- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the feedback so far. Keep reviewing and I will keep posting! :o) Oh, and the flashback in this chapter is a little sexual. Nothing toooo explicit, but you've been warned! lol
Chapter Six

Brian sighed as he gazed solemnly ahead of him. The trial for the whereabouts of Julian Edwards had been going on for just under two months now. Things were looking grim. Not in his favor at all. He would’ve thought that the trial would have ended long ago, ruling him innocent on all charges. It seemed as if the process were at a stand-still though. Nothing was happening at all, each court date making him more and more frustrated and anxious because the result at the end of a long, tedious day was always the same. Nobody still had any clue as to anything. What scared him the most was the fact that some murder trials went on for years without any answers. He hoped that his wasn’t one of them and somebody came to some sort of conclusion to the whole thing, and fast.

The day after each court date, there would be a small summary in the paper about it. He was thankful that the case had been kept away from the public for the first week and a half, but slowly, word started to slip out through the cracks of the court house and in to the media. He wondered what his friends had been forced in to telling. He wondered how much of it was recorded accurately, but he didn’t know. He didn’t much care to know either, figuring it would be best for his frame of mind to not know what people were saying about him. Why stress over something you couldn’t do a thing about, right?

The guys had come to visit him a couple more times while he was in prison, but never once had they actually discussed the trial. Once in awhile, they would ask him a question pertaining to it, but Brian would try to stray away the questioning, not feeling like talking about it. He could see that his friends were worried about him, worried about how long the entire process was taking. He hated them to worry, therefore when they came to visit, he tried to make it as much like old times as he could, before any of this started. The only difference in his mind, during those fifteen minute visits, were the bars and glass that separated them. Other than that, they talked and joked around as if nothing in the world had changed.

He could sense something was different with Howie though. The man who was normally so confident in everything, suddenly didn’t have much to say at all. It was as if he came long for the ride with the others, likely because they’d forced him to, or because it would look good, but stayed back in the shadows as if he really didn’t want to be there at all. Brian wondered what was up with that, but deep down he knew. As much as he wished it weren’t true, and tried to deny himself from thinking it, he knew that Howie no longer believed in him for some reason. Howie thought he was guilty, for some unknown reason. The thought of that always depressed Brian, causing an unwanted sadness to take over him. What had he done to cause one of his best friends to betray him so?

“Was Julian ever depressed during the time she was involved with Mr. Littrell?”

Brian snapped from his thoughts as he stared blankly ahead at Mr. Settina questioning Julian’s mother, Adrian. The woman, who Brian knew to be in her mid fifties was dabbing at her eyes gently with a tissue as she sniffled lightly. At the sight of her, Brian could feel his own eyes beginning to cloud over with tears. He willed them away though, his mind anywhere but where it should have been. It was as if he thought he could escape reality simply by putting his mind elsewhere. When Adrian Edwards spoke though, Brian snapped from his deep thoughts, forcing himself to pay attention.

“She was always so happy. Her and Brian were great together. I…I…we adored him. He was everything we’d ever dreamed of for our little girl, which is why I just don’t understand….why he’d…want to…hurt her like this.” Her voice trembled in emotion.

“It says here that your daughter was proposed to by Brian, however she declined. Would there be any reasoning behind her saying ‘no’, if they were so perfect for one another?” Mr. Settina asked, “I don’t know about you, but wouldn’t you want to be engaged to somebody whom you’d deem your ‘soul mate’?”

Mrs. Edwards paused, trying to think of how best to answer the question. When it came down to it, she really didn’t have an explanation that would make sense. Why had Julian said no to the proposal unless there was some deeper, darker secret to their relationship that went on behind closed doors. Things the world, the friends, the family, didn’t see. Did Brian beat her behind closed doors, and knew that if she got in to anything more serious, she would be stuck in something she couldn’t get out of?

“I…I just assumed she wasn’t ready to take on such a commitment. Julian never did anything sporadically. She only did something if it felt right. I thought it was because she felt she needed to date him for a longer time before saying yes. But now that you mention it, maybe it was a cry for help from her.” She took in a deep, shaky breath, letting it out slowly in a troubled manner.

It was all Brian could do not to jump in and yell, telling these people that they were all nuts and that this man was out to make him look like some kind of monster that he wasn’t even close to being. He wanted to tell everybody that he had never hurt his girlfriend. Not once. He was frozen in place though, unable to move or make a sound as Mr. Settina continued to ask questions that came as blows to his reputation, or what little reputation he had left. Brian felt numb, wishing he could make sense of all of this. There was nothing he could do though, and as Mrs. Edwards eventually made her way back to the seat that was right across a narrow isle from Brian, he glanced over at her with tears in his eyes. The look he got back however, was one which was full of hatred. One that read that she wasn’t going to rest until he was paid back for what he supposedly did to her daughter.

Brian observed the woman as she leaned in to her husband, sobbing on to his shoulder. He put an arm around her comfortingly, hugging her as his own eyes filled with tears. Brian sighed, wondering if losing a child were as hard as losing the woman you wanted to spend the rest of your life with. Something told him that, as hard as it was to believe, it was much more difficult. The difference was, he had no shoulder to cry on. He had to go through it all alone.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flashback
July 29th, 2005

As Julian let herself in to the house, Brian smiled as he finished lighting the last of the candles that lined the long hallway. He looked around one last time to make sure everything was perfect. He had the bottle of red wine, the roses in a crystal vase, as well as thousands of pedals scattered around the bedroom floor, bed, dressers, everywhere. Scented candles were placed with great care around the room and also lining each side of the hallway leading to the room, their colors in white and red, the scent of cinnamon and fresh air. All of the lights were turned down, the only way to guide ones way was from the flickering glow of the candles.

“Brian?” he heard her soft voice call out cautiously, “Are you here?”

“Upstairs, baby.” Brian called back, “In the bedroom.”

He waited a second, smiling when he heard her footsteps coming up the stairs, and chuckled when he heard a loud gasp, knowing she’d gotten to the beginning of her surprise. He uncorked the bottle of wine, pouring them each a glass just as she appeared in the doorway wearing a pair of tight jeans, hugging her in all the right areas and a leather jacket to keep her warm from the rain pouring outside. Her hair was damp, dripping a little, her face showing one of shock and wonderment.

“What’s this for?”

“Because I love you,”

She continued to walk slowly in to the room in awe, right in to Brian’s arms, where he embraced her in a warm hug, kissing her softly on the mouth. Thunder sounded outside followed by a flash of lightening, but neither of them cared.

“Let me help you with your jacket.” He offered, taking the coat off of Julian, placing it in to a chair nearby, “You’re soaking wet.”

Julian laughed, “I’m starting to warm up now, though.” She winked at him.

Brian felt himself beginning to get even more turned on as he felt himself growing. His heart pounded in his chest as he kissed his girlfriend in a way that was full of passion, her showing him back the same eagerness as they made their way to his bed. Before either knew it, their clothes were on the floor, them under the warm covers. Their naked bodies pressed against one another as the temperature rose from the heat of their kisses and lust. Their hands rubbed one anothers bodies in the most affectionate ways, showing their love in a way they hadn’t yet.

Breathing heavily, Brian pulled back to get some air, staring deeply in to Julian’s eyes. He knew what was about to happen, and as much as it scared him, it exhilarated him just the same. He wanted to share this experience with Julian, feeling it was time. They’d been together for five months, and had yet to. He hoped that it wouldn’t ruin their relationship, but it just felt so right, and he hoped that she was thinking the same things as him. By the look in her eyes, he would guess the answer was yes, but just in case…

‘Are you sure you want to do this?” he asked her gently, and when she nodded, swallowing, they shared a smile full of nerves and excitement.

Brian leaned back in to kiss Julian again, this time slowly rolling on top of her without putting the full weight of his body on her. And then, ever so gently, Brian inserted himself inside of her, breaking the innocence of their relationship at that moment, turning it in to something more serious, something more meaningful. Something that would change it forever.

Hearing Julian let out a soft moan of pleasure, Brian began to move up and down, in and out of her tenderly so he wouldn’t hurt her, feeling her lean up as her back arched. Holding on to her as he continued to kiss her, rub her, she too moved in sync with him as they made love, the feeling incredible, the night magical. Their breathing became even more heavy as the intimacy became more enhanced, and at the same time, both reached their climax.

“Are you almost there?” Brian asked, wanting to wait until just the right moment so that they could finish together.

“Yes…” Julian breathed, digging her nails in to the flesh on Brian’s back as she stifled a moan that ended up coming out loudly anyways.

Together, they came, both groaning their pleasure as they released. Brian could honestly say that it was the best sex he’d ever had in his life, the feeling putting him on top of the world. He could only hope that Julian felt even half of what he did.

Afterwards, Brian rolled off of his girlfriend, kissing her tenderly on the forehead as he let her lean in to him, putting her head on his shoulder. Her arm draped lazily over his stomach as they cuddled, their nude bodies pressed against one another as they fell asleep. Brian knew he would be dreaming about happy things that night, positive that this would make their relationship stronger rather than make things awkward in a way that it would destroy it. They were perfect, and nothing could change that.