- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I would've had this out yesterday, but the internet decided to be a pain! lol. So here it is. I will be away for a few days, so probably won't have Chapter 9 up til Monday...unless feedback is good, then Ill try to post by the end of the week!. THanks for the feedback on 7! You guys keep me going! :)
Chapter Eight

As the Judge called the court in to order, Brian couldn’t help but roll his eyes, trying to hide his displeasure and annoyance as best he could. It seemed that nothing was working out, going as planned. And to further prove his point, there was a nice little unexpected surprise that day. A new witness being called to the stand, sticking their nose in to the case after it had been going on for over six months. Brian wondered if that was allowed, cursing under his breath because this meant things would be slowed down even more. Why was there somebody new coming in to the picture so late in to the trial anyways?

Forcing himself to stay focused, Brian watched as a man around his age took to the stand, sitting down. He was of medium height and average build with reddish colored hair and what looked to be blue eyes from a distance. It was somebody whom Brian had never seen in his life, wondering what he had to do with anything? Was it another family member of Julian’s? A friend? He was confused, but decided he needed to listen to find out.

“So, Eric, you do not personally know Brian, is that correct?” Mr. Settina asked.

“No, sir. I don’t.”

“But you’ve seen him before?”

“Yes.”

“Please tell us what you saw.”

“Well,” Eric started, “I was driving home from work. I’m a bartender at a local bar just by the border. It was about two in the morning, and I see a car stopping on the bridge just over the Kentucky River. I stopped and turned my headlights off because it was late and a person was getting out of the car. You never know what kind of psychos are out that late, so I kept my distance,” he paused for a second before continuing on, “Whoever it was got in to the back seat, dragging something out. It was dark and I couldn’t see what it was, but he dumped it over the bridge and then got back in to his car and drove off.”

“And you think it was Mr. Littrell that you saw?”

“Yes, I believe so.”

“And you think it was a body he was carrying?”

“As I said, I was too far back, but from a distance, it looked like a possibility.”

Julian’s mother stifled a cry, bowing her head in to a tissue as Brian just looked at Eric in disbelief. His heart hammered as he wanted to cry out in protest, but he couldn’t. His mouth had become dry and he couldn’t think of a word to say, so he just sat in dumbfounded silence, staring ahead as Mr. Williams went up to question Eric, listening to what else the young man had to say about what he thought he’d seen as his own lawyer tried to make him not look bad.

“Now Eric, did you go down to the bank to try and find what it was that you say you saw Brian dumping over?”

“No sir. The water is pretty deep in the area. I just waited until he was back in his car and out of sight again before driving off myself. I didn’t really think anything of it at the time, but looking back…” he took in a deep breath.

“Did it occur to you to go to the police right then and there?” Mr. Williams questioned.

“I honestly didn’t think that it was a body. It could have been anything…a bag of garbage, logs. When I heard about this case, I started to think…I still am not one hundred percent sure what it was, but just in case…” his voice trailed off.

“But if there had been any doubt in your mind at all, you should have called the police.” Mr. Williams pressed, “Even if all that was found was a stuffed cat.”

“I’m sorry, sir. I don’t know what else to say.”

Mr. Williams sighed, “Thank you. We’ll let you know if we have further questioning.”

Eric nodded, leaving the stand, going over to the officers as he was motioned to join them. Their was a long stand still in the court room as the officers talked amongst themselves with Eric, one of them stepping outside of the room with the man. Brian could only imagine what was going to happen now. No, he already knew. They were going to send the SWAT team, Search and Rescue squad, a team of divers and Lord knew who else down to investigate and search for Julian. They were going to take Eric down to the river to point out exactly where he’d seen the crime take place. Brian hoped that they didn’t find anything, but what more could he do than just sit back and see what happened.

Not long after, the court was dismissed for the day. It had been a short day, and hadn’t even been planned. With the new witness though, the trial date had been called last minute. Tired and restless, Brian waited while the court room emptied, watching Julian’s parents go. He could see that they were breaking down and he wished he could do something to take away the pain that they were feeling. That he was feeling. Nothing could, nor probably ever would though. With a sigh of despair, Brian had a feeling that the trial was just about coming to an end. When it came down to it, he wasn’t really sure if he wanted it to after all, because that meant he was one day closer to knowing what his fate was left to. That in itself scared him to death.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flashback
December 25th, 2005

As Brian fiddled with the box containing Julian’s Christmas gift, anxiously awaiting her arrival to his house, he felt his nerves jumble up. He sure hoped she liked what he’d gotten her, because it had come from his heart, and he’d searched for months until he felt he’d found the perfect gift. After all, it was their first Christmas together, and he wanted Julian to know how much she meant to him. He didn’t even expect anything in return. All Brian wanted was to spoil his girl and show her that he would give her the world without her having to do a thing.

Hearing the doorbell right, Brian placed the gift back under the tree and got up to answer it, already knowing who it was without even having to guess. He was expecting Julian at approximately ten, followed by his siblings and parents at noon-ish, and finally, the rest of his friends later in the evening. It was tradition for them to all get together every Christmas.

“Hi sweetie!” Julian greeted him, pulling him in to a hug the second he answered the door.

“Merry Christmas, babe.” Brian replied, accepting the embrace as he planted a kiss on her, “Come in! I’ve got milk, cookies and eggnog… and was waiting for you to get here before I made you my special pancakes.”

Julian laughed, shaking her head as she took her coat off, hanging it up. She then met up with her boyfriend in the kitchen to find him already mixing the ingredients in a bowl, likely already set out and ready for when she arrived. She stood by the counter with her arms crossed over her chest, a sweet smile on her face.

“Shouldn’t it be me cooking for you?” Julian asked after several moments.

“Not a chance,” Brian joked, “This is my treat for you.”

As he finished mixing the batter, he scooped up ladles of the batter, pouring them on to the already hot griddle. They sizzled upon contact, slowly turning a golden brown as he flipped them, the scent of buttermilk filling the air. Julian closed her eyes, savoring the scent, realizing it may have been the best thing she’d ever smelled. Then again, it was coming from Brian. She was biased on everything involving him.

After they were finished, Brian prepared them by spreading butter across the warm surface, followed by mini chocolate chips, whipped cream and a side of strawberry topping. Julian had never seen anything like it, but trusted his judgment as she took the plate from him.

“Thank you.” She whispered softly, following Brian to the living room where he had a fire going and a small blanket spread out right in front of it. He sat down, and she did too, looking around, “You put a lot of thought in to this, didn’t you?”

“Anything for you.” Brian smiled, leaning in to kiss her, as she looked simply irresistible.

“It’s romantic.” Julian blushed faintly, cutting a small bite of the pancakes off with the side of her fork, putting it in to her mouth. Immediately, she closed her eyes, the taste unbelievable, “Mmm…my God, these are fantastic!” she exclaimed

“It’s a secret family recipe,” Brian winked, “But if you play your cards right, I just might let you in on it.”

Julian laughed as she slapped Brian playfully across the arm. For the next several minutes, the two just ate, enjoying each others company as the warm fire flickered around them, Christmas Carols playing softly in the background. When both were finished, Brian took Julian’s plate and his own to he kitchen, washing them and sticking them in the dishwasher before returning, sitting back down next to her, pulling her in to his arms.

“I’m glad you’re here with me today.” He admitted openly, “It means a lot to me.”

“I wouldn’t dream of spending today with anybody else.”

Brian smiled as he kissed her again on the tip of her nose. This was the life. He couldn’t ask for anything more perfect nor something that would make him happier. To Brian, it couldn’t get any better than this. Reaching behind him under the tree, he figured it was time to give Julian his gift to her. Taking it in his hand, he brought it forward, handing it towards her, laughing when her eyes widened in surprise.

‘For you.” He explained, his heart racing as she took it, crossing his fingers in his mind that she would love it as much as he thought she would.

“You really didn’t have to…” her voice trailed off as she slowly and neatly unfolded the golden foil wrapping paper to reveal a small rectangular velvet box. Slowly, she opened the lid to expose a silver bracelet with the tiniest of diamonds rounding the circumference of it. She gasped, taking it out gingerly as if it would snap by the weight of her fingertips, “Ohh..”

“Let me help you with it,” Brian smiled, taking it and putting it around her wrist, clasping the ends together, “There.”

Julian looked down, admiring the glittering beauty of the bracelet, knowing that it had to have cost him a small fortune, “It’s gorgeous…” her voice trailed off, at loss for words on how to describe how she felt about it.

‘Glad you like it.” Brian grinned, looking at her cautiously when she handed him an envelope she’d retrieved from her purse, “What’s this?”

“My gift for you…” she shrugged, “It’s nothing great…nothing compared to what you got me, but I tried…” her voice trailed off nervously as he opened the envelope, taking the card out and reading it, “I hope you like it anyways.”

Brian continued to read, opening the card up to reveal his gift inside. His eyes widened in utter surprise as he squinted, bringing it up as if he thought he were seeing things, before looking back up at Julian.

“These are tickets to the Super Bowl.” He exclaimed, an excited smile on his face, “At the fifty yard line…in the best section.”

“I tried…since I know you love football and all…and I know you could get tickets yourself without a problem, but…”

‘It’s perfect!” Brian promised, hushing her with a kiss. He’d never felt so much love for anybody in all his life, and the gift showed how much she cared about him. And behind it yet, was a hotel confirmation to the finest Hotel, Spa and Resort in the country for one full week of pampering for the two of them, the date set for the second week of May. He could only imagine how much she’d gone through to get him everything, and appreciated it more than he could ever express. It was turning out to be his most special and memorable Christmas yet. With his heart swollen with pride and adoration that she was his, Brian figured it was time to ask her a question he’d been wanting to ask for a few weeks time now, “Jules, this means everything to me. You mean everything to me.” He took in a deep breath, “Would you consider moving in with me?”

Her eyes widened in surprise as her mouth dropped slightly. And then, without a second more of hesitation, she gave him her answer…