- Text Size +
Wednesday came faster than I wanted it too. I was dreading this date. I had managed through Monday and Tuesday hoping he wouldn’t really show up. I figured it would be a little weird and a lot awkward considering our “relationship” so far. I didn’t know anything about him; well except he had a Bernese Mountain Dog named Bernie that now had cancer. I didn’t even know this man’s name. What if we had nothing in common? What if this so-called date was nothing but a disaster? And why was I freaking out so much about it? That was very unlike me. I needed to get a grip.

“Morgan?”

Dianna’s voice cut through my thoughts and I blinked some, focusing on her face, worry etched across it. “Hm?”

“Are you alright? I’ve been standing here for almost a minute calling your name.”

Oops. “Yeah, I’m good.” I smoothed my shirt and sat up a little more in the lounge chair.

“Are you sure?” She crossed the back patio and sank down in the chair next to mine. “You had a really weird expression on your face.”

I chewed my bottom lip, debating on rather or not I wanted to tell her about my supposed date that night. For all I know, he may not even show. “Um…”

Her deep brown eyes bore into me. “What is going on?”

Who was I kidding; I couldn’t hide anything from her.

“I have to tell you something.” I shifted in my chair to face her. “And you have to promise not to …joke about this or pressure me or anything like that.”

She must have sensed the seriousness in my voice because she only gave a nod.

“Okay,” I took a little breath, trying to decide on how to explain this weird predicament I was in. “Do you remember that guy….the one with the dog?”

“Daisy’s dog-friend’s owner?” She gave a nod. “I do. His dog has cancer, right?”

“Right.”

“How is he doing? Have you seen him around?”

“Um…sort of…” I rubbed my shoulder. “That’s kinda what I was gonna talk to you about.”

“Oh,” she lifted her brows. “Do continue.”

My fingers fiddled with the hem of my t-shirt. “I ran into him on Sunday. I was coming out of Kroger and he was standing out there smoking a cigarette.”

“The dog smokes?”

I blinked then realized she was teasing me. “Dianna….you agreed no jokes.”

“You’re right, I’m sorry.” She cleared her throat and crossed her legs, motioning me to continue. “Go on.”

Wetting my lips, I hesitated then spoke again. “We made small talk and he said he had this long list of stuff he had to do for his dog. I wished him the best and then as I was heading towards my car … he asked me to dinner.” My stomach was starting to do flips and I looked to my friend, wondering if I even wanted to see her reaction.

Her eyes were wide with surprise. “He asked you on a date?”

I could only nod my head.

“Wha… what did you say?”

“I…nothing.” I rubbed my forehead. “I was just so shocked; I didn’t know what to say. And then he started going on about what day we could go out and before I even knew what was going on…he’d said he’d be here Wednesday night at seven to pick me up.”

Dianna just stared at me.

I cringed some and gave a heavy sigh. “It was just so weird and I don’t even know him and we still haven’t officially introduced ourselves so I don’t even-“

“Today is Wednesday.” My friend interrupted me.

“What? Yes, I know.”

She checked her watch, turning the face of the band so she could see it better. “And it’s 5:57pm.”

A slight dread was starting to build in my stomach. “Yeah…”

“Which means, you have an hour until he’ll be here and you’re not even dressed.” She motioned towards my shorts and t-shirt. “That is not what you wear on a dinner date unless he’s taking you to Disneyland, and I highly doubt he is.”

I was just a little caught off guard. “Wha…I’ve decided I’m not going.”

“Why not?”

“Because, I don’t know him and it might be really uncomfortable and I’m really not ready to date again.”

“So, what are you going to do when he shows up? Tell him you’ve changed your mind and send him on his way?” She swiveled her legs sideways in the chair to face me.

“Well,” I gave a small shrug. “I was going to pretend I wasn’t home.”

“Morgan!” She sighed and shook her head. “Stop being childish. You’re a grown woman; you can go on one date with this man. His dog has cancer for pete’s sake.”

“You want me to go on a sympathy date?” I was a bit shocked that she wasn’t more concerned about me going out with a complete stranger.

She rose from her chair, motioning me to do the same. “It’s not a sympathy date. It’s a ‘let’s get our mind off of the horrible things we’re dealing with’ date. Which I think, could be very good for you.”

“But I don’t know him.”

She took my hands and tugged me up from the chair. “Well, after your date you should at least know his name. Now c’mon, you go shower and I’ll help you pick out something to wear.” Then she was ushering me inside, ignoring my meek whines of protest along the way.

~*~*~*~*~

At seven on the dot the doorbell rang.

I was in the living room trying to put the last of my personal items into my purse and Dianna had just fed Daisy and given her some fresh water.

My heart leaped into my throat at the sound of the chimes and I was suddenly all nerves. “Oh no…Dianna.”

“He’s here.” She hurried into the room, looking me over. “You look beautiful and he’s gonna be blown away.”

I winced and smoothed a hand over the cotton fabric of the raspberry colored, strapless, maxi style dress I wore. It was flowy and tea length with embroidered flowers in light pink and lilac around the skirt part. The empire waist was covered with a silky pale pink sash with a self tie at the front. Dianna had found it in the back of my closet with the tags still attached, and after fighting with her for five minutes over it, I was now dressed and ready to go. She won obviously.

The doorbell sounded again and I felt my breath catch in my throat. “Oh no, I can’t do this.” I shook my head; the soft curls Dianna had put my hair into brushed my face.

“Yes you can.” She took hold of my upper arms and forced me to look at her. “Just breathe and go answer the door. Don’t make me do it.”

I nodded and held a hand to my stomach, hoping to still the nerves inside. “Right. Okay.”

She nodded and took a step back. “Have fun. I’ll let myself out the back.”

I watched her disappear towards the patio door and took a calming breath. This wouldn’t be so bad; I was trying to keep every negative and freaked out thought at bay.

By the time the chimes sounded a third time I was at the front door. I undid the lock and slowly pulled it open, feeling the butterflies flapping wildly in my tummy.

He stood on the other side of the door looking as handsome as ever in a pair of dark slacks and a forest green polo, with the collar turned down all nice and neat. His hair was neatly styled and shaped into a little fauxhawk and his sunglasses hung from the collar of his shirt, those deep eyes already making my chest twinge.

“Hello.” His voice sent goosebumps down my spine.

I wet my bottom lip, feeling his eyes looking me over appreciatively. “Hi.”

“You look breathtaking.”

I couldn’t help the blush that tinged at my cheeks. “Thank you.”

His grin covered his entire face; it was a beautiful smile and really made his eyes shine. “You’re welcome. And these…” he produced a bouquet of beautiful yellow and white daisies. “…are for you.”

My eyes widened. “Ooh wow…they’re…beautiful!” I gingerly accepted them, holding them close and inhaling their scent. Suddenly the other yellow daisies I had received flashed through my mind and I stopped, tilting my head at him. “Can I ask you a silly question?”

“Of course.”

“Did you by chance…send me flowers the other day?”

His grin was a teasing one. “How did you figure me out?”

My eyes grew even more. “How…wha…” I shook my head. “I would have never guessed it was you until you gave me these.” I motioned to the bouquet in my hands. “And thank you for both.”

“Well, you’re welcome for both.”

I couldn’t help but match his grin. “Okay, let me just put these in water and I’ll be ready to go.”

He gave a nod. “Take your time.”

I invited him inside and he waited in the foyer while I found a vase and filled it with water. Then after arranging the flowers and setting the vase on the counter, I rejoined him.

“Okay, we can go.”

“Great.” He held the door open for me and I stepped outside, waiting until he’d come out behind me and shut it.

After locking it and tucking my key into my purse, he led us down the walk and to his black SUV, opening my door and ensuring I was safely inside before shutting it and moving around to his side.

“So,” he started after we were buckled and he had backed out of the driveway, steering the vehicle and maneuvering it down the street. “How do you like seafood?”

I gave a nod. “I grew up in Connecticut; lobster and crab are my favorites.”

“Connecticut, huh? That’s a long ways from California.”

“Yeah,” I watched out the window at the direction he was taking us. “I needed a change.” It was weird, but I didn’t feel as nervous as I thought I’d be. His presence was actually putting me at ease and that scared me somewhat.

“I get that.” He glanced over to me before taking a right turn. “I moved from Florida years back.”

“Oh yeah?” I chanced a look at him, feeling a warmth entering my chest. And it was then that I noticed the tattoos that lined both his arms, decorating them like a mural decorates a wall. He was a unique individual I could tell; something about him set him apart from everyone else. I wasn’t sure if it was the tattoos, or if it was deeper, but he was different.

“Yeah,” His eyes met mine. “I think it’s a very small percentage of people in and around Los Angeles that are actual natives.”

“I think you’re right.” I thought back on the different friends I had made during my time there and realized most of them had also moved from other cities or states.

“So, how long have you been in LA?”

“About a year and a half. You?”

“About seven years, almost eight.” He sat up some and made a left turn at a green light, checking the intersection for traffic.

I nodded, my eyes observing the intricate designs of his tattoos. “Did all those hurt?”

“What?” He glanced over and followed my gaze to his arms. “The tatts?”

“Yeah.”

He shrugged. “Not really. The ones on the underside of my arms were a bit painful, but nothing too terrible. After awhile it all goes numb anyway.”

I made a little face. “I don’t know if I could ever get one.”

“Why not?”

“Cuz needles freak me out. Just thinking about it makes me squirm.” A shudder ran through me as if to emphasize my point.

“I hate needles too.”

He slowed for a red light and my eyes grew. “Nuh uh.”

“Yes huh.”

“You can’t.” There was no way this man could hate needles. “I mean, look at you.”

He gave a low chuckle. “I do. I just try not to think about them when they’re inking me up.”

“Wow,” I shook my head in disbelief. “You must really love tattoos to overcome your needle fear that often.”

His laugh made my pulse race. “Just another form of self expression. Have you ever considered getting one?”

“Once.”

“Just once?”

“Yeah, just once.” I gave a little nod, returning my gaze to the window and watching the brake lights of the cars ahead of us. Three months after Hugh’s death I had debated on rather or not to tattoo something in his memory on my foot. But my fear of the needle and the pain kept me from actually going through with it.

He sensed the somber tone in my voice and changed the subject. “So, you do real estate?”

My head snapped back in his direction. “How did you get my work number?”

His lips curved into an amused grin. “A magnet on your fridge.”

I had forgotten he had been in my house. “Oh, right.” A beat. “Did you look through my things?” My experience with Dixon was making me wonder.

“Of course not; I don’t invade people’s privacy. I just noticed your business card magnet on your fridge when I got you the Tylenol and took note.”

“Oh.” That was a valid and logical explanation. “That was very sweet of you to check in on me like that.”

He flashed his heart warming grin and I felt my insides melt a little bit. “I just wanted to make sure you were okay. You took a pretty nasty hit.”

I was touched that this stranger had taken such concern with my well being. “Well, I’m good as new.” I brushed the spot on my temple; there was barely even a bump now. It was a little tender if pressed too hard, but the bruise was fading fast and the cut had healed up.

“Good.” He reached over and took my hand, giving it a warm squeeze before releasing it.

“So, what is this place you’re taking me to?” I crossed my legs, smoothing out the dress around them.

“It’s called Finns Creekside; one of the best seafood places around.” We were now merging onto the expressway. “Its over in Calabasas and it has this amazing view of the mountains.”

I lifted a brow. “A seafood place with a mountain view; that’s different.”

“I aim to be different.”

My eyes roamed over him, a small grin tugging at my lips. “Yes, I’m sure you do.”

~*~*~*~*~

The restaurant was splendid with plates of mouthwatering lobster, crab and calamari. It was nestled in a beautiful rustic setting and we had a private table outside on the patio, tucked away from the other customers like we were a special secret. From inside, the sounds of a live piano drifted out, the musician playing various classical and romantic tunes; notes that set the mood and soothed your soul. It was like a scene out of a movie for me as I took in the beautiful mountain view, the sky lit up with brilliant hues of orange, pink and purple as the sun set slowly on the horizon. The atmosphere was so comfortable and relaxing and immediately I was at ease, surrounded by lush foliage and the dim lighting from the lamps tucked in the corners of the patio.

We enjoyed our dinner, making small talk over the heaping plates of Lobster Linguini and Shrimp Scampi. A lot of conversation didn’t seem like a necessity and instead of feeling uncomfortable during the moments of silence, I felt soothed and untroubled. It was rather strange, but a part of me felt like I knew this man better than I truly did. It was as if there was some underlying connection between us and we both sensed it, but neither one needing to speak of it.

He waited until our plates were cleared away and we were sipping our newly refilled drinks before he touched on anything more than casual, getting to know you conversation.

“You look rather relaxed.”

I watched him over the flickering flame of the candle that sat in the middle of the table. “I feel relaxed.”

“It’s the lobster.”

I smiled. “And the company.”

“Ooh, was that a compliment?”

“Maybe.” I couldn’t stop the smile.

He returned it, reaching across the table and brushing his fingers over the palm of my hand. “So, when are you going to bring Daisy over to see Bernie? He misses her.”

I lifted a brow. “Really? She misses him too. It took her three days before she’d eat like she normally does.”

“We should set up a play date for them.”

I sipped my water. “Is Bernie up for that?”

My date tilted his head, mulling that over. “I think he’ll be okay. And I think seeing Daisy will make him feel better.”

“Then who are we to keep them apart?”

“My sentiments exactly.”

I giggled low. “Okay, how about Saturday? They can meet up on the beach and just relax in the sun.”

“Why wait that long? What are you doing tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow I have to work. “

“Friday?”

“Showing some houses.”

“Tonight?”

I tilted my head. “Well, in case you hadn’t noticed, there is no sun for them to relax in.”

“Damn, you’re right.” He sat back defeated in his chair. “Then how ‘bout just us?”

I chuckled low. “There isn’t any sun for us to relax in either.”

“You’re a funny one.” He watched me with amusement in his eyes.

I giggled low and shrugged, sipping my water again.

“I was meaning you and I should take a walk on the beach, tonight.”

I glanced around. “How far are we from the beach?”

“It’s just about five miles that way.” He motioned in a direction.

I glanced that way then looked back to him, debating it over in my head. Finally I gave a little nod. “Alright, sounds nice.”

“Great.” He flashed his grin then motioned for the server to bring the check. “Let’s get outta here.”