Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: The recommend a great book thread  (Read 12811 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The recommend a great book thread
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2011, 02:44:08 PM »

Oh cool, didn't know the movie was already out.  I'll have to catch it on DVD then; I wanna read the book first.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2011, 03:28:37 PM »

I'm going to have to check those two books out. The only Halocaust books I've read were the ones from high school "Night" by Eli Wiesel and "The Diary of Anne Frank".

Do you guys watch any of the Halocaust/Natzi movies on Netflix?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2011, 05:25:54 AM »

I sometimes watch specials about it on the History channel but i'm not big on the movies. Another great but highly disturbing book/movie taking place during the Holocaust is "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas." I've actually never read "Night"
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2011, 08:54:23 AM »

I've seen that movie Mare, it was so tragic but a good film.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »

Finally finished Sarah's Key. It took me a long time to read it mainly because it's that sad and depressing but a great book. Extremely intense read but well worth it. Don't read it if you have somewhere to be lol or students coming and going.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2011, 07:24:20 AM »

I've downloaded a sample of it for my Kindle app on my phone, if I like it, I'll buy the book.  I won't read in work though, not if it's going to bring on the tears.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2011, 02:43:01 PM »

It'll definitely bring on tears lol

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2012, 12:40:24 AM »

You guys probably already saw my Twitterpation over this book but I'm more than halfway through it and already added it to my favorite all time list --- "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green.

Anyone read any others of his books? Is he always amazing or did I happen to stumble into his "one-hit wonder" book?
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2012, 01:01:44 PM »

I've not heard of it, so I just had a look on Amazon and it looks really good.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2012, 05:24:49 AM »

I just finished a really good book called A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly.  It's set in 1906 in the state of New York and focuses on a girl called Mattie.  She wants to go to college and be a writer someday but family commitments get in the way and she is torn over what to do, does she stay and live a life of drudgery or follow her dreams?  There is a little bit of romance, murder mystery and drama in the book and I couldn't put it down.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2012, 01:39:29 AM »

Has anyone read that new Stephen King book, then one about JFK? I kind of adored it, it wasn't as sci-fi as I expected considering it was including Time Travel but I really loved where he went with it.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2012, 05:46:11 AM »

Not heard of it, but might have to get it from the library some day if it's good.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »

It looked interesting; I'll have to check it out!  I love Stephen King, but haven't read a lot of his newer ones.  The most recent one I've read was Cell, and I didn't like it as well as his older stuff.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2012, 04:13:25 PM »

I read Under The Dome, which was okay, but kinda eh. It was more about what happens when you cut people off from society and then random alien mentions to explain how the Dome around the town got there LOL. His JFK book was superior.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2012, 04:20:53 PM »

I read a ton over Christmas after my grandmother passed away and I had a few weeks off work -- so I've got a lot of books - some good, some not so much.  I really enjoyed these three though;

The Help = I'm sure you've all heard of it and many have read it, but it really was good - definitely something I got into easily and was able to read over the course of a few days!

Little Bee -- I definitely recommend this one!  I really loved it, but bring your tissues to bed with you if you decide to read it because  :'(

Sing You Home -- Jodi Picoult -- probably one of my favorites by Jodi.  I don't know why, but it just seemed more real and raw than a lot of her stories that all sound the same.
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10