small box out of his coat pocket, handing it to Julian. She took it, looking up in to his eyes in confusion, her brows furrowing.

“Just a little goodbye gift.” he told her, “Don’t open it until tonight though.”

Julian groaned playfully, but she found the gesture romantic and sweet. She was dying to know what was in the package though, the mystery already torturing her on the inside.

“Well, goodbye sweetheart.” Brian kissed her one last time as the horn to the tour bus he’d be sharing with his five best friends sounded to let him know that the needed to go, ‘I love you.”

“I love you too.” Julian smiled, waving slowly as Brian blew her a kiss walking backwards before turning and sprinting towards the bus.

Julian waited several minutes then, just watching as the bus started moving and even until it disappeared out of sight completely. She already felt so lost and lonely without Brian there, not knowing what she was going to do without him there.

Meanwhile, Brian was looking out the window to the bus as he peered behind him far in to the distance where he’d left his Julian behind. It had only been five minutes and he already missed her. This was going to be a long tour without her by his side and he already couldn’t wait for it to be over, having to stop himself from digging out his cell phone and calling her already because that would only make him look weak and desperate.