- Text Size +
“Should we take yours or mine?” Nick asked as we entered the garage.

“Yours of course.” I said without hesitation as he closed the door behind me.

“Damn, someone’s looking to live dangerously tonight.” He joked.

“No, we always take your car when we go out. Don’t get overexcited.”

“True, but I’ve been dying to drive it!” Nick grinned with excitement as he slid past me and proceeded to his black Mercedes Benz to open the door for me. He leaned back against the car, looking ever so sexy as he waited for me. He was wearing a midnight blue dress shirt with a gray undershirt, and black slacks that emphasized his long legs. I blushed a little as I approached him; I wasn’t use to seeing him dressed up anymore.

“Damn Carter, you might be showing me up tonight.” I joked as I stopped in front of him. He eyed me in my sleeveless black satin cocktail dress, and shook his head.

“I don’t think so babe, not with this gut.” He stood up and took my hand as he helped me in the car. Soon after he jumped in and backed out of the driveway. I ignored his comment about his weight, nothing was going to ruin my excitement about tonight; going out on the town before we had kids, before we had responsibilities, back when it was all about us. It felt like we were dating again.

“What are you thinking?” Nick peered over at me. I looked at him,

“I was just trying to remember the last time we had a night out. It seems like we always stay in.”

“But the nights in are more enjoyable.” He chuckled; I sighed,

“Seriously Nick, when was that last time we went out for ourselves?”

He was silent for a while before speaking, “ I don’t remember. We’ll have to fix that when I get back from L.A.” He placed a hand on my leg as he drove.

“Whatever. I know you’ll go out when you’re there, and you’ll get home and be tired and lazy.”

“Tired? I don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re the one who comes home exhausted. ‘Not now Nick, I have to lie down’.”

“I do not! I clean up after the mess you made all day, while you were tweeting.”

He chuckled. “Don’t hate the twitter. You know you like it.” He turned and winked at me.

“Right, that’s what I was thinking.” I spoke sarcastically.

“You can’t honestly say you don’t look at my posts when I’m in L.A.”

“Oh great, just what I have to look forward to. Adventures in Carter land.”

“Babe, everyday is an adventure in Carter land.” He winked as he smacked my leg with the palm of his hand.

“Ow! Carter.” I punched his shoulder. “You better not be pulling this shit in the restaurant.”

“That’s why I’m getting ‘this shit’ out now.” He grinned innocently at me. I shook my head,

“You are too much, you know that?”

“Yes, I am. And you like it.” He stuck his tongue out at me as we continued along the highway. I sat back and watched the scenery pass by. The week had gone by as Nick predicted it would. Our proposal was accepted, and as Dave promised, he was throwing a party downtown. Although it was meant to take place the night of our proposal, he decided a party would be better held until after we had a contract.

We exited the highway, and ventured our way through the streets to the parking garage closest to the restaurant. When we pulled in I cringed as the ceiling closed in on us.

“Oh, I hate parking garages.” I grabbed a hold of the door handle before we took a turn up to the next level.

“Chill babe. You do this every time.” He laughed at me.

“Its not funny. They make me claustrophobic.” I cringed again as a car drove past us. “Why do you have to park so high?” Nick took my other hand,

“Just breathe. We’re almost done.” He rubbed the back of it for a minute before parking on one of the least occupied levels. I relaxed after he put the car in park.

“You would not last in L.A. if garages freak you out.”

“That’s exactly why we don’t live there.” I said as I exited the car to get some air. After he closed his door, he came around to me and gently rubbed my back.

“You ok now?”

“Yeah, lets get out of here. I need a drink.” I clutched my bag in my hands as we walked towards the elevator.

“Do I need to hold your hand as we ride down?” Nick joked.

“No, you smart ass,” I glared at him, “You got it out of your system yet?”

“Never,” He grinned while we waited for the elevator, “You’re stuck with me forever.”

“Aren’t I special.” I rolled my eyes appearing to be annoyed, when I was secretly smiling inside.

“Yes, you are” He took a step to the left and planted a kiss on top of my head. I took his hand as the doors opened and led him into the elevator. I selected the ground level before wrapping my arms around his waist.

“Now, there is one rule for tonight.” I looked up into his blue eyes,

“Hmm… and what is that?” He asked as he joined my embrace.

“You must at all times, be on your best behavior.” I smiled.

“Not gonna happen. Its too hard.” We kissed just before the elevator stopped. When we exited, we were met with the cool evening breeze. I shivered upon first contact; Nick caught me and chuckled as we walked down the sidewalk.

“Wish you had a jacket don’t you?”

“No. It was just a normal reaction to the temperature change.” I tried to play it cool.

“Deny all you want, you know you wish you had one. I’d give you mine but I’m not wearing one.” He winked.

“Shut up Carter. I wouldn’t look hot if I were wearing one anyway.”

He looked over at me, and smiled. “Okay, I’ll shut up.”

“Well thanks Nick. I’m glad you think I wouldn’t be hot if I were wearing a jacket.”

“I didn’t say that, you did! Don’t twist my words around.” He quickly became defensive.

“Uh huh.” I elbowed him as we turned the corner towards our destination. I couldn’t wait to meet up with my friends from work. I know I see them everyday, but they are like my family. Thankfully they all get along well with Nick, nothing better than your man liking your friends.

I reached for the door, and Nick stopped me.

“Wait, let me be a gentleman and get that for you. Since we never go out anymore.”

“Alright, are you finally done now?” I dropped my shoulders and stared at him.

“Yeah, relax.” He held the door open and followed behind me. I felt a hand at my lower back as we approached the greeter. She instantly recognized us and smiled. “Good evening Renee, love your dress!”

“Thanks Crystal.” I faked politeness knowing what was going to happen next.

“You’ll have to tell me where you got it,” She broke her attention away from me and smiled at Nick. “Looking good Nick. How have you been?”

“Evening Crystal, I’ve been great, thank you for asking.”

“You’re welcome, have you been writing new songs? I can’t wait to hear more!” She touched his arm, and I laughed. Every time we come in she always finds a way to flirt with him. Last time we came in she claimed she wanted to be a singer.

“I have a couple deals under way.” He smiled.

“That’s so exciting, who are you working with next?” She asked. Ignoring the conversation, I looked around and spotted Jenni and Susan, Dave’s wife, leaving the bar.

“Hey Ladies.” I walked over and interrupted their conversation.

“Renee! You made it.” Susan greeted me with a hug.

“We did, Eric didn’t want to leave Nick or we would have been here sooner.”

“Aw, still going through that huh?”

“Sometimes. He’s getting better though.”

“So where is the handsome man?” She asked looking around the room.

“Oh you know who has him.” They both looked over at Nick who was still humoring Crystal.

“You think she’d stop already, she knows he’s not available.” Jenni chimed in.

“That doesn’t stop anyone.” I commented. Nick caught us looking at him and finally excused himself.

“Evening Ladies.” He spoke casually, stopping next to me.

“Nick! It’s been so long since I’ve seen you!” Susan gave him a hug, like he was her son, “You look good tonight!”

“You’re looking pretty good too Susan.” He winked.

“Oh, you just know how to flatter an old woman.” I laughed at Susan’s remark. She was by far one of the classiest women I have ever known; she was anything but old and was always dressed head to toe in designer clothes.

“You know you’re my next pick if I didn’t have Renee.” They all laughed while I smiled at him.

“I don’t know. Dave might have something to say about that.” I joked.

“What he doesn’t know wont hurt him,” Susan smiled, “Come on girls lets go join up with the group. Don’t just stand there Nick, get this young lady a drink, wont ya?” Susan took my arm and started walking with me. I gave Nick a weary look, and he just smiled before walking to the bar. Jenni followed right behind us.

“He does look good. Has he been losing weight?” Jenni asked.

“Yeah, he’s started this new health food diet. He’s concerned about his weight now that the boys are getting older. Claims he’s having trouble keeping up with them. I’ve never noticed before.” I simply stated, although that wasn’t all true. He had lost a couple inches around his waist.

“Well either way, he’s one great catch Renee.” Susan winked at me.

“Thanks Susan. I know he is.” When we reached the party, I saw all the familiar faces. They greeted me simultaneously and followed up with where’s nick? He’s going to be here tonight isn’t he? I swear sometimes he’s more important to them then I am. I was caught up in the hellos that I missed someone.

“Don’t forget Marc, Renee.” I heard Dave speak to me. I turned around and saw Marc Ayres, our client, walk into the room. I was surprised. No one informed me he was going to be here.

“Good evening, Renee. Good to see you again.” He reached out his hand, and I shook it.

“You too Marc. Glad you could join us.” I lied. I wanted nothing more than to relax tonight, and now I felt like I had to be on good behavior.

“Its my pleasure to be here. Thank you for inviting me Susan.” He spoke very sincerely.

“Oh, you’re welcome honey. Couldn’t bear to think of you dining alone tonight in your hotel while we’re all here celebrating. After all you are the reason behind our gathering.” As I watched their conversation, I noticed how well kept Marc was. There wasn’t one wrinkle in his suit, his shoes shined like they had just been polished, and there wasn’t one strand of hair out of place. He looked like he was trying to impress us, but yet there wasn’t one ounce of arrogance in his actions or his speech. He almost reminded me of Susan.

“Here, babe.” Nick interrupted the conversation as he handed me my drink. I put my purse down on the table and took the drink in my right hand.

“Thanks Nick,” I smiled and took a drink before introducing him to Marc, “I’d like for you to meet Marc, he’s joining us for the evening.”

“Ah, so you’re the man who will be keeping my wife away from me,” he joked; I choked as I took another drink. I couldn’t believe he said that, to a client of all people.

“You alright Renee?” He asked me, while I was coughing. I nodded after I cleared my throat.

“Sorry, I have the tendency to be inappropriate, I’m Nick.” He reached out to shake Marc’s hand.

“Marc Ayres, don’t worry. It’s always good to have a sense of humor.” I wanted to die. Better yet, hurt Nick for making a fool of himself.

“We do have lots of that around here.” Dave agreed, “Why don’t we all get something to eat and sit down?” He motioned towards Susan, and they walked away.

“I can’t believe you Nick.” I whispered to him as we walked towards the buffet table. I was furious. He looked back at me,

“Relax, he thought it was funny.”

“Did he? I didn’t hear him laughing.” I spoke seriously.

“It’s all good.” He smiled his charming grin, and I scowled. I hated how carefree he could be at times. I wanted to say more, but I held back. Tonight was about having fun, and I was determined, now more than ever, to make that happen.