- Text Size +
Stacia hadn't bothered to wait for AJ or Holly to climb from the car as she entered their large home, just wanting to escape the conversation. Whenever Brian was mentioned, she found the familiar pain in her heart returning. A pain she had done her best to tuck away with years of regret. Even the mere mention of them together had always stirred the familar passion of wanting, but then she remembered the beast that had dashed her hopes. And a clear reminder of their parting came hurdling at her legs before she managed to clear the foyer. Falling backward in shock, the pains of her healing body flared, but the familiar giggle caused her to coo. Immediately, she wrapped her arms about the pint-sized ball of energy. "Bayster!"

"Staci! Missed you!" Baylee cried out with joy. His bright blue eyes glittered with excitement beneath his mop of unruly platinum curls. He hugged her tightly, slobbering a kiss on her cheek.

"I've missed you too, Sweet-Pea," Stacia promised, returning the wet kisses with loud sloppy noises that caused the boy to squeal louder. It was all she could do to hold him still to continue her playful attacks, but he managed to squirm away. Leaning back, she cupped his face in her hands and placed another sweet kiss to his forehead. He seemed to be growing like a weed and looking more like his father every day. Even his impish smile was characteristic of Brian's goofiness. "God, you're so big! Four years old!"

"Uh-huh! I start kindergarten next year!"

"KINDERGARTEN? No way!"

"Uh-huh! Daddy says you learn a lot!"

"Your Daddy would know, huh?" Stacia guessed, watching him nod furiously with agreement. Bringing him into her arms once more, she squeezed him in a loving hug. "You'll have so much fun, I promise. But for now you and me are going to have to play together while everyone else is working, okay?"

"Really? All day long?!" Baylee's beautiful blue eyes grew wide and Stacia laughed.

"You got it. All day long!"

"Just you and me?" Baylee reiterated, looking quite skeptical of such a wonderful plan.

"Just you and me," Stacia promised with a quick nod. "We'll put on our bikinis and lay out by the pool all day. I've got to work on my tan--"

"Damn, I'll quit work and buy myself a bikini if I can join," Nick interupted, hearing Baylee's joyous squeals from the living room. Coming to investigate, an easy grin slid onto his face while he helped Stacia up. "It's great to see you again. I'm tired of being the only single in this Hell-Hole."

"You and me will just have to go on a few dates then," Stacia suggested with a impish grin, pressing a kiss to Nick's cheek.

"Name the nights and where you want to go," Nick promised as he gave her a hug, making sure Baylee didn't get squished.

"Well--"

"I get to come on the dates too!" Baylee insisted with a scowl, wrapping his arms securely around Stacia's neck to keep from getting lost in the shuffle. "Tell'em Daddy!"

"We'll see, Buddy. Staci just got here, let her take a couple days to adjust," Brian spoke up, appearing in the foyer.

"So Nicky can take her out all by himself?" Baylee questioned with a firm pout, seeming to clamp his hands tighter about her neck, refusing to part even as others began to file into the foyer.

"I didn't say that, either. But Staci and Nicky are old enough to--"

"Don't our names sound great together, Stace?" Nick cooed against the side of her face, wrapping his arms about her waist and swaying against her.

"The same old Nick," Stacia laughed, wrapping a free arm about his neck to move with him.

"Yeah, the troublemaker," Howie commented as he came into view. "And where is my loving, missy?"

"I love his persistance," Stacia explained, shifting Baylee to her hip so she could greet Howie. Just the same, she was brought into another warm hug, kissing her cheeks with welcome. "Congratulations on the engagement."

"Thanks. She's away on business for a couple of days, but I'd like you to meet her when she gets back."

"I can't wait."

"Now you can't forget about me."

"You're as tall as Marcus with furry eyebrows. How can I?" Stacia teased, watching Kevin scowl as he approached her.

"Just for that I'm not going to let you babysit Mason--"

"Oh, I'm sure you'll be dumping the diapered butt into my arms when Kristin suggests a romantic night away," Stacia teased, squealing when Kevin raised her up into his arms for a crushing hug. She kissed his cheeks affectionately in apologies for the quips, but it was her nature. He had always treated her like the little sister he never had. So, she returned the favor.

"Dumping my son's diapered butt into your arms? I am offended--"

"Dirty diapered butt?"

"Staci--"

"I missed you?"

"Stacia--"

"I missed you a lot?" Stacia murmured with a pout.

"Oh, that damn pout gets me everytime," Kevin groaned with a roll of his eyes.

"I know!"

"You little--"

"As touching as this camaraderie is, maybe we should go into the living room?" AJ suggested, standing near the doorway with Holly.

"The last time I was here, I distinctly remember how absolutely fantastic Alex's big fluffy couches are, so I'm going to have to agree," Stacia decided while stifling a small yawn, feeling what seemed like a significant aging on her body since the attack. Releasing Kevin from the hug, she knew it was best to move to the living room because it also meant that she wouldn't have to address Brian individually. Instead, Baylee tackled her legs once more in hopes to be carried and she obliged, following the others toward the living room.

"Does anyone want something to drink?" Holly stood by the kitchen, prepared to bring out a variety of beverages. "Staci, do you want a Pepsi?"

"Yeah, thanks," Stacia confirmed, slipping out of her scuffed and faded Converse sneakers while continued to balance Baylee on her hip. All of their friends then made their requests and AJ begrudingly followed her to help when Holly glared. It seemed as if she had never left since the last time she visited, her bare feet sinking into the thickness of the carpet before she climbed onto the couch and tucked her legs beneath her. Cradling Baylee close, she tucked her face to his forehead and inhaled his sweet scent. "You're such a good boy."

"T'anks," Baylee smiled, wrapping little arms around her and squeezing as hard as he could. Stacia let out her breath with a whoosh, as if he had squeezed it all out of her.

"Oof! You're getting too strong for me, Bayster!"

"Well, I got to protect you," Baylee giggled, pulling one arm from around her neck to muffle a large yawn into his palm.

"Thank God for that," Stacia agreed, leaning back to tug at the blanket draped over the couch. Pulling it over her body, she helped Baylee snuggle against her chest, noticing how bleary his gorgeous crystal blue eyes seemed. "You waited up all night for me, Sweetheart. But you're tired."

"Am not--"

"Just cuddle with me, please?"

"You'll hold me all night?"

"If your Daddy doesn't mind," Stacia kept her eyes on Baylee as he turned towards his father.

"Daddy, can we stay?"

"I..." Brian was caught unawares when Baylee projected the question in his direction. Instead, he had been so engrossed in watching Stacia. She had yet to say hello to him, merely direct conversation through his son, but he longed for her to speak to him directly. It had been too long...

"Looks like someone's sleeping on the couch tonight," Kevin chuckled with appreciation, offering thanks to Holly when she and AJ returned with the variety of drinks. "You can't possibly resist Baylee and Staci combined."

"Them two together... always cause trouble, because they're oh-so-innocent," Holly smiled, glacing towards her best friend and nephew. She loved watching the child and woman interact.

"Yeah, real innocent," AJ snorted when Stacia smiled innocently. "She's just invited Bay to spend the night. Next thing you know, we're going to have all these strange men jumping into her bed--"

"Hey! I'm first on that list," Nick grunted.

"Ew, spare me the details," Holly wrinkled her nose as she and AJ sat down once everyone had their beverage.

"She's just jealous," Stacia teased, causing Nick to beam with delight.

"I don't think so. I have all the man I can get right here," she wrapped her arms around AJ.

"Exactly the point, she can't get anymore men, so she has to be satisfied with the one she's got," Nick muttered beneath his breath before taking a long swallow of soda.

AJ immediately glared while pulling Holly close within his embrace. "Hey, I'll kick your ass out--"

"Daddy, can we please stay?" Baylee interjected once more, hating how the conversation had been swept away without an answer.

"I... yeah, Buddy. We can stay." Brian easily caved in. Not only for his son, but so he could try and get things fixed with Stacia. He had missed her so much.

"Great! I can sleep between you an' Staci--"

"I thought we were going to camp out here on the couch, Baylee. We could even get some blankets and make it into a tent," Stacia gently interrupted, giving Baylee her special pout that always made him giggle.

"You don't want'a sleep with Daddy?" Baylee questioned with great incredulity. His large crystal eyes widened in shock and most of the men immediately choked on their sodas.

"Baylee Thomas Wylee, you are going to get me in so much trouble," Stacia groaned, wrapping him up in the blanket and pressing her hand to his lips. He grinned behind her hand and blew a wet raspberry, but cuddled up to her just the same.

"He takes after his father," Holly clicked her tongue in amusement, smiling softly.

"When did you ever get your Staci-Gracie into trouble, Cuz?" Kevin inquired with a small smile, referring to the nickname that Stacia had detested furiously, but still blushed at when Brian used it.

"Hmm?" Brian snapped out of his thoughts, gazing at Kevin in question.

"When did you ever get Staci-Gracie into trouble?"

"I..." Brian fumbled to acclimate himself to the situation, unfortunately only able to sputter out a few syllables before everyone broke into laughter.
"He's such the talker, I swear," AJ chuckled.

"Can't get him to shut up," Howie added.

"About Staci anyway," Holly breathed.

"...About me?" Stacia questioned in surprise, glancing up from Baylee's slumbering form.

"He always talks about you--"

"Holly, stop--" Brian felt the color drain from his face and a dark redness brighten his cheeks. Stacia didn't need to hear about him.

"Obsessive about you, honestly," Kevin ventured to add.

"Who would have known..." Stacia trailed with a light shrug of her shoulders.

Brian narrowed his gorgeous cerulean eyes toward Stacia with suspicion. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I never thought I'd be a topic of conversation in your life, Brian," Stacia answered, forcing herself to take a long swallow of the cold soda to preoccupy herself.

"Why wouldn't you be?"

"Do you really need me to answer that?"

"Apparenlty I do--"

"Let's not start this love-fest tonight, guys," AJ interupted gently, noticing the inevitable hurt of the past haunting Stacia's emerald eyes. "It's late."

"Yeah, really late," Stacia compromised, biting down hard on her bottom lip. "It was really sweet of you guys to wait around for me."

"We'll come back tomorrow and catch up," Kevin stood and carefully stretched his weary body. He was still getting used to waking up with an infant almost every night. "I'll bring Mason so you can meet him."

"I can't wait," Stacia promised with a small smile when Kevin leaned over her to wrap his arms about her. Baylee was still cuddled against her, sound asleep, but it didn't bother Kevin. "I bet he's as adorable as you."

"Kris would say otherwise," he chuckled, kissing her cheek as he stood. "Get some rest, okay?"

"I'll try," Stacia answered, allowing the rest of the men to filter through to give their goodbyes as well. It looked as if each of them wanted to inquire about the disaster in Philadelphia, but Holly was quick to usher them to the door. She silently thanked her best friend for the freedom from reliving the horror at that moment, because her dreams kept the memories fresh anyways.

~*~*~*~*~*~

When Howie, Nick, and Kevin had excused themselves for the night, Stacia had every intention of slipping upstairs to avoid further conversation. But the longing in Holly's eyes when she tried to excuse herself had halted her. So, allowing Baylee to snooze upon her chest, she forced herself into a causal social with Brian, Holly, and AJ. She kept her gaze from Brian, however, unable to lessen the pain that attacked her heart whenever they caught each other's gaze. He seemed to watch her so intently now. She felt as if she might suffocate, so she slipped from beneath Baylee's weight and excused herself to the kitchen.

Now, leaning over the sink, she splashed cold water onto her face in hopes to refresh herself. Brian's presence had seemed to make the world fold in on her. He looked at her as if he knew the dirty secret, causing her heart to flutter wildly with panic. Her throat tightened and she began to tremble. Cold sweat dripped down her neck and she knew she had to escape. Only medication could curb her anxiety and stress since the attack in the alley. Even now, the water on her face did nothing to soothe her while she blindly reached out for her purse to locate the bottles of prescription pills.

Hearing the rattle within a plastic bottle alerted her that she had found the medication. She opened up both bottles and poured the right dosage into the palm of her hand. Popping them into her mouth, she grasped a can of Pepsi and chugged half of the sugary subtance. The fizz tickled her throat and she closed her eyes tightly; almost willing the pills to work faster.

It was wishful thinking on her part however, because the terror that haunted her daily remained. Even if the medication worked in an hour, she would remain up for several more hours because she feared her dreams. They had become so real that she could actually feel the warmth of the man's foul breath on her neck when she tore away from the haze of the nightmare. Groaning at the thought, she slumped back against the sink and tossed the bottles toward the small purse.

Unfortunately, the bottles bounced against the unzipped lips of the purse and clattered to the floor. "Damnit--"

"You alright?" Brian's voice broke into her thoughts as he came into the kitchen. His excuse was to get another soda, but he had actually wanted a moment to speak with Stacia alone.

"I'm fine," Stacia retorted in surprise, yanking the nearby towel from the counter to press against her damp face. She hadn't expected anyone to come after her, especially him. Her heart dropped at the mere sound of concern in his voice. How she had longed to hear from him again. Yet, now...

"Seems like it," Brian murmured, ducking down to pluck the two bottles off the floor. Turning them carefully, he read the prescription names. "Ativan? Ambien? ...What are these for?"

"They're my prescriptions," Stacia answered off-handedly, reaching out blindly in hopes that he would give her the bottles.

"Since when have you had prescriptions?" Brian frowned, glancing at the names again. "Staci, what are these for?"

"Working in the center city of Philly is really stressful, so at my last doctor's appointment, he suggested that I start taking them," Stacia murmured, avoiding any attempt at telling him what each drug was for. He would never understand that Ativan was to curb the horrible boughts of panic attacks that occured randomly throughout the day. Nor that Ambien was used to help her sleep, because she couldn't otherwise, terrified of the nightmares. And, if he had looked in her bag, he would have noticed an anti-depressant, Prozac, hiding in the bottom as well.

"Do all nurses take these kind of medications?" Brian raised an eyebrow. Something didn't feel right, even if he hadn't seen her in months.

"If it helps me, what does it matter?"

"Because they look like they're pretty serious--" Brian grunted in surprise when he rolled the bottles in his hands to read the warning labels. They were potent medications. Potentially deadly if not used properly.

"I'm not taking them illegaly. They were prescribed."

"For stress?"

"If it prevents me from going crazy," Stacia mumbled, reaching out for them. "Please give them back."

"Why would you go crazy?" Brian asked with obvious worry, reluctanly relinquishing the bottles.

"My life hasn't exactly been a bed of roses these past months, Brian," Stacia muttered with disgust, shoving the bottles deep into the purse that she truly hated carrying. But, for now, it blocked the medications from Brian's nosing.

"Staci--"

"Look, I'm really tired and I want to get some sleep. Is Bay going to sleep with you or with me?"

"He would have a complete cow if he woke up next to me tomorrow morning--"

"Then it's okay if I take him up to my guest room?"

"Yeah... it's not a problem."

"Okay. Goodnight," Stacia turned and almost ran back to the living room to collect Baylee for the night.

"Jet-lag hitting hard?" AJ guessed, noticing Brian lingering in the threshold of the living room and watching Stacia carefully. The concern darkening his features was unmistakable, but Stacia looked to be ignoring any sign of his presence. Instead, she held Baylee carefully in her arms and leaned down to kiss both him and Holly.

"I'll see you guys next week when I'm concious again, okay?" Stacia suggested with a forced note of teasing to her voice.

"Goodnight, Sweetie," Holly gave what she hoped was an encouraging smile as she watched the younger woman rush up to her 'room' and close the door.

"Were you breathing anthrax in her face or what, B?" AJ asked, glancing toward Brian when the silence had evaded him for too long. He had never seen Stacia so jittery before, much less anxious to avoid them. Usually she would cuddle up with them in bed the first night she arrived, talking till morning.

"I was just asking about her medications--"

"What medications?" Holly asked in surprise.

"You didn't know she was on medication?"

"She didn't mention it..."

"She was taking them in the kitchen. Ativan and Ambien. She said it was from all the stress at work."

"She didn't even say work was all that horrible lately..." Holly trailed with a sharp frown, crawling away from AJ's embrace to locate one of the nursing books she kept in the living room for Stacia. It seemed as if the woman always had her nose in some book dedicated to the science of nursing, so Holly kept a well stocked library. "She just tells me about all the nuts she's been taking care of lately..."

"She got pretty defensive when I asked--"

"No, it was because you were talking to her," Holly interrupted, thumbing through the pages.

Flabbergasted at the curt tone cutting into Holly's words, Brian slumped into the nearby couch and rubbed his tired face. "What the Hell did I do?"

"Do you want the truth?" Holly gazed up from the book for a moment. "I mean, the honest to God truth?"

"Of course I do--"

"Holly, maybe now isn't the right time to talk about this," AJ replied, worried about Brian's reaction. His girlfriend wasn't always tactful.

"He wants to know and he should--"

"It's been a stressful week, Holls, especially with what happened to Stace--"

"He still needs to know, Alex!"

"Will you please not talk about me like I'm not here?" Brian frowned.

"I'm sorry, B," AJ quickly apologized, reaching for the thick textbook before it could be used as a weapon. "But Holls has been so upset since Staci called and--"

"I'm fine," Holly insisted with an aggravated sigh. "She's here in Malibu, that's what matters to me--"

"It matters to me too," Brian confirmed.

"Stacia wouldn't think you mean that."

"Why?"

"Holly, I'm asking you to wait for another day before getting into this conversation," AJ pleaded once more, unsure if Brian could really handle the emotional blow. The man was too naive sometimes. Too wholesome and pure.

"It'll just be delaying the inevitable. And you know damn well that if I try talking to him about this tomorrow, you'll tell me to wait another day and then another day and another day--"

"Would you two please stop bickering and just tell me what the Hell I did to make her hate me so much since the last time we were together?" Brian growled with impatience, throwing a fist against the coffee table for emphasis. He was tired of the games, especially when it concerned Stacia. It seemed as if his entire relationship with her had been doomed from the beginning. No friendship able to be salvaged, though he had always secretly longed for more.

"For God sakes, she doesn't fucking hate you," Holly turned to the older man with a smoldering glare. "You want to know what changed between the two of you?"

"Yes--"

"You broke her heart and married Leighanne."

"That was over seven years ago!"

"A broken heart never heals, Brian!"

"But we've been together plenty of times since that happened and she's always been so sweet--"

"Last time was different, B," AJ interupted softly, hating that he was even part of the discussion. Grinding the heels of his hands into his eyes, he grunted and shifted uncomfortably. "We went out to celebrate her last night hear and you got wasted. I'd never seen you slam down so many beers in one night. Then you just grabbed her and gave her one of the hottest kisses I have ever seen in my life..."

Brian deadpanned. "I did not--"

"You told her you loved her."

"But I couldn't--"

"You did. And then you just galavanted back into Leighanne's arms, leaving Stacia in the dust like the kiss didn't mean a damn thing. That your words were just that. Words. You really hurt her, and that's why she's so uncomfortable," Holly added, her arms crossed over her chest.

"You've toyed with her for a long time, though you haven't realized it. The way you hug her and bring her close. You whisper in her ear and get her laughing. Tell her she's the best friend you've ever had... Then you start talking about Leighanne and your marriage. It's been killing her from the beginning..." AJ continued uncomfortably, hating the sorrowful expression on his best friend's face. "You didn't mean to do it--"

"Why hasn't she told me about it?"

"And what would you have said if she did? Just say it was sweet, but all you could be was friends? What would you do?" Holly questioned.

"She's told me before that she's happy we're friends--"

"And you believed her?"

"Why shouldn't--"

"Because she doesn't want to hurt you," Holly stressed with another indignant sigh. She loathed the fact that Brian was so oblivious to the pain he caused her best friend. She always regretted introducing them so long ago. "She loves you so damn much, Brian. She's always loved you and I doubt that she'll ever stop loving you. And that kills her inside. But, she can't let you go either. Not when you tell her you need her so much. That you don't know what you'd do without her. What to you expect her to say? That seeing you is torturing her soul?"

"I'm... I'm TORTURING her?"

"Holls--"

"When she sees you, and knows that someone like Leighanne has you... yes, you do torture her."

AJ winced when Brian's face crumpled with shame. "Okay, Holls, that was one too far--"

Holly was relentless, however, unable to bottle up years of watching her friend suffer in silence. "Do you love her? When you told her that at the party? Did you mean it? I mean... You were drunk, but when you're drunk, you speak truthfully--"

"You're right, I was drunk--"

"But did you mean it? Or were you just playing her along?"

Brian shifted uncomfortably on the plush couch and avoided any chance of meeting Holly's accusing eyes. He had barely remembered there had been a party during the end of Stacia's last visit. He could only recall a horrible hangover in which Leighanne had made particularly excruciating by screaming at him for more than an hour, then leaving him with a sick toddler. To hear that he had said he loved Stacia was a revelation that caused his stomach to knot with worry. Not that he had been mistaken, but that the truth had been revealed. He had never let that slip before--

"Brian, I want an answer."

"Stop interrogating him like he's a damn criminal, Holls--"

"Well he did steal her heart!"

"That's a horrible analogy," AJ groaned, cupping a hand over his lover's mouth.

"Did you mean it?" Holly pressed, her voice muffled.

"I was drunk, Holly, I didn't mean anything I said," Brian whispered painfully.

They were stunned into silence as his hand dropped from her mouth. Holly soon found her voice as she stood up, so angry with herself for letting Stacia meet someone like Brian. "Well... I was wrong. You and Leighanne really are meant for each other. You both play with people's hearts."

Brian had every intention of objecting to Holly's cruel assumption, but she left the room after slurring a curse behind his name. He was astounded at the tone she used with him, though his astonishment quickly faded when he evaluated his relationship with Stacia. He had never been true to his feelings about her. Had always held her at an arm's length because he feared her. She was so very intoxicating and alluring. He always fell hard in her presence--

"She'll probably apologize in the morning for snapping, B. She's just really upset about Stace right now. Her whole place was trashed by some psycho-dickhead... I mean, the shit he took... It's just not normal for a burglar, y'know?"

"No, I don't know... no one ever said what he took, or why..." Brian trailed off, looking up at AJ in question. "All I knew was that someone broke into her apartment and she was coming to Malibu for awhile."

"The bastard was just a fucking freakshow," AJ muttered, slipping deep within the couch and throwing his feet over the opposite side. His entire body was exhausted from worrying about the young woman. He just need a chance to breathe. To know she was safe here. "He went into her house and trashed the entire place. He stole her clothing and jewelry and perfume. Hell, he took her favorite underwear--"

"He took her underwear?"

"Yeah, the police still don't understand why he broke in and stole her personal things. She hasn't dated anyone in a long time and nothing happened before to make them think the guy knew her--"

"Well, are they doing anything about it?" Brian snapped, not expecting to come off so crisp and curt, but unable to help himself. The very idea that a man had stolen into Stacia's house to steal her intimate items was appauling. His stomach clenched with tight knots and a fiery ball of anger set his body aflame. He wanted action to be taken against the man for frightening Stacia. Heaven forbid that she had been home when he slipped inside--

"What are they going to do, B? They looked around the house for evidence. Grilled Stacia like she was the bastard. Suggested she change her locks. And left."

"That's all they did?"

"It's the police... what do you expect them to do?"

"But it's their job to--"

"The guy didn't leave any prints of any kind. No one heard him break in, so there were no witnesses. To them, it's an open and shut case."

"If the jerk is stealing her lingerie it's obviously not an open and shut case!"

"Why are you getting so upset? She's here. Safe and sound. Besides, she's not your wife, remember?"

"What the Hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing," AJ sighed, rubbing his weary face with the heels of his hands once more.

"It means something if you said it--"

"I just don't understand you, B. Hell, Stace is absolutely perfect for you. She loves Baylee to death and would do anything for that boy. I've caught him calling her Mommy before, but she gets such a pained face when she has to correct him. Yet you picked Leighanne... She's never home and when she is home, she treats you like shit. I've seen the bruises when you two come to blows... It's just... Miserable..."

"Staci is my best friend, J. Nothing more... nothing less..." Brian kept his gaze onto his hands, knowing if he looked into his best friends eyes, the truth would spill out. He had always wanted something more with Stacia.

"She's more than that to you."

"I can't do anything about it now, J--"

"You could if you wanted her bad enough."

"I can't--"

"Is it because of her age?"

"God no--"

"Then what is it?"

"Her age may have been a problem in the beginning..." Brian trailed softly, loathing the very fact that he even had to have the conversation. It had always been an internal battle. She had only been eighteen when they had met and nineteen when he was getting married. Nineteen seemed so young compared to twenty-five years. Her second year of college. She was filled with so much ambition. Too much to ask her to be married...

"Okay, so what is stopping you now? She's twenty-five years old. A woman. She's not a girl anymore, and she's got a damn good head on her shoulders."

"She's always had a good head on her shoulders--"

"So what's the fucking problem?"

"I'm married!"

"Happily?"

"AJ--"

"Leighanne makes you goddamn miserable and your chance to be happy is right in front of you."

"I'm not having an affair--"

"Divorce the bitch!"

"I'm not going to put Baylee through that!"

"If you stay married to Leighanne, your son is going to think marriage is where the wife is always away and when she is home, she abuses the husband."

"I'm not abused--"

"Everytime you come over after a fight, you have fucking bruises all over your damn body, B!"

"I'm clumsy as Hell," Brian grunted, reaching across the coffee table to snatch his keys. He was tired of the accusations. "And I love Leighanne. She's a good woman. Successful. Determined. She came straight up to me after that video shoot and asked for my number--"

"Not because she liked you."

"What do you--"

"She wanted you for your fame and money. Why can't you see that?"

"Because she's not spending every dime of mine and hanging around home, laying on the sofa, eating bon-bons!" Brian exploded with disgust, tripping over the blanket that had been tossed by Stacia when she retrieved Baylee. Cursing unexpectedly, he kicked at the nearby wall. Why had things gone so wrong in his life?

"--Where are you going?"

"Home. I'll pick up Scooper in the morning."

"Bri, wait--"

"I'm not going to stay and be attacked about my life and my marriage. I'll be here in the morning," Brian interrupted, grasping the doorknob.

AJ opened his mouth to speak, but the slam of the front door echoed throughout the large home. He hadn't meant to push Brian, but it had been unavoidable. At some point, Brian needed to wake up to the reality of his life. Good or bad.