- Text Size +
Staring at the wealth of beautiful dresses lined on the walls, Stacia was quite hesitant to step inside the expensive store. That is till Holly grabbed the younger woman's wrist and pulled her inside. Brian and AJ were already greeting the designer who had practically begged to design party gowns for Stacia and Holly. The Backstreet Boys' return with a fresh single and a new album had hypnotized the public. They deseperately sought to find even mere glimpses of the men and their beloved. So, every designer was steadily working on being cased at the party. She had originally thought it would just be herself, Holly, and AJ looking at the dresses, but Brian had surprised them by showing up quite suddenly. She now just hoped that the conversations would steer away from her confession and focus on the party.

"Hol, these dresses are way too rich for my taste!" Stacia objected as they stepped into the fresh, vibrant store. The air almost seemed too expensive to breathe as Holly continued to pull on her wrist.

"The designer specifically picked out a selection for us to try. Whatever we like, we can have. Free of charge. They just want us to represent their labels so hopefully other women come to the store--"

"I am not a billboard," Stacia groaned, wanting to take a lesson from Baylee and flop onto the floor. She even thought she could tuck her arms against her chest and hold her breath till she turned blue.

"Billboards have writing on them. As far as I'm concerned, none of the dresses have that... unless you think writing the brand name across your boobs will help--"

Glancing down to the swell of her breasts tucked beneath a form-fitting sport's bra, Stacia actually grinned wryly. "They're big enough--"

"I was being sarcastic," Holly groaned as they reached the men and the designer.

"But I could get some serious ads--"

"Ads for what?" AJ interrupted with a raised eyebrow.

"My big t--"

"Stacia!"

"What?!"

"Hush up before you embarass yourself."

"I wouldn't be embarrassed," Stacia murmured, moving into the shop. Tucking her hands into the back pocket of her jeans, she watched AJ and Holly embrace the designer. They spoke for a few moments, gestured toward Stacia, and then moved to the dressing room. The assistant would look after Stacia's outfits, but she was preoccupied with Brian. He looked so downtrodden. "...Bear?"

"Hey, Staci-Gracie," Brian tried to give a cheerful smile as he turned to face her.

"What's wrong?"

"Just tired," Brian lied, dragging his good hand over his sandy blonde curls. He longed to tell her that he missed her terribly and hated that she would be going to the party with Nick. The media had already stirred a frenzy around the couple and every picture of Nick embracing Stacia had mysteriously ended up taped on the fridge each morning...

"You look like you need a nap," Stacia agreed, gently brushing her fingers across his forehead. "The busted wrist giving you pain?"

"A little bit," Brian nodded, closing his eyes to her touch. "The release of the new album keeps me up, too. We just want the fans to love it..."

"You don't have to worry about that," Stacia assured softly, leaning to press a soft kiss against his cheek. "The fans adore all of you, so of course they're going to love the music."

"I hope so."

"I know so."

"Yeah?" Brian opened his eyes with a small, true smile.

"I promise," Stacia answered with a firm nod.

"And that's one of the many reasons why you're in my thank you's--"

"I'm in your thank you's?" Stacia questioned with surprise when the designer's assistant suggested she go to the dressing room. Nodding, she twined her fingers with Brian's and led him toward her dressing room. A plush couch waited inside and she helped him take a seat. She was used to undressing in front of him, so it hadn't bothered her to keep him close. It had been the first time they had really talked since her dirty little secret surfaced.

"Of course. Why wouldn't you be?" Brian replied in his own tone of surprise as dresses were brought into the room.

"I don't know..." Stacia trailed with a shrug of her shoulders, fingering the delicate materials. "I just... Since Leighanne..."

"Staci, you know how much you mean to me. You're my best friend. It was only natural to put you in my thank you's."

"As long as I'm not the first one--" Seeing Brian's crestfallen facial expression, Stacia took in a sharp breath of air. "...I'm first?"

"Yes. You, then Baylee, the guys, Holly, my family--"

"People are going to think we're having a torrid affair--"

"Who cares what people think? You're my best friend and the people who know that matter."

"You used to care what people think..."

"And look where it led me..."

"...Where has it led you?"

"Do we need to talk about my home life?"

"Sometimes I wish we would."

"Stac--"

"Talking about it could help, Bear."

"Then you would have to talk about Philadelphia."

It was Stacia's turn to stiffen. And indeed she did, her fist clenching around the delicate silk fabric of a dress she had been eyeing. Turning, she appraised the seriousness in Brian's ceurlean blue eyes. No one had breathed a word of her secret since she had admitted what was the cause of her home's break-in. It was as if everyone were afraid of her reaction. Yet, there Brian sat, broken, and willing to take the risk. "Bear, that's different."

"You say talking about my home life could help. Talking about Philadelphia can do the same thing."

"I'm fine with what happened in Philly."

"Stacia, I know that's not true."

"It happens to tons of women in Philly all the time."

"Yeah, it happens to women all over the world. The difference is, a lot of women go to someone and talk about it. You haven't."

"There's nothing to say--"

"Staci..."

"It's not like I was a virgin," she laughed, focusing on the reflection in the mirror. Clenching her fists till they blanched white, she bit down hard on her bottom lip. "I gave that to you years ago."

"Not being a virgin doesn't have anything to do with it. Damnit, Staci, you need to talk about it. That's why you have those panic attacks and all those different medications."

"I take those medications to keep the panic attacks from coming."

"The panic attacks wouldn't even happen if you talked to someone about what he did to you."

"I really don't want to talk about it in public, Brian."

"You never want to talk about it."

"It's not exactly a high point in my life, Brian," Stacia snapped with annoyance, forcing herself into one of the dresses. Why Brian had come to the fitting just to stress the points of her inevitable breakdown was beyond her. She hated that he could poke and prod into her life where no one else seemed to be able to go. He knew her far too well and she hated that about him.

"I know it's not. But that isn't an excuse not to talk about it. You work in the emergency room. You've dealt with victims before and you know the repercussions when they try to block the trauma out of their mind."

"This isn't the place to talk about it," Stacia stressed softly when Holly started to chide the two about hiding in the dressing room. There was AJ's laughter followed by an unfamiliar voice. Tugging on one of the dresses, Stacia leaned into the door to observe the introductions, wondering why the voice was so familiar.

"Name a place we could talk about it."

"Brian--"

"I want a place."

"I don't have time to talk about it with Nick being--"

"Please don't use him as an excuse."

"I'm not using him as an excuse--"

"But you'll use him to make me jealous?"

"I'm not using him at all!"

"Then you're using me!"

"How can you say that I use you? I let you hold me and tell me how much you hate your wife. I let you give me those kisses that make my heart skip. I love you, Brian! Fuck, you know that I do!"

"I know--"

"Then you have no right to say I've used you!" Stacia slammed her palm against the wall of the dressing room. "I've been going out with Nick because he's sweet, funny and caring. He protects me. You can't do that. You have never been able to!"

"You've never given me the chance!"

"And I'd never want to because I'd probably die waiting," Stacia seethed, hearing the uncomfortable clearing of a throat from outside. Yanking one of the dresses from the hanger, she hurriedly stepped into the garment and then opened the dressing room door. Acting as if nothing had gone awry, she stepped toward AJ, Holly, and their new aquaintance. "What about this dress?"

"Ohh... umm... it looks nice," Holly tried to mutter a response. The tension built from Brian and Stacia's fight could be cut with a knife.

"I think you look lovely, Stacia," the aquaintance decided with a firm nod. His light gray eyes sparked with an intense interest when he noted her figure tucked into the beautiful sapphire colored dress. The skirt was short and flared with an empire waist. He traveled each curve presented, unable to help the lofty smile gracing his handsome face.

"And you are?" Stacia immediately questioned, tensing when she felt Brian step behind her.

"Oh! I'm Eric, Holly's new assistant. I've heard so much about you... it's like I know you," Eric offered another smile, holding his hand out to her.

"Nice to meet you," Stacia murmured, though she hadn't the immediate reaction to take his hand. Instead, she stepped back against Brian as if natural instinct and allowed the man to take Eric's hand instead. Narrowing her emerald eyes toward the man, she tensed when her skin seemed to crawl beneath his gaze.

"A little shy, I see..." Eric trailed off with a soft chuckle.

"That girl is not shy," AJ chuckled. "Hell, I thought she'd at least try to flirt..."

"Alex, don't start," Holly scorned, watching as Stacia's posture stiffened, allowing Brian to stand close to her.

"Holly's new assistant?" Brian suddenly asked when AJ prepared to retort, but ended up pressing a kiss to his lover's lips as means of an apology. Keeping a keen eye upon the new man, he frowned when Stacia actually shivered against him. Her hand curled over the lapel of his coat, wanting him nearer.

"Yes, I just started a couple of days ago," Eric replied, watching as Brian's arm slipped around Stacia's waist.

"Where did you come from?" Brian continued to question, tucking Stacia to his side and stepping forward as if to hide her. His right arm was still tucked into a sling to position the cast, but he made sure to hold her. Whatever fight had been brewing died quite quickly.

"From all over, but I moved here from the east coast."

"What state?"

"Am I being interrogated here?" Eric raised an eyebrow.

"Not all. Just curious, that's all."

"I'm from New Jersey," Eric murmured. "What about you?"

"Kentucky."

"I'm glad you learned the importance of shoes--"

"Excuse me? What are you trying to imply?" Brian's back stiffened. Any ill words against his background always made him defensive.

Eric chuckled and reached out to gently pat Brian's shoulder. "I'm just kidding. It's really nice to meet you, Brian. Holly has told me a lot about you."

"Good things, I hope," Brian replied. Stacia was almost shaking... something wasn't right.

"Enough to know that you're quite the lucky man right now," Eric agreed when Holly and AJ excused themselves so she could try on another dress. Instantly, Eric looked to Stacia and winked in Brian's direction. "Of course, I heard that you're not taking her to the party..."

"We're all going to be there..." Brian trailed off, not caring to divulge that Nick was going to be taking Stacia.

"But with different dates."

"Yes--"

"I'll be there," Eric promised, smiling toward Stacia. "I'll be working for Holly, but I wouldn't say no to a few dances--"

"I should go try on the other dresses," Stacia murmured toward Brian.

"Go ahead, Sweetheart," Brian relinquished his hold on her, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"It was a pleasure meeting you, Stacia."

"Likewise," Stacia nodded as she turned and walked back to the dressing room.

"If you stared any harder at her, I think her clothes would rip off from the sheer force," Brian growled toward the new man when the door to Stacia's dressing room closed sharply.

"She's a beautiful woman in case you didn't notice."

"Do you realize how uncomfortable you made her? Women aren't meant to be ogled at like a damn piece of meat."

"You're the one starting a fight with her in public."

"You're not one to be criticizing anything right now, Eric."

"Jealous, aren't you?"

"You have got some nerve, man. I will give you that much," Brian laughed in disbelief.

"Balls of steel too," Eric assured, throwing a wave toward Holly and AJ when they stepped out to admire her new dress. "I'm sure I'll be seeing Stacia soon. Tell her I said goodbye, would'ja?"

"Mm-hmm," Brian gave a curt nod as Eric sauntered out of the store.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Pushing herself off the foot of the bed, Stacia stepped toward the full length mirror in her guest room to observe her appearance once more. The designer dress that she had chosen fit like a dream. It was a beautiful jade green that accentuated the dark emerald green of her lovely eyes. The jersey knit was light and soft, caressing her curves quite delicately. It was sleeveless babydoll dress with an empire waist and a french knot detailing at the swell of her cleavage. The hem kissed the middle of her thighs. Flirty. That's what Holly had coined it. Yet, as beautiful as everyone thought her to be, she was still quite critical of the reflection. The bruises and abrasions had healed from the attack, but what was left underneath was still quite raw. In fact, she had doubled up on her medication just for tonight's event. Not that she dreaded being with Nick, because she adored him. But she feared seeing Brian with Leighanne... And Eric...

"That man is just fucking creepy," Stacia muttered to herself, attempting to move around the material of the dress. Maybe if she could hide a little more skin, it would be easier.

"Well, holy fuck, look what a bucket of cold water and a hard scrub brush can create!" AJ suddenly whistled when he rapped on the door of the guest room to catch Stacia's attention. He grinned proudly when he held his arms out to her, wholly impressed with the transformation from barefeet, jeans, and t-shirts to a gorgeous dress. "Baby, you are going to be on fire tonight!"

"You flatter me way too much, Alex," Stacia teased with a hard groan, though she pressed a kiss to his cheek nonetheless. Then, brushing some of the lipgloss off his cheek with her thumb, she moved back to the mirror in attempts to pull at the dress. "If I pull one way, I show way too much the other way..."

"Sweetie, don't tug on it. If it rips, Hols will put you six feet under before you can say 'holy monkey fuck'," AJ reached out and grabbed her hands. "You'll be more dressed than half of the women who will show up tonight and you look gorgeous."

"I look like I should be waiting on the corner," Stacia groaned when AJ pulled her into a warm embrace, keeping her from fussing once more.

"You do not. Do I need to remind you what J.Lo wore the year we were nominated for the Grammy's? That's a woman who should be waiting on the corner. Not you."

"My boobs are way too big to be handled by some flimsy double-sided tape!"

"True, but do you see what I'm saying minus the boob size difference?"

"I understand," Stacia promised with a curt nod, leaning forward to press another quick kiss of thanks to his lips. "Thanks for taking me in."

"Anytime, Stace. The nest gets a little empty when you're gone--"

"Then get started on filling the house with a couple kids."

"The thought has crossed my mind..."

"Well, get her in bed and get it done!"

"It takes more than that!" AJ laughed.

"Like what?!"

"Planning!"

"Who would have thought that Alexander McLean would want to plan for children," Stacia teased, blowing a wet raspberry to his cheek before fixing the loose tie looped around his neck. "Children are quite special and I understand. After all, you both want to be in the right place... Don't want anyone resenting the kid..."

"That and... I just want to make sure I can be a good dad."

"Of course you will be. Look at Tony -- he's the father you never had, and I know he's taught you a lot."

"Yeah..."

"Don't worry, Alex. You've been like a father to me, too. I'm not too fucked up."

"Thanks for the reassurance," AJ chuckled.

"You're welcome," Stacia chirped, allowing him to play with her newly straightened golden locks. "Amazing what straightening irons can do, right? Think Nick will like it?"

"Without a doubt," AJ twirled a finger around a piece of her locks. "You look good with straight hair."

"...Brian won't notice because Leighanne will be there..." Stacia murmured, more to herself than AJ. Chewing on her glossed bottom lip, she fought the hard ball of pressure growing within her chest. Their fight at the designer store had been horribly embarrassing, but Eric's entrance had curbed it somewhat. Still, Brian had yet to talk to her again. It seemed like they grew close and then parted when they grew too close...

"You ever think that maybe he notices, but can't say anything because of the fact that she's there? You know how she treats him when you're around."

"If he just left her--"

"Believe me, I know."

"I don't even know why I keep busting my ass over it and fighting with him. I absolutely refuse to be his whore and he absolutely refuses to leave his wife. We're just not going to win the battle... Besides, Nick's a great guy..."

"Stace... don't settle. That wouldn't be fair to you or Nick if the only reason you chose him was because you can't be with Brian."

"I'm not settling," Stacia promised, walking across the room to retrieve her strappy heeled sandals for the evening. "I really enjoy spending time with Nick. He knows how to make me laugh and he always has this way of trying to touch me. Like when I laugh he'll pull me close to make me laugh harder. I just... I feel safe with him."

"I know. But you're young... you don't need to worry about all thay drama having a steady relationship," AJ tried to joke. "I've spent too many nights on the couch--"

"Alex! I'm not considering a serious relationship and neither is he. We just like the sex--"

"STACIA!"

"What I do?!"

"You do not have sex with Nick!"

"...Do you really want me to answer that?"

"You are going to give me a damn heart attack!"

"Well, do you really want to know or not--"

"God no!" AJ groaned with a hard shudder, pointing an accusing finger in her direction. "You two are not going to the party by yourselves tonight. God only knows what the fuck would happen! You'd never make it! And... Jesus, I don't want to know!"

"Calm down, Alex," Stacia laughed. "Little upset that your girl is growing up?"

"My little girl and my little brother! Oh God... that's... that's INCEST!"

"Jesus, Alex, we're not doing anything that damn kinky!"

"It's wrong!"

"We're not doing anything!"

"You just said--"

"I was just teasing," Stacia groaned, leaning out into the hallway. "Holly! Come get your man before he has a heart attack over my sex life!"

"You just need to stop giving him grief," Holly laughed, her heels clacking softly as she walked into the bedroom.

"I can't help it that he has a morbid fascination with my sex life," Stacia pouted, though she smiled nonetheless at Holly's entrance. The woman had decided upon the kimono inspired dress from the designer. It was a black mini-dress with long bell sleeves and a deep v-neck and all the hemming was accentuated by a gorgeous white lace. "God, you're hot, Hollywood."

"I try," Holly laughed with a smile as she kissed Stacia's cheek. "You look beautiful, Stace-Grace."

"Thank you," Stacia accepted with a dark blush accentuating her cheeks.

"Now aren't you glad we brought you to that designer? You got the perfect dress."

"I would have been perfectly happy in my jeans and a t-shirt," Stacia answered, though she grinned when she heard Nick bellow from the living room. Snatching her sandals from the bed, she flipped her hair behind her bare shoulders and hurried down the stairs. "Nicky!"

"Hey, Sweetie! Wow, you look amazing!" Nick grinned as she jumped into his arms.

"Not really, but thanks for saying so," Stacia murmured with a soft smile when his lips naturally brushed over hers. Cupping the back of his neck within her hands, she deepened the kiss into a hungry need, delighted by the soft moan he exuded. Somehow, she always felt the need to prove herself to him. Wanting to show him that she was interested as if she could lie to her heart.

"I mean it," Nick whispered against her lips as their foreheads connected.

"So you approve of the dress?" she questioned against his lips, smiling when he pulled her against him, allowing her legs to wrap about his waist.

"Oh, I definitely approve--"

"Would you stop man-handling her in my house?" AJ suddenly grunted as he walked down the steps. He glared at the way the two were embraced, looking back to his lover in exasperation. As close as he was to Nick, he couldn't help but feel that Nick was just looking for a physical connection with Stacia while Brian was on the outs.

"Touchy," Nick clicked his tongue in annoyance he let Stacia back to the floor.

"He's just protective," Stacia made excuse for AJ.

"Extremely protective," AJ agreed, glaring at the way Nick's arm slid around Stacia's waist and his hand rested on the inner curve of her hip. "You two are going straight to the party, right?"

"Yes, Papa, we're going straight to the party--"

"Don't play with me, Nick."

"Alex, we're going straight to the party. I promise," Stacia replied.

AJ looked to Holly quite skeptically before looking to Stacia. "I still think you guys should ride with us--"

"Alex, trust me. Please," Stacia interrupted. "We'll be at the party on time."

"You better be," AJ grunted when Holly slipped an hand on his arm.

"We're going now..." Stacia trailed, reaching for Nick's hand after pushing her feet into the heeled sandals. Watching AJ just stare at Nick as if he were vermon, she tensed and gently tugged on Nick's hand to lead him out the door. She could hear Holly and AJ whispering in the background when she shut the door and something about 'Rape Trauma Syndrome,' but decided to ignore it.

"Y'know, I'd gladly ditch the party to get some one-on-one with you, Babe," Nick decided with a smirk as he led her to the driveway where his Escalade was waiting. Guding her to the passenger's side, he helped her in and then leaned on her legs to catch her lips in a soft, sensual kiss.

"I know you would," Stacia purred, gently running her fingers through his wild blonde locks. He tried much too hard to steal her away in the privacy of locked bedrooms, but she wasn't ready for that commitment. The very thought of engaging in a sexual activity caused her entire body to clench with fear... Though, when Brian had tried... "But we do need to go to the party. You've got to make your appearances. Maybe afterwards."

"I'll be keeping you to that suggestion," Nick warned with a smirk as he kissed her again and hopped into the driver's side.

"There was absolutely no doubt in my mind, Nicky," Stacia laughed, reaching to play with the stereo system as he buckled himself in and backed out the driveway.

"Well good," Nick leaned over and kissed her cheek as she finally settled on Unbreakable, the guys' new CD.

"And you already know that I can't manage to pay attention through a ballad to save my life, so don't get upset when my fingers are constantly on the buttons," Stacia warned when she leaned back in her seat and reached for the seatbelt. Pulling to secure it over her chest and waist, she then tucked her bare legs beneath her and leaned forward to to settle on a fast tempo song. "...And I'd be really grateful if we kept far away from Holly's new assistant tonight... Even if he wants to put you on a front page spread of Playboy or some shit."

"He makes you feel uncomfortable?" Nick took his eyes off the road for a moment to glance at her.

"With all the drunks guys that come into the ER on a daily basis, I've gotten used to men trying to put their hands everywhere you don't want and looking at you as if they can see right through your clothes... But..." Heaving a soft sigh, Stacia tucked a few strands of blonde locks behind her pierced ears, glancing in the side mirror to note approaching headlights. "Something about him just ain't right..."

"We'll stay away from him tonight," Nick reached over and threaded his fingers through hers. "The last thing I want is to see you uncomfortable. Don't worry about him, okay?"

"Alright," Stacia accepted with a small nod, bringing their hands to her lips for a quick kiss. "And keep me away from Leighanne. I'd hate to have to rip her new weave out in front of photographers."

"God, that would be priceless, though," Nick laughed heartily, remembering more than one occasion when Leighanne had tried to start something with Stacia and merely ended up embarassing herself.

"It would upset Brian."

"Yeah, I guess so," Nick reluctantly agreed. "We'll steer clear of her tonight."

"Some days I just think I shouldn't be staying with Alex and Holly anymore. That I should just move back to Philly and maybe find a place in the suburbs. I forgot all the drama that happens when I come to visit," Stacia murmured, looking to the side mirror once more to see the headlights that had been approaching suddenly lurch with a thrust of speed. "...What the fuck is this idiot doing?"

"I don't know..." Nick looked into the rearview mirror and had to turn away when the vehicles brights turned on. "Jesus Christ!"

Blinded by the sudden explosion of bright lighting, Nick's hand jerked from Stacia's grip in hopes to reach the steering wheel. The Escalade swayed precariously on the road, veering off onto the rumble strips. Yet the car behind them hadn't seemed to notice nor car, instead speeding up till the bumpers connected. The power of the hit sent Stacia forward and her head connected sharply with the dashboard. "Nick, tell him to stop!"

"Hold on!" Nick gritted, clenching the wheel tightly with one hand. His other reached outside the window and he made a gesture for the other driver to go around.

Immediately, the headlights exploded with another surge of brightness, reflecting off the mirrors and causing Nick to grunt. He struggled to catch the wheel once more when they swayed, but the car behind them increased its speed. The Escalade began to squeal in objection, but the driver behind them continued to lay upon the gas, loosening their control of the Escalade. Soon, they found themselves at a loss when a somewhat steep enbankment approached.

"Fuck, he's trying to crash us!"

But Stacia didn't have any time to reply to Nick's realization when the car behind stopped for a moment and rammed them with all the power he could muster. The sharp squealing of tires when Nick hit the breaks was powerless to stop them. And the Escalade flipped. Rolling down the embankment, the couple was encased in thousands of pounds of crushing steel and glass. And the last sound Stacia could distinguish was the reversing of a damaged car.