Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Poll

Chances Are you've seen the movie, but have you read the book?

The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- 2 (18.2%)
Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding
- 3 (27.3%)
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
- 1 (9.1%)
The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
- 0 (0%)
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
- 0 (0%)
The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller
- 1 (9.1%)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
- 4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: May Book Poll  (Read 5672 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: May Book Poll
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »

LOL funny!  I was in that phase back when we were reading My Sister's Keeper, and I was reading like two or three other books at the same time.  I finished two and put the other one aside for now to read Cell, and I probably won't come back to it until after my impending Harry Potter phase revival.  I never did finish re-reading Twilight either... I started re-reading it right after the movie came out, and I plowed through it up until when James, Victoria, and Laurent come in, and then I got bored and moved on to something else LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2009, 09:15:01 PM »

Yes!!  Book 3 is definitely where it makes the jump from "fun, magical children's series" to "deep, brilliant fantasy epic."  Or starts to, at least... there's so many more layers even beyond that, it's amazing.

And so true about the characters.  I can honestly say I pretty much love every one of them, even the villains, even the annoying ones, because they are all so quirky and interesting, there's something to love about every one, even the ones you love to hate.  I've never been able to pick a favorite character; it's just too hard!

I know what you mean about the characters and the "love to hate them"-  I love to hate Dolores Umbridge.  I despise her.  Whenever I read book 5, I get so angry at certain parts, like the detention and her "special quill"   >:(  She surpasses Voldemort for me! 

;D

Yes, the layers in the series... The fact that she could keep up with such an epic ongoing storyline, with so many twists and turns is truly superb writing.  I know J.K. Rowling is richer than the queen and never "has" to write again, but I hope she does.  I know nothing will ever beat Harry Potter, but I'd love to see what other storylines she's capable of putting on paper. 

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »

You mean like that part where Harry Potter turns out to be a wizard!?  Cause boy howdy I did NOT see that one coming!!!  :P ;)

Shh.... don't ruin it for everyone! 

:D

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2009, 09:46:43 PM »

I know what you mean about the characters and the "love to hate them"-  I love to hate Dolores Umbridge.  I despise her.  Whenever I read book 5, I get so angry at certain parts, like the detention and her "special quill"   >:(  She surpasses Voldemort for me! 

;D

Yes, the layers in the series... The fact that she could keep up with such an epic ongoing storyline, with so many twists and turns is truly superb writing.  I know J.K. Rowling is richer than the queen and never "has" to write again, but I hope she does.  I know nothing will ever beat Harry Potter, but I'd love to see what other storylines she's capable of putting on paper. 

I'm totally with you!  I think Umbridge is actually my favorite villain... she's like the quirkiest of them all.  The spying kitten plates and her quill take the cake!  And her "Hem hem."  LMFAO  She's the best part of the fifth movie for sure.

I can't wait to see what JKR comes up with next.  HP is a tough act to follow... and I still kind of just wish she'd write a prequel Marauder series... but I'll totally read whatever she does end up writing next.  She's absolutely brilliant.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2009, 09:47:46 PM »

lmao you're already discussing this and we haven't even strated reading it yet.

So, Harry is a Wizard then? Does he take Dorothy back home to Kansas at some point? lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2009, 12:31:11 AM »

So, Harry is a Wizard then? Does he take Dorothy back home to Kansas at some point? lol

No... but I do vaguely recall reading something about him sharting out an epic "yellow brick load."  So there is that  ;D
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2009, 06:35:45 AM »

Hey, it's May now!  LOL
~Julie

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2009, 08:49:55 PM »

Hey, it's May now!  LOL

Yay!  Let the... official discussion begin!  :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »

LMAO I know right?

Some of us haven't gotten the book yet! lol
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2009, 10:10:44 AM »

LMAO I know right?

Some of us haven't gotten the book yet! lol

lol... and some of us finished reading it 10 years ago  ;) 

j/k -- I'm on book three now in my quest to reread them all before the movie comes out in June, so TSS is still fresh in my mind!
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2009, 11:33:08 PM »

Hey SOME of us never joined the Harry Potter bandwagon LOL.

Though I have to admit, when I did try the 1st book, I was totally biased cause of how mainstream it was. I didn't want to get into it, which is probably why I didn't lol. Or at least partly why.

I will say I have the book ordered though, should arrive in less than a week. And Walmart had an awesome sale where they had books 1-6 for 25$ all together. Since book 1 was like 10$ as it was, yeah I couldn't turn that deal down, so I have a boxset minus 1 book coming my way (that I can order later). I'm horrible right? lmao.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »

Hey SOME of us never joined the Harry Potter bandwagon LOL.

Though I have to admit, when I did try the 1st book, I was totally biased cause of how mainstream it was. I didn't want to get into it, which is probably why I didn't lol. Or at least partly why.

I will say I have the book ordered though, should arrive in less than a week. And Walmart had an awesome sale where they had books 1-6 for 25$ all together. Since book 1 was like 10$ as it was, yeah I couldn't turn that deal down, so I have a boxset minus 1 book coming my way (that I can order later). I'm horrible right? lmao.

I hope you're able to get into it this time!  If you can just read book one and two and enjoy them, you'll get to three and it gets more "mature" as you go.  As Harry grows up, so does the storyline and... well, it really is worth reading the series.  :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2009, 08:25:54 PM »

I finished Cell and busted out my Sorcerer's Stone book tonight!  I'm excited because I got the complete set of hardback books for the Christmas before last, so that I'd have them all matching, and so I could put my old books in my classroom library, and I realized I have never cracked open the shiny, new hardback version of Sorcerer's Stone.  Love!
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2009, 08:28:06 PM »

I have actually sarted to read this already. Hagrid has just made his entrance lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2009, 12:12:10 AM »

My books arrived today. (and a day early so yay, this is why I love walmart.com's shipping).

I already finished Sorcerers Stone. What does that tell you? LOL. I really enjoyed the book once I gave it a chance. I feel cheap for that lmao, but I totally did. Once you get past the beginning where he's still with the Dursleys, it really picks up. I enjoyed seeing the story of a boy who's supposed to be a legendary hero, but he has no idea who he is, and is fighting to learn for himself who he is beyond the stories. It's really a story of self discovery, wrapped within the fun fantasy magic.

I'm now making my way through Chamber of Secrets. I also hate Draco lol.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6