- Text Size +
Hearing the excited coos and squeals filtering from Nick's bedroom had deterred Alana from joining the rest of the group in Brian's backyard for a buffet of barbequed wonder. It had been a long day at work before she had been invited for dinner, but she quickly agreed at Nick's hopeful tones. Grateful in the knowledge of being able to walk into Nick's arms for a comforting embrace, she still couldn't resist stopping in Nick's empty bedroom in order to see Zachary. Even though she knew Nick was trying to lay down the infant for a nap. But, when she crawled onto the bed and caught Zachary's cobalt eyes, she knew that he wouldn't be sleeping. He seemed to light up as he squealed with sheer excitement, throwing his arms and legs out with a sigh of sweet delight. His babble seemed to ramble as she reached to pluck him from the security of the pillows. "How's my favorite little man doing today? I missed you, Zachie."

"Your favorite little man?" Nick repeated slowly as he leaned in the doorway, watching her. Smiling at the way she snuggled Zachary close, he saw a glow in her eyes that always lit up when the baby was near. "…He's supposed to be taking a nap… We've had a busy day of zombie movies and kicking Brian's butt in video games, ain't we, Son?"

"It was a long day and work and he was--" At Nick's skeptical glance, she shrugged her shoulders helplessly, unable to hide her smile when Zachary reached for her fingers to chew upon. Moving to sit at the edge of the bed, she watched Zachary's curious nature glow as he nibbled on her fingers with several coos. As hard as she had tried, she couldn't keep the barriers of her heart fortified against Zachary's charms. Just like she had been unable to keep Nick away. "…He takes after his father, what can I say?"

"He was all you could think about?" Nick questioned hopefully, wincing when the back door slammed shut. From the open window came the gleeful squeals of Baylee as he begged AJ and Howie to play a game with him. Turning his attention to Alana and Zachary, he grinned.

"Something like that," Alana murmured softly as she nuzzled her face against Zachary's face, eliciting a sweet coo. When she glanced up to Nick, she realized that not only had she been thinking about Zachary for most of the day, but him as well. With soft gasp, she realized that these two men were the most important people in her life.

"Beautiful?" Nick murmured hesitantly, fiddling with the hem of his t-shirt as he moved to sit on the edge of the bed. The question had been plaguing him for several days, and he suddenly realized he had to have an answer. "…Are we still… Together?"

"What?" Alana questioned in surprise, glancing sideways as she curled Zachary close to her chest, allowing Zachary to nestle his head gently against her breasts with a pleased sigh. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we have some amazing love making a couple days ago?"

"Well, yeah, but… You said when Snot Sucker came home that you didn't want to be a mother, and… Are you going to leave me?" Nick whispered, biting his lip to ward off the tears that threatened to build. Just the thought of not having her in his life caused his entire body to clench in fear.

"Handsome…" Alana trailed softly with astonishment, reaching with her free hand to cup the side of Nick's face. Gently pulling his face so he'd look at her, she leaned over to offer him a small kiss. "I love you, Nickalicious."

"I know," he whispered against her lips. "But is that enough for you to stay?"

"I sure hope so… But you're the one who's leaving to go back to Florida or California…"

"I'll stay with you."

"You're going to uproot your entire life--"

"You and Zach are my entire life, Beautiful…"

"I'm not leaving you, Nick. I can't imagine not having you in my life. I've already lost so much…"

"And… You'll be Zach's Mommy?" Nick breathed, not know what he would do if she said no.

Alana hesitated, "Nick--"

"He already thinks of you as his mother, Alana," Nick interrupted, getting to his feet so she wouldn't see his tears. "You cuddle him, you sing to him, you feed him… You do everything that a mother does…"

"I'm not a good mother--"

"Bullshit."

"Colton died, Nick."

"Zachary won't, Alana…"

"You don't know that," Alana whispered, dropping her gaze to the happy baby curled so contently within her arms. She felt the hot tears slide down her face as she sniffled. The pain of Colton's death that she had hid so deep bubbling to the surface faster than she had anticipated. She couldn't lose another child nor another lover. She hadn't the strength.

"…He died? …You told me that he and your ex left you…" Nick breathed in confusion.

"I said they both weren't coming back… Colt died when he was two years old. He had a heart defect like Baylee did and I didn't know about it. So, I took him to the dentist for the first time and the plaque from his teeth got into his blood stream and went to his heart. He died in my arms. My ex-husband, Jeremy, blamed me for Colt's death… People change after something like that… And he left…"

"We can make sure that Zach doesn't have anything like that," Nick murmured, resting his forehead against the wall. "We can get every test known to man run on him, can't we? Would that help?"

"I wouldn't want to put him through something like that…"

"Then you're just going to leave, then?"

"I didn't say that I was going to leave--"

"Then what?" Nick persisted, blinking rapidly to get rid of the tears. "I can't choose between you and Zach--"

"Damnit, Nick, I'm not asking you to choose between us," Alana stressed as she moved to stand with Zachary in her arms. "I love him so much. He's a perfect little boy and just deserves the world--"

"He doesn't want the world, Alana. All he wants is people who love him and care for him--"

"And I'm scared," Alana confessed, muffling a hard sob as she pressed her face into Nick's back. "I want to be part of your lives… I want to be your everything… I just don't want to hurt either of you…"

"Alana… Just… God," Nick sighed, closing his eyes tightly. "You could never hurt us… Can you at least give it a try?"

"Don't be mad at me," Alana pleaded quietly as she pulled herself away from Nick's back when he didn't reciprocate. She could feel the tenseness of his body and knew he was upset. Shifting the slumbering Zachary in her arms, she carefully laid him amongst the pillows and stepped away, bracing her arms around herself. Never did she think that she would be putting herself in this situation again. This pull of the heart strings that always seemed to end in an overwhelming ache. "I'm sorry, Nick… I can try--"

"Please," Nick murmured, turning to pull her into his arms. Holding her tightly against him for fear she would slip away, he pressed a soft kiss to the top of her head. "We'll make it, Beautiful. I promise."

"Handsome," Alana sighed with relief as she buried her face into his chest with a shudder. "I love you so much. I love you and Zachary so much."

"We love you too," Nick promised, holding her closer than ever before. "And we need you--"

"I won't leave," she interjected softly. "If you want me to stay."

"I want you to stay. Forever--"

"NICKY! WE NEED YOU!" Baylee screamed from outside. "WE P'AY FEETBALLS!"

"You better go play," Alana sighed as AJ and Howie's voices followed, demanding for Nick to hurry the Hell up. Gently untangling herself from Nick's grasp, she reached to turn on the baby monitor on his nightstand before retrieving the smaller unit to tuck into her back pocket. Though, somewhere, she knew that she'd be back in for the infant even before he cried out. Brushing away the stray fallen tears, she stifled a soft sniffle as she moved to exit the bedroom.

"…Why don't we bring him down with us?" Nick suggested softly, turning to scoop Zachary into his arms. Settling him against his shoulder, he offered Alana a gentle smile. Now that he knew she would stay, he wanted to keep his family together at all times. "It's warm out, and we can spread a few blankets…"

"That sounds good," Alana agreed with an affirmative nod, tossing the baby monitor onto the bed before taking the blankets that Nick had gestured to. Smiling, she followed her boys through the hallway and out to the spacious backyard. Seeing Zachary resting so comfortably against Nick's shoulder, his little lips fluttering with each noisy breath, and Alana had to smile as she hopped off the stairs of the porch to spread the blankets on the grass. Concentrating on her men, she was oblivious to Baylee racing excitedly around the yard to keep AJ and Howie away from the ball as Natalie and Brian fussed over the barbequing items.

Kneeling down next to the blankets, Nick gently laid Zachary down, grateful his son remained asleep during the transition. Draping a light blanket over him, he pressed several soft kisses along Zachary's cheek before getting to his feet. "He's so beautiful--"

"Gorgeous," Alana agreed as she kicked off her shoes and stepped onto the blankets to sit beside Zachary. The little boy even seemed to shift closer to her in his sleep, though her thoughts were elsewhere as she glanced up at Nick. "When's his Uncle Aaron coming to see him?"

"I have to call him…" Nick trailed. The last time he had spoken to his brother, everything with Alana had been in limbo. He hadn't known their future, and therefore hadn't known where he would be when Aaron had time for a visit.

"Tonight," Alana suggested as Natalie strolled in their direction with two drinks. "Call him later tonight, please?"

"I will," Nick promised.

"Good, now go play."

"Yes, Mommy," Nick cooed with a playful grin before rushing away, scooping Baylee into his arms.

"Remind me to kick his ass later," Alana growled as she attempted to get up, but Natalie blocked her path as she handed over an icy drink of Pepsi. Sprawling back on the blanket once more, she held a fixed scowl as she brought several ice chips into her mouth for chewing. "I'm freaking younger than him."

"But he's so happy," Natalie persuaded with a smile, watching as Nick passed Baylee to Brian, as though the child was a football. AJ and Howie were arguing over the boundaries. Turning her attention to Alana, she saw her friend's hand reach to gently rub Zachary's back as he slept. "And besides… He thinks of you as Zach's Mommy…"

"And Brian thinks of you as Boogie's Mommy…" Alana suggested with a small smile, listening to Baylee's excited shrieks as he was tossed back into Nick's arms and he pretended to body-slam him for a touchdown into the ground. "Guess we need to form a Backstreet Mommy's Club. Perhaps, sip on Martinis and suggest where we shall devote our worthy time to a variety of charities while we lament on how hard it is to be a mother in such trying circumstances such as mansions and yachts…"

"…Bumpkin doesn't have a yacht," Natalie muttered, giggling when the man she spoke of tripped over Tyke and ended up somersaulting across the lawn. "And he hasn't filed for divorce yet, either…"

"Have you asked him why?"

"…He's going to wait 'till his album comes out--"

"And the problem with that is?"

"Nothing… I was just making conversation?"

"I think I know you better than that…"

"Better than what?" Natalie questioned in confusion.

"Well, I certainly don't like you for your smarts," Alana teased as she set her drink aside, preparing to stretch out on the blanket to cuddle next to Zachary. Though her plans were halted when AJ stooped to throw her over his shoulder, hurrying toward the porch before Nick could make wise of the situation. "AJ--"

"We need a referee!" AJ insisted as he hurried across the lawn.

"I'll stay with Zach," Natalie called behind them before stretching out next to Zachary.

"That's my baby!" Alana groaned as she attempted to flip off his shoulder, immediately regretting the decision when she landed hard on her back, AJ toppling over her.

"I'll be your baby," AJ crooned.

"I think you just broke my baby maker," Alana groaned with discomfort.

"Want me to kiss it better?" he questioned with a suggestive grin, rolling to her side.

"With or without clothes on?" Alana purred with every intention of kneeing him in the groin till she was yanked off the grass with a string of expletives spewing in her ear.

"Get your bony fucking ass off my star singer," Howie growled as he pulled Alana into an upright position.

"Yeah! You break it, you bought-Star singer?" Alana questioned in surprise as Howie helped to brush the clips of grass away from her jeans and tank top. She arched her light brows in shock as Howie led her toward the porch, mumbling threats in Spanish to his partner.

"Star singer," Howie confirmed, offering her his sweetest smile.

"Sorry if I sound like Natalie, but, I ain't really sure what you're talking about…" Alana trailed as she stopped halfway when they neared the blankets, plucking Zachary up when he cooed for her. Knowing he was hungry, she followed Howie to the porch where Nick already had bottles waiting. Though, Nick was being attacked heartily by Baylee and Brian, so Alana was left to tend to the infant as Natalie raced to retrieve the food.

"I'm talking about you being the first artist signed to our label… Our third partner is very insistent--"

"And who exactly is your third partner?" Alana inquired curiously as she popped the top to Zachary's bottle, offering him the plastic nipple which he sucked into his mouth quite greedily. Releasing a pleased sigh, he splayed a tiny hand over Alana's breast as if means of protecting the investment as he cuddled against her. She could only think of the term - like father, like son - as she glanced to Howie in waiting.

"He didn't tell you?" Howie questioned incredulously, looking across the lawn to Nick. "Well…"

"Well, what? Who's he? Why are you being so vague?"

"Nick--"

"Wait! Don't tell her yet!" Nick burst from a few feet away, tripping over Baylee as he struggled to get to his lover. Groaning when he got a face full of dirt, he reached to pluck Baylee from the ground, tossing him toward Brian and causing both to topple to the ground. Satisfied that he was safe from their attacks, he hurried toward the porch.

"Nick is your third partner?" Alana murmured in surprise, glancing toward AJ as he slid into the empty seat next to her.

"Don't look at me, it wasn't my idea," AJ muttered, reaching for an iced Pepsi from the cooler. "I was perfectly happy with things being fifty-fifty--"

"And Nick refused to let us sign her if it was just you and me guiding her, though I think he's more worried about late night studio time where you insist on being the only producer with her," Howie reminded with a scowl.

"I promised him that you'd be there the whole time," AJ grumbled. "Not my fault he knows you fall asleep at the drop of a hat--"

"You're their third partner?" Alana questioned above the bickering, glancing toward her lover with suspiciousness.

"It wasn't official until this morning," Nick explained, stooping to kiss the top of her head. "I just have a small interest…"

"A small interest in what?" she continued to ask, standing up so Nick could take a seat before climbing into his lap.

"The talent they sign, mostly…" Nick trailed, wrapping his arms around her gently. Tucking his chin on her shoulder, he smiled down at Zachary, one hand sliding up to smooth his hair.

"So you're going to go to the karaoke bars and whatnot with them to find this talent?"

"Not for a long while… For now all the work is going to be put into signing you," Nick explained.

Alana sighed, "Why me?"

"Because Howie let us listen to the CD," Natalie explained with a squeal as she set the chicken on the picnic table before taking a seat with everyone else, enlisting Brian and Baylee to collect the food from the fridge. "Do you have any idea how fantastic you sound? I mean, your voice is just so overpowering. You bring chills down my spine!"

"That's why," Nick answered with a chuckle.

"Nat's your biggest fan," Howie added with a smile. "Already telling me that she wants to be your manager--"

"I already have photo shoots lined up for you!" Natalie squealed with excitement.

"Jesus, B, give her one of Bay's Xanax," AJ sighed, rubbing his forehead as though to ward off an oncoming headache.

"As long as you wear a rusty chastity belt, you diseased piece of--"

"I haven't even signed onto a contract. So, photo shoots are pretty useless at this point, Natalie," Alana declined delicately, shifting Zachary into a sitting position to lightly pat his back for a burp. "I mean, all this attention is nice and I enjoyed using the recording equipment. But, I'm a nurse. Not a performer nor a singer."

"The photo shoots are for your demo," Natalie informed, hopping up to take the paper napkins from Baylee. "Thank you, Precious," she cooed, kissing his cheeks several times before moving to the picnic table. "Besides, it'll be fun!"

"The demo is someone else's song. There's no way you can produce it--"

"That's why Howie's written you a song," Brian announced. "…Can we eat now?"

"You wrote me a song?" Alana asked Howie with amazement as Zachary released a large belch of relief. Leaning to layer his sweet faces with soft kisses, she lifted him into her arms and moved to sit at the picnic table, comfortable with eating one handed while holding the sleepy infant.

"Three," Howie answered with a smile, sitting across from her. "I couldn't decide which style to go with, so-Ow!" he yelped, jerking his hand from the platter of chicken when Natalie slapped it. "What was that for?!"

"Guests first," Natalie insisted, pushing the platter closer to Alana. "And, besides, Bumpkin has to pray--"

"Daddy! I say g'ace?" Baylee requested as he clamored to sit between Nick and Alana.

"I think we all would really enjoy it if you said grace, Scooper," Brian approved with a proud nod.

Grinning, Baylee lowered his head, peeking to make sure all the adults had done the same. Clasping his hands together under his chin, he cleared his throat before stating loudly, "Good food, clean feets! Good God, you let us eat!"

"AMEN!" AJ whooped, digging into the macaroni salad for a heaping helping.

"Cute," Alana laughed as she leaned down to kiss the top of Baylee's head, taking a piece of chicken for her plate before placing the drumstick on Baylee's plate. She then passed the plate toward Nick, smiling softly toward him before glancing back to Howie. "Y'know, your third partner might be able to entice me into signing to the label provided that he can wine and dine me… A long evening alone to talk about business… Hiring a babysitter, such as yourself, for Zachary?"

"…You want me to baby-sit?" Howie questioned after a moment, accepting a biscuit from Natalie. Tossing it quickly to his plate when the heat threatened to scald his fingers, he glanced at her to see she was breaking one apart. "I--"

"He'd love to," Natalie finished with a grin, smearing butter on the biscuit before reaching to spoon mashed potatoes onto Brian's plate. "In fact, he agreed to take Baylee for the night as well--"

"I do?" Howie squeaked in surprise, glancing to AJ for help, who was already eating furiously as he scooped more food onto his plate.

"What do you say, Handsome? Care to…influence…my opinion of signing to the label?" Alana inquired hopefully.

"Absolutely," Nick replied with a grin, leaning across Baylee to kiss her softly. "We just have to be sure to dot all the i's and cross all the t's…"

"Here you go, Buddy," Brian cooed, offering Zachary half his biscuit. "Gnaw on that for a while--"

"Brian, the boy is barely two months, tell me you did not just attempt to stick a piece of hot biscuit in his mouth," Alana groaned as she shifted Zachary quickly into a protective embrace, glaring incredulously toward other father of the group.

"Aaah…" Zachary cooed happily as he clutched the piece of biscuit in his hands, quickly lifting it to his mouth.

"It's cool," Brian promised. "I made sure. I'm a parent, for crying out loud-See?! He likes it!"

"I know you're a parent, but if he chokes--" Alana held her breath as Zachary coughed against the fluffy biscuit. Her entire body tensed with fright as she heard him struggle, fully prepared to deliver back blows till Nick reached to pat his back, helping him clear his airway without much complaint. When Zachary smacked his lips and cooed with appreciation, Alana had to think twice about reaching over to throw a punch into Brian's jaw. Instead, she buried her face against the side of Zachary's, sighing with relief as she found Nick's hand for a gentle squeeze.

"I told you that we'd make it," Nick murmured softly with a grin, bringing her hand to his lips for a sweet kiss of reassurance.

*~*~*


"Beautiful… I love you, more than I could ever say," Nick panted as he pulled his legs onto the ledge. Wiping the back of his hand across his sweaty brow, he grabbed his bottled water from his belt, drinking heavily before looking at Alana. "And I was excited that you wanted to spend the afternoon with me and all… But… Why the Hell are we scrambling up jagged rocks?"

"Because you told me before that you would love to go rock climbing with me and then make love at the top of the mountain. I had suggested to you that you just drive my Jeep up the backside, but you refused to take the easy way out. Don't you remember?" Alana questioned as she reached up to secure another piece of equipment into the side of the rough rocks before threading her durable rope through. Grinning with satisfaction, she pulled herself up and found her footing within the grooves of the rock. Glancing down slightly, she noticed Nick still waiting on the large lip of the ledge. "Besides, if you're going to talk to me about going into the music business and making me extremely uncomfortable; I want you to be uncomfortable, too, so we're on even plains, y'know?"

"Somehow, I get the feeling that dangling on the side of a mountain makes me more uncomfortable," Nick grumbled before taking another heavy swig of his water. "And I never thought you'd take me serious…"

"You just don't like the way that the harness confines your usual commando style," Alana teased as she helped to secure his line so he could climb toward her.

"Well… I'm worried that one of the twins'll get pinched," Nick jibbed as he replaced his water bottle before slowly climbing up.

"I made sure that the twins were well secured," Alana promised with a roll of her eyes as she continued to hold onto the side of the mountain, noting they were making fairly good process for Nick being a first timer. "Just think how beautiful it'll be on the top of the mountain, laying out on the blanket, all by ourselves with a fantastic view."

"I'll be so exhausted," Nick whined with a playful grin as he stopped to look up at her. "You'll give me massages, right?"

"All the massages you want," Alana promised as she shifted slightly to glance down at him with an encouraging smile. "Maybe even some you haven't even thought of before."

"Will you take your hair down while you do it?" Nick requested, feeling with his foot for another crevice as he pulled up beside her. Stopping once more, he pulled one hand away in order to shake his fingers. "…At the next ledge can we call and check on Snot Sucker?"

"Why do you want my hair down in order to give you a massage?" Alana inquired as she leaned close to kiss him as means of encouragement before taking his hand into her own to rub his fingers. She knew they'd be quite painful by the end of the climb. It took time to get used to the harshness, even with the significant protection provided by the gloves.

"Because I love when you have your hair down," Nick murmured, lifting her hand to his lips for a soft kiss along the backs of her fingers.

"So you can yank me down to you whenever I do something you don't like," Alana suggested, a light blush accentuating her beautiful features.

"As long as you're touching me, Beautiful, I like it," Nick promised.

"You're just a really smooth talker," Alana decided as she leaned close for a longer kiss, nipping at his bottom lip with appreciation for the sweetness of his words. Never had a man spoken to her in such an endearing fashion. It was as if she could do nothing wrong in his eyes. That he would love her no matter what. It was something that helped soothe her severe insecurities.

"Keep that up, and I'll be trying to figure out how to make love to you on the side of a mountain," Nick warned with a hard moan, sweeping his fingers down the smoothness of her cheek.

"I think I'm just trying to fuel your desire to get to the top," Alana objected as she slipped her tongue inside his mouth for a soft caress.

Nick released a soft whimper, tangling his fingers gently in her curls. "And tightening this contraption around Charge--"

"It's not my fault that all I do is kiss you and that beast comes to life."

"He's a beast now? Funny… This morning you were screaming his name…"

At Nick's prideful statement, Alana rolled her eyes and pulled away from his embrace. Glancing up at the intimidating rock, she noticed a crevice and reached for it. Pulling herself up with a grunt, she continued to secure the line with a series of bolts, belays, and carabiners. "Let's go, Pride."

Grunting, Nick followed her, idly humming a song he had overheard Natalie playing in the kitchen the night before. At the time he had found it annoying, unable to get away from it fast enough. However, now he found himself struggling to remember the words. "…You're nobody till somebody loves you… Shit…"

"You've only got a little bit to go before you reach the next ledge, then you can call about Zachary," Alana suggested as she reached into her back to make the next line of protection in case one should slip. Only, halfway through the securing, she felt a hand slide up her tight shorts for a sharp pinch, causing her to lurch against the wall. At first she thought it was a bug, but when Nick actually giggled, she pulled her bottle of water out to empty the contents on his head. "What's wrong with you?"

Sputtering, Nick shook the water from his hair, looking up at her with a wide grin. "I'm just so freakin' happy--"

"Why?" Alana questioned with skepticism.

"I'm with you… We've got a perfect, healthy baby boy waiting at home for us… Just… I'm happy."

"So pinching my ass was like one of those good luck wishes?" Alana inquired with a snort as she pulled herself onto the ledge, leaning over to watch his ascent.

"Well yeah. I mean, if you had kicked me in the face, that would have been bad luck… Instead, you dumped nice cold water on my head, which was great, 'cause I'm hot--"

"Do you think that my ass belongs to you? That you can just pinch it whenever you like, because I've got news for--" Alana's rant stopped halfway when Nick managed to pull himself onto the ledge, thrusting his lips against hers with a powerful means of a kiss. She crumpled toward the back of the ledge as his tongue playfully flicked against her lips to gain entrance, offering swift strokes against his once he was allowed. She felt a whimper turn into a guttural whine as she tangled her fingers in his wet locks. "You are so lucky…"

"Told you," Nick murmured against her lips, nipping hard at her bottom lip. Shifting, he pulled her into his lap, gasping when her hand thrust into the pocket of his shorts, her fingers grazing the side of his growing arousal as she groped. "What are you--"

"Giving you some loving on the side of a mountain," Alana stated, gently tickling the underside of his arousal till he hardened significantly. Purring against his lips, she gently stroked him with the lightest of touches, seeking out his lips for a hard kiss.

"Fuck… Beautiful," Nick hissed against her tongue, blindly tugging her closer. "Keep that up and we won't be making it to the top…"

"So… You want me to stop?" she queried as she pulled her hand from his pocket.

"I didn't say that…"

"But you want to make it to the top--"

"I can make it… Just not as soon as we thought," Nick explained, gently tugging the top of her sports bra down.

"Handsome…"

"What?"

"I thought you wanted to call about Zachie," Alana whispered, fighting back a moan when Nick began to kiss the very tops of her breasts, nuzzling his nose against her collar bone. She fought a shudder of delight as his kisses moved lower, his tongue flicking over each of her nipples till they hardened to tortured peaks. He then moved his tongue to the underside of her right breast, nibbling hungrily till she whined and her fingers tightened in his damp locks.

"After," Nick promised, hands sliding down to fumble with the belt that kept them apart. Sucking one peaked nipple between his teeth, he gave it a hard tug until her fingers dug into his scalp. "Want me to stop?"

"God, please don't," Alana whined with a hard shudder, burying her face into the top of his head to stabilize herself as her emotions grew fiery with a hot passion only Nick could entice.

"Help get this damn belt off before I try to maneuver past it," Nick requested, reaching to peel the sports bra off her body. Leaning back, he sucked in a breath before yanking his t-shirt over his head.

"Don't get so antsy," Alana laughed softly as she reached down to his waist to unbuckle the harness from his body till it went slack around his legs. At this time she felt the breeze of the upper climate wrap around her suddenly chilled, bare upper torso. Holding her breath, she then reached for her own, finding Nick's impatient hands yanking away at her belts and straps to cast it aside just as quickly. "Nickalicious," she squealed in surprise as he seized her upper arms, laying her back amongst the pile of their clothing on the large ledge.

"I need you… Now," Nick requested as he eased her shorts down. Catching her lips in a scorching kiss, he growled when her hands impatiently jerked his own shorts over his hips. "We'll take it slow tonight--"

"Several times," Alana agreed with a feverish nod, biting down hard on her bottom lips when she felt the slight quiver of his hardened member at the entrance of her moist heat of desire.

"Stay with me forever," Nick whispered against her cheek as he entered her swiftly.

"I'll go where ever you go," Alana complied with a whimper as she arched her back sharply at his incoming passion, never fully anticipating the quake of his emotions that caused her entire body to tremble with yearning.

"Marry me," he hissed urgently before covering her lips in a fevered kiss. His hips set a fast pace as he pulled her legs around his waist. Drinking in her soft cries as the dam holding in his passion already threatened to give.

"Handsome," she gasped in shock as his lips broke from hers, his hips roughly grinding against her in the rage of passion as he buried his face into the crook of her neck. She wanted to tell him to stop as a cold bucket of water seemed to be thrown over her body with his proposal. She wanted to know if he had been serious as her heart actually seemed to stop. But with biting, sucking, and licking at her sensitive neck; she felt her body heighten with shudders of passion as she seemed to sink beneath the overpowering sea of his love making.

"Please," Nick panted, lifting his head slowly to look into her eyes. "I need you… Forever…"

"God, Nickalicious," Alana whimpered, reaching beneath her to clutch at his sweaty shirt as if that would give her leverage. Her passion was quickly building and threatening to rupture in the same manner. Her heart furiously beat within her chest as her skin grew clammy and her breathing labored. "Please, Nick…"

"Alana," Nick cried, gripping her hips tightly as he plunged deeper into her. "Now--"

"Yes," Alana agreed as she arched up to meet his final, heavy thrust, feeling the startling release of his passion crash against her throes of ecstasy. It was as if a steaming volcano had erupted between them when Alana buried her face into the crook of his neck to muffle her soft scream of pleasure. The heat of their bodies kindling the fire they held for one another as Nick collapsed against Alana, breathing in the scent of her musky sex.

"God," Nick rasped, his lips seeking hers for a tender kiss. "I love you, Beautiful… So much…"

"I love you more," Alana promised against his lips, gulping several breaths as if that would calm the race of adrenaline. Curling against Nick, she wrapped one leg around his, lightly stroking his calf with appreciation. "Thank you for coming with me today… Even though we haven't made it to the top yet."

"…I think what we just did beats the top of any mountain."

"True…" she agreed with a tired laugh, nuzzling the side of his face.

"So… We can go back down?"

"Don't you want to finish?"

"Sure--"

"Then we can't go back down," Alana interjected, kissing him repeatedly as she helped him into a seated position. Glancing around the ledge, she collected her clothing and his, separating it and depositing his into his lap. "Finish with me and I'll give you a nice, relaxing massage at the top…"

"…We're still going to make love at the top, right?" Nick inquired as he pulled on his clothes slowly.

"If you'd like," Alana concurred as she pulled on her sports bra and adjusted her tender breasts within the material. Then, moving to stand, she gathered her briefs and spandex shorts, pulling them onto her body before locating her harness. Stepping into it, she watched Nick as she strapped herself in, wondering if he remembered his question or if it had merely been a cry of ecstasy.

Dragging himself to his feet, Nick reached to grab his water, taking several gulps before offering it to Alana. Leaning his back against the side of the mountain, he slowly pulled on his harness, fumbling to latch the hooks properly with shaky fingers. "Beautiful... I can't get this piece of crumbling dog shit to work…"

"Why are your hands trembling?" Alana questioned in confusion as she took a hearty gulp of his water before securing it to one of her carabiners. She then moved toward her lover, easily correcting the mistakes he had made with the loops, hooks, and straps. Tugging at the harness and satisfied with her work, she then captured his hands to bring them to her lips for soft kisses. "Are you okay?"

"I just had an earth-shattering, mind-blowing, toe-curling orgasm," Nick explained with a shiver, sliding his hand to cup the back of her neck. Pulling her close for a gentle kiss, he pressed his forehead against hers. "I've never been better…"

"I'm glad," Alana assured him softly as she accepted his sweet kiss. "But… With your hands… Why don't you call Howie now and see how Zachie is doing? By the time you get off the phone, I'll have a pretty good headway and your hands shouldn't be trembling as much."

"I'm fine… I'll call at the next ledge," Nick promised, holding his hands up. "See? No more trembling."

"Just call now," Alana suggested. "It'd make me feel better…"

"Okay…" Nick trailed as he fumbled to retrieve his cell phone. Powering up, he turned slightly to receive a better signal before pressing the speed dial number for Howie's phone. "…Worried that Howie's put him out back with Tyke as a babysitter?"

"No, Howie's a fantastic babysitter," Alana disagreed as she leaned to kiss the side of Nick's face, turning to access the next stretch of the mountain. Reaching into her back for the series of belays that would secure her route, she noted the crook at least an arm's stretch away. Nodding with confidence at her decision, she stretched slightly. "I'm worried about you climbing when your hands are so shaky."

"I'll be alright…" Nick trailed, cradling the phone against his ear as he leaned against the mountain once more. Hearing Howie's answer, he grinned, turning slightly to watch Alana's ascent. "Yo, D… Just calling to check up on Snot Sucker--"

"I wish you'd come up with a better nickname for him," Alana groaned as she secured next line a few feet above Nick. Tugging on the piece of equipment, she glanced around for her next target to hoist her body upward. Grinning when she saw another crevice, she braced her weight and reached up. Only, the rock she was grasping at loosened its hold in the earth, causing her to fall back. Expecting to jerk with a taut rope bringing her back to her original place, she braced herself. But, the carabiner she had dug into the earth crumpled underneath the exertion, causing her rope to go slack. There was a brief moment of clarity before her body smashed hard against the rocky side of the mountain, sending a jolt of fear down her spine as she tumbled. Cracks of bones could be heard as her body rolled along the gritty, sharp, rocks, tearing the tender flesh of her exposed body. The roll of her body seemed to continue as if she were falling through a black hole. Time stood still even as she crumpled against the next ledge closest to the ground. Pain exploded from the depths of her neurons as she realized on some level that she might possibly die today.

"ALANA!" Nick screamed, lurching away from his leaning place. Stopping abruptly at the edge he was standing on, he felt fear grip his heart when he saw her motionless body far below him. "No, no, no," he chanted, unaware of Howie's questions in his ear as he grasped his line. Dropping the cell phone, he quickly turned to lower himself down to Alana. "Please be okay, God…"

Remembering the technique of rappelling down the side of the mountain that Alana had so patiently taught him seemed to be second nature as he gave himself plenty of slack with rope. He crashed against the sharp sides several times in his haste, but could care less as his feet hit the solid ground of the ledge. Stumbling slightly from the weight of gravity, he hurriedly pulled himself away from the rope. Fighting the rush of tears, he collapsed next to Alana's body, his hands trembling as he fought himself on how to possibly touch her. Her outfit lay in tatters from the sharp rock, tainted with spills of blood from the beefy red flesh that had been torn. A gush of blood raced down the side of her face from a deep cut to her head. Her left lower leg was bent to an odd angle with a large bump pushing out of the side as her right leg rolled out to the side and shortened significantly, swelling tissues enlarging both of the legs to unbelievable proportions. She had to be dead--

"Handsome…" she whispered faintly.

"God," Nick breathed, lightly touching the fingers of her left hand. Taking a deep breath, he remembered he had left his phone above. He had to call for help. There was no way he could leave her here. Just as he decided there was no other course of action other than climbing back up to retrieve his phone, he spied the cell phone she had strapped to one of her carabiners. Nervously wetting his lips, he carefully unhooked it, wiping the blood from the display on his shirt before nervously punching the numbers for Howie. "Answer… Come on… Answer the fucking phone--"

"Nick?" came Howie's panicked voice followed by a rush of incomprehensible Spanish. "Where's Alana? What the Hell happened? Is she okay? I called 9-1-1--"

"She… Fell down the mountain," Nick breathed in a rush of pain. "Her legs are all fucked up-She's bleeding-Howie, please--"

"Ay Díos," Howie muttered in horror. "Nick, is she breathing? Is she awake? You might have to feel for a pulse and do CPR--"

"She's breathing… I can't… I can't touch her-I might hurt her--"

"Nick, you've got to touch her," Howie sternly objected. "Check for a pulse."

Biting down hard on his bottom lip, Nick gently lifted Alana's hand in his, slipping his fingers to the inside of her wrist. "She's got a pulse," he whispered, feeling the faint beat of her heart. "Howie… Call an ambulance--"

"AJ said they're on their way," Howie promised. "Is she awake, Nick? Are her eyes open?"

"No…"

"I don't want you to move her at all, do you hear me? Her neck might be…" Howie's voice trailed off as there was a shuffle of what sounded like paper. "Just don't move her… Are you guys on the ground? Did she fall all the way down?"

"No… We're on the bottom ledge about… Fifty feet up I guess? We were maybe halfway up when her… Hook thingy I guess messed up--"

"Alright, Nick, they're going to dispatch life flight," Howie concluded after a brief period of murmuring. "You're gong to hear helicopters really soon. How's she doing?"

"She's… Laying here like she's dead," Nick murmured. "I mean… She's breathing a little…"

"Why don't you talk to her? She can probably hear you--"

"Where the Hell are they?" Nick whined, starting to panic as blood continued to seep from his love's many wounds. "She can't die, Howie… She's my everything… She's the reason I'm so fucking happy--"

"She's not going to die, Nicky--"

"Stay with me, alright?" Nick whispered to Alana as he moved to lay next to her. Scared to touch more than her hand, he clenched it gently. "Don't leave me, Beautiful… Zach loves you so much, he needs you… I need you--"

"Keep talking to her, Nicky. You're doing great. The paramedics should be there at any time," Howie continued to encourage softly in Nick's ear.

"I love--" Nick cut off when he heard sirens in the distance. Shifting slightly, he looked out towards the trail leading to the mountain. Never before had he been so relieved to see a police car. "There's a Smokey coming…"

"We're going to meet you at the hospital, okay, Nicky? I'll drop Zachary and Baylee off at Brian's Mom's. We'll call Brian and Natalie, too. Do you need me to do anything else?" Howie questioned, relief resounding deeply in his voice.

"Beautiful… She has this purple bear… She sleeps with it when she's had a bad day or doesn't feel good… Can you go get it?" Nick requested.

"We'll stop there first," Howie agreed. "Anything else?"

"That picture of her and Zach that I keep by my bed…"

"AJ's going to get it now."

"Tell Zach that she loves him? 'Cause I know she does… And… God, I can't think of anything else," Nick admitted with a trembling sigh as the sound of a helicopter grew louder with each passing second. He realized suddenly that several emergency vehicles were swerving to stops near Alana's Jeep. "I've got to go, they're here… Howie? Thanks…"

"Just keep protecting her, Nicky, and we'll see you soon."