- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry about the wait... this chapter will be worth it!
"Oh, wow! This bracelet is beautiful... and it comes in a style for males!" Stephanie gushed, gazing into a jewelry case outside the ritzy Tiffany's store. She and Ana had been walking around the city all day, window shopping and munching on various foods from vendors.

"And enough to break my bank account five times over," Ana decided as she glanced away from the glittering jewels, stuffing her hands into the back pockets of her faded jeans. Kicking her foot lightly against the sidewalk, she released a soft sigh. Howie and Brian had given the girls credit cards to get themselves some things for the tour. Stephanie had done a bit of light shopping. But Ana had refused to spend a dime. Still feeling the card in her back pocket, she groaned softly.

"Brian did give you his credit card for a reason. Will you stop being so damn stubborn and at least buy one thing so Brian won't feel bad? I don't think it would kill you," Stephanie tore away from the display with a roll of her eyes.

"I'm not being stubborn--"

"What do you call it, then?"

"Not using his money for ego-intensive purposes," Ana stated quite seriously as she continued through the streets with Stephanie tucked close to her side.

"But he wants you to get something!"

"And I did get a few things already--"

"Not today and not with his money!"

"Minor technicalities."

"Minor technicalities my ass. Why would it be so hard to buy something with his credit card? He knows you're not going to abuse it--"

"I don't want him thinking that I'm sniffing around for his bank account, Stephanie," Ana scorned, keeping her hands tucked in her back pockets as her small cell phone vibrated in the front. She knew it was a text message, but held off, squirming slightly at the sensation.

"He knows you're not. You've told him that, I've told him that... the man's smarter than people think. He got our point that you're not after his money," Stephanie grabbed one of Ana's hands and pulled them out of the pocket, Brian's credit card flying out. She easily caught it and held it in front of Ana. "He gave you to this for a reason."

"He also gave me his penis, but you don't see me abusing that--" Ana smirked at Stephanie's offended glance. "Okay, so maybe I do abuse that..."

"You are so crude sometimes--"

"Well I don't abuse him. I love on him--"

"CT! We're talking about money, not sex!" Stephanie blurted, loud enough that a few passerby's turned their heads in surprise.

"God you've never been in a big city before," Ana laughed.

"Shut up," Stephanie growled, quickly pulling them into the next store she saw.

"Someone's impatient today," Ana decided with a squeal of surprise as her phone vibrated with another text message.

"Me or whoever's text'ing you?"

"Both!"

"You need to buy something and who's text'ing you anyway?"

"I don't know, I haven't checked," Ana answered, glancing around to see Stephanie had brought her into Old Navy. It had been so long since she had shopped for just regular clothing instead of professional duds. Glancing around, she yelped as she found her phone and Stephanie tugged her toward the bikinis. "Cocci! Damnit!"

"We're going to be in tons of hotels throughout this tour and knowing you, the only bathing suit you have is the one you had back in Minnesota. Am I right?" Stephanie continued, ignoring Ana's outburst as they reached the skimpier bikinis.

"And what's so wrong with--"

"Ana, if it's over two summers old, you need to get a new one."

"Mine is just--" Ana yelped in horror as the cell phone was snatched from her hands and she was shoved toward the skimpy bikinis. "Cocci!"

"You're buying a bikini and it's going to be with his credit card. Then we're going to find a couple of outfits," Stephanie slipped the cell phone into her purse.

"Who sent me a text?!"

"You'll find out once you buy some things."

"I'd rather see it now--"

"It's not from work, so you can calm down. Now if you don't pick out some clothes, I will... and they'll all be pink!"

"Doesn't mean I'll wear them."

"Stop being difficult."

"I'm paying with my credit card."

"No you're not, because I took that, too."

"That's theft!"

"No, it's being practical. For God's sakes, CT, let someone spoil you for once in your life!"

"I spoil myself--"

"I said someone, not you."

"But--"

"AND YOU DON'T EVEN SPOIL YOURSELF!"

"Can I just have my phone?"

"Don't change the subject!"

"I--" Ana groaned as she was shoved toward the bikinis once more, several being thrown in her direction. Ducking the first few, she then tripped on a strap and cursed. Yanking the pink bikini from underfoot, she growled a threat toward Stephanie and started to look.

"That's more like it," Stephanie nodded with approval, checking out some for herself.

"Dead. She's so freaking dead," Ana mumbled.

"I can hear you," Stephanie replied in a singsong voice.

"Like I give a shit," Ana returned in the same obnoxious mantra, flipping through the variety of shapes, styles, colors, and textures of bikinis. She wasn't even sure why she had accepted the invitation to go on tour. She would be leaving work for an extended period with no great benefit-- She then though of Brian whispering softly against her ear and she smiled appreciatively. He was so kind to her. So loving and attentive. She wished he knew the depth of her attraction to him.

"What are you thinking about?" Stephanie inquired as she watched the moods change through Ana's facial features. And, at her friend's funny little grin, Stephanie had to stop.

"Nothing."

"You're thinking about something. You always grin like that when you are."

"Hardly."

"Did New York make you even more stubborn?"

"No--" Ana heard Stephanie's snort and glanced upward with a small smirk. "Okay, maybe... And I was thinking about Brian..."

"I should have known," Stephanie looped a bikini over her arm and walked to her best friend. "What about Brian?"

"Anything... Everything... Nothing..."

"You've really fallen for him, haven't you?"

"I didn't say--"

"You didn't have to. I can see it in your eyes."

"You're not going to tell him are you?"

"No way. That's your business to tell him, not mine."

"I don't want to freak him out or make him mad or..." Ana shrugged helplessly as Stephanie disappeared inside the dressing room. Sinking onto the nearby couch, Ana stared at her reflection. Who was she to have Brian's heart? And who said that she actually did? This was a new relationship. Far too new.

"I can tell you one thing: it would not freak him out or make him mad. His reaction would be anything but negative. He cares a lot about you," Stephanie spoke from inside the room.

"He hardly knows anything about me."

"That doesn't mean he can't care about you."

"But--"

"But nothing," Stephanie opened the door and peeked her head out. "He cares about you."

"Do you think he loves me?" Ana inquired before she could stop herself.

Stephanie chuckled, smiling softly. "I know he does."

"...Really?"

"Really."

"He told you, didn't he?"

"Nope."

"But--"

"Like with you, I saw it in his eyes. How he talks about you, how he touches you, how he smiles when he's with you... he loves you."

"Cocci..." Ana groaned as she leaned back on the couch, startled when her cell phone landed into her lap. Lurching forward, she hurriedly flipped it open, hoping to find a message from Brian. Or perhaps a few more.

"I'm sure those texts will answer any doubts in your mind, CT."

"You probably read them..."

"I most certainly did not! I saw who they were from and that's it."

"Sure..." Ana trailed with a small laugh, hurriedly clicking into her text inbox.

"Are they all unread or read from Brian?" Stephanie inquired after a few moments of silence.

"What?" Ana questioned in confusion.

"In other words: did you falsely accuse me of snooping?"

"Unread--"

"Falsely accused!"

"Are you done trying on bikinis yet?"

"No, I'm admiring myself--"

"Do you want to read what Brian wrote?"

"You'll let me read them?"

"Would I ask if I didn't want you to?"

"Do you have to be such a smartass?"

"You'd think I was ill if I wasn't," Ana decided, tossing her cell phone over the divider.

"Hmmm... good point," Stephanie chuckled as she flipped through the messages from Brian. "Aw, he's so sweet! I never get texts like that from Howie."

"Don't even start this comparing of relationships," Ana groaned, leaning against the wall as she crossed her arms underneath her breasts. Though, she couldn't help but smile at the remembrance of what Brian wrote. He was no doubt the sweetest man she had ever met. And, it was surreal to say that she had a chance of calling him her own.

"Well it's true," Stephanie huffed playfully with a pout, coming out of the dressing room with a couple of bikinis she thought Howie would love best.

"Then tell him to text you," Ana stated simply, noting her cell phone was vibrating once more. "Read that one to me?"

Stephanie flipped the cell phone open and giggled. "He says 'I can't wait until we're alone tonight so I can hear you whisper my name'--"

"That's enough!" Ana squealed in shock, not expecting the text to be so private. She lunged toward her friend in horror, feeling the heat rise to her cheeks.

"You son-of-a--"

"I love you, too! Now c'mon, we got to pay for all this. And you're using Brian's credit card."

"Bull--"

"His feelings will be hurt if you don't use it."

"I didn't even pick anything out. You use the card and we'll give him the receipt and his feelings won't be hurt," Ana bargained.

"I picked some things out for you while you were trying on bikinis and you're getting one of those, too. So no deal."

"Cocci--"

"For once in your life, let yourself be spoiled. You deserve it."

"I don't feel like I deserve it..."

"But you do." Stephanie hugged the younger woman tightly.

"I just can't..."

"Is this the kind of relationship you'll have with Brian, never letting him buy a thing for you? CT, c'mon... if not for me, for Brian."

"I just don't want him to think that I can't take care of myself. I've lived all my life taking care of myself. I haven't borrowed money to make ends meet ever. I've done everything on my own."

"Honey, believe me," Stephanie chuckled softly, kissing Ana's cheek. "He knows that you can take care of yourself. He's seen your amazing apartment, what you do for a living, how you lead your life... he knows. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't allow yourself to be spoiled."

"I don't want him thinking that I'm only with him, because--"

"He knows that you're with him because you love him, not his bank account."

"I guess..."

"Will you please use his credit card? It'll make him happy."

"Just once..."

"That'll do for now," Stephanie grinned, gathering all their clothing as they walked towards the cashier.


~*~*~*~*~


"I'm bored," Nick whined as he plopped down on the couch next to Brian.

"You could have gone shopping with the girls," Howie suggested with a roll of his eyes, working on his laptop.

Arching his dark blonde brows, Nick turned toward his best friend with a wicked grin. "I thought you said I couldn't do shopping with them? 'Cause I could have helped Ana get some awesome bikinis. I'd help her try them on--"

"That's exactly why I didn't want you to go shopping with them," Brian groaned, smacking Nick's face lightly with the magazine he was reading.

"Brian!" Nick whined in shock, jerking backward from the reprimand. "What do you got against me?!"

"You're a natural flirt and I don't want you flirting with my girlfriend?"

"'Fraid she might like lighter blondes compared to darker ones?" Nick continued to egg, knowing he had struck a chord in Brian's heart. It was a playful jib that even caused Howie to look up from his computer to see the consequences.

"More like... you should respect how I feel and leave it at that?" Brian narrowed his light blue eyes.

"But we could be best friends!"

"Not if you hit on her!"

"What's that supposed to mean?!"

"You know what it means!"

"No--"

"You can be friends with Ana if you stop hitting on her. Do we have to draw it out for you?" AJ interrupted with an agitated grunt.

"Well, what's the fun in that when she hits back?" Nick disagreed with a disgruntled snort. Sitting back on the couch, he kicked his feet up on coffee table.

"She does not!" Brian hit him with the magazine again.

"Stop abusing me!"

"Stop making me abuse you!"

"It ain't my fault!"

"The Hell it--"

"You swore!" AJ and Nick gasped together.

"It's in the Bible!" Brian defended himself as Howie snorted with laughter.

"How Ana tolerates you..." AJ trailed with honest amusement as he shook his head.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Brian growled with defense, wanting to throw the magazine toward AJ though Nick yanked it from his hands. The relationship between himself and Ana had been growing to astronomical heights, but he was still insecure. Especially as he thumbed the fading scars on his body. "...Is she... I mean..."

"Smooth, AJ, real smooth," Howie groaned, throwing a pillow at AJ's face. "He didn't mean it like that, Brian. You know that the girl loves you unconditionally."

"Hell ain't she dropping everything to come on tour with us?" Nick voiced as he scowled at AJ.

"Exactly. Leighanne never did that for you, did she? Ana would give you her world if you asked for it, man. Don't doubt your relationship with her."

"So, she really is coming?" AJ asked.

"That's why she and Stephanie are out shopping; to get some clothes and things for the tour."

"Well then why the Hell are you listening to me, B? I'm just a fuck-nut," AJ rasped with a throaty laugh, nudging Brian's leg for emphasis.

"More like a major fuck-nut," Brian murmured with a small smile.

"You're lucky to have her, B."

"I know. I thank God every night for her--"

"Me too!" Nick whistled.

"Why do you always ruin a good moment?" Howie groaned.

"Because it's my nature?" Nick guessed with a shrug.

"Or because you're asking for this?" Howie took another pillow and threw it at the younger man.

"HEY!" Nick shrieked in shock.

"You asked for it!"

"I did not--"

"You did, too!" Howie, AJ and Brian gathered the pillows and bombarded Nick.

"Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! ABUSE!"

"You want abuse? I'll give you abuse!" AJ grabbed Nick's lanky leg and pulled him onto the floor. "DOGPILE!"

"Oh. Dear. God..." Stephanie trailed in bewilderment as she stepped into the living room suite with her bags and Ana behind her. They had finished a full day of shopping and had every intention of falling onto couches with their loved ones. But, watching AJ pound his scrawny body on top of Nick was a sight. "Do they need a room?"

"God, I love dogpiles!" Ana chirped with excitement, launching her own skinny frame onto the top.

"I am in Hell. Those three are Satan's spawns and I'm stuck babysitting without getting paid..." Stephanie's eyes grew wide as she dropped their bags on the floor and watched the horror grow in front of her.

"You aren't the only one," Howie reminded her as he held his legs up as Nick, AJ, and Ana rolled past. Somehow, Ana had ended up in the middle of the fight, being tickled mercilessly.

"Okay, we're in Hell," Stephanie corrected herself, falling into her boyfriend's lap.

"And you were just dying for her to come on tour with us too, Steph--"

"Boob! Boob! You're crushing my boob!"

"Nick's or Ana's?"

"HEY! I do not have boobs--"

"Well you will if you keep grabbing at mine like that!" Ana growled.

"CARTER!" Brian seethed.

"IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!" Nick promised, rolling Ana onto her back as he flipped AJ over his shoulder.

"Is it too late to hide from the bloodshed?" Stephanie yelped as Brian launched himself off the loveseat.

"Because I don't want the blood to ruin my clothes!"

"I can buy you new ones."

"But--"

"IT WAS AN ACCIDENT! DON'T KILL ME, THE FANS WOULD BE DEVASTATED!" Nick shrieked.

"We'll find a replacement!" Brian grunted as he freed Ana from Nick's clutches. Helping her toward the side, he then grabbed Nick's feet. Without warning, he yanked them above his friend's head, sending Nick's voice into a nasally, high pitched squeak.

"What are you planning to do, clean and gut him like a deer?" AJ snorted with laughter.

"It was a thought!" Brian growled, throwing Nick's legs up higher above his head.

"FRACK! I'M SORRY! PLEASE, I'LL DO ANYTHING!" Nick pleaded, his face turning red from the blood rushing down.

AJ suddenly perked up. "Now that's tempting."

"Take the offer!" Stephanie added.

"Now wait, when I said--" Nick squealed when his legs were thrust higher. "Okay! Okay! Anything! Anything! Anything!"

"Make it good, Bri!"

"Hmm..." Brian bit his bottom lip in thought.

"This'll take forever," Nick whined.

"I could still gut you--"

"Okay, okay, take your time!"

"Brian, don't kill your best friend, who else is going to put up with you?" Ana teased good naturedly as she brushed her hands down her jean shorts. Once she was satisfied they were clean, she swept them into her long golden curls to pull them into a messy bun. She loved roughhousing with AJ and Nick.

"But he--"

"It was an accident. I promise. Now will you put him down?" she smiled as she walked over to Brian and wrapped her arms around his waist from behind.

"Ana..." Brian whined.

"Brian..." Ana whined in return, beginning to kiss the nape of his neck.

"Ana..." Brian suddenly growled without warning.

"She's macking on him! Get her off!" Nick squealed.

"I think that's punishment enough," AJ laughed suddenly, unaware of the door to their suite being opened. Instead, he found himself caught in the playful wrestle that began to occur between the lovers. Brian grabbing at Ana's waist to pull her down into a pin, fighting her kisses with many of his own.

"Damn, it went from a potential bloodshed to... to... what's the word..." Stephanie trailed off in thought as she and Howie continued to watch.

"Soft-core porno?" AJ guessed.

"That could work--"

"She's kind of frisky, it might turn into something more--"

"BRIAN!" Kevin's voice suddenly bellowed, breaking up any potential romance bliss for the couple curled upon the floor. Stepping over Nick's huddled body, Kevin grabbed the collar of Ana's shirt, jerking her into a standing position without any regard for her well-being. "Get the fuck off him!"

"LET HER GO!" Brian and Stephanie shouted, though Brian was the first to come to Ana's rescue.

Struggling slightly in Kevin's vice-like grip, Ana jerked till she heard the loud tear of her shirt. Falling backward to the carpet, she heaved a frightened breath of air as she scrambled into a standing position, attempting to conceal her exposed upper torso. Her neck throbbed from where the cloth had cut into her skin, convinced that the brush burn was oozing with a small amount of blood. But, she said nothing, hurrying for the door.

"ANA! ANA, WAIT!" Brian turned to run after her.

"Jesus Christ..." Nick whispered, horrified to see pieces of Ana's shirt still wrapped in Kevin's fists. His chest heaved with ragged breaths as his emerald eyes flashed with annoyance. He was on the verge of a breakdown, saying nothing to the others as he stalked into his bedroom suite, slamming the door behind him.

"I'm going to fucking kill him!" Stephanie raved, following the older man without a thought of anything else. "KEVIN! YOU FUCKING COWARD, GET THE FUCK BACK HERE! I'M GOING TO HIT YOU SO FUCKING HARD YOUR ANCESTORS HEADS WILL FUCKING SPIN!"

"Stephanie!" Howie gasped in horror, lurching off the couch to catch her before she walked into a tornado of insults and angry backlash.

"FUCKING ASSHOLE! YOU LIKE TO HURT WOMEN SO MUCH, LET'S SEE HOW YOU DO WITH ME!" Stephanie ignored everyone else, concentrated on the task of beating Kevin senseless for hurting her best friend. She slammed the door open with a growl. "YOU'RE FUCKING DEAD!"

"Stephanie! It was an accident!" Howie protested, looping his arms tightly around her waist to draw her back. Especially as Kevin stepped to match her defiant stare.

"ACCIDENT MY FUCKING ASS! LET ME GO!" Stephanie screamed, fighting his grasp before finally slamming her foot down onto his. He yelped and let her go, which gave her time to launch herself at Kevin with all the strength she had. "YOU FUCKING BASTARD!"

"This isn't your fight!" Kevin growled in disbelief, countering Stephanie's little body weight as his fingers embedded into her wrists. Taking a deep breath, he flung her into the hallway. "This is between my cousin and me. Stay out!"

Stephanie seemed to almost fly in the air before she actually landed hard on the floor, her head thudding against the carpet; which brought stars to her eyes. But it didn't deter her from more pressing matters as she struggled to stand. "Brian can see who he fucking wants and you need to fucking stay out of his personal life! I swear to God, I will murder you in your sleep if you ever touch my best friend like that again!"

"Some best friend when she's practically having sex with my baby cousin in the middle of a public living room!"

"It's called cuddling, you psychotic asshole! Has it been that long since you got something from Kristin?!"

Howie paled. "Stephanie--"

"Keep her the fuck away from me, Howie, I swear to God," Kevin threatened with an overwhelming amount of spite, slamming the room to his suite once more.


~*~*~*~*~


"This is such bullshit! How can you even say what he did to Ana was an accident? Are you all that blind?! He was trying to choke her and the only reason he didn't was because her shirt tore!" Stephanie ranted, holding an ice pack against her head.

"He wasn't trying to choke her..." AJ murmured, keeping his gaze far away from Stephanie as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat. What had happened in the living room had been astonishing to say the very least. He had never seen Kevin react so violently before. Something just didn't seem to add up.

"Oh, and her gasps for breath were just an act!" Stephanie scoffed with a roll of her eyes. "Kevin ain't perfect and you're all in denial what he did. Pieces of her shirt were clutched in his hands!"

"He thought Brian was--"

"There isn't an excuse for what he did," Nick mumbled, running his hands repeatedly through his platinum streaked locks.

"Damn right--"

"You don't even know how protective Kevin is," AJ interrupted.

"There's a difference between being protective and violent!"

"She wasn't hurt--"

"Her neck was bleeding, asshole."

"You barely saw her because she freaked--"

"I saw the fucking blood and you would be freaked out too if someone tried to choke you!" Stephanie spat, chucking her ice pack at AJ. "And fuck you if you don't understand!"

"Stephanie," Howie chided with shock as he reached to grasp the ice pack before it made contact with his friend. Hissing against the stinging sensation of his palm, he offered a stern glare toward Stephanie as well as AJ. "Like we need a repeat of what just happened! Sit down and calm down!"

"Not while that fucking asshole is set on making sure Ana is six feet under--"

AJ snorted. "He's not trying to kill her, don't be so fucking dramatic."

"It just bothers you that Kevin isn't the saint you thought he was!"

"I never claimed him to be a saint--"

"Would you guys stop arguing?!" Nick hollered in disgust.

"I'm with Nick. Please stop," Howie pleaded, glancing at his girlfriend and best friend. "Arguing isn't going to change what happened, nor is it going to prevent it from happening again."

"Then what are you going to do about it?" Stephanie fired toward Howie, holding out an accusatory finger. "She's coming on tour with us. He's going on tour. How are you going to keep him from hurting her? 'Cause he's going to kill her!"

"We have three busses to split between the five of us. You, Ana, Brian and myself can have one, Nick and AJ share another and Kevin gets his own in case Kristin comes along for part of the tour. In the hotels there aren't going to be penthouses, so Ana and Brian could have a room right next to us," Howie suggested, staying calm as he grabbed her hand and lowered it.

"And you think that solves everything?" Stephanie gritted. "That man came out of no where and grabbed onto Ana like she was a criminal--"

"It's the only thing we can do, Stephanie! What more do you want?"

"SOMETHING! ANYTHING!"

"Stephanie--"

"Just leave me the Hell alone!" Stephanie growled, ripping her hand away from Howie's grasp.

"Stephanie!"

"I said leave me alone. I have no problem hitting you with my ice pack."

"Where are you going?"

"Like any of you really care," Stephanie snorted.

Howie wanted to tell her otherwise, but she was already stalking out of the suite and slamming the door as loud as she possibly could. The rattle of the door sent a cold chill racing through his body, causing him to wilt into the nearby couch. He understood where Stephanie was coming from, but she truly didn't understand Kevin. He was just extremely protective of Brian. He wouldn't have hurt Ana intentionally... Would he?


~*~*~*~*~


Ana fought to control the ragged sobs fighting to break free from her aching chest. Having already stumbled down several flights of stairs in order to reach the outside, clutching at the tatters left over from her t-shirt. She was stunned at what had just happened to her. She had never expected Kevin to lash out at her. Blood was trickling down her back from the harsh burns Kevin caused with the friction of his pull. She just needed to get away. Clawing at her throat as she fought to breathe, ignorant of her slight nudity, she fumbled to open her car door.

"ANA! ANA, WAIT!" Brian almost fell onto the ground as the back door burst open, but he kept moving as he saw Ana try to get into her car. "ANA!"

Furiously shaking her head, Ana's hands trembled as she attempted to slide her key into the lock. But it was useless as her keychain clattered to the floor. She jumped at the sharp clatter of keys on the pavement, turning to slide her back down her cold car, folding her hands against her face to sob.

"Ana... oh, Sweetheart..." Brian sighed heavily as he immediately sat down on the ground with her, attempting to pull her into his arms.

"What the Hell is wrong with him?!" Ana yelped with pain as Brian's hand slid behind her neck, causing a shockwave of pain to rip down her spine as he withdrew his hand to find a splatter of blood.

"Oh my God... I don't know what's wrong with him, but I will once I kill him," Brian seethed, wiping the blood off on his jeans. He pulled out his lucky bandana from his back pocket and dabbed at the cut.

"Don't--Don't--Don't--" Ana whimpered with a sharp whine of pain, reaching to grasp his wrist to still his movements. "It hurts."

"I'm sorry, but you're bleeding--"

"I'd rather bleed than have it hurt more."

"Ana..." Brian murmured softly, wanting to look at her back, though she shielded it. He could already see the ring of the burn staring at the front of her neck. A trickle of blood followed the soft trial between the crevice of her breasts. And, he suddenly realized she was naked.

"Just leave me alone," Ana demanded, sniffling as she brought her knees to her chest for protection.

"No, I will not. Come on, I'll drive you home and take a better look at your back--"

"No."

"No?"

"No. I can't be with you, Brian. Your cousin made that perfectly clear."

"When did--"

"Brian, he just yanked me off you by my shirt, ripping it to pieces. He... He..." Ana could hardly complete her sentence as a sharp hiccup choked her words. Leaning forward, she shuddered at the mere thought of what else Kevin could be capable of. He obviously wanted her nowhere near his cousin. She would have to respect that, because she had no doubt she'd be dead otherwise.

"Ana--"

"Brian, I love you. I really do. But your cousin... he's got this rage that no one can control... and I'm caught in the middle of it when I'm with you."

"I won't let you get hurt--"

Ana glanced up in shock. "Brian, look at me."

"Ana--"

"He's going to end up hurting me. Bad."

"I can't--"

"I'm not getting hurt again," Ana whispered, shifting away from Brian's embrace.

"Ana! I need you..."

"And I need to stay alive, Brian. Do you know what it's like, to have someone hate you so much they could kill you?"

"He's not going to kill you--"

"How do you know?"

"Because I know--"

"Just like you knew he would never physically hurt me?"

"Ana--"

"Just let me get up," Ana interrupted, pushing Brian away gently as she moved to stand. Stumbling slightly, she reached out to grasp hold of her car for means of leverage. Her body ached with a severe rip of pain and she slammed a fist on her hood.

"Damnit Ana, at least let wear my shirt," Brian peeled off his camp shirt.

"Just go back upstairs," Ana whispered, squeezing her eyes shut as she felt his t-shirt drape lightly over her shoulders. Heavier tears rained down her pale cheeks as she struggled for a calming breath, but nothing ever seemed to go her way.

"No."

"Brian--"

"No."

"Brian, I can't--"

"I'm not going to let you go. God had us run into each other for a reason, Ana. I don't think He would let someone like Kevin come in-between something that can last forever."

"I just want to go home..."

"Let me take you home and take care of you."

"I don't need you to take care of me," Ana murmured, leaning down to grasp the keys to her car, but Brian beat her to it. Gently looping his arms around her waist, he guided her toward the passenger side, helping her into the car. She wanted to object to his decision, but hardly mustered the strength to decline as Brian hurried toward the driver's side. "...I don't think we should be together..."

"What are you talking about?" Brian questioned in confusion as he revved the engine to the car, feeling his heart drop.

"Kevin scares me..."

"But I thought you wanted to be with me."

"Kevin's--"

"I'll handle Kevin."

"Brian, you were right there and you--"

"I'll fix things, Ana. I don't want to lose you."

"Can you just please drive me home?"

"Will you promise to stay with me?"

"Brian--"

"He's not going to kill you or hurt you. I won't let that happen."

"Just drive me home, Brian, please."

"Fine."

"Please don't be mad at me," Ana whispered as she felt the car jerk to a start as he pulled away from the hotel. Glancing upward at the rows of lighted windows, Ana shivered as she slumped in her seat, keeping her back to Brian.

"I'm not mad at you. I could never be mad at you," Brian replied softly as he sped down the street.

"...Then why were you so short just then?"

"Because I want to kill my cousin for making me lose the one great thing I had in my life. You."

"Brian..." Ana sighed softly, cupping a tender hand over the back of her flaming neck. Tears continued to slide down her flushed cheeks as she pressed her forehead to the cool window. She loved Brian with all her heart, but Kevin was too violent. She wasn't sure she could withstand the pain again, especially as her hands continued to tremble with fear.

"I want to be with you. I want to spend the rest of my life you. And because of him, I won't have that. I know you're scared and... I can't make you do anything you don't want," Brian kept his eyes on the road, a single tear rolling down his cheek.

"I love you so much, Brian," Ana whispered as he pulled up to her apartment complex, easing the car into the number slot designated for her car. Hurriedly, she fumbled for the door, stumbling onto the pavement as she clutched Brian's t-shirt to her trembling body.

"Ana, wait--"

"I need to get inside," she explained as she slammed her car door shut, hurrying up the steps of her apartment complex, hoping no one was looking.

"Ana!" Brian chased after her.

"Brian," Ana yelped in shock when she attempted to step inside the elevator, only to have him yank her backward. She noticed the attendant of her complex offer her a suspicious glance, but she shook her head. "Just come upstairs with me before you make a scene."

Brian relinquished his grip on her arm and they walked into the elevator. The ride up was uncomfortable, to say the least, and when the doors finally opened Ana rushed to her apartment with Brian close behind.

Brian followed her to the bathroom, but stopped at the doorway to give her a little privacy before she got into the tub. "Ana, we need to talk."

"Can't I take a bath first?"

"I'd rather--"

"Then come in, it ain't like you haven't seen any of this before," Ana grumbled, closing the glass door that sillhoutted her beautiful frame in a opaque haze.

"Excuse me for trying to give you some privacy," Brian grumbled back as he walked in. His mouth dropped slightly as he watched her behind the glass door. Even a simple shadow of her body made him fall in love with her all over again.

"I think you were beyond giving me privacy when you chased me down the hallway."

"What do you expect, Ana? To just let you leave my life as soon as you entered it when you know how I feel about you?"

"I was hoping..." she murmured softly, stepping underneath the wave of water in hopes to drown herself.

"What?" Brian questioned as he moved to sit on her closed toilet, bracing his forearms on his knees as he clasped his hands.

"Nothing... Brian, look--" Ana moved to open the glass door of her shower, staring at Brian as if she were attempting to break off their relationship. But, noting the darkness in his usually cerulean eyes, she frowned. Reaching out, she grasped the front of his shirt, pulling him up. "C'mere..."

"Please don't make me let you go," Brian whispered, standing up on her gentle pull as he wrapped his arms around her.

"I just don't want to cause any bad blood between you and your family," Ana explained softly as Brian actually stepped into her shower, not caring that he was fully clothed.

"If he was family, he would be happy I found someone as great as you," Brian buried his face into the crook of her neck, gently inhaling the sweet scent of her shampoo.

"He's your blood, Brian, you can't deny that," Ana murmured softly, brushing her hands down his bare back.

"He may be my blood, but I'm not letting him run my life. I want to be with you and no one else."

"If he tries to hurt me again--"

"He won't."

"Stay here tonight," Ana suddenly whispered softly, tilting her head to kiss his jaw.

"Mmm... I'm staying here tonight..." Brian moaned, bringing her closer to his body.

"Really?" Ana questioned, her kisses ending at the corner of his mouth.

"Really," Brian looked down into her deep blue eyes and smiled. "I love you."

"I love you more," she promised, her hands dropping to the belt of his pants.

"Oh yeah?" he nibbled on her neck as she undid his belt.

"Need me to prove it?" she questioned, unzipping his baggy cargo shorts. Easing her hands underneath his boxers.

"Ana..." he moaned at her sensual touches.

"What?"

"I love you more," he brought their lips together for a passionate kiss as he closed the shower door behind them.