- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm on the ball today! Thanks for all the feedback and hope you enjoy! :)

Las Vegas was a lot more fun than I expected. We played the usual casino games; the slots, blackjack, poker, roulette and craps. Alex won more money than I did and when I started losing more than I started with, I put a stop to my gambling. He walked away pretty successful, especially after a nice game of poker that only sweetened his winnings.

We managed to take in a show or two as well. I’d never seen Blue Man Group so he took me there the first night we were in the city. The following night we did a city lights tour in an airplane high over the Vegas strip and then proceeded to spend the rest of the night trying to win some money.

It’s true what they say about never sleeping in Vegas, because I don’t think we did. It was one thing after another and then another. There was just too much to see and do and the four days we were there wasn’t nearly enough to fit it all in. Alex promised we’d come back as soon as we could and I was satisfied enough with that response to let him pack up our things so we could head out.

Once we’d returned to LA, it was back into our routine. I would head to the office and Alex actually began his own work at a studio downtown, working on writing and recording the newest Backstreet Boys album. I had yet to meet his band mates, but he told me as soon as I was free one afternoon to head on down and he’d introduce us. He said they were jonesing to meet the girl that had tamed AJ McLean, which made me nervous yet excited at the same time. What if they didn’t like me?

Unfortunately, once I was back to work, I was swamped making up all the work I had missed and wasn’t able to get down to the studio. The first four days I even had to work through my lunch hour. It wasn’t fun in the least, but I sealed three deals on homes and acquired quite a few new clients.

The first two weeks kept the both of us busy and it wasn’t until the end of July, the evening of the 23rd, to be exact, that I got to see Dianna. She’d been feeling really ill during the day so Manny had kept her tucked away in bed and by the time I’d drag myself home, she was asleep. This pregnancy was proving to be pretty tough on my friend.

But that Friday, she burst into my house, after I’d been home not even ten minutes, with eyes so big I thought they were going to slip right out of their sockets.

“Dianna, what’s wrong?” I was standing at the counter in the kitchen looking through my mail.

“Oh my God, Morgan, the Lord is trying to kill me!”

I blinked slowly. “What’s going on?”

She shook her head, her curly hair bobbing all over the place. “I’m in hell!”

“What are you talking about?” I lowered the mail in my hand to the counter and turned to face her fully.

“I’m talking about this baby,” she waved her hand in the vicinity of her abdomen, “or should I say…babies, as in two, dos…twins!”

This time my eyes nearly fell out of their sockets. “Twins?”

“Yes!” She nodded her head in fervor. “We’re having twins!”

I stared at her in shock for a long second then laughed. “Twins? Oh my gosh, Dianna, that’s great!” Moving to my friend, I wrapped her in a tight hug.

“What do you mean it’s great?” She managed to question as I squeezed her tight. “That’s two babies, Morgan, in case you hadn’t noticed. I don’t know how I’m going to handle one…how the hell am I supposed to deal with two?”

I released her and stepped back, smoothing my blouse some. “You’re going to be just fine. Manny will help and you know I’ll do what I can. You’re freaking out now, but once those babies arrive you’re going to be so in love you won’t even care that they set each other off with their crying and one will sleep the other will wake then that one will sleep and the first will wake.”

“Would you shut up, you are not helping.”

I giggled. “Relax; I’m just messing with you. You’re going to be okay, Dianna. It’s not the end of the world. That’s exciting news and I’d be overjoyed if it were me.”

“Then you have these babies then. You push two watermelons out of something the size of your nostrils one right after the other.”

I knew I couldn’t feed into her panic. “Women have been having babies since the beginning of time. I think once you’re holding those precious children you won’t even remember the labor pains.”

“What is with your Pollyanna attitude?” She pulled out a chair and plunked herself down at the kitchen table.

I shrugged and took a Capri Sun pouch from the fridge, tossing her one then joining her at the table. “I’m in a really good place in my life. You’re not used to this Morgan because for the last nearly two years, you’ve known the depressed and sad me. I’m not that me anymore.”

“I know and I think it’s great.” She nudged my leg with hers in a friendly manner. “I’m just freaking out right now. We had the doctor’s appointment today and I nearly passed out on the table. I think Manny had a mini stroke.”

I chuckled. “Poor Manny, how’d he take the news?”

“Well, after the initial shock wore off, he was pretty excited. He’s hoping for once of each.”

“How ‘bout you?”

“Two boys. Girls are too much drama and maintenance.”

I giggled low. “Maybe you’ll have identical boys; how freaken cute would that be?”

“Cute until they learned the switcharoo game and started pulling pranks.”

“Something tells me you’d know right off the bat and you’re gonna be the kind of mom that doesn’t take any crap.”

“Damn straight.” She sighed and sipped some juice from the pouch.

I studied her a moment. “So, when are you due?”

“February 15th. I’m in the middle of my tenth week.”

“Already?”

“Can you believe it? And I even have a baby bump.” She set her drink down and pulled her shirt tight against her stomach, revealing a small bump in her lower abdomen. “I’m going to get so fat.”

“My gosh, Dianna,” I giggled low, “that is so cute!”

“You think that’s cute? You get one and we’ll talk about it.”

I made a face. “Now is not the time for me to be having a baby.”

“Oh sure it is,” she took up her Capri Sun pouch once more, “you could have one of mine. I’ve got two.”

“Would you stop trying to give your babies away. What you have is a blessing and you should be so lucky to have children. There are so many women out there that aren’t able to.”

“I know.” She sighed and slouched in her seat. “I just wasn’t expecting this and I would have been perfectly fine had this not happened.”

“But it did.” I reached across the table and squeezed her arm. “You’re going to have two beautiful children and there is a reason for that.”

She tilted her head. “You think so?”

“I know so. Why else would God do that to you?”

“Cuz he hates me.” She chuckled low. “I should have gone to church more.”

I shook my head some. “He doesn’t hate you. And I’m so excited for you. Just wait until I start shopping.”

“Ooh no,” her eyes widened, “you are going to be terrible.”

“Those little babies are going to be so spoiled by their Aunt Morgan.”

“And then I get to deal with them after their Aunt Morgan spoils ‘em rotten.”

I smirked. “That’s the way it always goes.”

“Yeah, yeah,” she eyed me playfully, “you just wait until you have your own. Then we’ll talk.”

~*~*~*~*~

“Are you nervous?” Alex looked to me as he pulled into the parking spot at the recording studio in downtown LA and put the SUV into park.

I was going to get to meet the rest of his band mates today. They were meeting up to do some more studio work and lay another track or two and I’d been lucky enough to have the day off. So I was going to join them. Alex had assured me that I wouldn’t be bored, a few of the wives were going to be there, but I wasn’t worried about being bored. I was worried about not fitting in.

I took a little breath and tried not to let too much of my nerves show. Truth be told, I was freaking out inside. But I didn’t want anyone to know. “I’m doing okay.”

His dark eyes roamed over me. “You’re lying.”

“Maybe just stretching the truth a little.”

Alex chuckled low. “You’re gonna do great, baby.” He reached over and took my hand in his. “You’ll love the guys and they’re going to love you. They already do with all the wonderful things I’ve filled their head with.”

“Are you sure? You’re not just saying that?”

“Of course not.” He kissed my palm. “They know how sweet you are and how you’re keeping me in line and they’ve seen the changes in me and they already want to exalt you.”

That made me smile. “That helps some.”

“Good.” He pressed his lips to the back of my hand and wiggled his brows at me.

I giggled. “Okay, are we going to sit here all day or are we gonna go inside?”

“Oh, we’re going, I just wanted to admire you for a minute.” He leaned over and kissed my lips softly then unbuckled and slipped from the vehicle. Moving around to my side, Alex opened my door then helped me out and together we headed into the building.

We found his band mates in a large room with a round table and a green sofa. A couple vending machines stood in the corner and a refrigerator and sink were against the opposite wall. It didn’t look anything like a recording studio to me, but what did I know.

“There you are!” A tall, blond man exclaimed as Alex led me into the room.

“You’re late,” a shorter Hispanic man added from his place in a brown, plastic chair.

Alex shrugged in a casual manner. “So sue me.” Then he drew me closer to his side. “Guys, this is Morgan. Morgan, these are the guys.” He motioned to them as he introduced each one, “Nick, Howie and that’s Brian.”

Brian was eating some Fritos when my boyfriend introduced him and he shoved them into his mouth and wiped his hand on his shirt before extending it to me. “It’s nice to finally meet you.”

I sent him a nervous smile and took his hand. “It’s good to meet you too.”

“Alex talks about you a lot,” Howie interjected once Brian released my hand and he took it in his.

“Yeah, we don’t get much work done because he won’t stop ‘Morgan this’ or ‘Morgan that’.

I looked over to Nick and felt a blush creep over my cheeks. “I’m sorry.”

“Oh, don’t apologize,” he smirked at his friend then sauntered over and shook my hand as well, “it slows us down but we’re glad to see him happy.”

“We really are.” Brian patted him firmly on the back. “Now, if we could just get his head in the game and not up in the clouds, then we’ll really be happy.”

Alex shrugged the shorter man off and chuckled. “Shut up, bro, we’re getting work done.”

Nick shook his head. “No, don’t you mean; his head in the game and not up Morgan’s skirt?”

My eyes stretched and my entire face flushed.

My boyfriend shoved the blond in the chest. “Shut your trap before I do it for you.”

Nick laughed. “You know I’m just messin’.” Casting his eyes to me, he smoothed the blue polo he wore. “We like to mess around with each other.”

I cleared my throat some. “Um, yeah, I see that.”

Alex shook his head then joined me again. “Where’s the women?”

“Leigh is out showing off her new ride,” Howie explained.

My boyfriend arched his brows. “I didn’t see them outside.”

“That’s because she insisted we park blocks away so no one would put a scratch in her new baby.”

Alex laughed and I chuckled.

Brian tossed his empty Fritos bag into the trash. “They’ll be back in a few. We thought we’d lay down the song we finished last week first then work on a few more. Nick said he has a new one he wants us to look over.”

“Sounds good to me.” He smoothed his hand over my back. “You gonna be okay for awhile, babe?”

“Of course, don’t worry about me,” I motioned toward the messenger bag at my side, “I brought enough work to keep me busy.”

He flashed his charming grin. “Don’t get too distracted with that, I want you to see me doing what I do best.”

I thought now probably wasn’t the time for an inappropriate comment, at least not in my first meeting with his pals. “I won’t.” Luckily though, someone else brought it up for me.

“I doubt that’s what she thinks you do best,” Nick shot our way as he grabbed a bottled water from the fridge then leaned against the wall and opened the cap.

I couldn’t help the laugh and put my face into Alex’s shoulder.

He laughed as well then flicked his friend off. “I’m well aware of what she thinks I do best and she’s very right. I just didn’t think now was the right time to be bringing that up. I’m trying not to embarrass my woman.”

Nick smirked. “That’s why I’m doing it for you.”

“You’re going to find yourself in some deep shit in a minute, bro.”

Brian cleared his throat. “How ‘bout we get started? I’m hoping to get out of here before nine tonight.”

“I hear ya,” Howie agreed, retrieving his own water from the fridge and tossing Brian a bottle.

Alex nodded then took my hand and led me over to the sofa. “Okay, we’re gonna go on into the studio. You can come watch or stay in here. After we’re done with that, we’ll be back in here to work on some new lyrics. You can help yourself to the food and drinks and the bathroom is right across the hall.”

I grinned. “Stay in here? Are you kidding? I want to see you work.”

He couldn’t contain his grin. “I was hoping you’d say that.”

“Of course.” I slipped my bag from my shoulder and set it between the arm of the couch and the wall, then I took his hand again. “Lead the way, love.”

He kissed my knuckles then we followed the others from the room and down the hall into a recording room.

This time I was convinced we were definitely in a recording studio. One half of the room was the booth with the large glass panes up to block the sound from getting in or out. Two microphones extended down from the ceiling and four stools were waiting for use. The other half of the room was the sound board which I couldn’t even begin to understand, there were so many knobs and buttons and lights and switches. Two men sat before it with headphones around their necks and looking right in place like they belonged there. A sofa and a few chairs adorned the side wall for visitors or others to observe the recording session and a small table covered with papers sat halfway between the board and the lounge area.

“This is amazing.”

Alex smirked my way. “It’s something else, isn’t it?”

I nodded and took it all in. “It really is. It’s nearly overwhelming.”

“Aww,” he chuckled and kissed my shoulder, “just wait until we get started. Then you’ll be completely awed and amazed.”

I giggled and squeezed his hand with both of mine. “I’m excited.”

“Good.” He kissed my lips again then looked to the doorway as two women sauntered in; one blonde and one brunette. “Here come the wives now.”

I pulled back and Alex introduced me to Leighanne, Brian’s wife, and Leigh, Howie’s wife. Both women took my hand and echoed the men’s responses with it being about time Alex introduced us. Leighanne joked that she was beginning to think I was fictional.

I chuckled and stated that I was very real and glad that we were finally meeting. Alex left us to make small talk and joined the rest of the men in the booth. Leigh motioned to the sofa and we took some seats, turning our attention away from each other to focus on the men as the guys running the boards gave them some instructions then flipped the music on.

When the guys, now all four donned with headphones, began to sing, I think my heart stilled. Their harmonies were absolutely beautiful and sitting there watching as their voices blended in the perfect way made goosebumps spread down my arms. I stared in amazement, my eyes were glued to my boyfriend and everything around us seemed to fade away as his voice and the power of it pulled me under.

“They’re something else, aren’t they?”

I glanced beside me to Leigh and nodded. “They really are. It gives me chills.”

She smiled. “Me too still, and I’ve been hearing it for years and years.”

I glanced back to them and felt myself melt when our eyes met and he smiled. “I haven’t really heard him sing before. At least, not like this.”

“You’re in for a real treat.”

“Were you a fan?” Leighanne questioned from my other side.

“Not really, but I used to listen to them in high school. I actually had no idea who Alex was when we first met. He had to tell me about all of this later on in our relationship,” I explained, never taking my eyes off my boyfriend.

Leigh chuckled. “I bet that was a shock.”

“A little bit, but all of his fame hasn’t really affected us. I stay away from the internet, unless it’s for work and we haven’t had to deal with any crazy fans yet. I didn’t see my first fan encounter with him until we were in Vegas.”

“You’re a smart girl,” Leighanne looked impressed, “but just wait until the album drops and they hit the road. Then the crazies are going to come out.”

“Especially if you tour with them,” Leigh added.

I tore my eyes away from Alex and looked between the two women. “When will they be touring?”

Leighanne pushed some long hair behind her shoulder. “They’re still in the early stages of the whole process, so it probably won’t be until next summer.”

“Though the promotion touring will start a little before the album comes out.”

“Promotional tour?”

Leigh nodded. “They travel around doing radio interviews and television appearances to kind of get some support for their album. Get the word out, so to say.”

“Though the promo tour is a lot of going back and forth whereas the official tour is them on the road all the time.”

I felt like I was at a tennis match as my head turned side to side to see each woman when they spoke. They sure knew a lot about this stuff, which I was glad for because I was clueless. Alex hadn’t done a really good job in preparing me for everything and I was trying to make mental notes on things I wanted to ask him about later.

“When will the album come out?”

Leigh looked away from her husband and met my gaze. “Springtime, unless they really get on the ball and are able to have the album complete by New Years; then it’ll be winter.”

“Alex hasn’t talked to you about all this?” Leighanne questioned.

“Not really. He’s told me that they’ll be touring and about the album somewhat, but I don’t know much more than that. I don’t even know what touring is like.”

“Well,” the blonde sucked in a breath, “that depends on who you are, what’s going on when the tour starts and how your relationship is.”

“It also depends on how long the tour is,” Leigh added. “Oh, and how many breaks they get.”

My head was starting to swim. “How long is their tour going to be?”

Both women shrugged. “They haven’t gotten that far yet,” Leighanne answered. “They usually sit down and discuss the tour once the album is nearly complete.”

“Oh.”

“So don’t start getting yourself worked up or worried.”

I glanced to my boyfriend when I heard the singing stop and saw them hunched over one of the music stands that held the sheet music. Turning back to Leighanne, I tucked some of my own blonde hair behind my ear. “What is there to get worried about?”

The two women exchanged glances and Leigh shook her head ever so slightly at Leighanne.

My brows drew together at that. “What?”

The brunette put her hand on my arm. “Just the normal ‘being separated from the man you love’ stuff. But we know nothing about the tour, so it’s pointless to think about that kind of stuff this early.”

“Oh,” I nodded some, “that makes sense.” Though I had a sneaky suspicion there was more to it than that. Hopefully, I would remember all this to bring it up to my boyfriend. There was a lot I had no idea about and I wanted to make sure I was fully prepared for whatever was to come our way. Touring, recording, promotional touring; it sounded like a lot and I hoped I could handle it all. My life had never been easy and I didn’t think it was going to start being that way now.