- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it took so long, but I think it's a good one. :)

 

The sand was still warm on my toes as we strolled along the beach. I carried my heeled sandals in one hand and held the skirt of my dress up with the other. Beside me, my date also meandered along barefoot. The sun had set completely while we had been eating and now the sky was left with that dim haze as the night set in. The lights from farther up towards the parking lot kept the area from being completely dark, but gray shadows were cast here and there. The moon was hidden behind some clouds and in the distance thunder rumbled.

“I think it’s going to rain.”

I glanced over towards the handsome man at my side. “You think so?”

“That was thunder.”

I kicked lightly at the water that was rushing over my toes. “Maybe it’ll pass by.”

“Maybe.” He reached and took my shoes from my hand, placing them with his and out of the way of the waves, then he laced our fingers together.

I glanced around the area, trying to ignore how my heartbeat had increased the minute he’d taken my hand. “There isn’t any driftwood around here is there?”

His laugh was calming. “I don’t think so. And I think we’ll make it back to the car before it gets too bad.”

“Good.” I gave a firm nod and glanced down to my skirt, lifting it a bit more as the water rushed around my ankles. “The water’s warm.”

“Yeah it is.” He glanced out to the dark ocean. “We should take a swim.”

The pulse in my neck was now throbbing. “I don’t have my suit.”

“Do you need one?” His eyes twinkled and I wasn’t sure if his tone was joking or if he was serious.

“Um…yes.”

He chuckled low and let the subject drop. “So, tell me more about yourself.”

I sent him a sideways glance, feeling a protective barrier starting to go up. There was only so much I was willing to share. “I have told you about myself.”

“Not much. Just what you’ve been willing to share over dinner.”

A shrug. “Well, what else is there to know?”

He stopped and the gentle pull on his hand stopped me as well. “There’s a lot to know. C’mere.” He led me further up from the water and sank down onto the dry sand, tugging me down next to him.

I dropped down beside him, smoothing my dress out.

Once we were settled, he leaned back on his elbows and stretched his legs out, watching me in the dim lighting from up the way. “How old are you?”

I curled my legs to the side, leaning into the sand on one hand. “You’re not supposed to ask a girl her age.”

“Humor me.”

“Twenty-six. You?”

“Thirty-one.” A pause. “Are you dating anyone?”

Again my pulse was beginning to race. “No. You?”

He shook his head. “Nope.”

I fiddled with the silver locket around my neck. “Why did you ask me to dinner?”

“I believe it was my turn to ask a question.” He gave me a small smirk.

“I didn’t realize we were taking turns.”

He chuckled low and sat up, brushing his hands together to remove any traces of sand. “Well, we are.”

“Well then, by all means.” I motioned towards him, giving the go ahead.

“Thank you.” He drew his legs up and rested his arms on his knees. “Why did you agree to go to dinner with me?”

“I don’t believe you gave me much choice.”

His warm laugh made another twinge appear in my chest. “I really didn’t. But aren’t you glad you came?”

I took a moment to ponder that question, glancing around at the still beach and thinking back over to the relaxing dinner and comfortable conversation. This was one of the few times I had felt so at peace with myself. “Yeah,” I spoke faintly, nodding my head and brushing at the skirt of my dress. “I think I am glad. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” He spoke softly in return then reached and brushed some hair from my cheek, his fingers lingering for just a moment.

Around us the air grew a bit warmer.

“So um…” I cleared my throat and tried to shake off the strange feeling that was trying to settle in my stomach. “I believe it’s my turn to ask you something.”

“I think you’re right.”

I studied him, pressing my lips together and trying to think up what I wanted to know. Then it hit me. “What is your name?”

He blinked then laughed lowly. “Alex.”

“Alex.” I echoed him, liking the way it rolled off my tongue. “I’m Morgan.”

“It’s very nice to meet you, Morgan.”

“Yeah,” I gave a nod, “likewise.”

“I think that after the play date on Saturday, you and I should do something again.”

It was weird, but I wasn’t against the idea. “Like what?”

He tilted his head and seemed to be thinking it over. “How adventurous are you?”

I lifted my brows. “Not very.”

“Really? You moved out here from the East Coast on your own. I’d say that’s pretty adventurous.”

“Maybe so, but not enough to go like…hang gliding or bungee jumping or something.”

He laughed. “That’s just crazy.”

I chuckled and gave a little nod. “Yeah, it really is.”

He nodded then reached and smoothed his fingers softly over my arm. “How ‘bout I just surprise you.”

I eyed him with a teasing expression. “I’m not jumping out of any airplanes either.”

“Deal.” He chuckled then traced his fingers down to my hand, taking it in his and smoothing his thumb across my palm.

I watched that simple action, feeling the electricity in the air and hearing more thunder in the distance.

He pulled my hand closer, tracing his fingertips over the soft skin of my palm and my breath caught in my throat.

“You have amazing skin.” The pad of his thumb was gently rubbing the inside of my wrist and tiny goosebumps were spreading up my arm.

“Th…thank you…” It was but a mere whisper.

He lifted my hand to his mouth, brushing his lips over my fingers and our eyes met, the electricity in the air now spreading through my chest.

“You have beautiful eyes, too; so clear and strikingly blue.”

A blush slowly crept up over my cheeks at his scrutiny and I barely managed out another thank you.

“But they seem so sad.” His lips were now gently cruising over my knuckles. “You have the weight of the world on your shoulders.”

I suddenly wanted to pull away and run, but I only accomplished in pulling my hand from his.

“You…don’t know anything about me.” It came out a lot more shaken then I wanted it to.

“I could if you’d let me.” He kept his distance, but his gaze never wavered.

I was struggling inside, the barrier around my heart trying to close around me a little more. “I don’t even know you.”

“I know.” He reached and scooped some sand into his hand, letting it fall between his fingers back to the earth. “But I know you feel the connection.”

“No.” I shook my head, tears threatening my vision. I had only felt the connection with one man, one, and he had been ripped away. I would never feel any sort of connection with another man ever again.

“Yes.” He brushed his hand on his pants then reached for mine, catching it before I could move it away. “Something is going on here, Morgan.”

“No…nothing is going on.” Inside I was trembling and it made my voice catch.

“You can’t hide from the truth.”

“I’m not hiding from anything!” I looked his way and our eyes met and for a moment I couldn’t breathe.

He watched me, his voice staying low and calm despite my outburst. “Life is full of ups and downs.” He was rubbing my hand in a soothing manner. “But every time you get knocked down, you have to get back up.”

“No…” It was a pleading tone. I wanted him to stop, to leave me alone. Hot tears stung my eyes and I tried to desperately blink them away. “You…know nothing about my life, nothing.”

“Maybe not, but I know about my own. I know what it’s like to fall down every single time you get back up. I know what it’s like to struggle to just get through the day. And believe me; I know about losing everything and wondering what is the point of even living.”

His words hit home and the tears finally slipped down my cheeks. “Wh…what did you do? How did you handle it?”

He kissed my palm then reached and smoothed his thumbs beneath my eyes, wiping the dampness away. “It’s all a part of learning to live. It hurts a lot along the way, and there are times you don’t think you’ll make it, but you take it one day at a time.”

I just shook my head, tearing my gaze from his and looking to my lap. “We’re practically strangers.”

“Hey,” he reached and tilted my chin up, forcing ours eyes to meet. “You were there when I needed someone. Let me do the same for you.”

“Why do you even care?”

“Because something in here,” he tapped his chest, “is telling me to.”

I had nothing to respond with so I broke our gaze and looked out over the rushing waves.

“Hey, c’mere.” He gently tugged me closer, smoothing his hand over my back in nothing but a comforting manner. “I think sometimes people are brought into our lives for specific reasons.”

I sighed and glanced back to him. “You… think you were brought into my life for a certain reason?”

“Maybe,” he gave a little shrug. “Or you were brought into mine for a reason.” His hand continued to sooth my back. “But there is something between us, Morgan. I know we both feel it.”

“It doesn’t matter if something is there.” I watched the water again. “Nothing is going to come of it.”

He was quiet for a moment, his fingers trailing up and brushing along the back of my neck. “I don’t think that’s something either one of us has a say in.”

A frown creased my forehead. “Of course we have a say in it, it’s our lives.”

“Not when fate plays a hand.”

“Fate?” I gave a scoffing laugh. “Do not talk to me about fate.”

He gave a little sigh and his fingers brushed the back of my neck again. “Fate’s dealt you a pretty bad hand, huh?”

I just stared at the rolling waves, the thunder sounding again in the distance. “You don’t even know.”

He responded with a chaste kiss to my bare shoulder. “Tell me who Morgan Weston is.”

The words spilled out on their own, as if I had no say in the matter. “Lost, alone…afraid, heartbroken, sad…angry.”

“Does anything make her smile?”

“Lilacs.”

“That’s it?”

I had to think, it’d been so long since I’ve had any genuine, happy moments. “Rainbows. She loves rainbows.”

“Lilacs and rainbows. That’s all?”

“Feeling young again.”

“What else.”

I thought back on the many memories of Hugh and things we did that brought laughter into my life. “Dancing barefoot in the grass, letting it tickle your toes.”

Beside me, Alex gave a warm smile of his own. “Come with me.” He rose to his feet and brushed his pants off before holding his hand to me.

I blinked and pulled from my reverie, glancing to him. “Where are we going?”

“You’ll see.” He helped me up then headed down the beach to collect our shoes.

I followed slowly behind, wondering what he had up his sleeve this time.

After making our way back to his vehicle, we brushed the sand from our feet and slipped our shoes back on, then we were on the road again. He wouldn’t tell me where he was going and so I watched out the window with curiosity until he had pulled into a deserted parking lot.

“What is this place?” I glanced around at the open area, noting a few picnic tables off in the distance.

“C’mon.” He ignored me and unbuckled, climbing out and coming around to my side. He helped me out and took my hand then together we headed towards the picnic tables.

A few tall lamp posts dotted the area giving off enough light to not feel like you were in the middle of a horror movie and, as we drew closer, I saw a couple tall slides and a swing set, a jungle gym with a wooden bridge and some monkey bars.

“You brought me to a playground?”

He gave me a cute grin. “Nothing beats being a kid again.”

I could only giggle. “Wow, I haven’t been to a playground since I was in middle school.”

“Ooh, she smiles.”

I blushed and gave another giggle. “So, that’s what you’re doing, huh?”

“Yes.” He led me towards the see-saws. “I think you’re much more beautiful when you smile. And it uses less muscles then a frown.”

I couldn’t stop grinning. It was silly, but it really touched me. He didn’t know me, didn’t know a thing about what I was dealing with and yet he was going out of his way to put some happiness back into my life.

I thought back to our beach conversation as he directed me to one end of the see-saw. He had pushed all my buttons, taken me past my comfort zone and practically stripped me bare and yet, here I was laughing as he climbed on the see-saw and pushed me into the air. I couldn’t explain it; there was something about this man that I couldn’t put my finger on. He was different and as much as I tried to ignore it, as much as I wanted to push it away and pretend it didn’t exist, I did feel the connection. Deep down it was there, hiding, waiting for the right moment. I could brush it aside, push it away, reject it, scorn it, shut my eyes and try to be oblivious, but it was there. And as much as I didn’t want it to be, I was fairly certain he felt just the opposite.


~*~*~*~*~

Two hours later we stood on my front porch, the glow from the porch light leaving a cozy feeling. I fiddled with the keys in my hand and he watched me, both his hands shoved into his pockets.

The playground had been an experience I would never forget. After the see-saw we’d gone down the slide then taken turns pushing each other on the swings. It was childish, but rewarding, and for those two hours I had forgotten about the heartache and pain I was going through. Time had stood still for me and it wasn’t until we were on our way back to my place that I felt the weight of the world settling in around me again. I hadn’t wanted it to end; I wanted to savor that happiness that had overcome me so I could remember it always. I forgot what it had felt like to be lighthearted and laugh. And I knew that I wanted it back. This man had given it to me and I wanted to keep it.

I think he could read it in my eyes because he brought a hand up and touched my cheek. “You’re welcome.”

I wet my bottom lip, having so many things I wanted to say, but nothing at the same time.

“Hey, it’s okay.” He brushed a stray tear from my cheek.

I just shook my head, more tears filling my eyes. I couldn’t explain why I was suddenly crying, but this pressure was in my chest and the tears just flowed.

“Hey, shh… it’s okay.” He pulled me into his embrace, wrapping his arms around me and holding me close.

The hot tears streamed from my eyes and I pressed my face into the cool fabric of his shirt, a muffled sob sounding as he held me tight to his chest.

I lost track of how long we remained that way. It was well after my last tears flowed and my shoulders stopped trembling.

Finally, he pulled his head back and peeked to me. “You okay?” He spoke low and his voice was filled with concern.

I gave a small hiccup and took a little breath, not wanting to feel the warmth of his embrace leave. “I…um…yeah.”

He gave a little nod and smoothed his hand over the back of my head then down over my back. “You sure?”

I suddenly felt embarrassed. “Yeah, I… I’m good.” I pulled from him and wiped at my cheeks. “I’m sorry, I don’t know what happened.”

He caught one of my hands and pulled it to his chest. “You don’t have anything to be sorry about.”

I couldn’t meet his gaze, I felt too foolish for falling to pieces in front of him. “Thank you for tonight. I had a good time.”

“I did too.”

I nodded and watched our hands.

“And we’re still on for Saturday.” He ducked his head and peeked to my face.

“Oh, yeah…” I had forgotten about Saturday. “We…can meet on the beach.”

“How’s ten?”

“In the morning?”

“Well, as I recall you telling me… there isn’t any sun in the night.”

I chuckled despite everything. “Ten is fine.”

“Alright.” He kissed my fingers, his lips lingering for a moment. “If you’re late, I’ll come find you.”

I laughed low again. “I know you will. I won’t be late.”

He gave that heart warming grin I’d come to find myself liking. “Good. Then you get some rest and I’ll see you on Saturday.” And with that he leaned in and brushed his lips over my cheek, my skin warming at the simple touch.

I echoed his goodnight then turned and unlocked my front door. He waited until I stepped inside before wishing me a good night once more. I smiled and returned the well wish then finally shut the door, leaving the porch light on so he could find his way back to his vehicle.

I slid my shoes off and dropped my purse on the end table before giving a sigh and leaning back against the door. Words were useless when it came to trying to describe my night. It was going to take me a day or two to think it over and figure out how I felt. He had definitely stirred something inside me, but I wasn’t sure what; or if it was a good or bad thing. Sometimes life changes came in big explosions and other times they came in soft whispers. I didn’t know rather this man was an explosion or a whisper and so I welcomed it with hesitance and caution. He called it learning to live again. I called it being scared to death.