Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Poll

Chances Are you've seen the movie, but have you read the book?

The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- 2 (18.2%)
Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding
- 3 (27.3%)
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
- 1 (9.1%)
The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
- 0 (0%)
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
- 0 (0%)
The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller
- 1 (9.1%)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
- 4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: May Book Poll  (Read 5687 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
Re: May Book Poll
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2009, 09:37:10 PM »

lol Mare. That's ok since Twilight was kind of the first unofficial book of the month. I believe it was all the discussion about that book that sparked this lovely club.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2009, 10:27:39 PM »

lol Mare. That's ok since Twilight was kind of the first unofficial book of the month. I believe it was all the discussion about that book that sparked this lovely club.

oh thank god.  I cannot bring myself to read that one.  I caught about 40 minutes of the movie while I dozed on and off the other day... and granted I was pretty drugged up on anesthesia, I thought it was d.u.m.b.  :crazy:
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2009, 11:05:41 PM »

Ok, I'm the hugest fan of the Twilight books, (though I can also admit to their plenty flaws.) but the movie... how can I put it... sucked ass. At least the HP movies were well made.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2009, 10:32:38 AM »

AH, I forgot about the Twilight talk. I should bring back that thread just so I can further rant about my hatred! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2009, 04:17:36 PM »

Julie I love how passionate you are about HP. I always pictured us discussing this book in a you hosted month. lol

LOL I know, I'm obsessed.  Second to Bsb, HP is probably the entertainment-related thing I'm most passionate about.  I was definitely considering making it an option for my month, but I'm really excited we're reading it next month!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2009, 06:17:46 PM »

I can't believe I'm going to make myself try HP again LOL. I said never again after trying the book once, and then the movie. But there has to be something good about it if everyone loves it so much. And I liked Twilight...

I'm still sorta kicking myself for voting HP lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2009, 06:29:26 PM »

Yay Rose!

Sorcerer's Stone has been in print for like twelve years now, so it's definitely past the bandwagon phase by now, yet people are still talking about it, still obsessed with it... it's definitely something special!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2009, 06:39:07 PM »

And if it's acted out by hamburgers it won't have more depth than some other hambuger acted out movies which shall remain nameless! lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2009, 08:32:18 PM »

My vote would def. go to Harry Potter.  I absolutely love the series.  I've read the books multiple times.  I listen to the books on my ipod at work, and the movies are great, too.

J.K. Rowling is an amazing writer.  The intricate plot line is...  You don't realize it at first, with book one and two.  Those are fun books, but it was book three where I went, "Wow."  When you realize someone mentioned in passing on page book one page one becomes important; when you realize how many seemingly minute details there are that are essential to the plot line. 

Also, she's written the characters so well that they become real to you.  Too often, writers use plot to push character.  It's supposed to be the other way around: character drives the plot.  She does that remarkably well, and I can't say enough about this series.   ;D

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2009, 09:05:42 PM »

Yes!!  Book 3 is definitely where it makes the jump from "fun, magical children's series" to "deep, brilliant fantasy epic."  Or starts to, at least... there's so many more layers even beyond that, it's amazing.

And so true about the characters.  I can honestly say I pretty much love every one of them, even the villains, even the annoying ones, because they are all so quirky and interesting, there's something to love about every one, even the ones you love to hate.  I've never been able to pick a favorite character; it's just too hard!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »

LOL the Harry Potter talk is making me want to abandon Cell and jump right back into HP this very minute!  And I'm enjoying Cell too, and want to finish (and am going to, don't worry!), but I adore Harry so much, I could read the series over and over again and never tire of it!  I basically have, for seven years now LOL.
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2009, 09:14:43 PM »

lol well we'll jump right into it next month then, how's that?  I am actually going to be internetless for an eternity (ok a week) starting Friday, because of the move, so I won't be back online until about the 6th or 7th... So how about when I get back I'll have my first question ready and the discussion can commence? I'm assuming it won't matter to start talking about it early on because most have read it, and those of us who haven't have most likely seen the movie or at least know enough about it that not much will be spoiled...

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2009, 10:14:01 PM »

lol well we'll jump right into it next month then, how's that?  I am actually going to be internetless for an eternity (ok a week) starting Friday, because of the move, so I won't be back online until about the 6th or 7th... So how about when I get back I'll have my first question ready and the discussion can commence? I'm assuming it won't matter to start talking about it early on because most have read it, and those of us who haven't have most likely seen the movie or at least know enough about it that not much will be spoiled...

You mean like that part where Harry Potter turns out to be a wizard!?  Cause boy howdy I did NOT see that one coming!!!  :P ;)
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2009, 10:24:50 PM »

LOL!

That sounds good, Kelly.  Hopefully I will have time to sit down and finish Cell by then anyway!
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2009, 10:29:56 PM »

lol Rachel. And yes, Julie, you should finish Cell!  And I need to use my disconnected time to finish the two books I have right now. My first Earnest Hemmingway book and I'm in the middle of this cute little one about a world where people have fairies, and this girl doesn't like her fairy so she's trying to ditch it. LOL my reading choices are as ADD as my writing preferences.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6