Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: The recommend a great book thread  (Read 12798 times)

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
Re: The recommend a great book thread
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »

Has anyone seen "One for the Money?"  I think it came out this past weekend, but I haven't heard anything about it.

I read that book years ago, and I have friends who love that series and were always excited about the possibility of a movie.  I'm wondering if it at all lives up to the book. 

underthesheets

• Fledgling
    • Under The Sheets
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2012, 08:30:49 PM »

Haven't seen it.  But I looked up the review on ew.com aka My Bible and they gave it a D.  Ouch!  I read the book and wasn't impressed.  I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD to see it.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2012, 11:39:55 PM »

I enjoyed the movie. It had been so long since I read the books... the books are like my junk food of reading heh.  The movie wasn't bad as long as you separate the two (which is the case with most all books/movies)  I like Katherine Heigel though.  I enjoyed the movie for what it was...
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2012, 10:24:53 AM »

I've read the first couple of books but not seen the movie yet, I will wait for DVD.

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »

Hmm... ok, thanks.  This is one I'll probably rent/netflix when it comes out.  :)  Yeah, Katherine H. does some good movies.  I haven't read the book it so long it'll be easy to separate the two because I don't really remember what happened.  lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2012, 05:59:05 AM »

I loved the book but Sherri Shepherd is enough to keep me away lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2012, 11:30:41 PM »

Just saw Water for Elephants and HATED the movie. I wasn't a huge fan of the book because of all the animal cruelty but the book club decided to watch the movie and sadly there was a lot of animal cruelty in the movie as well. If I was in a real theater and not someone's home I would have walked out. The acting was subpar as well except for the old Jake and Rosie. Also the evil guy was good. I normally love Reese but Not in this one.

On a side note, the host had her own movie theater in her basement!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2012, 11:38:33 PM »

The home theater is cool!  Wish I had one LOL.

I actually thought the Water for Elephants movie was a pretty good adaptation of the book.  I enjoyed both, and the animal cruelty actually didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.  Go figure... I bawl like a baby at Dumbo, but didn't shed a tear over Water for Elephants.  I'm weird.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2012, 05:37:10 AM »

Wow lol I couldn't get past it. Maybe if I was more enthralled with the plot or something, but by the time Rosie came in I was already annoyed with the slow pace of the film.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »

I really enjoyed the film too, it didn't have quite as much cruelty as the book, which was good. 

Wow, a movie theatre in the basement sounds great! 

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2012, 04:30:45 AM »

Thanks for the recommendation Mare, I'm now reading 11.22.63 by Stephen King.  I've got to the part where I think it's all going to start happening, where he's just got to Al's diner and been faced with something impossible to believe (won't give any more away in here).  I've just got the sample on my phone, but will download the whole thing when the sample comes to an end :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2012, 06:25:13 AM »

Yay! I hope you'll like it & yup, the fun is about to begin :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2012, 06:28:21 AM »

I'm up to the part where Jake just got back from his first trip and the sample finished, grrrrrrr.  I need to buy the rest of it now, even though it costs £10 on Kindle, which is expensive for a book.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2012, 06:32:28 AM »

Yeah I guess it's pretty pricey. The actual book was about $20 but because my students know I love to read I usually get a ton of B&N gift cards so I used one of those. I'm buying a few more books this week since I'm almost done with this one. I'll be using some more gift cards for this too! I haven't had to use money for books in a long time lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2012, 06:42:36 AM »

That's really nice of your students to get you gift cards.  I usually get my books from the sharing shelf in work, car boot sales or the library.  The Kindle ones I usually read are the free ones or the cheap 77p ones.  This Stephen King book is one I'm going to have to pay out for :)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10