- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter 7. Please leave a review so I know its still being read, cuz if its not, I get discouraged from posting. Off to work for me now...yay! lol. Enjoy!
Chapter Seven

‘This whole trial sure is taking awhile.” Nick sighed as he sipped on a cup of coffee that Kevin had made, all four of them lounging around his own Kentucky home, “Yuck, Kev…this is horrible.” He set the cup down, wishing he had bought some of the flavored stuff, or at least stuck in some cream or sugar, but knowing Kevin, he’d bought the ‘healthiest’ coffee there was.

“Then why are you drinking your third cup?” Kevin smirked, causing AJ and Howie to chuckle lightly.

Nick shrugged, “For the energy, I guess…caffeine is my friend.”

“It’s de-caff.” Kevin informed him.

“Oh, you’re no fun!” Nick exclaimed in annoyance.

“Nick proves a good point though!” AJ interrupted before an argument could break out, “This trial is taking awhile.”

“He’s being tried for murder, guys.” Kevin stated with a sigh, running a hand through his black hair, ‘God, I never thought that this would happen to us…I always thought that we were invincible from this kind of bull shit.”

“Nick wasn’t when he-“

“Don’t even go there.” Kevin interrupted AJ before he could start, already knowing where it was going, “Point is, murder trials normally take at least as long as Brian’s is, and in most cases, they could take up to years…unfortunately.”

Nobody said anything for a few moments, just sitting in the silence. There was yet another court date later that day, and after talking to Brian the day before, things were not looking good. Their friend was starting to get discouraged, the shine that had once always been in his eyes no matter what now gone completely. He hardly spoke to them, just sitting in a corner with his knees brought up against him protectively, his head held low so he wouldn’t have to look at anybody. He never smiled. Brian was giving up, and in all honesty, anybody in his situation probably would. There were countless people who were doing everything in their power to make Brian look bad.

“I’m kind of starting to think there is more to it too though,” AJ said out of nowhere, and when everybody looked at him, he elaborated more, “To what Rok is saying, that is.”

“What do you mean?” Kevin asked in dark monotone, glaring at the younger man.

“I…um…well,” AJ stuttered, nervous to speak, “His story is not adding up. When he isn’t on the stand, his story contradicts what he says in the court room. It’s just…I think he’s not admitting up to something.”

“Thank you!” Howie shouted triumphantly, glad that somebody was finally on his side in thoughts.

“You think that’s something to be proud of?” Kevin asked with his eyebrow raised, “You both feel that my cousin, your friend is guilty now?”

Howie swallowed, shrinking back slightly as AJ just shrugged. Howie felt bad for not having more faith in Brian, but he couldn’t help what his gut was telling him. And he knew that he shouldn’t have sounded so excited when AJ admitted that he was changing sides. That had come out completely wrong, and he felt his cheeks flaming up in reddened embarrassment for it. After all, if Brian was found guilty, it wasn’t exactly something that they should celebrate. He supposed that it just meant that he didn’t feel crazy any longer, being alone in his mindset. It meant that for once, somebody agreed with him…

“I don’t care what you think.” Kevin huffed, “Brian did not kill Julian.”

“I’m with Kevin,” Nick spoke up, “Bri doesn’t have it in him to kill somebody. We all should know this.”

Even as he said it though, everybody knew that the group was now divided in half, with Brian right down the middle. The trial was splitting the group of friend that had been so close for so long apart after just a few months. Their friendship was changing due to conflict in opinion, and the thing was, everybody was too angry and defensive to even really care.

“Just think about it…his story has changed several times now. He keeps adding stuff on, denying things he’s said in the past.” Howie pointed out.

“He’s upset.” Kevin shook his head in disgust, “Think about it. For once, Howard, just think. His mind isn’t on the trial. It’s on finding the love of his life…alive.”

Howie let his head hang low, deciding not to say anything more. Everybody else had grown silent as well. He figured it would just be best if he shut his mouth and think what he did, keeping it all inside of him. The conversation had started out so light and joking about coffee and turned in to a strong disliking for one another.

The trial wasn’t exactly going good, but at least there had been no change in awhile. Things were as bad as they were going to get. Kevin was confident in that. Things wouldn’t get any worse. They couldn’t…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flashback
August 1st, 2005

“Oh god, he’s off in dreamland again.” AJ rolled his eyes as they finished packing the last of their bags on to their individual busses.

“I am not!” Brian defended himself, yet his goofy smile gave him away, “I wish Jules could have been here today to see me off…so I could say goodbye to her.” He sighed.

It was time for their full-blown tour, and just three days prior, he and Julian had made love for the first time. It was the happiest moment of his entire life, but now, his heart was beginning to sink, as he had to leave again, and she still couldn’t go with them as originally planned. If everything worked out however, she would be going with them after the NewYear to finish off the tour. Five months…he just had to get through five more months without her, and then all would be right in the world again.

“Absence makes the heart grow fonder.” AJ teased, nudging Brian, who just looked over with a frown, “Whoa, mood change much.”

Brian shrugged, “I just wish her job wouldn’t make her work so much.” He stated, “She asked for this time off, but they gave her more hours yet.”

His eyes darkened, tempted to go to her work and drag her out. He wouldn’t even care if she were fired, because that would mean that he could take care of her totally and completely. Too bad she loved what she did so much…

‘Earth to Brian!” Nick called out with a grin.

Brian looked up blankly at them, confused and lost. He sighed, seeing that some clouds were rolling in. At least his flight to Tampa, where the tour was taking off, had been smooth and sunny. He always hated flying in the middle of a storm…

‘BRIAN!”

He looked up again to see four pairs of eyes watching him in amusement as well as exasperation. He shook his head, knowing that he would have to focus. If his mind wandered this much while he was on stage, there would be many disasters during the tour.

“I swear, Julian is making you become worse than Nick.” Kevin teased.

“Hey!” Nick cried out.

“She is not!” Brian defended himself at the same time, but the goofy smile appeared on his lips again, “I’m just…in love.” He sighed, “I’ve never felt this way before, guys. She’s my everything. It’s just…amazing, To wake up every morning, knowing you have that special somebody in your life that makes everything worth while. Somebody to hold, go to in times of need, somebody to love you back for who you are on the inside and out, knowing you without judging you. Accepting you. She’s the only person whose ever made my heart beat faster, and slower at the same time.” Brian looked up to see his friends looking at him as if he had grown a second head, “What?”

“Gag-o-rama!” AJ exclaimed, sticking his finger down his throat, making mock retching noises.

“That is the sappiest thing I have ever heard!” Nick groaned,

“I swear, you sound like a woman expressing her feelings!” Kevin joked, “I’m happy for you though. You deserve somebody special in your life like this.”

“Just don’t go admitting those feelings to other people,” AJ warned, “It will get your ass beat four sounding like a wuss.”

Brian rolled his eyes, realizing that it was almost time to go. He made sure his cell phone was in his pocket so he could call Julian the second he was on his bus in private, where nobody could razz him for letting his feelings free. He, for one, knew that Julian loved his soft, romantic side. What girl wouldn’t eat up being adored by their boyfriend, the guy not afraid to express how he felt because it wasn’t ‘macho’

“I’m thinking of proposing to her.”

“WHAT” he heard his friends all gasp at once.

“You’ve only been dating for like, six months.” Kevin reminded him, “Give it more time…you’re in way over your head now.”

“I’m not asking for your approval.” Brian’s eyes darkened, “And I was thinking New Years Eve…right as the clock strikes midnight. We’ll be at almost a year then.”

“We’ll support any decision you make, just think long and hard about it before you commit to anything.” Kevin patted his cousin on the back.

“We’re happy that you found somebody who makes you so happy though, honestly.” Howie added with a smile, “She’s a great woman.”

Brian said nothing as they were informed that it was time to leave, each man getting on to his own bus. He was firmly set in his decision. He was going to propose to Julian, for he refused to let her get away. She was his girlfriend, forever and always. That was how he wanted it. As he took a seat, Brian whipped out his cell phone, dialing Julian’s number. It had only been six hours, but he already missed her voice, needing to hear it to get him through another few hours. It was going to be a long five months…