- Text Size +
"So what all did you and Howie discuss about me last night?" Alana inquired of Natalie as the men in their lives came into the living room carrying the dinner for the evening. Alana, not truly akin to Chinese food, had actually been craving some sweet and sour chicken. So, Nick and Brian had scoured the area for the best Chinese restaurant to appease her hunger. Even Baylee had tagged along, carrying a box filled with fortune cookies. So, waiting for the men to return, Alana had settled Zachary on her chest so he could snooze comfortably, stretching out her lithe body upon the available couch as she drenched her aching leg in ice. The photoshoot had proved to be a hazard on her healing, but she'd never admit that to Nick. So, she busied herself glancing over the glossy photographs that Andre had hurried over to them. Most importantly, the photographs he had taken of Alana and Nick.

"Not much, considering the fact Bumpkin was breathing down my neck during the whole conversation," Natalie mused from the floor as she shifted to face the coffee table, where Brian was placing the plates. "Each time I tried to leave the room so I could focus, he was right behind me--"

"Damn straight I was," Brian huffed as Nick handed Natalie the containers to spoon onto the plates. "First time that man started asking you what you were wearing when you weren't even part of the photoshoot is the first time I tell him to go to Hell and stay there."

"I told you, AJ asked me what I was wearing," Natalie sighed as Baylee knelt on the cushion next to her, asking for lots of chicken. Filling his plate, she offered him a soft kiss on the cheek before serving everyone else. "And he did it 'cause he knew that I'm enough of a ditz to answer, and that you'd get all jealous--"

"Well, he's dead," Brian answered simply as he sunk to the opposite couch, lining up the row of sodas.
"'Lana, why Zachie get to sleep on your tummy and 'nuggle your boobies all the time?" Baylee inquired quite loudly as he sat at the coffee table beside Natalie, eyeing the sleeping infant so comfortably nestled on Alana. Usually, he would make sure to get kisses from both Alana and Natalie before eating and after eating. It was a tradition for the boy. Whenever Natalie kissed him, Alana was sure to follow. But, he feared the infant that Alana was tenderly patting would be the death of his tradition.

"Zachie's a baby," Natalie murmured softly. "He needs to snuggle boobies all the time so he won't be afraid," she added when Baylee shot her a dark scowl. "You were the same way when you were a baby."

"But I didn't get to snuggle 'Lana's boobies," Baylee complained with a huff of irritation, spearing a piece of chicken from his plate to pop into his mouth, despite his father's stern glare. And, he made a point to belligerently chew the piece of chicken as well.

"You snuggled my boobies, though," Natalie reminded him gently. "And maybe, if you're a good boy, you can snuggle 'Lana's boobies after dinner."

"But… I always snuggle Beautiful's boobies after I eat," Nick whined softly.

"Did anyone ever think that maybe I want Allie to rub my tender boobies instead?" Alana groaned as she proceeded to tuck the photographs in the envelope, only to have Nick steal them from her hands. Holding her breath, she held onto Zachary as she leaned down to retrieve the ice bags applied to her leg. Dropping them off the side of the couch, she then gently sat up and settled Zachary just beside her. Murmuring a thank you when Brian gave her a heaping plate of sweet and sour chicken, she felt Zachary's hand rest on her thigh to comfort him.

"Sounds like a plan to me," Natalie cooed with a smirk as she handed Nick his plate. He barely grunted in response, fanning the photographs from Andre on the cushion next to him. "Are those the couple shots he did?"

"Yeah… This one's my favorite," Nick murmured to Alana, holding up the last one that Andre had taken. Andre had managed to capture them both when it seemed they were only aware of each other, and Nick felt a surge of emotion when he saw their fingers twined, resting protectively on her lower abdomen.

"You okay, Handsome?" Alana inquired softly as she glanced to the large photograph that Nick had retrieved from the stack. She smiled softly at the image, absolutely enchanted by the whole stack of photographs. She had loved the professional photoshoot that Andre had conducted with her and Nick. It gave her comfort to have him with her.

"I'm great," Nick promised with a grin, leaning close to kiss her gently. "Just… Looking at all these makes our whole relationship ring true--"

"Ring!" Natalie squealed suddenly with a secretive glance at Brian.

"Don't even start," Brian warned, immediately dropping his gaze to his plate of food, forgetting about saying a blessing, remember all too well the controversy that would begin to brew when Nick and Alana got to California.

"Start what?" Nick questioned, reaching to tuck the photographs away for the time being. He and Alana could cuddle in bed looking at them later.

"Nothing," Natalie murmured, ducking her head to avoid Nick's curious gaze. "More rice, anyone – Rice!"

"She got really giddy about you saying the word ring," Alana observed, reaching to kiss the side of Nick's face when he sat beside her on the couch. She arched her brows curiously when Natalie bowed her head to study her food intensely, Brian seemingly mirroring her actions. "…What'd you tell those two?"

"I didn't tell those two anything," Nick defended, reaching for his plate. "I told Brian how much I love you--"

Brian nodded furiously. "How he couldn't live without you--"
"And I didn't say a thing about the twins!" Natalie interrupted.

"Twins?" Brian repeated, his fork clattering to his plate. Staring at Natalie, he swallowed hard. "…You're pregnant?!"

"Me?" Natalie squeaked, her eyes widening in shock as Baylee seemed to grow pale. "Lord no! I'm not stupid enough to get pregnant! Alana is!"
"…Thanks, Allie…" Alana groaned, the craving for sweet and sour chicken immediately abandoned.

"I didn't mean that you were stupid, I just – And he said – And – Ugh!" Natalie growled, pushing her plate away. Glancing from face to face, she quickly lowered her head when she saw the look of shock on Nick's face, his fork paused midway from his plate to his mouth. "I'm sorry."

"So, let me get this straight, you're pregnant with twins?" Brian murmured as he jabbed his fork toward Alana, eliciting a small nod from her. "With Nick's twins?"

Natalie jerked her head up to stare at him. "No, she went to a freaking sperm bank. What do you think?!"

"Actually, they're AJ's, thanks for putting it out in the open, Brian," Alana murmured in the utmost seriousness, feeling Zachary start to squirm at her side as he awoke. Thrusting his feet off the edge of the couch, he released a squealing yawn, immediately murmuring for his mother. Cooing, Alana gently reached to pull him off the couch, bringing their noses together to nuzzle.

"…Beautiful? That was a joke, right?"

"Do you really think I'd sleep with Alex?"

"Of course not--"

"Then you better dig your butt out of that whole quickly," Natalie sighed, getting to her feet.

"They're your twins, Handsome," Alana promised, though as she shifted Zachary to one arm, she reached out to grasp the hem of Natalie's t-shirt. "Allie, I ain't mad at you. I know how you are. You mean to say one thing and then you say something completely different. I know I'm not stupid for having twins. I'm ecstatic. So ecstatic that you're going to insist on being godmother."

"Are you crazy? They'll probably come to me when they're teenagers and ask my advice on something and then I'll totally get their little butts in trouble 'cause I'll blab it to you…"

"Our kids are going to be smart, Nat. They'll figure out how you are by the time they're two," Nick assured her with a smirk.

"So, wait, you're happy she's pregnant?" Brian blurted, just staring at Nick with confusion. He couldn't believe that Nick would be the father of three children. Zachary was enough of a surprise. But twins? Had he honestly planned to have to have more children?

"Why wouldn't I be?" Nick questioned as Natalie skipped from the room, muttering something about needing salt.

"Well, I mean…" Brian shrugged helplessly.
"Do you need me to leave the room, too?" Alana interjected, not sure she could stomach the reaction Brian was about to give. Especially if she was going to tour with him in a few months.

"I already told you that I'm planning on spending the rest of my life with her, Brian. You saw the ring I picked out, you know I'm serious about it. Why do you – Oh shit," Nick groaned at his slip when he saw Alana's eyes widen.

"Ring?" Alana repeated as she pulled her gaze away from the babbling Zachary to stare at her lover. Her jaw fell slightly ajar, shaking her head to clear her clouded thoughts. "Like the ring that Allie was squealing about? Like what kind of ring? An engagement ring? …God, that People magazine was already spreading these rumors that you were engaged and I was just laughing… Handsome?"

"I… Think I'll go see what's keeping Nat," Brian decided, setting his plate aside. Scooping Baylee into his arms, he rushed from the room, only to return and grab Baylee's plate.

"DADDY?! IS NICKY TAKING MY 'LANA AWAY?!" Baylee screeched in horror.

"No, Scooper," Brian promised softly as he left the room once more. Peeking back, he cleared his throat uncomfortably. "I'm sorry--"

"Just get the Hell outta here, Brian," Nick butted with a scowl of disappointment and disgust. The very thought that the media had found out before he had even proposed suggested that Brian and Natalie had made some vast error. Especially when Nick read their guilty faces. What was worse, however, was that Alana now knew what he was planning. The element of romantic surprise had been officially ruined.
"Handsome…" Alana trailed in confusion as she held Zachary within the crook of her arm, allowing the infant to play with the mother's ring on the white gold chain around her neck. She studied her lover's profile, gingerly chewing on her bottom lip at the apprehension clouding his posture as well as facial features. He wasn't seriously proposing to her… Was he?

"Wait right here," Nick murmured, leaning close to give her a searing kiss before getting to his feet. Jerking one shaky hand through his hair, he sighed, turning to face her. "I love you, Beautiful. More than anything in the world. And before you even think it… I knew I was going to ask you before we found out about the twins. I just… Didn't plan on asking you because Nat and Brian can't keep their damn mouths shut--"

"You're not going to propose now, are you?" Alana interrupted with a frown as Zachary reached up to bat at the long curls that had fallen over her shoulder from the high ponytail. She wasn't sure that she really wanted Nick to propose at that very moment. Not really sure that she'd be saying yes for the right reasons. Perhaps more out of sympathy than her love for him. And what kind of story was that to carry through a marriage? 'Our friends couldn't keep a secret and Daddy had to propose out of sheer embarrassment.' How fair was that? Not to mention, Alana worried that he was lying about the whole idea of the proposal. Maybe he did feel obligated to wed her because of the twins. They may have vowed to stay together forever, but marriage was never suggested.

"…Do you not want me to?" Nick whispered.

"I'd rather you not feel forced into proposing because your friend is a royal baboon…"

"Oh…" Nick trailed. "But… I'm not feeling forced--"

"Maybe I am…" she murmured, gazing at Zachary when he reached to grab her index finger, poking it into his mouth for nibbles. "I want you to propose in your own creative way. In your own romantic way… Not in Brian's house while him and Natalie listen at the doorway before getting into an argument…"

"I told you they knew we were out here," Natalie's voice grumbled from just outside the doorway.

Sinking onto the couch as Brian hissed for Natalie to be quiet, Nick reached for Alana's hand, settling for squeezing her knee when he realized Zachary had both her hands occupied. "So it's alright if I wait?"

"I think we'd both be a helluva lot happier if you did," Alana agreed, just wanting to forget that Nick had an engagement ring anywhere within this very house. It gave her chills of worry to even think about the idea of a ring, let alone watching him propose.

"I love you, Beautiful."

"I love you, too," she promised, leaning to kiss him softly for assurance, already able to feel the insecurities Nick had gnawing at his heart. She knew all too well. "I just can't wait to get to California. In your house."

"Just the three of us," Nick murmured.

"FOUR!" Baylee chimed in from the doorway. "I GOIN' WIT' MY 'LANA TOO!"

"Baylee!" Brian grunted in shock as he attempted to reach for the little boy, but his need to assert that he would be traveling to California too caused him to become a slippery eel. Yanking his foot from his father's grasp, he tumbled to the floor only to hurriedly crawl toward the living room.

"Daddy said you ain't takin' 'Lana way from me, Nicky! So, I got's to go to Cal'forna with you! Live with you! Sleep in the big bed with you! Do everything wit' you!" Baylee insisted as he grabbed hold of Nick's knees to boost himself into a standing position. "Her's mine!"

Nick cleared his throat. "Bay--"

"Mine!"

"C'mon, we need to--"

"Mine!"

"Bay, please--"

"MINE!"

"Ain't no need for all that fussing, Boogie," Alana groaned with a slight cringe at the ear-piercing scream of defiance that Baylee had used to triumph over Nick. "I'm going to be with you for a whole entire month when I tour with your Daddy in June."

"Mine? All mine?" Baylee questioned hopefully. "No that or Nicky?"

"I…" Alana glanced to Nick with confusion at Baylee's question, actually never having thought about that before. Howie and AJ had been so anxious to get her tied to the tour as well as gather several radio and TV appearances in California, never giving her time to consider the consequences. "…I guess you and Zachary can't come, huh?"

"Why can't we?" Nick asked instead. "I mean, we probably can't go for the whole tour…"

"So, are they going or not?" Baylee huffed as Natalie and Brian timidly made their way back into the living room.

"We'll see," Nick decided with a smile.

"That means no in Nicky, Knot, Daddy talk, 'Lana," Baylee informed with a wide grin.

"But this time it may mean yes," Nick added with an even wider grin.

"You're lying," Baylee insisted with a firm scowl, turning to yank hard on his father's pants. "We go to Cali with Nicky and my 'Lana, Daddy?"

"We're going to Cali with 'Lana, Scooper," Brian promised, jerking his pants up before Baylee managed to yank them all the way down. "Are you going to finish your supper?"

"You are?" Nick inquired with a hard frown.

"She and I have things to work out for the tour--"

"And I have to help her with studio appearances, photoshoots, the single release, and Lord knows what else," Natalie interjected.

Nick's frown deepened. "So my plans of having a few days alone with Beautiful before everyone snatched her away from me are--"

"Fruitless," Natalie finished for him.

"Handsome…" Alana sighed softly, gently pulling her hand from Zachary's grasp to rub the back of his neck.

"We'll have the nights," Nick murmured, leaning close to offer her a gentle kiss.

"Y'all could fly out the day after tomorrow, give me at least one day with Handsome?" Alana inquired hopefully as she rested her chin on Nick's shoulder, peering pitifully toward Natalie and Brian. Just one day. Was that so much to ask?

"You've got it, Boss," Natalie agreed with a smile, turning to look at Brian when he took a breath to argue. "Which means I've got one more day with you…"

Brian swallowed hard. "That could work…"

*~*~*

"And this… Is our bedroom," Nick murmured against Alana's neck as he ushered her across the threshold into the master bedroom. Having laid Zachary into his crib for a nap, he had been more than anxious to show Alana the rest of their home. Aaron had done a wonderful job getting everything ready for the arrival of Alana and Zachary, including having the living room filled with flowers. Smiling when he saw a piece of paper laying on the pillow, he snatched it up, chuckling when he saw his brother's scrawled message that the sheets were new.

"Our bedroom?" Alana repeated with a meek inquiry as she stood at the foot of Nick's large king-sized bed, carefully admiring the prolific quality of her surroundings. The entire room seemed to plunge her into the deep seas, furnished in beautifully matching deep blues and sea greens. The gigantic bed was directly staged in the middle of the vast room, draped in large ocean blue comforter that highlighted the beach-wood headboard that complimented the gorgeous mural of the shoreline extending across the wall. In front of the bed, stationed against the opposite wall was a large entertainment system with a thin plasma TV, expensive stereo system, large DVD cabinet, several game systems, and complimentary surround sound wired to the entire room. Off to the right would be the master bathroom and off to the left was the grand balcony, which was hidden beneath gauzy tapestry drapes. But, the cutest touch was off to the side of his bedroom - a large fridge which she assumed was quite stocked with his favorite foods.

"What? Too small?" Nick questioned worriedly, moving to the fridge to retrieve them each a soda. Glancing around, he noticed that Aaron – or, more likely, the cleaning crew Aaron hired – had even dusted under the bed.

"God no," Alana breathed, turning to offer the soda back to Nick, deciding that she'd just ask him for a water. She didn't want any caffeine entering her body for fear of harming the twins. Even if she loved soda. "I'm afraid I'll get lost just trying to find Zachie…"

"Nah," Nick decided, tossing the soda back in the fridge before offering her a bottled water instead. About to pop the top to his own soda, he faltered, turning to get his own water. If she had to eat healthy and cut out the sodas, he would do it too. Besides, he told himself as he motioned for her to follow him to the balcony, it definitely wouldn't hurt him to lose a few pounds.

"You don't have to stop drinking soda just because I am," Alana told him as she glanced toward the fridge for a moment, turning to follow him with a frown. She didn't want him changing all his habits just because she was pregnant. It wasn't fair to him, though when she noted the furrowed brows as he opened French glass doors to the balcony she sighed. "And you don't need to lose any weight."

"But I'll feel bad, gorging myself on all the stuff I know you love when you won't touch it anymore…" Nick trailed, pushing the curtains back to reveal the balcony.

"I wouldn't mind--" Alana's sentence seemed to drop off the balcony as she stepped outside behind Nick, having to hold her breath in awe. Nick had most certainly bought himself a paradise right off the coastline. Because, looking off the balcony all Alana could see was miles of gorgeous ocean attached to Nick's private shoreline. But, what seemed far more ironic was the large jacuzzi set off to the side of the large balcony and a small patio set and expensive grill to the other side. "It's your own little hideaway…"

"Our little hideaway," Nick corrected, moving to stand behind her. "Yours and mine. And Snot Sucker's--"

"And the twins," Alana added, leaning against the railing with a small sigh. California was gorgeous, well, as soon as Nick drove away from the thickness of the city to the lush hills. She didn't think she'd miss much of Kentucky, especially not the loneliness. Nick had actually had a private room prepared for her next to his studio, filled with photographs of Colton. She had sobbed when she first saw it, thanking him profusely. Not to mention, he had given all her former patients her cell phone number and address. They would be sure to write and call her often. She'd go home to visit as well. It was a new start.

"The twins," Nick agreed with a small smile, leaning his back against the railing as he watched her. "You want to take a nap or something? Then after Snot Sucker wakes up we can go beachcombing?"

"You just want some loving," Alana decided with a mischievous smile as she looked to him, making sure to shift the weight away from her still healing right thigh. After the photoshoot, Alana had completely abandoned the crutches much to Nick's dismay. But she refused to pick them back up, afraid of falling with them and hurting the twins more than just walking with the aid of a walking stick. It was in her best interest and she had enrolled in physical therapy to help the progress. Besides, if Brian expected her to be onstage in a month, she most certainly wouldn't be on crutches.

"I was actually thinking about an actual nap, considering we both have a little jet lag, but if you want some loving--"

"Nah, you go right ahead and take your nap," Alana persuaded as she leaned to kiss his cheek goodnight. "I'll stay up and listen for Zachie. I ain't that tired…"

"Lay down with me?" Nick requested softly, pulling her into his arms for an embrace. "And you can tell me whether or not you want to keep the mirror on the ceiling…"

"Do you have a camera behind it for all those Playboy Bunnies you were dating?" Alana inquired with a groan as she nodded in compliance, allowing him to lead her back to the bedroom.

"Beautiful, do you know how much work that would take, to put a camera in the ceiling?" Nick questioned with a smirk, peeling his t-shirt off as he entered the bedroom. "The camera's in the wall--"

"I wouldn't put it past you," Alana snorted, noticing a piece of paper taped to the plasma screen TV. Wrinkling her nose in confusion, she limped over to carefully peel it away, noticing the floral writing. Glancing over the quite demanding note, she turned to see Nick pulling off his jeans and reaching for a pair of boxers in the chest of drawers that had already been divided between them. "Your sisters request your attention immediately…"

"What'd they do now?"

"Taped quite a demanding note to your TV?" Alana explained as she carefully moved over to hand him the note before opening the top drawer that Nick had designated for her undergarments. Smirking slightly, she retrieved a pair of her favorite boxers and a tank top that had been crammed tightly into the drawer. "Apparently the older brother isn't allowed to live with a woman."

Scowling as he read the note, Nick crumpled it in his fist, tossing it over his shoulder as he moved to climb into the bed. "Fuck them, they don't rule my life--"

"You should at least give them a call. You are back in town and you at least made sure to give Aar a call… Even if it was telling him to stay the Hell away," Alana suggested softly as she pulled away the halter top from her upper torso, tossing it over Nick's pile of clothing. Then reaching behind to undo the strapless bra as well as remove her capri pants and bikini briefs, she reached for her tank top and boxers to pull it over her nudeness.

"Can't we get settled in before they all descend on us like a bunch of starving locusts to suck all the fun out of our lives?" Nick whined.

"They're your sisters… You can do with them what you like… Are they really that bad?" Alana asked as she pulled up the comforter and sheets to carefully slip beneath them. Nick kept his room frigidly cold, giving her plenty of opportunity to use him as a source of warmth. Then she suddenly had to wonder how many women he did it with prior to her…

"BJ and Angel are… Well… Leslie and I are closest," Nick answered as he wrapped his arms around her. Pulling the comforter up over them, he nestled his face against her neck, more than ready to settle in for a quick nap before Zachary demanded her attention. Too soon, she would be doing work on her album and preparing to go on tour. He just wanted her to himself for a little while longer.

"Oh…" Alana trailed, gently running her fingers along his spine as he curled tightly against her. He seemed to be far more comforted now that she had abandoned the immobilizer, draping his leg over hers to bring her closer to his body. Nick was the ultimate snuggler, perfectly content as long as he was getting kissed and snuggled and loved. Though she adored it, she could sense his insecurities within it. Somehow, Alana feared it stemmed from the inadequacies of his parents, but they never spoke about them. Ever.

"I love you, Beautiful," Nick murmured against her skin, holding her tight for a moment before letting his embrace ease. "So much…"

"I love you, too, Nickalicious," Alana promised, pressing the softest, most assuring kiss to the center of his forehead. Allowing her fingers to drift back up, she played with his growing locks, simply resting against him.

"…Do you hear a dog barking?" Nick questioned softly after a moment, lifting his head slightly. In the pause of silence that followed his question he heard another bark, sounding as though it were from downstairs. "What the fuck…"

"Do you have dogs?" Alana returned in confusion as Nick untangled his body from hers. Watching him climb off the bed like a stealthy cat in search of prey, she propped her upper torso with her elbows. Tilting her head to the side in confusion, she watched Nick creep to grasp a short surf board from the rack at the side of his room. "Nick," she admonished with a groan, gesturing toward the baseball bat propped near the walk-in closet. "Y'might be able to swing better with that…"

"Right…" Nick dropped the surf board to the floor, wincing at the resounding clatter it made against the hardwood floor. He was inches away from grasping his bat when the bedroom door flew open, two large fur balls sliding across the floor in their haste to reach the bed. Wrinkling his brow in confusion, he gripped the bat in his hand, raising it to swing when someone stepped through the doorway.

Aaron ducked just in time to avoid a blow to his head, yelping in surprise. "What the fuck?!" he screeched, toppling to the floor in a submissive heap. "It's me! Aaron! Your one and only brother!"

"Why are you trying to break our little brother's head like a watermelon piñata?!" a second voice exclaimed from just before the threshold of the bedroom doorway. The young woman's ice blue eyes widened in horror as she ran her fingers through her layered frost blonde locks, shaking her head in disbelief at the eldest Carter. "And don't you know how to get dressed?! Not everyone likes seeing you in your ratty boxers, Nicky."

"Jesus Christ, you two scared the pure ever-loving shit out of me!" Nick wheezed, letting the bat clatter to the floor as he pulled Leslie into a hug. When she groaned, poking his bare stomach, he chuckled, releasing her as the dogs scrambled onto the bed. Turning to see Alana's wary expression, he offered her a grin. "It's just Les and Aar--"

"For crying out loud, your twig's poking out!" Aaron cried, clapping both hands over his eyes as he got to his feet. Stumbling backwards, he fell onto the bed, certain he was going blind from the sight. "My eyes – Hey Sis, welcome to Cali – I'm blind!"

"That's the first thing I said when I saw it, too," Alana confided with the smallest of smiles, leaning over to press the smallest of kisses to Aaron's forehead. Though, she made sure to keep the sheet drawn to her chest, not sure how to regard Leslie per say. The Carter sisters were a mystery to her and though she was clothed, she wasn't sure how the sister would react to her being in bed with Nick already. "Thanks for the welcome, though, now call the mutts off."

"Why are you here?" Nick questioned as Aaron pushed the dogs to the floor. "Couldn't you have at least called--"

"I live two doors away, the sisters were visiting, and I never had to call before," Aaron immediately defended with a firm scowl, climbing up the bed to duck underneath the covers with Alana. "The Carter Clan had to be reunited at some point, Asshole. And even faster because Les, Angel, and BJ all know you have a new--"

"You brought Angel and BJ?" Nick interrupted with a groan, jerking on his shorts. "…Where are they?"

"Downstairs waiting for you to serve dinner," Leslie snorted with a roll of her eyes as she shooed the dogs out of the room. "Aren't you going to introduce me to Alana?"

"How could I not bring Angel and BJ?" Aaron groaned as he leaned over the edge of the bed to snatch a shirt. Heaving it toward Nick as he lumbered from the room, Aaron rolled his eyes with irritation. "Those two would have neutered me faster than the dogs if I didn't invite them along."

"Apparently he isn't introducing me…" Alana breathed uncomfortably as she looked to Leslie with an apologetic smile. Shifting on the bed and making sure to keep the blankets close, she kindly extended her hand. "I'm Alana. Your big brother's--"

"Girlfriend," Leslie finished with a grin, reaching to shake her hand. "And, if you're naked under there, it's no big deal. Nick's told me all about you--"

"Neutered you? Ha! They'd be doing the world a favor!" Nick hollered from the hallway.

"I'd would say the same fucking thing goes for you, but you already spread your demon seed, and we're damn lucky that Alana is so drop dead gorgeous otherwise the world would be doomed!" Aaron spat with disgust as he jumped off the bed, hurriedly following Nick down the hallway to make sure the fight remained even.

"I'm hardly naked! …What exactly did he tell you?" Alana murmured with a hard wince at Aaron's comeback, slowly lowering the blankets to reveal her tank top as she carefully shifted to the edge of the bed.

"That you're the love of his life," Leslie answered simply, reaching to retrieve Alana's cane for her. Turning to offer her privacy as she slid out of the bed. "Where's my little nephew at?"

"In his bedroom taking a nap," Alana confided as she reached for the t-shirt she had been wearing, though she hesitated when she realized it was Nick's shirt. Gingerly moving toward the dresser drawers, she retrieved one of her form fitting t-shirts to slide over her tank top. Glancing down, she fretted over whether or not to change her boxers, seemingly deciding to pull a pair of capri jeans over her snug boxers. "With all the noise, he's probably up, want me to get him for you?"

"You get dressed, I'll go get him," Leslie offered. "And if you want to walk around in Nick's t-shirt and boxers, I really don't mind. You're a part of the family now. And you should be comfortable… The baby's in the room through the bathroom, right?"

"Yeah," Alana confirmed as she watched Leslie disappear into the bathroom and into Zachary's bedroom. Hearing her squeal that mixed with a resounding coo, Alana had to smile as she buttoned the fly of her jean capris. She was truly comforted by Leslie's kindness, but worried about Nick's reaction to the other sisters waiting downstairs. She didn't feel comfortable walking down in his clothing, not knowing how she would be judged. Exhaling a hard breath to calm her nerves, she pulled the ponytail holder from her long locks to fuss with them into something far more manageable.

"If you aren't the cutest little baby," Leslie cooed as she came back into the bedroom, Zachary snuggled close to her chest. Immediately his large eyes sought out his mother, causing Leslie to chuckle softly. "Mommy's getting – That's right, isn't it? You call yourself his Mommy?"

"That's what he calls me," Alana murmured, gesturing toward Zachary with her brush before sweeping her curls into a elegantly high ponytail.

"Ma!" Zachary confirmed with a demanding grunt.

"And when are his baby brother and sister making their debut?" Leslie inquired softly.

"We don't know what their sexes are yet," Alana reminded as she turned from the mirror, immediately blushing with embarrassment at her quick nature to confirm the pregnancy. "I'm about two months along… So, they should be along in December or January…"

"I'm not making you nervous, am I?"

"No… Maybe a little?" Alana confessed with a sigh, hating when Leslie lowered her eyes in disgrace. "No! Leslie, it's not you. Honest. It's me. Nick is just so close to Aaron and I know he is with you as well. I just want to make a good impression, because he means the world to me. I would do anything and everything for him. As well as Zachary. And the twins that are growing inside me. Nick just hasn't really told anyone about the pregnancy…"

"Aaron kind of blabbed," Leslie admitted softly. "And don't worry about making a good impression, girl. You're putting up with Nick and putting a smile on his face – You should be strutting right about now."

"It ain't easy," Alana assured her with a small smile. "…And I think Aaron's more excited about the pregnancy than Nick."

"Did he show you the nursery? Me and Aaron did all the grunt work, but Nick planned everything--"

"The tour was pretty rushed; Nick was fighting jet-lag."

"If you think he's not excited, ask him to show you the nursery," Leslie instructed with a grin.

"So, I'm not allowed to peek at it on my own? I have to ask him to show it to me?" Alana guessed as she followed Leslie into the hallway, using the cane to bear most of the weight against her right leg. It was aching fiercely, but she made sure to keep at Leslie's pace so Zachary wouldn't lose sight of her.

"If I showed you the room he'd kill me--"

"I'll ask him. Don't worry."

"Since you're going to be in town for a while, you have to come to my show this weekend. I--"

"Your fucking dog just shit on the goddamn carpet!"

"--Really hope that wasn't my dog," Leslie finished.

"And I stepped in it so we're fucking even, Ass-wipe!" Aaron hissed. "Unless you want me to rub it into the damn carpets--"

"Just take the damn shoe off and wash it! Outside!" Nick growled.

Leslie stopped at the top of the stairs, turning to glance warily at Alana. "…We could go hide in the bedroom and watch TV?"

Alana hesitated. "Is it really that bad?"

"Now will you fix dinner, Nick?" an unfamiliar voice whined.

"…I'll grill chicken?" Leslie offered. "We can sit on the balcony and I can tell you embarrassing stories about Nick--"

"I'm not your fucking slave, Angel--"

"Of course not, because slaves don't go to Kentucky and whore around for how many weeks on end?" another voice shrieked. "Just prove to everyone how much you're like Dad and Mom--"

"I can't leave Nick down there," Alana whispered apologetically, feeling her entire body tense at the cruelty.

"Some best friend," Angel snorted. "Left you hanging the second he put a ring on Leighanne's finger--"

"And how did you find out about the pregnancy again?" the other voice, who Alana determined was BJ, interjected. "Guess you needed a pamphlet now that you got your new toy knocked up. Or is she going to a clinic downtown?"

"I really do apologize for anything I do to your sisters," Alana mumbled toward Leslie as she allowed the expensive cane to clatter to the floor. Holding her breath, she raced down the stairs as the adrenaline of anger, ignoring the pain in her leg. Stepping into the living room, she resisted the urge to lay two heavy fists into either new face, merely stepping toward Nick. Whoring in Kentucky? Knocked up? Meaningless sex? Alana decided to show them otherwise as she slipped her arms around Nick's waist, pulling him close for a sweltering kiss that caused a collective gasp within the room. "I missed you upstairs, Handsome."

Angel snorted, shooting Leslie a glare when she appeared. "I'm going back to Aaron's--"

"Good fucking riddance--"

"Nick, be nice," Alana shushed, pressing her fingers gently to his lips as she turned to eye the two sisters. Angel was tall, thin, and arrogant to say the very least. BJ was shorter with obviously bleached hair and a scowl that would scare away a great white shark. "I'd be glad to make you something to eat. Nick loves my chicken alfredo. But, I think he absolutely adores the way my index finger pokes at numbers for the local pizza place."

"I'm not hungry," BJ announced with a defiant glance at Nick as Aaron came in from the kitchen, bare feet slapping against the floor.

Releasing a hearty belch, Aaron grinned jovially when he saw that Alana and Zachary had come down. Walking over to Leslie, he draped a protective arm around her shoulders, leaning close to coo at his nephew. "Why don’t I take the four of you to dinner?"

"Guess the toy has to stay home with the rug-rat?" Angel inquired with a smirk of egotism, moving to gather her purse from the coffee table.

Aaron tensed slightly at the malice in his twin's tone, his hand tightening on Leslie's arm. Hearing Zachary's frustrated grunt he released his grip, reaching to pull the child into his arms for a gentle hug. "Actually, Zachary and Sis – which means not you and BJ – are going as well. You two can go jump off a fucking bridge if you think I want you around me after how you've treated them."

"Sis?" BJ snorted in disgust as Leslie flung her purse at her chest. Catching it in shock, she set a critical gaze on Alana, rolling her eyes. "What makes you think that she's ever going to become a part of this family? Nick is hardly the one that's ever going to settle with one woman. Hell, it's a good week if we don't find him in bed with three different women throughout the week! She's going to last all of a few months, then he'll fuck up, and she'll leave. And you'll be back to having us. So don't even start this melodramatic shit, Aaron."

"Your brother and I are having twins. I think I might just have to stick around for awhile because of that, BJ," Alana murmured, feeling Nick wince hard at BJ's critical analysis. "And if you ever step into this house again with those kind of words for Nick, I will have no choice but to throw your ass out like a piece of garbage. Don't tempt me."

Angel scoffed, "Like you have any authority to do that shit--"

"She does," Nick intervened, his voice threateningly calm. "I've already started the papers to get Alana's name on the deed. She has just as much right to kick you out as I do. Now get out."

"Nick, come on--"

"Out. Now."

"Damnit, Nick--"

"Get your shit and get out," Alana clarified, stepping away from Nick to gather their things from the coffee table. Bundling the car keys, drinks, shoes, whatever else they could have possibly entered the house with, Alana shoved them all into the opposing arms. Not caring as the drinks sloshed against the girls' expensive clothes, she hurried them to the front door, booting them out the door and slamming it quickly behind them. "Leslie… I'd really like to come to your performance on Friday if you want me there."