- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much for all the feedback! You guys are great!

 

 

I awoke in the middle of the night to a sound. It was faint and I was surprised I even heard it. I sat up and strained my ears, waiting to see if it came again and if I should worry myself. Next to me, Daisy nuzzled my hand and I gently stroked her head, feeling the pulse in my throat speed up as it came again. I couldn’t even describe what it was but the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up. Daisy was clueless and as I quietly slipped from the bed I frowned at her, wondering what had happened to the sixth sense she was supposed to have.

She didn’t move from her spot and I pulled on my thigh-length, powder blue robe telling her to stay put, though I was sure she had no intentions of going anywhere. She didn’t even lift her head. Shaking my head at that, I carefully tiptoed for the door, peeking out and finding the hallway deserted. The sound had come from downstairs and as I edged myself out of the bedroom, it came once more.

I probably should have stayed in the bedroom and called the police, or at least taken a heavy lamp with me. But those thoughts didn’t even cross my mind and as I carefully descended the stairs, my heart pounding in my throat, I wished they had.

He had his back to me, but the familiar outline of his shoulders made my blood grow cold. His unruly blond hair looked like it had the last time I’d seen it and when his scent, a smell I knew inside and out, wafted into my nose… my head began to spin. I gripped the banister so tight my fingers grew white, probably matching the color of my complexion because I was sure the blood had drained from it. I didn’t move, I didn’t blink, I didn’t breathe.

When he turned to face me, my heart dropped to my toes and my knees grew weak. I wanted to scream, to turn and run up the stairs and lock myself in the bedroom. But I couldn’t move; my body felt frozen in place and I could only stare, feeling chill after chill race through me.

“Morgan.”

The sound of his voice brought me to my knees.

“It’s been awhile.”

Tears welled into my eyes and I shook my head, not being able to force out the scream that was building in my chest.

“I’ve missed you.”

His voice, the way he spoke, made my insides ache, but when he took a step towards me I felt fear grip my body.

“I’m not going to hurt you. I can’t hurt you.” He stopped in front of me and crouched to meet my tear filled gaze. “I could never hurt you.”

My cheeks were damp and my heart hurt so badly suddenly. I wanted to grab to him and hold on, to cling to him and beg him not to leave; to never leave me again. But I knew if I reached out, he’d disappear or my fingers would move right through him.

“Oh Morgan…” his tone was full of sorrow. “Don’t cry, please, baby.” His fingers brushed my cheek and this little jolt moved through me.

I shook my head, not able to find my voice.

“I’m right here, baby.” His hand moved down and he placed his palm over my chest, right over my heart.

The warmth that filled me was unexplainable. It soothed through my veins and I could relax, a sob finally escaping around the lump in my throat.

“I… I… I’m so s…sorry…” I blubbered out.

“For what?” Those emerald eyes were so full of love and I wanted to throw myself into his arms.

“E…e…everything….”

“No.” He laced his fingers through mine. “Don’t apologize for living your life.”

I shook my head, feeling my heart breaking all over again. “I… I’m not…li…living… I ..can’t.”

“Yes you can.” He drew my knuckles to his mouth, brushing his lips so barely over them. “I want you to.”

“N…no..” I could barely manage it out between my sobs.

“Yes, Morgan.” He gave my hand a squeeze, his warmth filling me completely. “I want you to be happy.”

I felt broken. “I…I can’t…”

“You can.” He released me and a cold chill ran down my spine.

“No!” I grabbed for him but he was suddenly out of my reach.

“Go be happy.”

I shook my head, my shoulders racking with sobs.

“Live your life.”

I tried to stand, pulling myself up with the banister. “D…don’t go…” All the warmth was slowly trickling out and I didn’t want to be left with icy chills.

He seemed to be fading away, his voice echoing. “You’re still here. Don’t pretend you’re not.”

I took a step, giving a strangled ‘No’ as he began to dissipate.

“Live, Morgan.” His words filled my ears and I crumbled to the ground, my head in my hands, more tears taking over.

He was gone. And I was cold again.

The tears on my cheeks woke me. I reached a hand up and wiped at them but they continued to flow from my eyes. Slowly, I sat up and grabbed tissues from my nightstand, wiping the dampness away. The dream had been so real, so vivid and emotional. I wondered for half a second if it really had happened. Then I remembered I didn’t believe in ghosts.

Daisy chose that moment to stick her head in my face and lick at my cheeks.

I frowned and pushed her away. “Daisy, down.”

She obliged, but not before giving a small whine of protest.

I sighed and cleared my throat, staring at the bawled tissues in my hand. Had that really been a dream? It felt too realistic to be one … but dead people did not just appear in your house. What else could it have been? Maybe I was losing my mind.

With a heavy sigh, I settled down more into the bed, gently rubbing Daisy’s head as she curled up beside me. The whole thing had left me rather troubled and I didn’t know if I could go back to sleep. I was afraid I’d be greeted with images of Hugh’s face, feel his warmth and smell his aftershave. Seeing him like that, hearing him tell me to move on …it shook me to my core and I was left feeling more alone then I ever had before. Suddenly I wanted nothing more than daylight.

~*~*~*~*~

The bell echoed on the other side of the door, filling the house with its melodious chimes. I glanced around and waited, watching the drizzling rain. It was going to be one of those days; the kind where you just wanted to curl up on the sofa with a good book, or sleep the day away. I, however, was not sleeping anytime soon. I probably did not sleep more than a couple hours after the haunting dream. Every time I closed my eyes, Hugh’s face would be right there. I finally abandoned the bed at 7am. Now three cups of coffee and a hot shower later I was standing on Dianna’s doorstep, hoping she was home.

“Morgan?”

My friend’s voice broke through my thoughts and I turned to face her.

Her eyes widened as she took in my disheveled appearance and the bags under my eyes. “What’s wrong? Come in.” She quickly ushered me inside and closed the door, touching my arm through the long sleeve shirt I wore. “You’re freezing. Here, come into the living room.”

I allowed her to lead me over to the oversized couch and sank down.

She pulled a red fleece blanket from the back and wrapped it around me securely. “Are you sick?”

“No…” I shivered and huddled beneath the cover.

“Then what’s wrong? What happened? You look like you haven’t slept a wink.”

“I haven’t.”

“Why not?” She pressed the back of her hand to my forehead to feel for a fever.

“I had another dream.”

Dianna’s dark eyes looked into my clear ones. “And it kept you up all night?”

“Yeah.”

“For Pete’s sake.” Finally she settled herself down next to me. “Tell me what they’re about, Morgan.”

I wiped my hands over my face, rubbing my bleary eyes. “This was a new one.”

“Another one?”

“Yeah…” I tucked my arms back under the blanket. “… And … I’m scared, Dianna.”

Her expression softened. “Scared of what, hon?”

Of Hugh appearing in my living room. That sounded like crazy talk. “I .. I don’t know.”

She reached over and rubbed my arm in the same way a mother would her child’s. “What happened in your dream?”

I studied the intricate patterns on the blanket. “I … saw Hugh.” His name caused a lump to form in my throat.

“In your dream?”

I nodded.

“Well, what’s so horrible about that?”

“It’s… I…” I sighed and pushed some hair from my face. “He… was in my house. It felt so real.” Tears dotted my eyes.

“Some dreams can feel like that.”

“Do… you think … it was really him?”

Her brows lifted. “Like… a vision?”

I nodded and she blew a puff of air between her lips.

“That’s quite possible. People have experienced those before.”

I turned my eyes to her, looking as lost as I felt. “Do you think that was what it was?”

“Well, what did he tell you?”

“To…. keep living. He told me not to pretend I wasn’t alive.”

“Maybe.” She tucked the blanket a little tighter around me. “Or maybe that was your subconscious talking to you.”

“In the other one… someone is after me.”

Her brows furrow. “Who?”

My slender shoulders shrugged beneath the fleece cover. “I dunno … I never see them. But I know they’re horrible; the most absolute evil. And they want to kill me.”

“What happens?” She gently urged me on.

“They…catch me and ….choke me. And I always wake up just before I die.” I looked up from the blanket. “A couple weeks ago I started fighting back.”

“You never did before?”

“No.”

I could feel her eyes studying me and she’s quiet for a long moment. Normally her scrutiny would bother me, but I’m just so exhausted physically and mentally I don’t care.

Finally she shifted and tucked one leg up under her before speaking. “Dreams are a way our subconscious communicates with us. Maybe you’re more ready to start living again than you realize. I do think you want to be happy again.”

“I want Hugh.”

“A part of you will always want him. But you won’t always need him.”

I decided to change the subject. “Do you believe in angels?”

“Like, heavenly hosts from above?”

“Right.”

“Absolutely.”

“Can humans see them?”

Dianna tilted her head. “Only if they want us to.”

“Do they have tattoos?”

Her brow creased. “What?”

I sighed and shifted under the blanket. “Remember that guy I told you about…the one who called the doctor for me when I hit my head?”

She nodded and I continued.

“He has tattoos on his hands.” A shrug. “Well, he may have them in other places but I couldn’t tell.”

“You think he’s an angel?”

I hesitated, mulling that over in my head. “If I believed in them, I would. He was out in a raging storm just as I was being rendered unconscious.”

“Oh my God, you were knocked out?” She sat up and gaped at me.

Oops. I forgot I hadn’t told her that little part. “Maybe just a little.”

“Just a little? Morgan!” Her dark eyes flashed.

“Okay, so a lot. He saw me go down and then Daisy led him to my place. He put me in bed, called the doctor and gave me some Tylenol. Then he left.”

“He left you?! With a concussion?!” She looked rather upset.

“Only when I promised to call someone.”

I think she wanted to shake me, or smack me. “But you didn’t.”

“No….” I sighed and reached a hand up, rubbing my forehead. “Look, what’s done is done.”

“I know that.”

I looked her way and met her gaze. “I’m sorry I didn’t call you. But I’m okay.”

“Yeah…” She studied me a moment. “So what makes you think he’s an angel?”

I wasn’t going to argue the semantics. “Well… if I believed in them, it’d probably be because…he always has this way of appearing, at the oddest times.”

“You’ve seen him before?” She sounded incredulous.

“Just once. Then he called me yesterday at work.”

“Who is he?”

I could only shake my head. “I have no idea. I wasn’t even going to tell you about him because the whole thing is just…so strange. I don’t even know what to make of it.”

I could tell Dianna was baffled. “And you don’t know his name?”

“No,” I looked her way again. “I never think to ask it until he’s gone. He just…” I searched for the words. “…appears. And then he’s gone.”

“Well,” she shrugged a little. “Maybe he is your angel.”

I made a little face. “They don’t exist.”

My friend reached over and rubbed my arm. “Just because you don’t think something exists doesn’t mean it’s not really there.”

I peeked my eyes her way, scowling a little bit at her statement. “Maybe I don’t want it to exist.”

“Maybe you’re just afraid to let it.”

That struck a chord and I was back to studying the patterns splashed across the blanket.