- Text Size +
"Let me go home," carrying the musical note for as long as her powerful voice could sustain, she made sure to end with a gorgeous crescendo. Squeezing her eyes shut to focus on the command of her voice, she held her right hand up as if she were thanking God for her voice, though it was for Colton more than anything. Knowing how much her son had loved her to sing gave her the courage to thrive in the ruthless business of music. Had also given her the strength to endure through the grueling challenges of being back in California - between the recordings, photoshoots, interviews, and appearances - she was convinced she was close to quitting. But, standing in AJ's sound booth with the single microphone, the melody of her own creation flooding her ears, she was overwhelmed with joy. Singing was her passion and she couldn't deny it. All her life music had been intertwined and now she had the chance to perform. "It will be alright / I'm coming home tonight / I'm coming back home…"

Standing behind AJ, who was seated at the controls, Natalie held her breath, overcome by the conviction behind Alana's singing. The power of her friend's voice always made her feel the true emotions of any song, but this was completely different. Knowing that Alana had written it while on tour with Brian caused the guilt Natalie had been feeling over her actions with Nick during the past weeks to increase, knowing she would never be able to forgive herself. Leaning close to AJ as the final note faded, she smiled slightly as she noticed his wide grin. "You're not going to make her sing it again, are you?"

"Huh?" AJ murmured in surprise, immediately leaning forward in his seat to get away from Natalie's body. Pressing a few key buttons, he tried to remember when Natalie had even come into the room, having forgotten everything when Alana greeted him with a sweet kiss to the cheek. He was so focused on her and, to the others who asked, extremely excited to produce her music, though it just meant that he'd have her to himself. "What do you mean not make her sing again? Are you shitting me? She needs to do it a few more times to hit perfection--"

"Are you kidding? That was perfection! You just want to have her to yourself for the rest of the day," Natalie snorted, reaching forward to flick his ear with her fingers.

"Why don't you just go blow Nick while Al's occupied for a few more hours," AJ hissed, cupping his ear from her harassment as his entire body tensed with irritation. He suddenly wished his pack of hounds would attack women. But, unfortunately, the scallywags were only interested in attacking men and loving on the women he brought to his house. He had trained them far too well. His only hope was Q.T. and Radar, but they were sound asleep on his feet beneath the recording station.

"So you can have the opportunity to slip into the recording booth and cop feels on my best friend? I don't think so," Natalie informed him with a scowl as she flopped into the chair next to him.

"I love how you immediately go to calling my ass out for copping feels instead of insisting that you'd never even think about blowing Nick, your best friend's fiancé, the love of her life!" AJ exclaimed, watching Alana take several large gulps of the water she had inside the sound-booth with her. "…So, what did you two mice do exactly while the sex kitten went out to play?"

"Go to Hell," Natalie growled with irritation, sharply kicking the man's shin.

AJ winced, but kept his retort quick as he reached to cup a hand against the shin for protection. "I knew he did more than ogle your fucking tits. Once you've seen them, your tease of an ass is just pathetic…"

"Which you should know, considering you spent two hundred bucks for the issues of Playboy that I was in on ebay."

"Didn't want you getting the chance to burn the evidence that could make some beautiful blackmail if you ever married Brian… But, guess that ain't happening, huh?"

"Fuck you," she hissed with hurt, jerking to her feet.

"Yeah, yeah, tell me something new, Natalie," AJ muttered, brushing off the idle threat as he waved to Alana, gesturing she could take a break with him.

"Does Howie know you're recording today?" Natalie questioned the moment Alana stepped out of the sound-booth.

"Alex gave him a call yesterday to tell him what we were planning; Daddy D said he was busy but it was alright to move forward, right, Alex?" Alana answered, moving to sit on the leather seat beside AJ, whistling for Radar to join her before taking another long swallow of the icy water.

"Yeah, that's what he said," AJ confirmed with a quick glance at Natalie.

"Surely he's not too busy to come and check out how the recording's going…" Natalie trailed with an innocent smile as she reached for her cell phone.

"Oh, I'm sure he'd be happy to stop by after he takes Nick to the STD Clinic for his penicillin shot after spending an entire month with a cunt that's so dangerous that Fear Factor begs you to let them use it for the eating contest--"

"I don't have to stay here to listen to this shit," Natalie decided, turning to glance apologetically at Alana. "I'll see you later at the house, okay?"

"Whatever you want to do," Alana agreed with a noncommittal shrug, scratching behind Radar's ears when he jumped onto her lap. Tapping on AJ's shoulder, she gestured for him to play the song so she could hear how it sounded. Usually, she would make sure to defend Natalie to anyone, but it was impossible to do anything when it came to AJ and Natalie attacking one another.

"I'm sorry." Turning to gather her things, Natalie was startled to hear Brian's voice projecting from the front door, causing her to immediately drop her purse in surprise.

"AJ? Where are you at?!"

"In the studio!" AJ bellowed, immediately turning his chair to face Natalie with a wicked smirk. "Guess who else wasn't too busy to stop by for a visit?"

"Alex, stop," Alana groaned with disgust.

"I loathe you," Natalie hissed, dropping to her knees to scoop her belongings back into her purse. Hearing the footfalls already coming down the hallway, she groaned, throwing her purse onto her shoulder in her haste to be away from AJ's house as quickly as possible.

"Feeling's mutual!" AJ hollered in return, but Natalie was already darting down the hallway to avoid the potential disaster.

"Mommy!" Baylee squealed in sudden surprise, leaping from his father's arms in order to throw himself at Natalie.

"Baylee!" Natalie gasped, reaching to catch him in her arms. Hugging him close for a long moment, she closed her eyes to avoid Brian's burning gaze, knowing he would rip the child from her quickly.

"I'm killing AJ," Brian seethed quietly, reaching to pull Baylee from Natalie's embrace. But she held the boy so tightly and Baylee was so overjoyed that he hadn't the heart. Instead, he clenched his fists at his sides, looking idly at the pictures on the wall. He had never expected to see Natalie when he returned to California. Somewhere, deep inside his heart, he had ignorantly thought she would just disappear. But the warmth of her sweet perfume flooded his senses as he remembered how glorious it had felt to make love to her for the first time- "Scooper, Natalie's got things to do, let's go," he suddenly growled, wanting to dash the memories into ashes.

"I go with Mommy?" Baylee requested, clinging tighter to Natalie.

"Not today," Brian declined, gesturing for Baylee to come to him.

"Go with Daddy," Natalie murmured as the sting of Brian's avoidance brought tears to her eyes. Pressing soft kisses against Baylee's cheeks, she reluctantly released him, wincing at his dejected whimper. "I'll see you soon, Sweetheart, I promise--"

"You don't love us no more," Baylee decided, hurrying to latch tightly to his father's legs. Burying his face behind Brian's right knee cap, he muffled a sharp sob of pain. He had always been an emotional youngster, prone to breaking into a flood of tears without warning. It had been over a month since he had seen Natalie, yet he had clung to her love for him. Every day had passed with at least one comment about his 'Mommy.' To have her give him up so easily hurt.

"Baylee, I do--"

"C'mon, Scooper, let's go find Alana," Brian suggested, reaching to lift his son into his arms.

"My 'Lana love me, right?" Baylee inquired hopefully, pressing his forehead against his father's cheek stubble.

"Brian, please, tell him that I love him," Natalie implored softly.

"Alana loves you very much, Scooper. And, Natalie loves you too, she just never loved me," Brian told his son softly, pulling his dreary cerulean eyes away from Natalie before forcing himself to walk the rest of the length of the hallway. It was too painful to look at her; tears starting to streak and break against the bearded stubble.

Not wanting to give him the satisfaction of hearing her sob, Natalie bit her lip to keep from crying out in raw pain, blindly running down the hallway. That he could think she had never loved him was the worst hurt of all, especially when she knew that he was the only man she would ever love. The fact he had brushed her aside made her realize just how little he thought of her, though what should she have expected? Pausing to fish her keys from her purse, she attempted to stifle another sob, but it came out as a strangled whimper as she reached to fling open the door.

Just wanting to leave, Natalie threw herself into the threshold of the front door, never expecting to meet a standing force. Shocked when an explosion of power threw her backward into the room, she gasped hard on a sob building in her throat. Crashing to the floor, she heard the opposite force hit the door that was swinging, giving him a swift blow to the backside that caused him to fall over her.

"Jesus Christ, Nat!" Nick cursed in surprise, holding himself above her before he could possibly smash her into the carpeting.

"Get off me," Natalie pleaded, placing her hands on his chest in a futile attempt to push him away.

"What's wrong?" Nick immediately fired with question, grabbing her hands to pull her up with him. Noticing the wave of tears rushing over her face, he winced.

"AJ's an asshole, Brian's being a prick and Baylee thinks I don't love him," Natalie managed to answer through her soft sobs.

"AJ's always an asshole; Brian's pretty much the prick of the century at this point; Baylee loves you and knows deep in his heart that you love him, he's just upset that he hasn't seen you in awhile," Nick quickly assuaged, reaching to brush the tears from Natalie's face.

"All I've ever tried to do was make people happy," Natalie sniffled, allowing Nick to pull her close for a quick squeeze. "And yet the only thing I can manage to do is fuck everything up--"

"You're talking to the King of Fuck-Ups, Nat."

"Say hello to your new Queen, then," Natalie muttered sarcastically, pressing her face against his chest.

"Let me go pry the engagement ring from Beautiful's finger and we'll talk," Nick returned, gently rubbing Natalie's back in a soothing manner.

"My fingers aren't as skinny as hers," Natalie snorted, shaking her head. "Besides, she's the best, and you deserve the best, Nicky."

"You sure were trying to ruin that when she came home, though--"

"I didn't hear you complaining when you had your damn tongue down my throat," Natalie grumbled with annoyance, starting to pull away from him.

"Glad we can be open about these things, Nat," Nick growled, releasing her immediately.

"I'm sorry," she sighed, stooping to grab her keys from the floor. Taking a moment to wipe her eyes, she motioned down the hallway. "Go on and listen to Alana's song… It's gorgeous."

"She's finished already?" Nick inquired hopefully, brushing his t-shirt as if that would remove the wet splotches of tears. He had tried to pick up Zachary from his aunt and uncle earlier that day, but Leslie insisted on keeping him for longer than intended. She demanded that Nick spend the night lavishing attention on Alana. They should have a night alone to themselves, since they hadn't had the pleasure at all since she returned home.

"I think it sounds perfect, but you know what an insufferable know-it-all asshole that AJ is, he wants her to perfect it," Natalie sniffled, glancing up towards him as she slowly stood back up.

"What the fuck does that mean?"

"How the Hell am I supposed to know?"

Nick winced. "Forget I asked--"

"Just be prepared. He already knows something happened while Alana was away," Natalie warned before stepping aside to leave.

"Nothing happened!" Nick exclaimed in disgust.

"Almost believable, Nicky," Natalie snorted, stepping outside.

"Hey, Nat," Nick called softly, catching her arm before she could head down the walk.

"What?" Natalie murmured in perplexity as she was drawn back to Nick's chest, finding far too much comfort in his closeness while her body flushed with heat.

"Are you and JC still--"

"Things didn't work out between us… Why?"

"I was just wondering…" Nick trailed softly, surprised when he glanced down to see her gazing up at him strangely. "…What?"

"You are just so weird," Natalie answered honestly, gently smoothing the wrinkles from his t-shirt with just the tips of her fingers, feeling the taut muscles he was steadily working upon that past month in his exercise room. First he acted as if she were a vile layer of scum on the vastness of his life, ruining everything in her wake. Then he'd treat her as if she were the most precious thing in his existence, because he loved and cared for her. And, finally, he looked at her and asked her questions that made her consider the likelihood of stirring another romantic encounter with him.

"I'm almost as weird as you are," Nick promised, dipping his head to softly kiss her cheek. Trying his hardest to pretend as though the soft touches of her fingertips along his chest weren't sending tingles of desire to the pit of his stomach, he playfully tousled her hair. "What are you doing tonight?"

"I didn't really have any plans…" Natalie trailed, giggling with delight. "Why?"

"How about you let me treat you to dinner and an overnight stay at one of those spas you like so much? You should get out of the house for a day or two, you know," Nick murmured.

"Is this what makes the pay-off of a mistress?" Natalie inquired, holding her hands up in sheer innocence when Nick glared at her. "Kidding! I would love to go to a spa. Are you going to dinner with me?"

"I'd like to, but I'm hoping Beautiful will be done soon, and then me and her can have some alone time… Don't look so down! I'll spend tomorrow night with you, my favorite mistress!"

"Planning on ditching the surprise party at Tabu for Al so you can fuck your favorite mistress, huh?" AJ called with surprise as he caught the tail end of the conversation. Immediately, his dark brows knitted together in spite, simply watching the two with an overwhelming disgust in his sepia eyes. He immediately recalled the hurt and worry etched in Alana's gorgeous teal eyes when she confessed her worries about the time Nick and Natalie had been spending together. Everyone had assured her otherwise; that Nick loved her with all his heart, but AJ knew better. He didn't even need to accidentally walk into the conversation while getting Alana a drink to know. "You fucking bastard…"

"Damnit, AJ," Nick groaned as Natalie tensed and began to pull away. "Must you always jump to the wrong fucking conclusion?!"

"Wrong fucking conclusion my ass. Al told me what the fuck you were doing while we were on tour. Staring at Natalie while she sunbathed topless outside. Letting her jump into your bed. Always getting a hard-on around her. Fucking sickening. You have the best woman in the world downstairs writing a damn song about you and you're fucking busy working up a frenzy with her best friend. You're absolutely pathetic," AJ snarled, moving into the kitchen to grab what he was looking for in the first place.

Nick tensed, turning to follow him. "Goddamnit--"

"Just call me, Nicky, okay?" Natalie interrupted in a strained whisper, hurrying out the door as tears flooded her vision.

"Sure… Probably from a fucking jail cell for killing a scrawny, tattooed fucking rat," Nick muttered as he hurried after AJ. Finding the man in the kitchen, leaning into the fridge, he felt his anger boil. Angrily shooting one foot out, he quickly slammed the door to the fridge, narrowly missing AJ's arm as the older man reached inside for something. "Listen here, you little chicken shit. I don't give a fuck what kind of game you're playing with Nat. I know you like to make her life fucking miserable, and it's working. But you keep me the fuck out of it."

For a passing moment, AJ stared at the closed fridge and down to the cold can of Pepsi in his hand. At first he wanted to just assure that the appendage was still attached to his body, but then he burst into a ruckus laughter. Reaching into one of his kitchen drawers, he retrieved a straw like Alana enjoyed. "For once in the existence of this pathetic little circle of friends we got going, it isn't about Natalie or you."

"Then what the fuck is it about?"

"It's about what the fuck you're doing to Al and it's a damn shame that a beautiful woman like that is into a fucked up disaster of a prick like you."

"I'm not doing shit to Beautiful," Nick defended. "Did you see me sending photos of Nat half-naked with my hand down her panties to anyone? No, 'cause you were to goddamn busy doing that to Alana and sending the pictures to me."

"My hand was no where near her panties, but after this shit of a stunt you've got going, my hand will be in those panties in a couple of weeks. Guaren-fucking-teed."

"What fucking stunt do I have going?"

"Don't insult me, Dumbass," AJ growled, pushing past the brute of a man to get back to his studio.

*~*~*

"Howie?" Natalie called softly as she stepped into the man's private office. Seeing him standing before the small mirror in the furthest corner, adjusting his tie, she smiled, allowing the door to close behind her as she headed over to him. Downstairs the surprise party for Alana was already in full swing as the partygoers awaited the guest of honor's arrival. Reaching to adjust Howie's tie, Natalie fussed with the metallic purple silk. "Everything's all ready for 'Lana. Nicky just called to say they just left the hotel, they should be here in about ten minutes…"

"He didn't squeal to her about the party did he? Because this is supposed to be a surprise party. She's doing so well with this career change. She is by far one of the most popular artists of the time. I've received all these phone calls for her new single already. They want it released as soon as possible and they're practically drooling for the album. Plus Maxim's magazine came out today. Do you know they want to do a pregnant bathing suit photoshoot?" Howie explained as he dropped his hands, allowing Natalie to do her wonders. She seemed to be the official tie straightening person for the boys, because they were helpless when it came to making a straight line. Especially in the flurry of excitement for the party.

"He didn't squeal. He promised, remember? He wants this to be a special night for Alana," Natalie informed him softly, brushing a tiny tuft of lint from Howie's collar as she reached to adjust it so the tie would lie properly. It seemed no one in the Backstreet family could fix their own ties. Especially during the excitement of a party. Stepping back, she gave him a gentle nod of approval before turning to assess her makeup in the mirror. "And you can talk to 'Lana about the pregnant shoot when she starts to show a bit more. Rolling Stone's already asking for the first photoshoot after the babies come. They said they would donate the profits from the issue's sales to a charity of her choice…"

"Which means Brian's charity," Howie confirmed with a small smile. "She's already donated a significant portion of her money from the tour to her hospital."

"I heard through the grapevine that they're gunning for a charity event to raise money for a new Pediatric Wing. And get this, they're going to name it in her and Brian's honor…" Natalie trailed, reaching into her cleavage for her lipstick.

"And what little bird whistled that tune to you?" Howie chuckled, sitting at his desk to retrieve the first new single from his top drawer.

"Dr. Allman," Natalie informed him with a smile as she touched up her lipstick. Replacing the tube in her cleavage, she turned for Howie's assessment of her attire. "How do I look?"

"Gorgeous as always," Howie approved with a brilliant smile, admiring her selection of wardrobe. She had decided on a dark mint colored, runched, halter dress. The delicate straps of the gown wrapped around her neck, barely the thickness of a spaghetti noodle while the bodice clung to her body like a second skin, dropping into a fluttery hemline around her knees. She was light and airy with her wavy copper curls layered perfect about her shoulders and just a wisp of bangs falling into her caramel eyes.

"Thank you, Howie," Natalie cooed with a warm smile, lifting one foot to adjust the strap of her high-heeled silver sandal. "Oh my God!" she squeaked suddenly, dropping her foot to the floor abruptly. Cheeks flushed, she glanced towards Howie with embarrassment. "I forgot to put on underwear!"

"Well it's not like I keep a stash of women's underwear in my desk drawer…" Howie trailed, though he playfully leaned over as he opened one of the large desk drawers. "…What size were you again?"

"You're not funny," Natalie groaned, smoothing her skirt nervously. "I'll just have to remember not to dance with anyone who'll dip me--" her sentence faltered as Howie's cell phone rang. Leaning close to see Nick's number on the caller id, she squealed with excitement, halfway to the door before Howie could even answer. "They're here!"

"Might not want to pick your skirt up when you go running down the hallway either!" Howie called after her, hurrying to follow.

"Why on earth would I do that? It's not as though I'm wearing some floor-length gown-Why are you jerking on my skirt?!"

"Because you're doing it right now!"

"Well I sure as Hell ain't the first person to ever flash their ass at your club!" Natalie hissed, slapping his hands away before trotting down the circular stairs that led to the heart of the club.

"To bring up AJ's non-sobriety years is just cruel," Howie groaned, stopping at the top of the stairs and meticulously counting till she reached the bottom, knowing full well whoever was below would see her goods.

Making her way through the crowd to the front door, Natalie smiled at Drew and Marcus, whom Howie had hired for additional security for the evening. Motioning towards the DJ to kill the music, she glanced around to make sure everyone was in their place as Howie headed towards her. Seeing him tuck his cell phone into his pocket, she sent up a quick prayer that the party would go as planned and be a success. Not to mention an honest surprise for Alana, who deserved so much more than the party. As voices died down to mere whispers, she heard Nick's laughter as he and Alana neared the doors, then signaled for Drew to open the doors.

"If you insist on drinking here before we go out to dinner, then I'm insisting that I'm driving and refusing to carry you to the hotel tonight, I'm carrying enough weight," Alana announced to her fiancé, expecting that it would be in full confidentiality, having no clue about the party prepared for her behind the doors. Instead, she was convinced that they were merely stopping at Howie's club, Tabu, to give Howie some papers before going out for a private dinner alone since Zachary was spending time with Howie's mother, who refused to give him up. Her affection for the infant and Nick had been astounding. Though, her thoughts abruptly ended when the doors were opened for her and she stepped inside the dark club. "Did Daddy D forget to pay the light bills--"

"SURPRISE!"

Nick grinned at Alana's confused expression as the lights switched on and her single started to play the moment she stepped inside. Within seconds she was surrounded, already being enveloped in a tight hug by Natalie and Howie. Rubbing his damp palms against the dark blue trousers he wore, he released a soft sigh of relief that he had managed to go the entire day without ruining the surprise.

"Th'Hell are y'all doing here?" Alana exclaimed in a sweet surprise as she went through the wave of hugs. She made sure to give everyone an especially tight squeeze, kisses plastered onto her face with swarms of congratulations. The familiar sound of her voice on the speakers was still surreal to her. It was impossible that she sounded so beautiful, but again her thoughts were invaded when she felt a lone straggler still clinging to her. "Allie, what are you doing? You're going to get my dress all wrinkled," she teased, stopping halfway to gently rub Natalie's back. She was wearing the newest design from one of the newest fashion designers to hit New York, who had flown directly to California to personally custom fit it to her body. It was a silky dark amethyst colored dress with delicate string straps, a low sweeping scoop neckline, and a delicate empire waist. From there, the light material spilled to above her knees in a flirty hemline, giving only mere peeks at her growing belly. Her golden curls were upswept into a beautiful French braid, tendrils still managing to frame her beautiful face. She had dressed specially for Nick.

Howie grinned as he leaned close to kiss both her cheeks before offering her a flute of sparkling cider. "It's a party to celebrate the best single ever recorded, as well as your Maxim issue hitting stands, and the fact you just finished an awesome tour. Not to mention--"

"There's more than that?" Alana laughed in amusement, wondering how large Howie's chocolate eyes could possibly get before they popped out.

"Way more," Howie promised before glancing around. "AJ's here somewhere, I don't know why he's not--"

"It's a party, Daddy D, he's probably scrambling for as many women's numbers as he can possibly score," Alana interrupted with a small shrug of her shoulders, tucking a few curls behind her pierced ears, realizing she had even lost sight of her own fiancé.

"Oh! There's the photographer, I'll be right back," Natalie decided, smacking a quick kiss on Alana's cheek before heading away.

"You look amazing," Howie informed Alana softly, pulling her hand through his arm so he could steer her to the table he had reserved for her. "How did Nick talk you into coming to Florida?"

"This is the dress that the designer flew all the way to California just to fit specifically for me. It's the most beautiful dress that I've ever seen. Though, I don't exactly feel so beautiful in it. More like I'm self-conscious… Oh, Handsome just told me that there was some interview we're supposed to do as a couple now that everyone realizes I'm pregnant… Or was that a lie?"

"No, it's true," Howie promised. "Glamour magazine--"

"So, he's really coming out to say he's the father…" Alana breathed with a pleased smile, unthreading her arm from his to wrap her arms around his neck with a happy squeal.

"I take it that's a good thing?" Howie laughed as he embraced her.

Leaning against the bar as he sipped his soda, Nick reached to nudge Natalie's back as he watched Alana's interaction with Howie from across the room. Smiling when he assumed they were discussing the upcoming interview, he glanced towards Natalie. "Awesome party…"

"I did most of the work myself," Natalie admitted, taking her fruity alcoholic drink from the bartender for an extremely long swallow. Leaning against the bar, she looked toward her friend, trying to ignore the fact that he looked absolutely scrumptious. He wore a pair of dark navy slacks complimented with dress shirt with several different blue tinted stripes. He then added a tie and a dark navy blazer, setting off the deepness of his gorgeous ocean eyes. What made it worse was the messy style he had created of his growing platinum locks; as if he had just rolled out of bed. "All the Fuck-Nut AJ did was pick up the magazines for the guests and the posters."

"Where is Fuck-Nut?" Nick questioned, keeping his eyes trained on Natalie's face in hopes of avoiding the plunging neckline of her dress. His gaze fell to the curve of her leg when she propped one foot on the barstool next to her, and he quickly looked away, suddenly finding the pattern of lights on the ceiling very interesting.

"He kept bragging all day that he has some grand surprise for 'Lana that he's planning… So, maybe he's jacking off somewhere, I don't know," Natalie answered with a careless shrug.

"He still being a jackass to you?" Nick demanded, glancing over to see her down the contents of her glass.

"When hasn't he been a dickhead to me?"

"I wish I knew what his fucking problem was," Nick sighed. "I mean, if he was doing all this shit just to get close to Beautiful--"

"What's that supposed to mean? If he was just doing all this shit to get close to 'Lana? What?"

"Acting like a jackass to get us acting defensive and guilty, thereby causing jealousy and nervousness in Beautiful… And him waiting right there to fucking comfort her," Nick concluded, allowing his gaze to follow the bead of moisture that rolled slowly from Natalie's lips to the hollow of her throat.

"Well, shouldn't we feel guilty?" Natalie inquired, wrinkling her brow in confusion while she gestured for another drink. Because, in fact, Natalie felt beyond guilty as Alana's new single pumped through the speakers. She knew exactly what she had done to cause a rift between her and Alana, though she acted as if she were purely innocent. It wasn't as if she were thinking about Nick- She found her eyes drifting down the length of his body to what she assumed was a budding erection. Damnit…

"It's not like we were having wild sex in every room of the house," Nick hissed, tensing slightly when Natalie slid closer to him. Taking a gulp of his drink, he screwed his eyes shut, attempting to rid himself of the sudden desire he felt. "God, it was only a few kisses…"

"Do you think something would have happened between us again if you hadn't mentioned her name during the rainstorm?" Natalie suddenly questioned, holding her drink to her throat so cold beads of water could slip onto her skin. Nightclubs were always so devastatingly hot - or at least that's what she told herself.

"My son was right there, Nat…"

"If I had asked you to put him down for the night?"

"…I honestly don't know," Nick whispered.

"Well… Let's go find out," Natalie suddenly decided, draining her glass to thump it upon the table. Sliding from her stool, she swayed slightly, but easily grasped Nick's hands to pull him up.

"What the Hell are you talking about--"

"Just shut up and follow me!" Natalie insisted with a grunt, pulling him towards the circular stairs.

"Where are we going?" Nick insisted as they weaved through the throng all vying to get near Alana. A mixture of worry and desire filled him as Natalie led him up the staircase, managing to wind his arm around her waist as she pushed open the door to Howie's private office. "Nat…"

"I want to see what would have happened. I'm tired of thinking about it so damn much," Natalie growled, pulling Nick within the darkness of Howie's office. Kicking the door shut with her foot, she pushed him toward the desk till he fell against it. Then, stepping between his legs, she wound her arms around his neck, eagerly seeking his lips with hers. Perhaps it was all the alcohol on an empty stomach, but Natalie was enticed with the power of persuasion, thrusting her tongue into his mouth to sweep a taste of him, moaning with excitement.

"Nothing would have…" Nick mumbled softly against her lips, his resistance useless as he grasped at her waist to pull her closer. Feeling her breasts crush against his chest, he growled softly as his arousal grew, nipping at her tongue as one hand slid up to cup a breast.

"God, Nicky…"

"Nat, seriously…" his voice drowned against the power of Natalie's kisses when she pulled her tongue from his nips only to capture his in a sensual roll. Lifting her skirts, she wasted no time straddling his lap, plunging her tongue deeper till it seemed that she was drinking in the very essence of his life. Dropping his free hand to her skirting, he slipped his fingers beneath the dress, trailing up her bare thigh, knowing he'd stop when he hit the panty-line. But, the damp heat burning against his arousal caused him to gasp in her mouth. "You're not wearing underwear, Nat."

"I know," she panted, arching against his fingers wantonly. Dragging one hand down his chest, she gently rubbed his erection through his slacks, her other hand reaching to remove the lipstick and cash from her cleavage. "Nicky, please--"

"God, Nattie, I can't," Nick whined in shock, feeling her loosen the zipper of his slacks before sneaking her hand inside. Another barrier of thin clothing between their bare bodies discarded. Groaning with delight as she played with the buttons of his boxers to open the slit, his hand slid to the inner portion of her hot thigh. Dropping his hand from her waist, he bunched up the skirt in a fist, easing his fingers toward her sensitive nub in a light caress.

"I need you, Nicky, please," Natalie whispered as she freed his straining arousal from his boxers. Moving her lips to his ear, she nibbled gently at his warm skin, her fingers slowly caressing his length. Feeling the jolt of passion when his finger pressed against her nub, she purred appreciatively in his ear, allowing him to shift her to her back on the desk. Arching to meet his fingers, she bit back a hard squeal as she cupped his erection in her palm.

Nick squeezed his eyes shut with pure desire as he reached to yank down the top of her dress to free her breasts from the fabric. Reaching to roll a nipple between his fingers, he was unmindful to the turning of the office door. Feeling Natalie's hand guide him to the slippery entrance of her wet heat, he moaned with appreciation-

"Alex! Why didn't you tell me those photographs were in?! Daddy D and you were scoping them out before I even had a chance to see them myself! Andre set up that shoot special because he wants to track my pregnancy belly and I can't wait to show--" Alana's voice immediately halted when she pushed into the office and groped the wall till she managed to flood the room with light. Though, when she saw her fiancé hunched over the desk with her half naked best friend beneath him, she stopped dead. In fact, she was confident that God would have done right by her if he had just let her drop dead. "…Do you mind not fucking my best friend and getting all your disgusting juices over our pregnancy pictures?"

Nick jerked suddenly away from Natalie as though he had been scalded, reaching to quickly yank the zipper of his slacks up over himself. Turning to stare at Alana, he felt his heart plummet when he saw AJ stepping into the office behind her. "Beautiful, I--"

"Please tell me you at least brought a condom so I wouldn't be the redneck asshole who had to explain why my best friend was delivering in the room right next to me and my fiancé is bouncing between them to see which kids he thought were cuter-Oh! Fucking forget that nonsense because you've probably been slamming into her since I left for tour!" Alana growled, immediately stepping backward when Nick seemed to get closer. Her fists were clenched firmly at her sides as she bumped against AJ, never stumbling as she shook her head in disbelief.

"No, Beautiful, you've got to believe me," Nick began, taking another step forward. Seeing AJ's arms go protectively around Alana, he jerked a hand through his hair. "She threw herself at me--"

"Don't you dare try to pin all this on me, Nicky!" Natalie shrieked in horror, sliding off the desk while fumbling to fix her clothing to conceal her ravished body. "You started all of this! You took me to Ivy! You were the one always coming to me for loving while she was on tour! You stared at me like I was a piece of delicious meat when I was sunbathing in the backyard! You're the one that came crawling into my bed when we almost--"

"God, that's enough!" Alana growled in disgust, pulling herself away from AJ's embrace as she clutched her stomach in pain. She squeezed her eyes shut when she stumbled into the hallway. This had been a horrible nightmare. It had to be. Holding a hand to her mouth, she tried to make the world stop spinning. "Don't come near me! …God, I think I'm going to be sick…"

"Beautiful!" Nick cried, rushing to grasp her arm. "Please--"

"Goddamnit, get away from her," AJ snapped, grabbing a handful of Nick's blazer, ready to slug the younger man if necessary.

"Don't talk to me," Alana insisted raggedly, holding her breath as she pushed herself into a standing position. Pressing a hand to her mouth, she felt the rush of tears flood her vision. Tears of frustration, rage, and hurt. Feeling her entire body tense with wrath, she started to move down the hallway. She had to leave before she hurt someone.

"Alana--" Nick began, catching her arm before she could move away from him. He had to explain everything, so that she would understand what had happened.

When Nick's hand clamped onto her upper arm, it felt like his hand had turned into the sharpest set of filet knives. The way he held on so possessively sending a jolt of unfathomable pain through her body, though it couldn't possibly be any worse than the ache in her heart. And when he pulled her back; it was like a gunshot of emotion exploding in her body. Curling her fist in spite, she launched a sharp fist at his face. When it slammed fully into her fiancé's nose, she felt the cartilage give way as the warmth of blood touched her fist. He stumbled back in pain, crumpling to the floor and releasing her arm. Fumbling with the expensive engagement ring on her hand, she flung it toward him with a strangled sob. "Fuck you and that bitch of a whore you rode on!"

"My God," Natalie breathed in disbelief as Alana stormed away from Nick. Torn between helping the man and going after her friend, she hovered just inside Howie's office, hating the look of loathing AJ gave her as he turned to go after Alana.

"Al! Wait!"

Alana shook her head at AJ's pleading, not really wanting to be bothered at that moment. Furiously wiping the tears from her face, she hurried down the steps as fast as she possibly could. She stumbled once or twice, for a moment wishing that maybe she'd fall. It would feel better than the agony of her heart shattering, feeling as if the room were closing in on her. Grasping at the necklaces hanging from her elegant neck, she felt so confined. Her heart rate accelerated like a furious gallop of stallions. A cool sweat broke out on her skin. Her breathing was ragged and irregular. It would be the first panic attack since the death of her son. Weaving through the crowds, she burst onto the street, jutting her hand out to hail a cab, then crumpling over to release the thickness of her stomach contents.

"Al, please wait-Oh God," AJ groaned as the doors swung shut behind him. Swallowing the bile that rose in his throat, he reached into his suit pocket for a handkerchief, silently handing it over to Alana when her retching ceased.

"Thanks," she whispered, cupping the handkerchief to her mouth when she was sure nothing was left in her stomach. Heaving against a sob, she forced herself into an upright position, though she leaned against the side of the building for support. She felt so sick inside. She just wanted to curl up and die.

"Al, come on, I'll take you home," he murmured, reaching to smooth back a lock of hair that had loosened from her braid. "We can go get the kid from Momma D's first, and then--"

"He's not mine," Alana interrupted, keeping the handkerchief pressed tighter to her mouth, noticing an oncoming Taxi. Reaching her hand up to signal to the caddy, she shook her head toward AJ. "My name's not on the adoption papers. If I take him; it's kidnapping. And, I'd rather be by myself for awhile."

"Without me?"

"Go back and enjoy the party, you've still got phone numbers to collect," Alana declined, not really wanting AJ to witness her panic attack.

"But Al, it's not a party without you--"

"I'm not in the party mood," Alana answered, pulling open the taxi's door, though AJ reached for her arm before she could climb inside. "…I doubt you want the handkerchief back… C'mon, Alex, you've got pretty girls to woo in there."

"I don't give two shits about anyone else but you. You shouldn't be alone, not after witnessing that… Atrocity up there," AJ sighed.

"I want to be alone right now."

"I'll come by your hotel room when I leave here, then," AJ decided, leaning past her to give the cab driver a handful of bills.

"Okay," she whispered meekly, tears flooding her eyes once more when AJ's lips brushed over her forehead. Sinking into the seat, she waited for him to duck out and shut the door. She mumbled something to the cab driver about a location, but curled onto the backseat when he pulled away.